Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this counts as "misinformed" but definitely kinda arrogant:
http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2012/04/cutthroat-premed-culture-change.html

This premed has decided med schools have it all wrong - HE knows what it takes to be a good doctor and medical schools need to start changing their admissions criteria to reflect his brilliant ideas.

Hey you Diageo shill, shut your pie hole. Kevin is "Social media's leading [hope to be] physician voice."
;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey you Diageo shill, shut your pie hole. Kevin is "Social media's leading [hope to be] physician voice."
;)

Hahaha, well for what it's worth, that particular screed was actually written by a pre-med named "Roheet Kakaday"

Anatomy professor explaining blood pressure and how it is measured in millimeters of mercury...

Girl: "But what if the patient is allergic to mercury?"

Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone seen some of these premed anon twitter accounts? I was going to post a couple screencaps before I realized some of them might actually be on here...

Anyway if you search twitter for "premed" you'll be treated to some of the most solipsistic and mind-numbing strings of rambling vaguely pre-med related nonsense ever.
So what, you are afraid that if you posted a few screens of these twitter accounts and the real users of those accounts happen to see it, they will what….tweet about you?

Reactions: 1 users
So what, you are afraid that if you posted a few screens of these twitter accounts and the real users of those accounts happen to see it, they will what….tweet about you?

Totally!

Reactions: 1 user
It'll end up being a "pre med prodigy" mess all over again. Although his tweets were a guilty pleasure to read :p

I'm in a glorified high school health class for a requirement to get my degree. It seems like this class has its own healthy helping of pre-meds, and me and the only other Math major in the class sit next to each other and chill every now and then.

Today, we had the special joy of going over the unit on STIs. And, you know, this unit is chock-full of statistics to inform people in between the awkward bursts of laughter from the freshman.

It was going along fine until it was announced that 400 out of 100,000 U.S adults have Chlamydia. Some pre-med yelled immediately after the statistic was announced, surprised, "HOLY ****, 400 PERCENT OF PEOPLE HAVE CHLAMYDIA?"

My friend and I thought it was a joke until everyone started looking at each other nervously.

I shudder at the thought of these people becoming physicians/dentists/pharmacists/etc. Hell, I wouldn't trust half the pre-pharm majors(yes, it's a 2 year quasi-major here) to dispense different color Tic-Tacs. And some of the pre-meds here shouldn't be diagnosing anything other than what's wrong with the McFlurry machine.

In my opinion, the pre-vet bunch is the worst of all of the pre-professional majors. The university I attend is about 50% pre-vets and good god it is hilarious. But I completely agree, it's scary and I wouldn't even trust them to suggest cat food.

In my opinion, the pre-vet bunch is the worst of all of the pre-professional majors. The university I attend is about 50% pre-vets and good god it is hilarious. But I completely agree, it's scary and I wouldn't even trust them to suggest cat food.

Well, I subscribe to the idea that, for the most part, people in a particular major/track fit one out of three/four categories of people.

Take Psychology, for example. You have the really nice folks, the ones going for a graduate degree, and the people who need to figure out what's wrong with them since no one else could.

At least that's how it seems to work in my school.

But I've only met two pre-vets and they seem to be alright. Now, if the girl in one of my earlier posts realizes that she's looking for aquatic veterinary medicine, she will be the one to worry about.

I'm in a glorified high school health class for a requirement to get my degree. It seems like this class has its own healthy helping of pre-meds, and me and the only other Math major in the class sit next to each other and chill every now and then.

Today, we had the special joy of going over the unit on STIs. And, you know, this unit is chock-full of statistics to inform people in between the awkward bursts of laughter from the freshman.

It was going along fine until it was announced that 400 out of 100,000 U.S adults have Chlamydia. Some pre-med yelled immediately after the statistic was announced, surprised, "HOLY ****, 400 PERCENT OF PEOPLE HAVE CHLAMYDIA?"

My friend and I thought it was a joke until everyone started looking at each other nervously.

I shudder at the thought of these people becoming physicians/dentists/pharmacists/etc. Hell, I wouldn't trust half the pre-pharm majors(yes, it's a 2 year quasi-major here) to dispense different color Tic-Tacs. And some of the pre-meds here shouldn't be diagnosing anything other than what's wrong with the McFlurry machine.
Don't worry, they won't. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
What's prevet like at other places? At my school, they take basically the same requirements as the premeds do, minus physics I believe, are all pretty capable, and feed into Cornell pretty heavily.

