Funny Interview Bloopers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGirlWithTheFernTattoo

West Coast Best Coast ECC Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a thread like this in Pre-Allo that's always an entertaining read, but I haven't seen one for the pre-vets (I used the search function I swear!).

As a community we must have some good stories, right? From vet school or otherwise.

My contribution from an interview I had today, since I unfortunately don't have any vet school interview stories to share:

Interviewer: "What is your greatest accomplishment that isn't related to work?"
Me: "That is a very good question...." *Crickets chirping inside my brain* "Well....I did get a hole in one on mini golf this summer!"
Interviewer: :eyebrow: (Yes, I got the eyebrow raise. Apparently they wanted a serious answer)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I got a serious case of foot-in-mouth a couple of months ago that I could probably share. Again, not for vet school, but instead for a position that was intended to improve my application if I hadn't gotten in this year.

Interviewers: So, tell us about yourself
Me: *with literally zero filter that day apparently and without missing a beat* Geez, I hate that question.
Interviewers: *dead silence* *laughter at my deer-in-the-headlights expression*

Reactions: 4 users
During my my first interview for vet school, I was asked to tell about a time I had a situation where I saw something unethical, and I how I approached the situation. I ended up speaking about a former coworker of mine, and I ended my answer with: “he was asked to resign, and he is no longer with us [the company].” And thats when it gets awkward...

I proceeded and said, “I mean, he's still 'with' us, he’s not dead, he just doesn't work with us.” And somehow I got nervous and kept babbling and I said something like, “Or at least I wont tell you where I hid the body.” *FACE PALM*

Lol, but the majority of that interview went amazing and I got accepted to that school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26 users
Members don't see this ad :)
During my my first interview for vet school, I was asked to tell about a time I had a situation where I saw something unethical, and I how I approached the situation. I ended up speaking about a former coworker of mine, and I ended my answer with: “he was asked to resign, and he is no longer with us [the company].” And thats when it gets awkward...

I proceeded and said, “I mean, he's still 'with' us, he’s not dead, he just doesn't work with us.” And somehow I got nervous and kept babbling and I said something like, “Or at least I wont tell you where I hid the body.” *FACE PALM*

Lol, but the majority of that interview went amazing and I got accepted to that school.
Omg :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users

You win. 100%

And congrats on the acceptance :)

In an interview for a position in an organization on campus, they tend to ask a mix between serious and silly questions, and one went kinda like this:

Interviewer: So name a Beyonce song that describes your life?
Me: *completely blank, only one song came to mind because it was playing in the car previously*: Drunk in Love. *long silent pause as they wait for me to explain* Not because I'm always drunk or anything, I just seem like it all the time *another long pause* because I goof around a lot and really love my peers?

Oh well, I got the position anyways lol

During a promotion board for the army (think panel interview):

Interviewer #4: You're out on a patrol and you see a bright flash in the distance (ie a nuclear explosion). What do you do?

Me, completely blanking on proper procedures for unexpected nuclear attack: Well, First Sergeant, I think I would get the f*ck out of there as fast as humanly possible.

I also introduced myself by the wrong name.

Reactions: 9 users
Uhh.. The funniest one I remember I suppose is when they were asking why me over someone else.

I started to describe how I'm really into gross stuff and would be the first one to pose with an eyeball after enucleation.

Then interviewer was like "OH WELL NO PHOTOS. :)"

And Then I was like "Darn I guess I'm worthless then."

Reactions: 1 user
My first vet school interview was a panel of people at a table with those spinning squishy chairs that have a little bit of give when you lean back and I was talking about being ready for anything and having quick reflexes and all the sudden it felt like my chair was falling over??? So I did that freak-out thing you do when you're falling and spun my arms out of control and gasped and grabbed the table very aggressively and it turns out my chair had a gentle recline and I literally hadn't been even close to falling. One of the interviewers applauded me... :smack:

Reactions: 6 users
My first vet school interview was a panel of people at a table with those spinning squishy chairs that have a little bit of give when you lean back and I was talking about being ready for anything and having quick reflexes and all the sudden it felt like my chair was falling over??? So I did that freak-out thing you do when you're falling and spun my arms out of control and gasped and grabbed the table very aggressively and it turns out my chair had a gentle recline and I literally hadn't been even close to falling. One of the interviewers applauded me... :smack:
Did you end up getting into that school??? :rofl:

I block out 95% of my interview experiences because I always always **** them up.

