Future for dentistry not looking good.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothache

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's research and predictions that dentistry will break apart. The more research that is done the more it seems to be hurting dentistry. Pretty soon dental hygienist will have their own practice, soon after the dental caries vaccine is developed. Physicians will be able to get the vaccine to people and less people will go to the dentist. Dental hygienist will end up making more money than before, since dentist take a huge profit from dental hygienist. So the future of dentistry doesn't look strong and I am not too happy.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, your ignorant comments are getting old and tired. Do us all a favor and keep your silly thoughts to yourself.

hey bro,
stop being ignorant, do some research and then comment. don't read my comments if you think they are old.:sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
- Future of Dentistry in General:
Shift from simple restorative dentistry to more sophisticated cosmetic and esthetic services with an increased attention to sound occlusal principles.
Emphasis on early detection and preventive treatment of mal-occlusions.
Emphasis on early prevention of caries via fluorides and sealants.
Great momentum in Esthetics or Cosmetics ranging from tooth whitening to closing Diastemas to various use of bonding therapy to correct enamel and root defects many of which previously went without treatment.
Also great momentum in the growth of Implants which is offering major improvements in replacing missing teeth.
Great improvement in diagnostic and treatment aids such as digital radiography including computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging, intraoral cameras, apical locator devices, lasers, sophisticated optical instruments from loupes to clinical microscopes.
A vast opportunity awaits for the creation of new clinical support software limited only by the imagination.

???????? copying and pasting, i can see that you are tired.

I just posted what a leading dentist in the field thinks about the future of dentistry. You just typed a bunch of nonsense on what *you* think the future of dentistry holds with no evidence whatsoever from anyone who has actually had experience in the field. I stand by my first statement. You are extremely ignorant.

Originally posted by medius
I just posted what a leading dentist in the field thinks about the future of dentistry. You just typed a bunch of nonsense on what *you* think the future of dentistry holds with no evidence whatsoever from anyone who has actually had experience in the field. I stand by my first statement. You are extremely ignorant.

Medius, dude, don't you watch any television? Damn. It's obvious he was one of the cousins from The Beverly Hillbillies.:rolleyes:

I second medius's arguments. In addition, the OPs post sounded just like gibberish. What makes you say this? That is, where's the evidence.

There is also research and predictions that aliens control the world, much like an ant farm.

Originally posted by Brand
There is also research and predictions that aliens control the world, much like an ant farm.
Check his post history, he's been a low-grade troll for as long as he's been at SDN. I tend to file him next to chronic acne, shingles, and other relatively minor diseases that still manage to annoy the snot out of you. :D

when med students get longer than a two hour lecture about teeth and the dentition, i'll start to worry...

Originally posted by aphistis
Check his post history, he's been a low-grade troll for as long as he's been at SDN. I tend to file him next to chronic acne, shingles, and other relatively minor diseases that still manage to annoy the snot out of you. :D

sorry Billy, unless that was intended towards me :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
then scratch that last statement.

I honestly don't think the majority of hygienists have the brain power or the will power to go out on their own.

I honestly don't think the majority of hygienists have the brain power or the will power to go out on their own.

I think the brain power statement was a little over the top. Despite what the pre-meds believe, people don't choose their professions based soled on their level of intellectual capacity. I don't think it would be difficult at all to find hygienists who are smarter than the docs they work for. Less-educated, and less-experienced concerning dentistry, yes. Dim-witted, no.

But I think you hit it right on the head with will power. Most people want no more than a 9-5 job requiring as little school as possible for the best possible working conditions. For whatever reasons, they have no desire to go out and run their own businesses. I would guess most hygienists fall into this category.

I guess we should all just quit working becuase that is true in every field. Hygeinists will take over the dental field. DA's are taking over the medical field. Nurses will take over the DA's..............I think you get the point

Watch out fellas, here come the hygienists...
I fully intend on having a staff full of ?perky? twenty-something hygienists and only doing cosmetic work on metrosexual males in a large market. My staff's inability to clean teeth will be a minor problem if everything goes well.

Zurich, would you change your avatar dude?

