You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition
Started by AspiringERMD
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
The recent hoopla on naturopathy and homeopathy confirms the legitimacy of the following history:
History of medicine
Example: I have an earache.
2000 B.C. - Here, eat this root.
1000 A.D. - That root is heathen. Here, say this prayer.
1850 A.D. - That prayer is superstition. Here, drink this potion.
1940 A.D. - That potion is snake oil. Here, swallow this pill.
1985 A.D. - That pill is ineffective. Here, take this antibiotic.
2000 A.D. - That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root.
History of medicine
Example: I have an earache.
2000 B.C. - Here, eat this root.
1000 A.D. - That root is heathen. Here, say this prayer.
1850 A.D. - That prayer is superstition. Here, drink this potion.
1940 A.D. - That potion is snake oil. Here, swallow this pill.
1985 A.D. - That pill is ineffective. Here, take this antibiotic.
2000 A.D. - That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root.
T
Thpinky
Not Georgia. But very close😉Sounds like Georgia. Lol.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
T
Thpinky
haha nope none of those sorry!is it bad that vague posts like this always get turned into Geography quizzes by me?
My first guess was Michigan with MSU being the non-research school, but then I forgot about Central and Western.
North Carolina?
T
Thpinky
One of those haha I didn't think this was going to turn into a guessing game.I think the only three states that fit the 4MD 1DO schools are Tennessee, Georgia and North Carolina.
One of those haha I didn't think this was going to turn into a guessing game.
Tennessee!
The recent hoopla on naturopathy and homeopathy confirms the legitimacy of the following history:
History of medicine
Example: I have an earache.
2000 B.C. - Here, eat this root.
1000 A.D. - That root is heathen. Here, say this prayer.
1850 A.D. - That prayer is superstition. Here, drink this potion.
1940 A.D. - That potion is snake oil. Here, swallow this pill.
1985 A.D. - That pill is ineffective. Here, take this antibiotic.
2000 A.D. - That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root.
You are missing William Osler's hay day at the turn of the 20th century.
"That potion is snake oil, just get some rest you will probably be ok."
Half the usernames on here are something to that effect 😀I was using tinder and stumbled upon a username to the affect of PreMedChick 96. Sigh.
The current senator of my school's premed club is current studying to take the MCAT this summer and planning to submit his application this October, when he will apply to two (yes, two) schools. He's also in the process of retaking General Biology and General Chemistry due to poor grades the first time around. And to top off this whole scenario, he's talking about how excited he is to not have to attend the first year of medical school because he's doing an SMP next year.
I realize that. However, this isn't a dating site.Half the usernames on here are something to that effect 😀
The current senator of my school's premed club is current studying to take the MCAT this summer and planning to submit his application this October, when he will apply to two (yes, two) schools. He's also in the process of retaking General Biology and General Chemistry due to poor grades the first time around. And to top off this whole scenario, he's talking about how excited he is to not have to attend the first year of medical school because he's doing an SMP next year.
How does someone so misinformed get to be an officer in a pre-med club? Dude is probably spreading his ignorance to poor pre-meds.
What a dumb***.The current senator of my school's premed club is current studying to take the MCAT this summer and planning to submit his application this October, when he will apply to two (yes, two) schools. He's also in the process of retaking General Biology and General Chemistry due to poor grades the first time around. And to top off this whole scenario, he's talking about how excited he is to not have to attend the first year of medical school because he's doing an SMP next year.
It seems like every pre-med I talk to who doesn't use SDN is a total newb.
I wonder what the acceptance rate is among those who frequent SDN before applying.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
He's as well-informed as the rest of the club officers. Which explains why I went to two meetings then stopped going.How does someone so misinformed get to be an officer in a pre-med club? Dude is probably spreading his ignorance to poor pre-meds.
Taking the MCAT in August after finishing up post bac and only applying to NYU and Columbia 'because my father knows people there'. This individual absolutely refused to even consider any other plans because 'they are good contacts'
Oh the 1970's, I wonder what that was like.
Taking the MCAT in August after finishing up post bac and only applying to NYU and Columbia 'because my father knows people there'. This individual absolutely refused to even consider any other plans because 'they are good contacts'
Yea I was guilty of that in my younger dumber days. I obviously did not have good contacts.
Oh the 1970's, I wonder what that was like.
Totally off topic but I dunno why it took me so long but your handle is CHRONO TRIGGER!!! Such a great game.
Taking the MCAT in August after finishing up post bac and only applying to NYU and Columbia 'because my father knows people there'. This individual absolutely refused to even consider any other plans because 'they are good contacts'
When his rejections start coming in.
I was there. It wasn't like this.Oh the 1970's, I wonder what that was like.
I was there. It wasn't like this.
Well played, sir (or madam). Well played. 👍
ECU doesn't.Wake, Duke, and UNC all have research focus, right?
"Just start off as an EMT, work your way up the medical ladder, and you may make physician one day!!!"
I'm pretty sure that only works in the Sims . . .