My friend shared an interview question she got, and it’s “what organ would you be, and why?” I answered her that I would be the pancreas because I’m pretty important, but I self destruct really easily. :laugh: Not an good interview answer, but let’s be honest here. :rofl:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I block out 95% of my interview experiences because I always always **** them up.

My friend shared an interview question she got, and it’s “what organ would you be, and why?” I answered her that I would be the pancreas because I’m pretty important, but I self destruct really easily. :laugh: Not an good interview answer, but let’s be honest here. :rofl:
This makes me want to write organ taglines.

Kidneys: vital, but replaceable, and you can get away with only having one. First one to melt down when anything even remotely bad happens

Adrenal gland: gives great gifts, but needs to be supervised because it scares the **** out of you and stresses you out

Gall bladder: works well with a superior, but God help you if you don't give it an outlet to dump frustrations into sometimes

Liver: doesn't delegate well, refuses to train new hires; hogs blood, attention, and bed sheets

Stomach: good at the daily grind, but not so good at knowing when it's working on more than it can handle until it's too late

Spleen: live large, die larger

GI tract: best and worst at security. Move along, nothing to see here.

Uterus/ovaries: hates training new hires, but begrudgingly does it anyway so it can retire someday

Testicles: temp agency aggressively firing workers at job openings until something sticks

Brain: simultaneously responsible for everything and not all that good at being responsible for everything

Heart: when even something minor goes wrong, you need to step in to help it or it will basically blow up and die while trying to overcorrect it

Lungs: all **** rolls downhill, and ends up here somehow. Somehow this usually bothers it much less than you'd think.

Reactions: 16 users

Kidneys: vital, but replaceable, and you can get away with only having one. First one to melt down when anything even remotely bad happens

Adrenal gland: gives great gifts, but needs to be supervised because it scares the **** out of you and stresses you out

Gall bladder: works well with a superior, but God help you if you don't give it an outlet to dump frustrations into sometimes

Liver: doesn't delegate well, refuses to train new hires; hogs blood, attention, and bed sheets

Stomach: good at the daily grind, but not so good at knowing when it's working on more than it can handle until it's too late

Uterus/ovaries: hates training new hires, but begrudgingly does it anyway so it can retire someday

Testicles: temp agency aggressively firing workers at job openings until something sticks

Brain: simultaneously responsible for everything and not all that good at being responsible for everything

Heart: when even something minor goes wrong, you need to step in to help it or it will basically blow up and die while trying to overcorrect it

Lungs: all **** rolls downhill, and ends up here somehow. Somehow this usually bothers it much less than you'd think.
I identify strongly with the lungs

Interviewer (equine surgeon): "So how do you think you will handle working with large animals in school, since you have no large animal experience?"
Me: " [...]* And, well, I've always wanted to meet a cow!"

*I don't remember the more serious part of my answer anymore.

I embarrassed myself before the interview even started! Sitting waiting I was testing out my new heels because my grandma asked if I could walk in them (they were a little big on me) and I was like “I’ll be fine!”

Spoiler: I was not fine and tripped walking into the interview room.

I made some joke about being more comfortable in boots that no one laughed at and it all rolled downhill from there.

tag yourself, in this explanation I’m the liver. (Although my description for pancreas is still pretty great) :laugh:

Totally the stomach, which might also be an explanation of how vet school's going....

I’m definitely the stomach. And it perfectly explains how my life has been going recently....

*Sigh*

In one interview, I was asked what I would change about myself if I could (a.k.a. the worst question in the world because you have to come up with something negative about yourself, but stay positive???) to which I had sort of prepared an answer for . . . and that would have been great, but they asked for TWO things. So I get through my first answer and still can't think of a second thing, so I draw a blank and pause for a min and then say the first thing I could think of that wouldn't make them think I would fail vet school: "Uhh . . . I guess I wish I was a little taller?" :smack:

After that, I rambled on trying to think of how that might relate to being a vet and said things like, "I mean, I guess it might make it easier to work on horses." and it all went downhill from there. Lol. The worst part was, the interviewer hardly said anything in response to any of my answers the whole time I was in there, and just sort of stared at me waiting for me to finish, which of course just made me more nervous and ramble-y because I wasn't sure when to stop talking.