So I always thought prevet was similar to premed in terms of basic sciences, minus labs and orgo, of course. Never looked into it at all, though, so I'm probably very wrong lol :laugh:

Last edited:
What's prevet like at other places? At my school, they take basically the same requirements as the premeds do, minus physics I believe, are all pretty capable, and feed into Cornell pretty heavily.

So I always thought prevet was similar to premed in terms of basic sciences, minus labs and orgo, of course. Never looked into it at all, though, so I'm probably very wrong lol :laugh:
They have to take physics and orgo as well, the pre-reqs are basically the same across with the exceptions of a few schools of course

Saw a kid I went to high-school with at the gym about a month ago. He was always kind of a pathological liar lol. We started talking about what we have been up to since we graduated.

Him: What have you been doing since high school?
Me: Graduated from college, got accepted to med school couple of weeks ago, and start next year. What about you?
Him: Yeah me too! What kind of doctor do you want to be?
Me: Way to go! Its still early, so I'm not sure. But I'm leaning towards surgical oncology (Followed by explanation why). And you?
Him: Just a general doctor or maybe oncology. We could be working together! Where you going to medical school?
Me: General doctor... Yeah... At MSU, you?
Him: University of Michigan, It's harder than MSU.
Me: Oh nice... You getting nervous?
Him: Yup! Its close, I forgot when I actually start, it's like early January I think.
Me: Ohhh January eh? :rolleyes:

He was a bit believable at first, but the ending made me laugh at him a little. He quickly got out of there after, Haha. So what was he trying to prove...?

Reactions: 4 users
The acceptance rate inflation is so true. At my school it seems like ours was always pushing people who weren't strong candidates into podiatry or chiropractor school. He made two of my friends cry on multiple occasions.

An adviser told me to steer clear of anything medicine AND nursing and look into recreational therapy. Such people motivate me as I took her advice as a challenge. I'll work even harder to get into med school and have them to thank once I get there. :)

Oh, and to contribute of course.

A coworker told me that it's impossible to get into US med school traditionally, and that I have to go Caribbean and then transfer in. Whaaaa...? :eek:

An adviser told me to steer clear of anything medicine AND nursing and look into recreational therapy. Such people motivate me as I took her advice as a challenge. I'll work even harder to get into med school and have them to thank once I get there. :)

Ugh...I feel like this all the time. As someone who's trying to turn my extremely low GPA around, I've had my fair share of people laugh/look down upon me...tell me that I will never get into medical school, that I am wasting my time, that I should try something "easier", and that I am absolutely not smart enough. I really use it to fuel myself and push myself to work harder. When it's 4AM and I think "enough studying, time for bed", I remind myself of how horrible these people are and it really pushes me to stay up an extra hour. And when the day comes that I am holding the acceptance letter in my hands...I'll remember how much they motivated me without them even knowing it :)

Reactions: 5 users
Ugh...I feel like this all the time. As someone who's trying to turn my extremely low GPA around, I've had my fair share of people laugh/look down upon me...tell me that I will never get into medical school, that I am wasting my time, that I should try something "easier", and that I am absolutely not smart enough. I really use it to fuel myself and push myself to work harder. When it's 4AM and I think "enough studying, time for bed", I remind myself of how horrible these people are and it really pushes me to stay up an extra hour. And when the day comes that I am holding the acceptance letter in my hands...I'll remember how much they motivated me without them even knowing it :)

Good lord... You might encounter some more success if you considered sleeping...

Reactions: 2 users

Up until 4am studying as a pre med? Geeze. How will you ever sleep if you get into medical school?

My friend: "I don't know how you can stomach the thought of being a doctor, listening to people complain about their pains and their expectation for immediate results it sounds kind of like a bore.
Me: Well medicine can be exciting. and it all depends on what you decide to focus on. being able to understand all the nuances of the human body and the things that sometimes go wrong is quite interesting
Him: So its kind of like House?
Me: Well take reality out of medicine and you might get something similar to House

My friend: "I don't know how you can stomach the thought of being a doctor, listening to people complain about their pains and their expectation for immediate results it sounds kind of like a bore.
Me: Well medicine can be exciting. and it all depends on what you decide to focus on. being able to understand all the nuances of the human body and the things that sometimes go wrong is quite interesting
Me: Well take reality out of medicine and you might get something similar to House
Your friend's first sentence is shockingly well-informed, though...

Your friend's first sentence is shockingly well-informed, though...
He has uncles that are doctors, and lets just say when they talk to him they usually are complaining about patients. The misinformation is his question.

