Ga-PCOM Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm looking for a single bedroom apartment to lease preferably within 5-10 miles from PCOM. I was wondering if anyone can suggest some apartment complexes. And if there are apartment complexes to avoid, please let me know. For example, I've heard some bad things about madison at river sound. I actually visited there this past saturday and their prices are great and the complex seemed nice but I've heard so many negative things about it that I'm probably not going to rent there. Thanks!

Hey! I am a 4th year and live at 5375 Sugarloaf Apts, which are about 6mins from the school. I have been living here for almost four years, and I love it! This apt complex has free continental breakfast every morning, a free wash-fold service, and other great amenities! If you decide you want to live here mention my name(Tiffany Sanders), and we can split the referral fee of 500 dollars. http://www.5375sugarloaf.com/

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I am a 4th year and live at 5375 Sugarloaf Apts, which are about 6mins from the school. I have been living here for almost four years, and I love it! This apt complex has free continental breakfast every morning, a free wash-fold service, and other great amenities! If you decide you want to live here mention my name(Tiffany Sanders), and we can split the referral fee of 500 dollars. http://www.5375sugarloaf.com/

Thanks!

Will do! Sugarloaf is a bit expensive though but if I decide to live there, I'll definitely mention your name.

Will do! Sugarloaf is a bit expensive though but if I decide to live there, I'll definitely mention your name.

I stayed at The Reserve @ Sugarloaf during my first year. It's probably the most expensive place, but also one of the nicest and closest. Wherever you end up, ask about specials... I got a 2 bedroom listed at 1100 for 850 that way (still overpriced!). Plenty of 4th year students are renting out their homes as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey I thought that too until we set down and crunched some numbers. I still pay WELL below market value for my 1 bedroom apt. Good Luck!

I've read some old posts from the GA-PCOM class of 2010 and 2011 forums and it seems like Sugarloaf Apt is the most reliable. If you don't mind me asking... how much do you pay for your 1 bedroom and how much does your electricity and internet come out to usually? What other apartment complexes are current PCOM students staying at? I am definitely going to look into sugarloaf but I would like to check out some other places. Again, if there are apartment complexes that I should avoid, please let me know. I've heard bad things about madison at soundriver and sterling riverside. Thanks a lot!

No it is easy to make time. I've just learned to be efficient. I do about 3-4 hours/week at Grady.

Starting last term, I've been doing a whole lot more "extra" stuff, and my performance has actually improved significantly. I've got a system for studying that works well for me, and if I stick to that, I've got time for everything I want to do, within reason.

I'm sure many of us would love to know more about the study system you use, especially if you are improving your performance. Any trick to help get us newbies through MS1 would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Did they mention when binders would be received at the luncheon? I'm really hoping we get them before the deposit deadline!

Did they mention when binders would be received at the luncheon? I'm really hoping we get them before the deposit deadline!

They just told us that it was going to be sent out very very soon. I'm sure we'll receive it before the deposit deadline.

My study system is my own. It may not work or be appealing to other people, but here is what I do:

1. Try to go to class. Even if I don't pick up on everything, or much at all, I feel like it helps. If I don't go to class, I make it a point to watch the lecture later.

2.Outline the notes. Cut out stuff they said wouldn't be on the exam, or stuff that I'm sure I know. Shorten it up, etc.

3. Re-watch any lectures I think might be giving me problems. On double-speed. Following along on my laptop with the power points.

4. Type my outlines. Further condensing if I can.

5. Review what I typed.

If I can get through that with every lecture, I typically can do very well.

It is a pretty active approach to studying. Maybe not fast, but it is thorough, and it keeps me from spacing out too much when I study.

My study system is my own. It may not work or be appealing to other people, but here is what I do:

1. Try to go to class. Even if I don't pick up on everything, or much at all, I feel like it helps. If I don't go to class, I make it a point to watch the lecture later.

2.Outline the notes. Cut out stuff they said wouldn't be on the exam, or stuff that I'm sure I know. Shorten it up, etc.

3. Re-watch any lectures I think might be giving me problems. On double-speed. Following along on my laptop with the power points.

4. Type my outlines. Further condensing if I can.

5. Review what I typed.

If I can get through that with every lecture, I typically can do very well.

It is a pretty active approach to studying. Maybe not fast, but it is thorough, and it keeps me from spacing out too much when I study.

Good advice! I never retyped notes, but that's just my style... black pen and highlighter were enough for me. I liked to use a different color highlighter in class than I used at home to remember what the instructor said was important. I reviewed powerpoint packets 3-4 times total before exams and checked off the slides that I felt comfortable with as I went along. That way each time through the packets would be faster and easier.

Also I'd like to save Samdwi the trouble of saying "DO NOT stay at Sterling Riverside apartments!". He stayed there and had a bad experience :laugh:

I personally can't just read over stuff, and I find that re-typing helps me learn it better. If I'm just reading it, I'll space out and miss important info. I have to be doing something else when I'm reading: highlighting, copying, outlining, typing, watching the lecture, etc.