The rest of the interview must not have been too bad since I did end up getting in ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spleen for me.

During my OKstate interview, Valentine's Day, they gave us candy and I made the mistake of choosing a butterfinger. One of my interviewers was running late, so I decided to eat it. Crumbs and badness everywhere. I also pounded the table for emphasis that interview. They liked my enthusiasm though, since they let me in. haha

Reactions: 5 users
Today I remembered a bad interview answer I’ve given.

“So Cdo, tell us about a time when you had a conflict with a coworker, and how did you handle it?”

“Um... well... I mean... I’ve never had a conflict with a coworker before? I mean not really? I mean, I know that if I did have a problem I’d sit down with them ASAP and talk with them to figure out what’s wrong and how we can push through it but... yeah... I mean I’m usually a pleasure to work with and I’m enough of a pushover that I don’t fight with anyone... I mean not aggressively fight, sometimes people are passive aggressive and I try to brush it off and think they mean well but umm.. I try not to blame them, cause sometimes I’m passive aggressive too but I try not to be, and I just realized that I’m rambling... sorry...”

Needless to say, I did not get the job. It was my first interview too. :laugh:

Horse's stomach: designed to be it's own worst enemy, needs careful handling to stay happy or will erupt in ulcers. Also tends to be filled with bots, but what the hell, a little parasitism never hurt anybody.

Horse's stomach: designed to be it's own worst enemy, needs careful handling to stay happy or will erupt in ulcers. Also tends to be filled with bots, but what the hell, a little parasitism never hurt anybody.
A very fine line between fine and not fine with the toxic junk you're constantly exposed to. You constantly wonder why you thought it was a good idea to put the line SO CLOSE

Ruminant stomach: you act so differently around different crowds that there is a longstanding belief that there are actually four of you. Nope, just you. Slightly too good at compartmentalizing and at hanging onto things that you probably shouldn't for unreasonable lengths of time, but you're not too worried about because this only causes your heart to be stabbed sometimes (but not always!)

At my Tufts interview they asked what I would do if I didn't get in. I clarified and asked get in here or vet school anywhere? They said both so I told them I had already gotten accepted elsewhere and I would just go there :laugh:. I was so done at that point. I knew the interview was pointless at that moment, I heard them discussing my application before I went in the room and they were not complimentary. For some reason they decided to give me a wait list spot, that was more than what I was expecting for sure!

Reactions: 3 users
At my Tufts interview they asked what I would do if I didn't get in. I clarified and asked get in here or vet school anywhere? They said both so I told them I had already gotten accepted elsewhere and I would just go there :laugh:. I was so done at that point. I knew the interview was pointless at that moment, I heard them discussing my application before I went in the room and they were not complimentary. For some reason they decided to give me a wait list spot, that was more than what I was expecting for sure!
Damn, thats rough! Sorry to hear that :/ I was the last interview date for Tufts and it was the last school I was interviewing for (I know interview date doesn't matter for them in terms of desiring candidates) and also I was the last interview slot for the day at 330pm... by the time it got to the "do you have any questions for us" stage... I point blank stared at the lady interviewer and said, "Actually, yes -- do you think my 2 y/o chocolate lab will be happy at Tufts?" You should have seen the look on her face, but I think she recovered, well, hehehehe!

Penn Interview, (my first ever interview in the beginning of January), I walk into the room, and it's with Dr. Holt and he says, "So, I've been looking forward to getting you in the room", "Oh, really?" (I'm think Oh God, no, this is about to go horrendously terrible, F*** F*** F***). "Yes [clasps hands together with evil smile], you're not the typical vet school candidate, you haven't been riding a pony since you were 6, why are you here?" .....I think I blinked for a few seconds, and managed to give some response... but what I really wanted to say was, "Oh well, excuuuuuuuuse me, let me go get a horse and start riding it around the block every day, shall I?!!" His follow up then was, "I think you should go get a PhD, don't you?" To which I responded with nervous laughter, but what I really wanted to say: "FFS!! I want to be Vet! Not a PhD or MD! Stop skewering me!"

We bonded over having been swimmers, though, and let's be honest, it's probably the only reason I got in :roflcopter:

Hopefully I'm not the only who had during interview, humorously inappropriate answers that I wanted to fire back :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Another one I had.......