He has uncles that are doctors, and lets just say when they talk to him they usually are complaining about patients. The misinformation is his question.
Yeah, I got that...just pointing out that he seems to have a better grasp on the realities of medicine than 95% of the people who plan to go into it.

Yeah, I got that...just pointing out that he seems to have a better grasp on the realities of medicine than 95% of the people who plan to go into it.
And that 95% sometimes even includes the professors in medical school.

The following was an anatomy professor's response to a question I asked during lecture about the PQRS vector and how T wave inversions and ST depressions form during an MI...

Prof: "I honestly have no idea. You'll learn more about that in cardiology school."
Our class: *face palm*

Then one of our physician profs/mentors stepped up and eloquently explained the concept. In the anatomist's defense, I just think he uses that term but really knows how the curriculum works. It was still funny, though.

My dad's a doctor (radiologist). He gets absolutely infuriated by house.

"I'VE SEEN LIKE TWO OF THESE THINGS, TWO! IN MY 40 YEAR CAREER!"

He also claims after he retires, he wants to be hired by medical TV shows to orient x-rays the right way.

Reactions: 3 users
My dad's a doctor (radiologist). He gets absolutely infuriated by house.

"I'VE SEEN LIKE TWO OF THESE THINGS, TWO! IN MY 40 YEAR CAREER!"

He also claims after he retires, he wants to be hired by medical TV shows to orient x-rays the right way.
Does scrubs really bother him that much?

Haha, it bothers me too. THE HEART IS ON THE WRONG SIDE!!!!!!

Haha, it bothers me too. THE HEART IS ON THE WRONG SIDE!!!!!!

Nah, those TV docs know what they're doing. Situs inversus with dextrocardia is just abnormally prevalent in the TV universe...

and then the work begins

This happened a couple days ago, a junior at a local community college:

Me: So you are pre-med, huh?
Girl: Yes, I am gonna go to Johns Hopkins
Me: Wow, that's ambitious. What is you GPA?
Girl: Well I should have a 3.3 by the time I graduate if I keep doing as well as I am.
Me: Have you looked into the MCAT yet?
Girl: MCAT? What is that?
Me: You should check out SDN.

This happened a couple days ago, a junior at a local community college:

Me: So you are pre-med, huh?
Girl: Yes, I am gonna go to Johns Hopkins
Me: Wow, that's ambitious. What is you GPA?
Girl: Well I should have a 3.3 by the time I graduate if I keep doing as well as I am.
Me: Have you looked into the MCAT yet?
Girl: MCAT? What is that?
Me: You should check out SDN.
I recommend SDN on almost a daily basis. I'm currently in the process of using it to rescue a girl who's advisor is telling her, "if you don't major in chemistry you, you can't get into med school."

I recommend SDN on almost a daily basis. I'm currently in the process of using it to rescue a girl who's advisor is telling her, "if you don't major in chemistry you, you can't get into med school."
Ugh, that is so bad. It is rare that you find an "advisor" that actually advises you correctly.

Ouch! Though I have to say I wouldn't trust some of my classmates (in vet school) with my pets...

They have to take physics and orgo as well, the pre-reqs are basically the same across with the exceptions of a few schools of course

This. Plus we had some other random pre-reqs depending on the schools you apply to (animal nutrition, animal science, communications, physiology, cell bio, to name a few).

I don't know if it's been said, but one person had no idea what the Step exams were or that they even existed. Also, another person said a class was stupid because the teacher made us remember stuff from slides. Um, that's medical school and Step 1 right there!

Oh man. This reminds me of what a girl asked me at our last premed meeting. "My friend wants to change majors from bio sci to criminal justice, but her adviser told her if she does, then she can't get into med school". Sadly, I laughed one of those "wtf" laughs because it sounded so ridiculous to me.

Anyway, recommending SDN is the way to go. I'm always astonished at how few people have heard of it. They're lucky really. I wish someone told me about SDN years ago.

I just can't imagine any school letting someone do 25 CR if they were also working. I have a hard time imaging most schools letting you register for 25 CR period-generally you have to fight tooth and nail to get over 18. Unless they meant to type 15 and missed?

It's possible, but not a pleasant experience. I completed 22 credits hours one semester and worked a job. I think I could have pulled off one more class (i.e. to make 25 credit hours), but I wouldn't have been able to sleep for more than 3-4 hours a night.

Some girl told me she wanted to open her own practice right when she got out of medical school because she "didn't want to put up with all that residency bull****."