On the briefly touched upon topic of roots as medicine, I heard this little gem on NPR today:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/04/20/398806514/fda-ponders-whether-homeopathy-is-medicine
The patient and homeopath doctor (who apparently went to medical school and practiced as a "regular doctor" before switching over) were incensed that the horrible FDA might not allow him to charge for unscientifically proven cures.
Yeah, but I doubt many think ECU is the 3rd best in NC.ECU doesn't.
4 MD + 1 DO?
Not NC nor MI...could be GA! BUT, could also be MO.
Quick, can you name them??
Not NC nor MI...could be GA! BUT, could also be MO.
Quick, can you name them??
is it bad that vague posts like this always get turned into Geography quizzes by me?
My first guess was Michigan with MSU being the non-research school, but then I forgot about Central and Western.
North Carolina?
MO has 4 MD + 2 DO
4 MD + 1 DO?
Not NC nor MI...could be GA! BUT, could also be MO.
Quick, can you name them??
You're right! I forgot about KCUMB...was thinking of the KC, KS not MO.
MO has 4 MD + 2 DO
random mom of undergrad student who attends a nearby college begins bashing my undergrad university for its "poor science programs"
I mention how "despite some weakness in the lab components, the science professors here are excellent teachers, I have actually been accepted to medical school and I felt this university has prepared me very well"
lady replies by pointing out that "its not really that difficult to get in to medical school; 40% acceptance is the average, and at some schools its as high as 90%"
1. oh, did a 10-second google search tell you that? check your stats
2. way to completely change the topic from discussing undergrad academics to insulting pre-med students
I mention how "despite some weakness in the lab components, the science professors here are excellent teachers, I have actually been accepted to medical school and I felt this university has prepared me very well"
lady replies by pointing out that "its not really that difficult to get in to medical school; 40% acceptance is the average, and at some schools its as high as 90%"
1. oh, did a 10-second google search tell you that? check your stats
2. way to completely change the topic from discussing undergrad academics to insulting pre-med students
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
random mom of undergrad student who attends a nearby college begins bashing my undergrad university for its "poor science programs"
I mention how "despite some weakness in the lab components, the science professors here are excellent teachers, I have actually been accepted to medical school and I felt this university has prepared me very well"
lady replies by pointing out that "its not really that difficult to get in to medical school; 40% acceptance is the average, and at some schools its as high as 90%"
1. oh, did a 10-second google search tell you that? check your stats
2. way to completely change the topic from discussing undergrad academics to insulting pre-med students
I used to hate myself for relocating out of beautiful California for high school. However, after having been naturalized into an overall highly uncompetitive state, I feel fortunate to attend college here.This guy I know keeps complaining how he hates being stuck in Texas. He plans to head straight for Cali and never look back. Dude, you're gonna look back and wish you hadn't ditched the UTs for maaaaybe a crapshoot at the UCs.
I suppose everything has its gives and takes, pros and cons. I admit to being guilty of wanting to go OOS myself once, but I've heard everywhere from in and outside the forum that the quantity and quality of Texas schools are hard to beat, so I've gotten better at appreciating being a Texan.I used to hate myself for relocating out of beautiful California for high school. However, after having been naturalized into an overall highly uncompetitive state, I feel fortunate to attend college here.
You gotta work with what you got!I suppose everything has its gives and takes, pros and cons. I admit to being guilty of wanting to go OOS myself once, but I've heard everywhere from in and outside the forum that the quantity and quality of Texas schools are hard to beat, so I've gotten better at appreciating being a Texan.
I have friends who have matriculated from my state to UBerkley, for example, and tell me how crushingly difficult it can be.
This makes me question the pre-med system. If I can coast through with a near 4.0 and score high on the MCAT should there be such rigorous expectations insofar as GPA is concerned? I mean my classes are EASY. I study my ass off but so long as I try with all my might I can pretty much make an A, every time. I know my circumstance just isn't a reality for a lot of other students in the country, which isn't fair.
I suppose this whole system is here for gatekeeping purposes but sometimes I just think my energy would be better directed at studying medicine and skipping undergad. I love learning but medicine is what I want to study. Sure biology, anthropology, math, and physics are interesting, but I can always read a book on those subjects should I want to. Once again, I know this system grinds the weak ones to dust, but still.
So much digression. This was just on my mind.
Someone can go ahead and quote me because I'm pretty sure this post qualifies as a funny quote from a less informed pre-med.
Mom was definitely a jerk, but her stats are correct (if only misinterpreted) from what I recall. 40% doesn't mean it's easy though since many people give up well before applying to medical school, and some schools have committees that eliminate a good chunk of applicants by refusing to write letters.random mom of undergrad student who attends a nearby college begins bashing my undergrad university for its "poor science programs"
I mention how "despite some weakness in the lab components, the science professors here are excellent teachers, I have actually been accepted to medical school and I felt this university has prepared me very well"
lady replies by pointing out that "its not really that difficult to get in to medical school; 40% acceptance is the average, and at some schools its as high as 90%"
1. oh, did a 10-second google search tell you that? check your stats
2. way to completely change the topic from discussing undergrad academics to insulting pre-med students
Grade inflation is real, but if you scored well on your MCAT you probably could have maintained a 3.8 at a better school. Medical admissions are a bit random with 4 years in college + frequently a gap year or two. I'm pretty sure it would be impossible at the level of HS, as plenty of people can't cut it in college and would fail out of medical school.You gotta work with what you got!
