Ga-PCOM Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hah, nice avatar. goes well with the name. everything always goes to philly.
Thanks for the comment. I'm beginning to realize that EVERYTHING is taken care of in Philly.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know if we send our $2K deposit to Philly or ATL?

I was told that all money goes to the Philadelphia office. That's where I sent my initial $250, and unless otherwise directed, will send the $2000 to the same place.

On another note, I had McWhorter and Penney as my interviewers, and it was a great conversation. I'm looking forward to having them as instructors.

Members don't see this ad :)
McWhorter and Penney would be a hell of a pair to interview with. Both really interesting guys with a lot of good experience. They will be two of our primary teachers next term. I know Penney is really tough, but I am kind of looking forward to him.

What do you first years have planned for your first summer?

Summer? I was actually thinking about killing myself sometime before 9am this friday.

Has anybody heard a date on the spring brunch or received their binder? This thread is dead.

Hey everybody!! My husband got accepted to Ga-PCOM Class of 2013!!! :D

I know that LMU-DCOM has an association (i think its called Student Axillary Association?? ) for the spouses and significant others of the med students to get involved, form a group, do fun stuff together, comiserate together over some beers, whatever! :)

Does anyone know of a similar group for GA-PCOM?? If not, is anyone interested in making one??

I think it would be a great idea! :thumbup:

Wifey: they've got something like that. They announced it in class or sent out e-mails or something, but I didn't really pay attention since I'm not married. But yeah, there will probably be some sort of support group where all of you who live in the real world can get together and bitch about how lame your med student husbands and wives are. And trust me, we're pretty lame.

So do any of you current students know anything about Century Pointe at Suwanee Station? I checked them out recently and they looked pretty nice. Art, somebody in the facebook group mentioned that the brunch is on the 21st of March. Not sure about the binders though.

Does anybody know if Spouses or Parents are invited to the welcome lunch? Did anybody bring guests last year?

yeah, they are welcome to come. I didnt bring my wife last year, but other people did bring their SO's and if I had known she could come, i would have asked her to.

I received an email from Buffie yesterday about the welcome luncheon - now set for Saturday, March 21st at noon. If you didn't get the email, you should be getting a letter in the mail in the next few days. If not, contact Buffie at the GA campus.

Has anyone received the binder yet???

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the same email, but still no binder. Does anybody know for sure that they will be attending the luncheon?

i was working in the office today on the formal invites to yall's luncheon so those things should get sent out real soon...and if the address sticker on the envelope is crooked, thats my fault. the binders have apparently been sent out, so keep an eye out.

nice! thanks Jwalker.

Good to know that there is someone on the inside letting us know whats going on. I'll look forward to getting a crooked label....

Does anybody know if we can pay the $2K deposit with a credit card?

I am pretty sure that you can call in with the credit card number. Go to the website and call the bursar's office to find out for sure. It will probably be done through Philly. I think they do a lot of the financial stuff.

If anybody is going to be in town the night before the luncheon (20th), a group of my friends (non-pcomers) are headed out to Midtown (ATL). I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

PM me if you want details...

for any of the current students that have info I was wondering if you could enlighten us new students about the quality of rotation sites for the M3/M4 clinical years. Do they provide a competitive edge looking towards residency down the road? Is it hard to get placed at larger sights in Atlanta? Is there somewhere that I may be able to see a schedule of the clinical rotations that students take part in in each year? I know it is early to be wondering about all this but I jsut wanted to know about these things from the students that have the inside info. Are there any pros and cons that current students have faced thus far attending a relatively new school in the Atlanta area?

An actual list of the clinical sites is hard to come by, but there are a ton of them. I do think they were handing them out at interviews, though. But don't quote me on that. I haven't heard many complaints from the 3rd and 4th year students about the sites, however. I am under the impression that they are all pretty solid.

Great. I am glad to hear that the sites have been solid thus far. I look forward to hearing where people match in some of the allopathic residencies this coming week. If you happen to arrive at any info about that maybe you could post it when you have some time. I had one other question...on pcom's website it has the different clinical rotation schedule (ie familly med,ob/gyn,psych, gen surgery, etc and when you do them) for philly.. I was wondering if these rotations and this general schedule was the same for Ga-PCOM?

