Ga-PCOM Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was told they finalized it today, so it is only a matter of time before it gets out.

Members don't see this ad.

Here it is. I organized it better and cut out everyone's name.This is the unfinished/uncorrected list. I already know of a few mistakes and I know of a few of the transitional/traditional year spots that have a residency spot that isnt included here. I will give a better updated list if they ever send it to us.

Attachments

• GAPCOM 2009 unfinished list.xlsx
    16.3 KB · Views: 293
Sorry, I messed up the first list. This one is more complete.

Attachments

• GAPCOM 2009 unfinished list.xlsx
    16.4 KB · Views: 292
Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• Copy of GAPCOM 2009 unfinished list.xlsx-1.xls
    37.5 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Thanks so much predodoc and lemonslices!
I think its a pretty good list for an inaugural class, right?
Congrats to all those who matched!

Well it depends on what the people matching wanted, but there are definitely some gems on there.

3 rads. 4 anesthesia. 9 EM. One guy who looks like he's headed to ophtho.

Programs like Emory, Georgetown, Temple, MCG, UIC, and Scott & White are fairly big names, and some of the not-so-big names are also pretty well-regarded for some things, like NY Beth-Isreal (Albert Einstein COM), UT-Memphis, U-Kentucky, and Christiana are also going to be pretty good. I don't know much about most of these specific programs, but they should be solid.

Also I'd be curious to see where some of the transitional folks are headed next.

Well it depends on what the people matching wanted, but there are definitely some gems on there.

3 rads. 4 anesthesia. 9 EM. One guy who looks like he's headed to ophtho.

Programs like Emory, Georgetown, Temple, MCG, UIC, and Scott & White are fairly big names, and some of the not-so-big names are also pretty well-regarded for some things, like NY Beth-Isreal (Albert Einstein COM), UT-Memphis, U-Kentucky, and Christiana are also going to be pretty good. I don't know much about most of these specific programs, but they should be solid.

Also I'd be curious to see where some of the transitional folks are headed next.

There will be a few more good ones from the people with the trans years. For some reason not everyones match was recorded on the list and I believe there are a few more for rads/ anes/ ect. Ill repost when I get all the details.

In my experience, working at the hospital where I used to work, which had a transitional year (one of the more competitive transitional programs in the country, so this may not be representative of transitional programs in general, at all), and the people that would spend a year with us in that program were always headed off to insanely competitive programs, like anesthesiology at brigham & women's, or some ophtho program somewhere. Like every single one of them was going to some **** like that, so like I said, that might not be a good sampling.

But anyway, if you look into some residency programs, you'll see it listed as like "PGY 2-4", or something. I assume the PGY-1 year is meant to be done as a transitional year, or the equivalent, somewhere. But as far as I can tell, it is often more competitive programs that are structured like this. But probably not always. Like I said, my experience is limited. And to answer your question, people with a transitional year typically have something else lined up in advance. At least from what I've seen. As for these people, I have no idea, but I'm guessing at least some of them do.

Last edited:
Transitonal years- 1 year spots through the allopathic match which can be used for:
1) People who dont know what they want to do and need to buy some time(less often used for this)
2) An internship requirement for residency programs that dont start until your second year of residency. Specialties that dont start until 2nd year are: Anes, Radiology, PM&R, Optho, dermatology, and maybe one Im missing.

*the internship reqirment fot these specialties usually can be filled by either a transitional yr or a 1 year spot in surgery or Medicine (called preliminary spots)
* the transitional yr spots are usually pretty competitive because...well just look at the specialties trying to get them. And also, trans years are known for usually being more relaxing than a medicine or surgery preliminary year.

Traditional rotating internships "traditional yrs"- 1 year spots are through the DO match only, so only DO's can get them. They can be used for:

1) the exact same 2 reasons as a transitonal year that I listed above.
2) To satisfy the DO requirment to work in the "special 5 states"......actually there are ways of getting around having to do one but thats out of the scope of what Im talking about.

*The biggest advantage of these is that there are lots of them and are usually not super competitive. This is probably one of the only 2 advantages of being a DO going through the match.

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew a lot of it from working at the hospital before I started school. Some of my friends back home are ER docs and residents. But I've picked up a few things along the way here too.

Just to keep the info flowing, I wanted to tell you guys that I received a letter from Philly confirming my $2K deposit, instructions for the online background check, and a reminder to send official transcripts.

Okay I went through and linked all the programs. That should be helpful.

Attachments

• Copy of GAPCOM 2009 unfinished list7.xlsx
    19 KB · Views: 249
T.T. the file you attached is "not in a recognizable format" (?)
Do you think you can convert it to an older version of excel and repost? I'm not sure if that'll do anything but I think that is what someone did with the original match list and it worked. Thanks.