It looks like Michael Jordan gained around 60 lbs

Originally posted by toothache
There's research and predictions that dentistry will break apart. The more research that is done the more it seems to be hurting dentistry.

I'd like to see some solid names to back up your frivilous and ignorant claims. What research? In what journals? Published by whom? Where do the funding monies come from? Peer-reviewed? "Editorial" type research? More than a handful of "articles"?

I haven't seen ANYTHING that hurts the profession.

Originally posted by aphistis

Yeah, but at least he's leaving me alone :D

Originally posted by toothache
There's research and predictions that dentistry will break apart. The more research that is done the more it seems to be hurting dentistry. Pretty soon dental hygienist will have their own practice, soon after the dental caries vaccine is developed. Physicians will be able to get the vaccine to people and less people will go to the dentist. Dental hygienist will end up making more money than before, since dentist take a huge profit from dental hygienist. So the future of dentistry doesn't look strong and I am not too happy.

show me the source of this information, provide documentation of its legibility, and maybe i'll even consider it. until then, thats' YOUR opinion, but not facts.

Originally posted by medius
Zurich, would you change your avatar dude?

It looks like Michael Jordan gained around 60 lbs

:laugh:

soon after the dental caries VACCINE is developed

This may seem like a completely ignorant statement since I have not started dental school yet. But, I recall from undergrad Micro that dental carie development starts with the microorganism Streptococcus mutans--a bacteria [among others I guess--viruses?] :confused: What else causes dental caries? I guess I must wait until class starts to find other causes of dental caries:)

-Thank you

Originally posted by rsweeney
soon after the dental caries VACCINE is developed

This may seem like a completely ignorant statement since I have not started dental school yet. But, I recall from undergrad Micro that dental carie development starts with the microorganism Streptococcus mutans--a bacteria [among others I guess--viruses?] :confused: What else causes dental caries? I guess I must wait until class starts to find other causes of dental caries:)

-Thank you
Caries is a 100% bacterial disease, and the vast majority of that is S. mutans. There are other processes that can degrade the teeth--normal attrition, bruxism, erosion--but we acquire caries through the unchecked acquisition of bacterial dookie. :D

I think the dental caries vaccine thingy refers to injecting something to modify (genetically, I think?) the salivary glands such that they would produce an agent antagonistic to bacterial growth and/or adhesion. Apparently, the bacteria secrete their own adhesion proteins and use them to attach to the surface of the teeth, and I think this is what they were primarily fighting against.

In any case, from what I've read, it's a long way from being implemented in humans. I'll go poke around and see whether I can find that reference for y'all. If anyone's particularly interested in the reference, give me a shout and I'll go actively looking (otherwise I'll probably forget).

*** EDIT: Looks like I actually saved the references in a non-inaccessible directory! I'm sure I read about the actual vaccine online, so I really would have to go digging for that, but these should give you some idea of what they're trying to do.

Glushka, J. et al. "Complete Structure of the Adhesin Receptor Polysaccharide of Streptococcus oralis ATCC 55229 (Streptococcus sanguis HI)" Biochemistry 31: 10741 (1992).

Engels-Deutsch, M. et al. "Insertional Inactivation of pac and rmlB Genes Reduces the Release of Tumor Necrosis Factor Alpha, Interleukin-6, and Interleukin-8 Induced by Streptococcus mutans in Monocytic, Dental Pulp, and Periodontal Ligament Cells." Infection and Immunity 71: 5169 (2003).

HAJISHENGALLIS, G. et al. "Inhibition of Streptococcus mutans Adherence to Saliva-Coated Hydroxyapatite by Human Secretory Immunoglobulin A (S-IgA) Antibodies to Cell Surface Protein Antigen I/II: Reversal by IgAl Protease Cleavage." Infection and Immunity 60: 5057 (1992).

PM me if you'd like me to email one or more of these to you in PDF format.

HTH

Originally posted by trypmo
I think the dental caries vaccine thingy refers to injecting something to modify (genetically, I think?) the salivary glands such that they would produce an agent antagonistic to bacterial growth and/or adhesion. Apparently, the bacteria secrete their own adhesion proteins and use them to attach to the surface of the teeth, and I think this is what they were primarily fighting against.