A guy who I don't know personally, but is my facebook friend, put on his status that he matched radiology today. Another guy got PM&R. That's all I've seen so far.

I think the order of your rotations depends on what group you're in. But it is the same general idea as what they do at Philly. But don't worry about that now.

for any of the current students that have info I was wondering if you could enlighten us new students about the quality of rotation sites for the M3/M4 clinical years. Do they provide a competitive edge looking towards residency down the road? Is it hard to get placed at larger sights in Atlanta? Is there somewhere that I may be able to see a schedule of the clinical rotations that students take part in in each year? I know it is early to be wondering about all this but I jsut wanted to know about these things from the students that have the inside info. Are there any pros and cons that current students have faced thus far attending a relatively new school in the Atlanta area?

So far so good. Keep in mind that like all schools we have mostly required rotations 3rd year, and from what I've heard they have been great. you get 1 elective and 2 selectives 3rd year where you can go wherever you want, which is awesome. Then 4th year, you get (I believe) 5 electives and 2 selectives, and then like 3-4 more required cores. You want to make sure at any school that you have plenty of electives to audition residencies wherever you hope to end up, and I'm pretty excited that we get so many. It's not like that at all other schools, yet extremely important for landing top residency spots.

good luck

I am really looking forward to the ACS rotation, which includes a week of small-group work with Katz. I think a week of STAN with Wanamaker too.

Thanks for all the great info guys. Another quick question about the curriculum for the M1 and M2 academic years. I know that SPOM and CMBM cover the first two semesters of the M1 year but what is the big course for the third part of the M1 year (is it neuro,physio,??)? Secondly, what is the schedule like for the M2 year? Is this when you hit immunology and pharmacology or when do these courses come into play? Just did not get that much info about the curriculum during my interview day and was kind of hoping to get an idea from some of the current students. thanks

Third term is Neuro. Anatomy, some phys, some psych, some path. Pretty much a comprehensive neuro course.

M2 is mostly systems. Also surgery, emergency medicine, etc. I really don't have a great grasp of what it entails, exactly.

We hit immuno hard on CMBM. Pharm is in CMBM, and a lot of 2nd-year.

The curriculum is integrated, so we get all this stuff throughout the first two years, as it becomes relevant. Most medical schools are going to the integrated curriculum these days. I know Emory just switched to it this year, and I know most of the schools in TX have been doing it for years.

i wish i were cool enough to come from texas...where the beer flows like wine, the football teams are awesome, and the medical schools adopt effective learning strategies early. sigh

I think case western was the first to go integrated. Most of the big names followed. When I was training to teach princeton review mcat, this guy I was in there with explained it to me. He was a disgruntled first-year at Texas Tech, who still used the traditional curriculum, and he insisted that was why his med school sucks, and will always be the redheaded stepchild of Texas med schools.

Okay guys I got myself a little confused today reading some things online and I am hoping some current students will be able to clear things up. So as of now (and I know it is insanely early to be thinking about) I want at least to have the option of doing an AGME residency in SC or GA. I also would like to have a medical license that is open to practice in all states. If I attend a ACGME accredited residency I would then be board certified by ACGME. Would I then not be certified by the AOA or would I be certified by both? This whole intern year thing is really throwing me off and I was hoping to get it cleared up. Say I match into gen surgery at an allopathic program how do I become AOA certified as well. If I am not in one of the 5 states that requires the rotating internship automatically to be AOA board eligible, does the completion of an allopathic residency automatically make me AOA board eligible?

That should be the least of your concerns. I don't know exactly how you go about it, but I do know that it is pretty much a non-issue. There aren't a bunch of unemployed DO's running around because its too hard to get licensed.

Resolution 42. Just have to petition AOA, majority of people who applied were approved/accepted to practice in the "five States."

If you do attend an ACGME residency and do not petition for resolution 42 (or do not get granted res 42) what are the consequences? Are you at this point solely board eligible for ACGME boards? Is the major consequence that you will no longer be able to practice in those 5 states?

OK so we talked about this very thing during deans hour today. Dr. Evans addressed it, and it seems to be a non-issue.