I have friends who have matriculated from my state to UBerkley, for example, and tell me how crushingly difficult it can be.
This makes me question the pre-med system. If I can coast through with a near 4.0 and score high on the MCAT should there be such rigorous expectations insofar as GPA is concerned? I mean my classes are EASY. I study my ass off but so long as I try with all my might I can pretty much make an A, every time. I know my circumstance just isn't a reality for a lot of other students in the country, which isn't fair.
I suppose this whole system is here for gatekeeping purposes but sometimes I just think my energy would be better directed at studying medicine and skipping undergad. I love learning but medicine is what I want to study. Sure biology, anthropology, math, and physics are interesting, but I can always read a book on those subjects should I want to. Once again, I know this system grinds the weak ones to dust, but still.
So much digression. This was just on my mind.
Someone can go ahead and quote me because I'm pretty sure this post qualifies as a funny quote from a less informed pre-med.
random mom of undergrad student who attends a nearby college begins bashing my undergrad university for its "poor science programs"
I mention how "despite some weakness in the lab components, the science professors here are excellent teachers, I have actually been accepted to medical school and I felt this university has prepared me very well"
lady replies by pointing out that "its not really that difficult to get in to medical school; 40% acceptance is the average, and at some schools its as high as 90%"
1. oh, did a 10-second google search tell you that? check your stats
2. way to completely change the topic from discussing undergrad academics to insulting pre-med students
"Cool, let me know when you've gotten in!"
Sounded as if she meant 40% was the average for individual schools, which I suppose you could classify as a misinterpretation, but it's so gross as to completely reverse the meaning.Mom was definitely a jerk, but her stats are correct (if only misinterpreted) from what I recall. 40% doesn't mean it's easy though since many people give up well before applying to medical school, and some schools have committees that eliminate a good chunk of applicants by refusing to write letters.
I overheard a girl today say "I don't get why any one would want to go to a DO school." her friend responded "Why?" to which she responded "Because they aren't real doctors, it's not even near the same as an MD."
My eyes rolled into the back of my head.
Being apart of this thread has made me overly keen to this type of nonsense.
My eyes rolled into the back of my head.
Being apart of this thread has made me overly keen to this type of nonsense.
You gotta work with what you got!
I have friends who have matriculated from my state to UBerkley, for example, and tell me how crushingly difficult it can be.
This makes me question the pre-med system. If I can coast through with a near 4.0 and score high on the MCAT should there be such rigorous expectations insofar as GPA is concerned? I mean my classes are EASY. I study my ass off but so long as I try with all my might I can pretty much make an A, every time. I know my circumstance just isn't a reality for a lot of other students in the country, which isn't fair.
I went to a school known (at least locally) for grade DEFLATION.
It makes me so happy to see my uGPA is a solid 3.4. It fills me with happy feels to know some med schools won't even consider my app upon looking at my undergrad stats.

I'm sorry to hear that. You've been talking about this for like six months now. What's your game plan? If I remember you're taking a gap year?I went to a school known (at least locally) for grade DEFLATION.
It makes me so happy to see my uGPA is a solid 3.4. It fills me with happy feels to know some med schools won't even consider my app upon looking at my undergrad stats.![]()
I overheard a girl today say "I don't get why any one would want to go to a DO school." her friend responded "Why?" to which she responded "Because they aren't real doctors, it's not even near the same as an MD."
For extra credit, find a gif of this!
Y U NO MOVE!?!?!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I win. 😛
Last edited:
![]()
I win. 😛
Ding ding ding!
Damn, it worked on my device. 🙁
Sure it did. Compile your code better brah! 😛
I'm sorry to hear that. You've been talking about this for like six months now. What's your game plan? If I remember you're taking a gap year?
Took a couple gap years.
Got my MS.
Beat the MCAT.
Got a pub, some poster presentations, and some A+ LoRs.
Blah blah blah. You don't want to hear the whole story.
Needless to say (because it is so obvious by some of my posts here), I think some of the "unstated requirements" for applying to med school are ridiculous and/or pointless because they benefit those of higher SES/with strong family ties/lucky enough to get into an ivy/with ancestors of certain racial descent/and other factors which are unrelated to how well the individual actually is suited to medical school.
Now go ahead and quote this post because it's a dumb thing a premed said. 👍
D
deleted642188
This guy I know keeps complaining how he hates being stuck in Texas. He plans to head straight for Cali and never look back. Dude, you're gonna look back and wish you hadn't ditched the UTs for maaaaybe a crapshoot at the UCs.
LMAO I live in New York and I know someone from my school who thinks the SUNYs are too tough and wants to relocate to Cali and wing it for the UCs! XD
Last edited by a moderator:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 32
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 632
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 3K