In any case, from what I've read, it's a long way from being implemented in humans. I'll go poke around and see whether I can find that reference for y'all. If anyone's particularly interested in the reference, give me a shout and I'll go actively looking (otherwise I'll probably forget).

*** EDIT: Looks like I actually saved the references in a non-inaccessible directory! I'm sure I read about the actual vaccine online, so I really would have to go digging for that, but these should give you some idea of what they're trying to do.

Glushka, J. et al. "Complete Structure of the Adhesin Receptor Polysaccharide of Streptococcus oralis ATCC 55229 (Streptococcus sanguis HI)" Biochemistry 31: 10741 (1992).

Engels-Deutsch, M. et al. "Insertional Inactivation of pac and rmlB Genes Reduces the Release of Tumor Necrosis Factor Alpha, Interleukin-6, and Interleukin-8 Induced by Streptococcus mutans in Monocytic, Dental Pulp, and Periodontal Ligament Cells." Infection and Immunity 71: 5169 (2003).

HAJISHENGALLIS, G. et al. "Inhibition of Streptococcus mutans Adherence to Saliva-Coated Hydroxyapatite by Human Secretory Immunoglobulin A (S-IgA) Antibodies to Cell Surface Protein Antigen I/II: Reversal by IgAl Protease Cleavage." Infection and Immunity 60: 5057 (1992).

PM me if you'd like me to email one or more of these to you in PDF format.

HTH
The caries "vaccine" (a notable misnomer) involves genetic engineering, like trypmo said. Since dental decay results from the presence of S. mutans producing acid from sugars, the idea is that you engineer a strain of S. mutans that is can competitively supplant native strains in the mouth, but are genetically incapable of producing these enzymes that are responsible for the cariogenic byproducts, you'll end up with a mouthful of these engineered S. mutans. This accomplishes two goals: first, it directly prevents decay by removing the enzymes needed to produce the acids. Second, by filling up all the available colonization sites with these inert bacteria, you're not leaving any room for colonization by more cariogenic species.

This all comes with a big "but," however: the experiment worked well in mice, but there haven't been *any* human trials yet that I'm aware of.

The "vaccine" that I have heard to be the most promising is not really a vaccine at all. It is where they eliminate the nasty bugs in your mouth and then try to recolonize with "good" bacteria. Neat idea, but even they could get it work, they'd have a tough time sneaking it past the FDA. I mean, regular innoculation with live bacteria, c'mon. :)

Dear Toothache,

My mother has been teaching operative dentistry for over 20 years and she said that even the 70's when she was in dental school they were telling her the same thing. You see, they have been working on a vaccine for over 30 years and have yet to come up with one. From what I understand, it is because there are so many different strains of bacteria that there could be no one vaccine.

Originally posted by Dr.SpongeBobDDS
Neat idea, but even they could get it work, they'd have a tough time sneaking it past the FDA. I mean, regular innoculation with live bacteria, c'mon. :)

Exactly. People are still up in arms over water fluoridation. As if injecting with bacteria wouldn't cause an even bigger uproar.

And who will pay for it? People know what's good for them and they STILL don't do it, so why would this be any different?

caries is more than just s. mutans. It's a composite of several different bacteria that form a community.

Anyways, don't you guys know that bacteria over time become resistant to anti-bacterial agents??

Also toothache, periodontal disease affects everyone, eventually.

I too was worried about this when I first got introduced to dentistry as a career. Having interned at one of the premier dental research institutions working on this vaccine (Forsyth) and realizing that there about ten zillion other things that can go wrong in our mouths that are only accelerated by caries, I am happy to say that I'll still take dentistry. This vaccine requires constant reapplication (I've seen references as short as 3 months) and look at how many people could prevent major dental disease by visiting a dentist regularly in the first place. Unless it's like an MMR shot when you're a kid, I doubt it will severely impact us.

Cheers,
Marshall

Originally posted by cusp of carabelli
when med students get longer than a two hour lecture about teeth and the dentition, i'll start to worry...

