Funny Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Badger Girl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I had my St. Bernard, Beamer, go through the TDI (Therapy Dog International) testing on Saturday. He is 2 years old and I kind of suspected that he wouldn't make it, judging from his behavior during the three classes that we took. Surprisingly, he did very well all throughout the test....except for the "supervised separation" part. I had to leave the room for 3 minutes, so I handed the tester his leash and non-chalantly left the room. Soon, I heard him barking. No big deal. However, when they told me to come back in the room, all I saw was Beamer literally dragging the tester across the room toward me. At that point, she said "Beamer is a really nice dog, but....." So he didn't quite make it, but we'll try next year. Maybe it was a "you had to be there moment," but it was pretty funny anyway. I just bought a Gentle Leader and we are going to work with that for awhile. Although, according to a man behind me in line at the pet store, all you have to do is "jerk the leash" to stop them from pulling. Okay sir, who happens to have a 12 lb dog. Sorry, that's not going to work for a 165 lb beast!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

hehe that is funny! I love when people try to give you advice about your pets without really knowing what is going on... happens to me all the time at PetsMart.

Although, according to a man behind me in line at the pet store, all you have to do is "jerk the leash" to stop them from pulling. Okay sir, who happens to have a 12 lb dog. Sorry, that's not going to work for a 165 lb beast!! :D
Oh man. Just jerk the leash, huh? Hahaha. I only have a nine pound dog and that doesn't work. I mean, unless I jerk so hard I throw her back six feet, I guess. But I'm pretty sure that would only work for a few seconds if she survived it. :rolleyes:
We had a mastiff pup (8 months old, already 100+ lbs) come in to get spayed and she was NOT leash trained. Oh my lord. I weigh 250 lbs and am no weakling, but I was struggling. Thank goodness she never saw a squirrel or cat!

Members don't see this ad :)
That reminds me of a dog in the park I saw the other day. It was probably just a few months old and pretty small, but didn't seem to want to follow its owner. No, she just kept getting distracted by everything! Then the owner explained that it was her first day on a leash and didn't really understand the concept, and the owner also really didn't want to be dragging her dog along. At least the woman was being patient with her new dog :laugh:

We had a mastiff pup (8 months old, already 100+ lbs) come in to get spayed and she was NOT leash trained. Oh my lord. I weigh 250 lbs and am no weakling, but I was struggling. Thank goodness she never saw a squirrel or cat!

My mastiff pup is only about 4 months old and is already pretty strong, so I'm going to start early with him before he gets out of control!

I have a 120 german sheherd (full grown now). When he was a pup, he had a hard time 'heeling' and really thought that a walk on the leash meant that his job was to pull you after every pee smell that his nose caught scent of (alot - some probably nonexistent made up by his wishful thinking). We bought one of those head-collars that go on the nose that are supposed to help you teach your dog not to pull. He was a massive puppy. It did help, unless there was something more exciting elsewhere. As for choke collars - my dog disregarded them as if they were some kind of soft cloud stroking his neck. We had to get a choke collar with the spikes and do millions of repetitions of walking and stopping and sitting. Followed by walking and abruptly turning the other way (to teach him to pay attention) before he finally understood who was supposed to be leading the walk. I no longer use that collar and he responds well even with a normal nylon collar now so all I can say is training pays off in the end. Or maybe I just got bigger muscles than when I was 100 pounds and twelve years old...hmm...no, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

However, I completely agree with you. Some people think that a 100 pound dog will care about something scratching it's neck? From my experience - only if that means he'll get a belly rub too.

hehe that is funny! I love when people try to give you advice about your pets without really knowing what is going on... happens to me all the time at PetsMart.
Yeah, I was at PetSmart a while back with one of our working dogs, who was trained exclusively in German and sign language/whistle blasts.

The guy asked if he could give her a cookie and I told him sure, so he told her to sit and she was like "eh? what?" and so he told her to sit (more "huh?" from the dog) and then he sighed and went "just adopted her eh?" and I was like "nope, bred her myself, she's 9" and he was like "oh, um, you really should teach her basic obedience commands, they get so unruly" (meanwhile said dog is standing quietly at left heel, staring intently at the guy bothering mum) I was like "oh, she's trained in another language" and he was like "oh that's just a myth that people do that" and proceeded to PUT HIS HANDS ON MY DOG and force her to sit, while saying sit sit sit sit sit sit and then goood girl good good good and give her the cookie!

what an a-hat.

Yeah, I was at PetSmart a while back with one of our working dogs, who was trained exclusively in German and sign language/whistle blasts.

The guy asked if he could give her a cookie and I told him sure, so he told her to sit and she was like "eh? what?" and so he told her to sit (more "huh?" from the dog) and then he sighed and went "just adopted her eh?" and I was like "nope, bred her myself, she's 9" and he was like "oh, um, you really should teach her basic obedience commands, they get so unruly" (meanwhile said dog is standing quietly at left heel, staring intently at the guy bothering mum) I was like "oh, she's trained in another language" and he was like "oh that's just a myth that people do that" and proceeded to PUT HIS HANDS ON MY DOG and force her to sit, while saying sit sit sit sit sit sit and then goood girl good good good and give her the cookie!

what an a-hat.

Get the Heck out! And you could seriously stand there with a straight face as he did this?!?! That's too much. FYI our German Shephard is trained in German, too.

Tooo funny:laugh: - Everybody watch out for Orthonut's "unruly dog"

As soon as he backed off, and your pup stood back up, I would've just let out a chipper "Platz!" Depending on how much of an asshat the guy was, it'd be tempting to whisper "Revere."

Get the Heck out! And you could seriously stand there with a straight face as he did this?!?! That's too much. FYI our German Shephard is trained in German, too.
I was trying not to laugh, it was all I could do to hold it all together. I did give her the quiet SL command for "down/stay" and she dropped like a rock. Best dog ever!