Also, I think this may be the case for the excel file you attached in the osteopathic forum. That may be why people are not commenting because they probably can't open it. Or... it could just be my crappy computer thats not allowing me to open it. Just a thought.

it worked! thanks for doing that.

I completed my physical and medical history questionnaire yesterday. If you haven't done this already, please know that many insurances don't cover vaccines or titer lab tests for adults (I had to get a Tdap). My doc was really helpful with the form, and he had lots of great praise for PCOM!

How much do the titers and immunizations cost?

I haven't received my bill from insurance yet, but I heard that you can get a Tdap from the health dept for about $10. I'll let you know when I get my bill how much everything cost.

Did you guys already find a lender? If so, who did you choose and why? I have an account with Wachovia and I would like to just stick with one bank. But if there are better ones out there, I would like to take a look.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
Did you guys already find a lender? If so, who did you choose and why? I have an account with Wachovia and I would like to just stick with one bank. But if there are better ones out there, I would like to take a look.

Check out Discover. They offer Stafford loans with 0 fees: https://www.discoverstudentloans.com/student/stafford.aspx.

Also, contact Laurel Starling, Financial Aid Coordinator at GA-PCOM (678.225.7533). She has been very helpful so far. I spoke with her yesterday, and she said our award information will appear in nucleus in May or early June.

hey everyone, I'm coming to ga-pcom in the fall and have not recieved much info from them. I was just wondering if someone could tell me all the stuff we needed to get done at the doc, i.e. physical, shot update, drug test, anything like that, and if there was a deadline to turn all that stuff in by. I didn't know if this info is in the binder or anything and I might be out of town over the summer so I wanted find out to see if i needed to get this done now or if I can do it when I get back. Thanks for any help! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Matt

Hi everyone I just wanted to post that I received an acceptance letter in the mail from GA-PCOM today. It was postmarked 5/1 so hopefully we hear good news from other people soon. I interviewed way back in January (27th) and knew that I was fairly high on the waitlist. Anyways, I just wanted to post my excitement and tell everyone that the letters for waitlist movement have apparently gone out. Now to fill out the forms and pay that deposit! :D

Marc

Hi everyone I just wanted to post that I received an acceptance letter in the mail from GA-PCOM today. It was postmarked 5/1 so hopefully we hear good news from other people soon. I interviewed way back in January (27th) and knew that I was fairly high on the waitlist. Anyways, I just wanted to post my excitement and tell everyone that the letters for waitlist movement have apparently gone out. Now to fill out the forms and pay that deposit! :D

Marc

congrats Marc! :thumbup:

First of all, congrats to mlm05k and cramnoly!

Secondly, I have FINALLY decided to purchase an aluminum macbook. I know that there are many macbook users at GA-PCOM so my question is... do I NEED to have windows on my mac for school (whether its using boot camp or parallel to run it)? Did you guys ever have any compatibility issues without having windows running on your mac? Is having Office for mac enough?

I chose to buy a macbook because its a very reliable and stable laptop and I know it'll last me throughout medical school. Anything else I need to know about macs before purchasing it?

Thanks!

msw...very wise decision. I'm a long time mac user currently using a white macbook for my school computer. i'd say that 1/3 of my class has macbooks, so you will not be the only one when you get here. to answer your question, no, you do not need windows for anything at ga-pcom. the only reason i can think of that you may eventually want windows is in 2 years when you are prepping for boards...there is a really good board prep program called boards bootcamp that a lot of our second-years are using. unfortunately, it is not currently compatible with mac osx. maybe that will change in 2 years, but all the second-years using boards bootcamp have to dual boot into windows or just use the school computers. other than that, you should have no issues. a lot of people run office for mac, and others just bought iwork because you can open, edit, and save .doc and .xls files, and it looks cooler. either one will do, although iwork is a good bit cheaper. have fun with the new macbook, and if you can wait a little longer, a refresh is expected in early june with the yearly back to school promotion (you get a free ipod touch and the discounted education price).

msw...very wise decision. I'm a long time mac user currently using a white macbook for my school computer. i'd say that 1/3 of my class has macbooks, so you will not be the only one when you get here. to answer your question, no, you do not need windows for anything at ga-pcom. the only reason i can think of that you may eventually want windows is in 2 years when you are prepping for boards...there is a really good board prep program called boards bootcamp that a lot of our second-years are using. unfortunately, it is not currently compatible with mac osx. maybe that will change in 2 years, but all the second-years using boards bootcamp have to dual boot into windows or just use the school computers. other than that, you should have no issues. a lot of people run office for mac, and others just bought iwork because you can open, edit, and save .doc and .xls files, and it looks cooler. either one will do, although iwork is a good bit cheaper. have fun with the new macbook, and if you can wait a little longer, a refresh is expected in early june with the yearly back to school promotion (you get a free ipod touch and the discounted education price).