Funny you say that. . . I ran into an old grade school friend who is medical school now. We started talking about the stress of professional school and he must have been fresh from his 2 hour lecture, because he was doing her best to sound like he was an expert on dentistry. I think he used the term "malocclusion" like, 3 times per sentance. He seemed to think that was about the extent of what I was learning in dental school.

Not that I'm putting down medical school. It is just such a different scope of subject matter.

One of my doc buddies thought he was a dental expert bec he knew meisal and distal :laugh:

I was looking through my fiances dad's board review book (he's an ER physician" and the dental section is about 20 pages in a book about 600 pages.

It was a really good overview, but after every little thing it said "Refer to dentist"

If you ever get the chance to talk to an ER Doc (I've got 2 as patients), the most common thing they'll ask you isn't what's an abcess?? or how do you extract a tooth?? But its actually "what's your antibiotics and pain medications of choice for toothaches??

My answers are always Penicillin or Erythromycin and Vicodin or Darvocet, and of course refer to a dentist IN THE MORNING!!!!!!!:D

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
Thanks for the link, but that article was written with a direct purpose in mind. Data can be used to further any cause.

So you disagree with the author?

busupshot83, I totally agree with the author. :clap:

Originally posted by busupshot83
So you disagree with the author?

On many points, yes, I completely disagree with him. Like I said, he has a purpose in mind and is writing towards that goal. It isn't like that is a peer-reviewed article, it's more or less an editorial, and one that puts him at an advantage.

Tyson Steele gives that same spill all over the country and charges people to here it. I wouldn't rest all my hopes on his viewpoints.

Some points seemed valid, others were excellent publicity for his business.

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
On many points, yes, I completely disagree with him. Like I said, he has a purpose in mind and is writing towards that goal. It isn't like that is a peer-reviewed article, it's more or less an editorial, and one that puts him at an advantage.

Tyson Steele gives that same spill all over the country and charges people to here it. I wouldn't rest all my hopes on his viewpoints.

Some points seemed valid, others were excellent publicity for his business.

fair enuff.

Hey toothache, if dentistry is not looking bright in the future, then why are the tutions of Dental Schools so damn expensive??? It is a basic fact of supply and demand. If you should know that there is 2 new dentists for every 3 retiring dentists. This means that there will be a shortage of dentists, which means that dentists will be in a great demand. Plus, people are living longer, more dentures or implants (if you want to be trendy).

Per "The future of work." Business Week Magazine 3-22-04:

"You used to be able to get away with being a technical nerd five years ago. Those days are over........You just need to do something that can't be boiled down to a repeatable procedure or that requires a lot of human interaction......As the economy evolves, two kinds of jobs will remain impossible to routineize.......One kind involves complex pattern recognition. Such skills as repairing a complicated machine fall into this category. The other relies on complex communication skills such as those required to manage people....or sell big ticket items".

I would say that the practice of dentistry is a good fit with both categories of jobs that will be impossible to "routineize."

Originally posted by groundhog
Per "The future of work." Business Week Magazine 3-22-04:

"You used to be able to get away with being a technical nerd five years ago. Those days are over........You just need to do something that can't be boiled down to a repeatable procedure or that requires a lot of human interaction......As the economy evolves, two kinds of jobs will remain impossible to routineize.......One kind involves complex pattern recognition. Such skills as repairing a complicated machine fall into this category. The other relies on complex communication skills such as those required to manage people....or sell big ticket items".

I would say that the practice of dentistry is a good fit with both categories of jobs that will be impossible to "routineize."

Exactly; dentistry will never in our lifetimes be done by machines or an assembly line of cheap unskilled labor. Can't be outsourced either. It's certainly not the most lucrative profession out there, but it is one of the most secure.

It's certainly not the most lucrative profession out there
You might double-check your statistics on that; it's pretty darned high on the list. ;) And the security is another huge benefit.

It's certainly not the most lucrative profession out there, but it is one of the most secure.

No, not THE most lucrative, but in general terms it is one of the top ones. That, coupled with the security (which is lacking in many of the other jobs that rank higher in filthy lucre), makes it a hot item.