The reason is that the PGY-1 year of pretty much every program will meet the requirements of the AOA internship. You have to fill out a bunch of forms and ****, but it will not ultimately be a barrier to receiving your license.

Dr. Evans also said that he had never heard of anyone who was denied because of this.

Third term is Neuro. Anatomy, some phys, some psych, some path. Pretty much a comprehensive neuro course.

M2 is mostly systems. Also surgery, emergency medicine, etc. I really don't have a great grasp of what it entails, exactly.

We hit immuno hard on CMBM. Pharm is in CMBM, and a lot of 2nd-year.

The curriculum is integrated, so we get all this stuff throughout the first two years, as it becomes relevant. Most medical schools are going to the integrated curriculum these days. I know Emory just switched to it this year, and I know most of the schools in TX have been doing it for years.

Just wanted to say thanks for asking these questions. I've been trying to figure this same thing out. Also, thanks for answering them.

Will all PCOM students including the incoming 2013 class receive an email with the match lists for both PCOM-Pa and PCOM-Ga? Or will they be posted somewhere for everyone to look at? Either one would be great, I'm just excited to see where everyone matched into. I'm sure both lists are phenomenal! =)

When they get everything compiled, they're going to have something for us. Not sure exactly how the list will be made available to us, but it will be made available.

One stat I did hear is that of the four spots for radiology at MCG, two of them went to members of our initial graduating class. That's not an easy gig to get. Hopefully we'll here some more good news soon.

I also heard 8 into EM. Not sure where.

Thanks TT. I PMed sketches and he was able to fill me on some of the matches. As TT said, two of the four MCG radiology spots were taken by Ga-PCOM students and another matched into a radiology program in Delaware. He said there were lots of Emergency Med, IM, and Anesthesia matches. Some Urology, Psych, PM&R, and Med-Peds in there too. This is so great!!

From what I have gathered its been a pretty solid match thus far. I cannot wait to get the full list when it is available. On another note...a question I thought about recently and have not thought to ask all along...during our first and second years do we have any opportunities in the clinical setting? I know a few schools have kinda like shadowing opportunities or opportunities in an affiliated clinic and I was wondering if PCOM had clinical education outside the classroom the first couple of years.

Yeah tj, we do have an affiliated clinic in lawrenceville that our dean, dr Evans helps to run. Tuesdays and Thursdays 3 students get to sign up and go volunteer and apply some things we've learned. I've done it once but have 2 more dates scheduled for April. It's pretty fun and helps you to see the light at the end if the tunnel. Did you guys have a good accepted students luncheon?

I try to go to the clinic at least once a month, and I volunteer at the Grady ED once a week too.

I try to go to the clinic at least once a month, and I volunteer at the Grady ED once a week too.

TT, how many hours/week do you end up volunteering at Grady? And how tough is it to do that every week with having to study for med school and all?

I'm looking for a single bedroom apartment to lease preferably within 5-10 miles from PCOM. I was wondering if anyone can suggest some apartment complexes. And if there are apartment complexes to avoid, please let me know. For example, I've heard some bad things about madison at river sound. I actually visited there this past saturday and their prices are great and the complex seemed nice but I've heard so many negative things about it that I'm probably not going to rent there. Thanks!

No it is easy to make time. I've just learned to be efficient. I do about 3-4 hours/week at Grady.

Starting last term, I've been doing a whole lot more "extra" stuff, and my performance has actually improved significantly. I've got a system for studying that works well for me, and if I stick to that, I've got time for everything I want to do, within reason.

Thanks TT. I PMed sketches and he was able to fill me on some of the matches. As TT said, two of the four MCG radiology spots were taken by Ga-PCOM students and another matched into a radiology program in Delaware. He said there were lots of Emergency Med, IM, and Anesthesia matches. Some Urology, Psych, PM&R, and Med-Peds in there too. This is so great!!

PM = Private Message ;)

haha, oops, sorry sketches. ill becareful next time.

haha, oops, sorry sketches. ill becareful next time.

I'm just messing with ya :) I am glad you all are interested in how our class is doing. GA-PCOM has a lot to be proud of! Official match list will be out soon :thumbup:

Thanks again to TT, Jwalker and Sketches for always keeping us informed about whats going on and for answering all of our questions. You guys are really great.