I was asked something about a vet's role in homeland security, and for some reason I blanked on what homeland security meant (it's just not a question I expected so I was caught off-guard, and my brain's reaction in these situations is to completely and totally freeze for some stupid reason). So I asked them to clarify, to which they said "we can only read you the question" so I go "Umm....like....the war? Like war...dogs?" and I realize, in that moment, I probably sounded about as intelligent as a Kardashian sister. I hate myself.
Hahahha, love it!

Damn, thats rough! Sorry to hear that :/ I was the last interview date for Tufts and it was the last school I was interviewing for (I know interview date doesn't matter for them in terms of desiring candidates) and also I was the last interview slot for the day at 330pm... by the time it got to the "do you have any questions for us" stage... I point blank stared at the lady interviewer and said, "Actually, yes -- do you think my 2 y/o chocolate lab will be happy at Tufts?" You should have seen the look on her face, but I think she recovered, well, hehehehe!

Penn Interview, (my first ever interview in the beginning of January), I walk into the room, and it's with Dr. Holt and he says, "So, I've been looking forward to getting you in the room", "Oh, really?" (I'm think Oh God, no, this is about to go horrendously terrible, F*** F*** F***). "Yes [clasps hands together with evil smile], you're not the typical vet school candidate, you haven't been riding a pony since you were 6, why are you here?" .....I think I blinked for a few seconds, and managed to give some response... but what I really wanted to say was, "Oh well, excuuuuuuuuse me, let me go get a horse and start riding it around the block every day, shall I?!!" His follow up then was, "I think you should go get a PhD, don't you?" To which I responded with nervous laughter, but what I really wanted to say: "FFS!! I want to be Vet! Not a PhD or MD! Stop skewering me!"

We bonded over having been swimmers, though, and let's be honest, it's probably the only reason I got in :roflcopter:

Hopefully I'm not the only who had during interview, humorously inappropriate answers that I wanted to fire back :laugh:
When I interviewed at UMN one of the interviewers started talking about if I were interested in the PhD dual degree and I may have inappropriately laughed. I recovered, and they accepted me, but my first instinct was hell no. Not knocking it for people who are interested in it, I just knew I wasn't.

When I interviewed at UMN one of the interviewers started talking about if I were interested in the PhD dual degree and I may have inappropriately laughed. I recovered, and they accepted me, but my first instinct was hell no. Not knocking it for people who are interested in it, I just knew I wasn't.

Ditto. He was pushing hard for it. Then he said... I think you would do well at Penn... but I'm afraid you'll get side tracked and end up liking surgery based on your experiences. I was like.... Ok??! I can haz acceptance? Treat please? Low, little tail wags...

My heart would have skipped a beat if he said that to me! (For those that don't know, he's a beautiful man with a lovely Australian accent.) But the "why are you here?" question is exactly what I would expect from him. Expect more questions like that from him when you have him for lecture.

Reactions: 5 users
My heart would have skipped a beat if he said that to me! (For those that don't know, he's a beautiful man with a lovely Australian accent.) But the "why are you here?" question is exactly what I would expect from him. Expect more questions like that from him when you have him for lecture.

I remember you commenting on my post in January :) He is dashingly handsome. I suppose if I rolled that way I'd want to be in a room with him too ;) I asked him to be my mentor, regardless :cool:

Damn, thats rough! Sorry to hear that :/

Oh, don't be sorry! At that point I knew I wouldn't have chosen Tufts, and I went to a much better school ;) @PippyPony (for those of you not in on the joke I'm kidding). I went because it was so close to home and my now ex-hubby wouldn't have had to change jobs. But all in all I'm happy with the result, even if Neuro is kicking my butt while I'm flat out on the ground :).

Oh, don't be sorry! At that point I knew I wouldn't have chosen Tufts, and I went to a much better school ;) @PippyPony (for those of you not in on the joke I'm kidding). I went because it was so close to home and my now ex-hubby wouldn't have had to change jobs. But all in all I'm happy with the result, even if Neuro is kicking my butt while I'm flat out on the ground :).

Kudos for making it work with all the life challenges along the way :)

Psssht you're just jelly per usual ;)

Horse cecum: GO GO GO! TURN! GO! FASTER GO GO GO! TURN! GO! TURN AGAIN! GO GO GO!!! FAAAAAAASSSTTTEEEEEERR!!! TURN! GO!!!! IMPAAAAAAACTION!