People are such idiots! I would never, ever force another person's dog to sit down. I don't even do that to my own dogs. I guess we just have to remember that people of all kinds have pets and they all seem to know everything about them. Crazy.

Sitz! Bleib! We had a GSD come into the hospital that "spoke" German. There was a little tag on his cage that said, "Hi. My name is Blue. I speak German. My name is ponounced 'Ba-lou.'" Which was then followed by a list of translated words, two of which I think I remember... haha.

So dogs in Germany know commands in English? Because, according to the asshat's knowledge, dogs are incapable of learning any other language. So he makes the poor dog sit. Then, a Chihuahua walks by and says, "Usted es un asshat, señor." :)

Members don't see this ad :)
That's interesting :oops: because like twelvetigers stated, Sit in German= Sitz, if that obnoxious person said sit, I'd think your German Shepard could still understand and sit, unless it of course only obeys your command :)

I thought it was more like "seetz" phonetically. But, I took Japanese as my foreign language, not German. And you'd better believe I don't remember how to say "sit" in Japanese, much less anything else important. That's what happens when you take something like that with orgo and physics.

Soo des ne.

Ah, yea now that I recall, it is in fact pronounced as you stated, twelvetigers :p

I took French and going to take Russian hopefully in my undergrad, but I must say, I like the German language a lot. So powerful :p

I'd love to know all of the languages - it'd be so cool. I have NO patience forthat sort of thing, sadly. I'd also like to learn to play all instruments... again, no patience. And no time! Those would be my contenders if a genie popped out of wherever and granted a wish. I'll keep you updated on that one. :)

For now, I'll have to stick with the french horn, trumpet, English, and tiny shreds of what I remember from Japanese. I really should take Spanish... my last name happens to be one of the major hispanic names. The G one. Haha. Hey, my husband's the native, even though he was born in Ohio and doesn't speak a drop of it either.

I ate enchiladas tonight. Is that a start? Or just indigestion?

Could be the start of your flowering of Spanish culture! haha :p I'd like to learn all the instruments as well, especially the oboe :)

oh btw, nice Holy Grail quote ;)

Thanks! I have the LOLcats version on my Facebook. Cracks me up every time. I had a hard time avoiding the French guy quotes... but those were a bit too crude I thought, esp. if someone doesn't recognize the reference.

twelvetigers, you sound eerily like me in this regard. I have the problem where I want to learn how to do EVERYTHING, but most of the time I'm too impatient to actually focus on it, let alone progress in it.

(Erm.. bits of Spanish, currently learning French, really want to learn Japanese, have played piano, flute, violin, even the recorder, and I sang. It's been years since I touched a violin, and even though I'd have to spend a lot of time re-learning most of it, I've especially had the itch lately!)

Edit: Are you a Farker, twelvetigers? Just thought of you!
http://www.oregoncommentator.com/2008/05/07/eugene-fines-local-bar-for-shrubbery-sense-making/
http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=3589142

I thought it was more like "seetz" phonetically. But, I took Japanese as my foreign language, not German. And you'd better believe I don't remember how to say "sit" in Japanese, much less anything else important. That's what happens when you take something like that with orgo and physics.

Soo des ne.

"Suwatte, kudasai." If you want to be polite. If you really just want them to sit their hiney in the chair (and you're older/more senior than them), you could just say, "Suwatte!" I think my prof also used to sometimes say "suwatte mo ii:thumbdown: desu yo," which is sort of "it would be good if you sat." That's not quite right, but it's the kind of thing he might say to us ironically when he wanted us to sit down.

"Suwatte, kudasai." If you want to be polite. If you really just want them to sit their hiney in the chair (and you're older/more senior than them), you could just say, "Suwatte!" I think my prof also used to sometimes say "suwatte mo ii:thumbdown: desu yo," which is sort of "it would be good if you sat." That's not quite right, but it's the kind of thing he might say to us ironically when he wanted us to sit down.

There are so many ways you can say it depending on the tense and formality you'd want. For telling a dog to sit, I think it would just be suwatte, since you know, you are giving them a command.

There are so many ways you can say it depending on the tense and formality you'd want. For telling a dog to sit, I think it would just be suwatte, since you know, you are giving them a command.

Oh, right. We were talking about a dog. I forgot. :p

That's interesting :oops: because like twelvetigers stated, Sit in German= Sitz, if that obnoxious person said sit, I'd think your German Shepard could still understand and sit, unless it of course only obeys your command :)
We're talking about different dogs (not the new pup) He was like "SSSSS (pause) It"

She just knows better too. I mean, if I'd have handed her off to him she might have responded, but I still had her at heel.

No farking here, sorry. This is my only forum of any sort, unless you count Neopets.
*cackles*

Nowthat you say it, VAgirl, the word sounds familiar. I have a hunch I proly learned it in Japanese II. OH well.

I do, at least, remember some of the basic tense and structure rules. Just not very many words, and absolutely no Kanji.

I think that to tell a dog to sit people use the casual form "suwari" if they don't want to sound like a weirdo being too polite to their dog. ;)

I took Japanese as my language too. :oops:

PS: Down with Fark! Up with Something Awful!

I think that to tell a dog to sit people use the casual form "suwari" if they don't want to sound like a weirdo being too polite to their dog. ;)

I took Japanese as my language too. :oops:

Hm...I probably didn't get far enough in Japanese to learn that one (or I just plain forgot it). :)

Hm...I probably didn't get far enough in Japanese to learn that one (or I just plain forgot it). :)

That language is so weird with all the different ways to say things depending on who you're addressing. I mean I suppose you sort of have to with the lack of pronouns and all, but it was odd for me to learn!