But that's just me. Everyone will need to figure out what works for them.

when can we set up our email accounts? can we do it before we get the binder? if so, how?

I think that comes with the binder. If I remember correctly, your accounts are already set up. The binder tells you how to access it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, cool. That's what I figured. Thanks.

I think that comes with the binder. If I remember correctly, your accounts are already set up. The binder tells you how to access it.

I called Philly to check on my financial aid. They told me to log into nucleus and follow my status online. Oh yeah, they said access to nucleus is provided with the binder. :bang:

When you say you watch lectures on double speed, are these DVD's in the library or downloadable mp3? If they are mp3's, can they be accessed off campus, or do you have to be at school? Thanks!

They are DVDs in the library, and you can check them out, or download them if you have a portable hard drive.

I am looking for a way to transfer the audio to an mp3/audio format right now. I'll let everyone know if I figure out an easy way to do this. I have a buddy who is a musician, and another buddy who is an engineer at a radio station, who are going to give me some ideas.

My girlfriend is almost finished with nursing school and she wants to find a job in the Atl area and I was just wondering if anyone knew of any hospitals that are hiring for nurses.

TT, Do you know if Grady is hiring for new graduate RNs? She would like to go to a VA hospital but it doesn't really matter too much.

I'm trying all I can to help her because I obviously want her to come to Atl since I'll be there starting August.

Thanks a lot.

I thought I heard that Grady wasn't hiring nurses, but don't quote me.

When they get everything compiled, they're going to have something for us. Not sure exactly how the list will be made available to us, but it will be made available.

One stat I did hear is that of the four spots for radiology at MCG, two of them went to members of our initial graduating class. That's not an easy gig to get. Hopefully we'll here some more good news soon.

I also heard 8 into EM. Not sure where.

For EM the few in my class Ive heard about are Emory, MCG and LSU. But I still think the most impressive is all the people matching radiology.

Ive heard they will have a match list compiled by graduation day which is May 17. But I honestly dont know why they dont release it now, they have everyones match results already.

Last edited:
For EM the few in my class Ive heard about are Emory, MCG and LSU. But I still think the most impressive is all the people matching radiology.

Ive heard they will have a match list compiled by graduation day which is May 17. But I honestly dont know why they dont release it now, they have everyones match results already.

Wow, that's awesome that someone got into Emory! I thought Emory was very very DO unfriendly.

I hope they release the list before May 17th. That would be torture. :(

Thanks TT. I've heard that there was a hiring freeze at Grady for RNs so I guess that's out of the picture. I'll ask her to call them anyways to make sure.

Emory emergency medicine is not DO-unfriendly. They have DO attendings, and several DO residents. You don't see muxh "DO-unfriendly" in emergency medicine, regardless of the program.

Wow, that's awesome that someone got into Emory! I thought Emory was very very DO unfriendly.

I hope they release the list before May 17th. That would be torture. :(

Thanks TT. I've heard that there was a hiring freeze at Grady for RNs so I guess that's out of the picture. I'll ask her to call them anyways to make sure.

For Emory, and for every place to an extent, how DO friendly it is depends alot on the specialty and how open minded people are in that program. I know this year we have 1 EM and 1 PM&R at Emory and maybe more in other specialties but I would be shocked to hear someone got IM. Even though they take 50+ residents/year, I think they took their first DO in at least 4 years last year. On the other hand, about 1/4 of the residents in Emory's PM&R are DO's.

Congratulations Class of 2013,

I know everyone is begining to look for places to live next year, and I just wanted to let you know that I have a condo with three rooms for rent less than half a mile from school. Its a nice place (built in 2002) with a large living/dining room, kitchen (w/ dishwasher, microwave, and fridge), washer and dryer, and 2.5 baths. There is plenty storage space with 2 large downstairs closets, and exterior storage area. The master bedroom with a private bathroom and walk in closet is $525/month, and the two other bedrooms are $440/month. This does not include utilities. Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to see some pictures. Thanks and Good Luck next year.

Adam Chornoby (2nd year)
[email protected]

Through one of our 3rd-year students, who worked at Grady for a while, we do have a pretty good relationship with Emory emergency medicine. A few of the second-years have managed to maintain that, and I am going to work my ass off with the EM club to make sure students who are interested in EM have their hands into as much as possible. There is some great training here in the area, and it is nice to be involved with some of these folks. They are all pretty nice.

Hey y'all! I just got accepted to GA-PCOM last week which was incredibly exciting! I'm new to the site and just thought I would say hello.

I'm a little anxious about getting all of the paperwork squared-away since it's so late, but I'm sure it will all work out.

I'm looking forward to communicating with all of you and going to Georgia in the fall! I'm from Wilmington, NC by the way.

If you're superstitious, mentioning the name Tiffany Sanders at the 5735 sugarloaf apartments could bring you some good luck a few years down the road.

Based on a rumor I heard through the grapevine about her match, you could do a lot worse than following in her footsteps.