REALLY?!?! My girlfriend told me about a sale during the summer but I wasn't sure if it was gonna happen this year. So, is this sale really going to happen? I would love a free itouch!

And thanks for the info jwalker, really appreciate it.

yep, for serious. they do it every year as an incentive to get college kids geared up for back to school while at the same time getting rid of inventory to make room for new products. last year it started the first week of june, so I would expect it to start up around the same time this year. They do it via mail-in rebate, but you can fill it all out online and get it back in about 3 weeks. You can also get a $100 printer for free too with the mail-in rebate. make sure when you go to the apple site, you click the link to the education store and select pcom in philly. prices drop a set percentage and thats how you get approved for the back to school promo when it opens. let me know if you have any more questions about macs.

yep, for serious. they do it every year as an incentive to get college kids geared up for back to school while at the same time getting rid of inventory to make room for new products. last year it started the first week of june, so I would expect it to start up around the same time this year. They do it via mail-in rebate, but you can fill it all out online and get it back in about 3 weeks. You can also get a $100 printer for free too with the mail-in rebate. make sure when you go to the apple site, you click the link to the education store and select pcom in philly. prices drop a set percentage and thats how you get approved for the back to school promo when it opens. let me know if you have any more questions about macs.

awesome! im definitely going to wait until then. thanks again!

is there free printing at the school?

Thanks for the congrats and all,

About laptops, I went to an undergrad where Mac was big (Reed where Steve Jobs went before he dropped out) and i now feel that whatever system the school is set up in, PC or Mac, is the best way to go. It sounds though that GA-PCOM might be a toss up between the operating system with 1/3 Mac and the rest PC. I remember when I interviewed that GA-PCOM was really just technologically integrated and whatever OS I chose, it would all work out. It might just come down to choosing whatever OS a user is more comfortable with. I would love to find out if I am wrong about my OS assumptions though. Either way, I am in the market for a new laptop and figure that whatever fits bet with the current structure would work best for me. That is my personal opinion.:oops:

Cram

I was starting to think about getting myself into a routine mentally and started to wonder what a typical week would be like. Does anyone know what our days/ weeks will look like? Thanks for any help.

is there free printing at school?

msw,
yep, there is free printing at school but it is black and white. You get all lecture hand outs printed before class and have some high number of prints available in the library per year. Still, wouldnt hurt to get a free color printer when you get that new macbook.

reirei,
here is our schedule from first term.

Attachments

• Schedule M1T1 2008-2009.pdf
    54.2 KB · Views: 270
Hey guys...does anybody have access to the M1T3 schedule of classes? Also, does anyone have a copy of the schedule for second year classes or any info they can pass along about the way that year pans out academically?

Also...on another note has anyone heard back from financial aid about awards status and loan status info or have any idea when they should be coming about?

Also...on another note has anyone heard back from financial aid about awards status and loan status info or have any idea when they should be coming about?

I haven't heard back but I applied for loans last week so I don't expect to hear back for a while. When did you apply for your loans (which ones did you apply for? Stafford and grad plus?)?

Laurel said award info should show up on banner sometime in May/Early June.

I applied m february or march I believe...pretty much as soon as I got my tax stuff in order and fafsa filled out. I applied for both Stafford and Grad PLUS. I am not really concerned about Stafford I just want to see how the Grad PLUS loan pans out as far as the money goes and as far as the billing break down for the trimesters goes. The credit and stuff has already been okayed but just not sure about the amount.

msw,
yep, there is free printing at school but it is black and white. You get all lecture hand outs printed before class and have some high number of prints available in the library per year. Still, wouldnt hurt to get a free color printer when you get that new macbook.

reirei,
here is our schedule from first term.

Thank you jwalker. I've been looking for something like that forever. Looks fun.....

From the Nucleus home page... "We are happy to announce that all student email accounts will be hosted by Google by September 2009. Periodic updates will be forthcoming."

Great news! Groupwise sucks!

no prob. actually, term 1 is very fun if you enjoy anatomy. i think 90% of my class would agree that term 1 was the most fun and enjoyable term thus far. term 2 is the complete opposite, just so you are warned. term 3 is somewhere in between. only 4.5 more weeks left! i had heard our email was being switched to something better...this should be a major upgrade and popping email into your mail/outlook account will actually be possible! looking forward to it.

What are the classes that you take third trimester? Also, any info on second year and the classes that are taken then? I know it is systems based primarily with a some classes like psych, emergency med, etc. but not much more than that.