Maybe she meant that she wouldn't do a regular residency to become board certified, but rather, would complete one year of post-graduate education/internship and pass the state licensing exam. In many states, at that point, she could, in theory, practice medicine independently even though the number of institutions willing to hire her may be reduced.

There's an advisor who's an MD/PhD here who suggested that a friend "just get a PhD in a clinical science so it will be easier to get into an MD school." And the student thought it was pretty swell advice.

From zoo lab while dissecting a fish: "Oh my gosh, this is so much better than the cell stuff because it's closer to humans!" From the same person, "I really love dissecting these starfish, it feel so human, and it's more like what I want to do, I could see myself as like a pediatric heart surgeon."

Met another pre-med student outside a class who had a question about the homework, and when he found out I was pre-med he started drilling me on my GPA, sGPA, volunteer hours, etc. Never cracked a smile.

pre-med the other day, "Ya I have a 2.7 GPA so I am just gonna go DO, no big deal" Me, "Man you need at least a 3.3 for DO." Him, "Naa man DO school is all about extracurriculars--and mine are stacked." lmaooooo wow!

Lab coats are a part of PPE, not a status symbol. Working in a chemistry or biology lab, especially micro, can expose you to things you would rather not have on your clothes all day. Not to mention many chemicals that are not that harmful to your health can ruin clothing very easily. For that reason, wearing a lab coat in a lab is simply a good idea.

The above does not, of course, apply to those who wear their lab coats all over campus, who are obviously just trying to look important.

This.

Maybe they are just going with how people says "I am taking the SATs" when technically it should just be SAT, without the s.

Have you never heard of the SAT II subject tests?

LoL, I've had so many professors like this. In fact, my Social Psychology/Research Methods professor took it a notch further. One day he poses this deal to the entire class mid-semester, in all seriousness: "I'll grant two As outright, right here, right now, if one of you lets one of your classmates in here punch you in the face. That's right, two As, no questions asked. Any volunteers?" As uncouth as it was, I found it hilarious and ironic. Although a few entertained the idea, no one actually accepted the challenge. My wife and I remain good friends with this guy after he left (without getting fired, amazingly). He's just one of those sardonically blunt and hilarious guys. I have to wonder if he would've stopped the students had one reared a first back...

Hah, and on another day, he was alluding to the Flintstones during a lecture to describe the social implications underlying the show or something, when a student raised his hand to ask who Barney, Fred, and Wilma were. So he types something into google and turns around to address the class while the lecture hall projector screen was up and running. Suddenly the entire screen is peppered with Flintstone porn. We all just died laughing, frantic professor included as he dove to minimize the screen. Classic.

Man, I'm still laughing at that one. Okay, moving on to the more pre-med relevant stories...

I had a teacher in high school who killed a fly and then told the class that if anyone ate it, they would get an A on the test.

...someone ate it.

I tutor ochem once a week and I overheard these freshmen premeds...

Girl1: Yeah I'm a chem major now but I've heard that the upper level classes at our school are so hard and I kinda wanna switch into bio
Girl2: No no no don't switch cuz med schools like people that are not bio majors. It gives you more advantage since 99% who apply from our school are bio majors...
Me::lame:

I tutor ochem once a week and I overheard these freshmen premeds...

Girl1: Yeah I'm a chem major now but I've heard that the upper level classes at our school are so hard and I kinda wanna switch into bio
Girl2: No no no don't switch cuz med schools like people that are not bio majors. It gives you more advantage since 99% who apply from our school are bio majors...
Me::lame:

Girl 2 is a gunner. ;)

Just happened (I'm a high school senior):

Girl: "Well I got huge scholarship offers from these two schools, but I've already turned them down because they didn't have a Pre-med major. I really want to be a Doctor, so I'm basing my schools off of that."

Me: "You know most Doctors weren't Pre-med majors right? You can major in whatever you want and just take the necessary classes for medical school."

Girl: "Oh...." Sad and confused look on her face knowing she already turned down those scholarships for nothing....

My help came too late. :whoa:

Reactions: 4 users

Girl: "Well I got huge scholarship offers from these two schools, but I've already turned them down because they didn't have a Pre-med major. I really want to be a Doctor, so I'm basing my schools off of that."

Me: "You know most Doctors weren't Pre-med majors right? You can major in whatever you want and just take the necessary classes for medical school."

Girl: "Oh...." Sad and confused look on her face knowing she already turned down those scholarships for nothing....

hahahahaha oh my

oooooooooooooooh that had to hurt....

Status
Not open for further replies.