HI yall! I'm Andrea a 1st year student, I wrote a lot on our forum but havn't been on SDN for awhile. If you have any questions about housing I live in a great apartment at Madison right now, it's 3 bedrooms at $940, I also have friends at the same complex that pay $600ish for a 1 bedroom, the complex has 2 pools and a workout, and is gated. A lot of people from our class also live in the townhouses right next to school of off old peach tree (it's like 0.4 miles from school) and they all love it there.

I looked at some of your questions, and for anatomy lab I have designated shoes and obviously scrubs and will be throwing it all out when our last neuro lab is over :)

As for OMM lab, t-shirts and shorts (with sports bras for girls) is required, the first day was uncomfortable for me atleast taking my shirt off in front of 45 people I didn't really know, that discomfort lasted like one lab period. you make friends fast, and you have a lot of new information to take in so you won't focus on it.

If any of you have questions I am more than happy to answer them, PM me, or message me on facebook, and congrats again!! can't wait to meet all of you!:):)

-Andrea Melonakos OMSI

I'm not throwing my scrubs out after neuro. If they can handle working in the ER, where they got real actual gross goo on them, they can handle a little cadaver goo.

I just received a letter from the Philly office reminding me of the $2K deposit deadline and official transcripts. Still no binder though...

Several of us at the new student luncheon were joking that the binder would not be sent out until you send in the $2000 deposit. Maybe it's not such as joke. I submitted my $2K yesterday via CC to the bursar's office in Philly. If I get the binder now, I'll have to wonder if our humor held some measure of truth.

I'll probably regret this when August arrives, but right now I am SO anxious for the summer to pass so we can get started. As the song says, "I've been waiting for this moment for all of my life..."

BTW - What's the deal with the "doctor bag" that was mentioned at the luncheon. I know it includes otoscope/opthalmoscope, BP cuff, etc. Is there a vendor that sells all of that in a "bag" or do you have to buy the pieces separately. I know that the otoscope/opthalmoscope combos are easy to find, but haven't seen any complete sets - except for the toy ones, of course. Wonder if they would work??? They're much cheaper...

Don't know anything about the binder. I don't remember when I got mine. Don't build it up in your mind too much though. It is anti-climactic. Its cool and all, but nothing to get all worked up about. It has your schedule, which will change several times, and some other stuff in it.

I don't know anything about a doctor bag, but during orientation, there is a guy who comes by from a local vendor to sell us all that stuff. We get a pretty good deal on it, but I still suggest that you buy as much of it used as you can.

Get the babinski and tuning fork from him. I'm not sure you even need the sphyg at all. GOMA gives us a very nice stethoscope, so don't buy that. You MAY need the otoscope/ophthalmoscope, but you may not. At this point, I think we've used ours in 2-3 labs. Absolutely get this used if you buy it.

It is cool to own all this crap and it makes you feel like you're getting started, but then when you're getting buried in classwork, and all this **** is sitting on your desk collecting dust, you'll be glad you listened to me. Get it used, on ebay, from some other med student who bought it and used it twice.

If you go into ophtho or something, then go buy the panoptic. Or if the army is buying all your crap.

Has anyone completed and recieved anything about financial aid figures for the upcoming year. I did my GRAD Plus and Stafford MPNs but did not really know what the next step prior to receiving to receiving a fin aid award letter at some point in the game.

For those current students how does the GRAD Plus money disperse over the course of the year? Is it like a monthly stipend or is it given twice a year, once a year, or in some other manner? I was looking on the website and could not find any dates in partifular regarding this, and I have not received any more from fin aid since the packet they sent about a month ago. Thanks guys.

Has anyone completed and recieved anything about financial aid figures for the upcoming year. I did my GRAD Plus and Stafford MPNs but did not really know what the next step prior to receiving to receiving a fin aid award letter at some point in the game.

For those current students how does the GRAD Plus money disperse over the course of the year? Is it like a monthly stipend or is it given twice a year, once a year, or in some other manner? I was looking on the website and could not find any dates in partifular regarding this, and I have not received any more from fin aid since the packet they sent about a month ago. Thanks guys.

The Philly office said they would communciate via PCOM email for all financial aid updates. Hopefully there is nothing important in our inboxes!
:rolleyes:

I just paid my $2k deposit :eek: by credit card. If you're interested in paying by CC, call 215.871.6189 (Bursar's Office) and they will email the authorization form.

Sup all,
Just "officially" made my decision to come to PCOM GA campus as class of 2013. Thanks to all the other classes for all the info already posted on this thread. Its been a big help thus far. I'm sure I'll have questions soon but just saying hey and glad to be apart of GA PCOM come this august.

I posted this on the facebook page for class of 2013 as well, but since some of you may not be on that, I thought I'd share some info with y'all. For anyone interested in Emergency Medicine:

If you think you might be interested in Emergency Medicine, consider joining our EM Club/Interest Group at school. I will be the president of the group for next year, and I am hoping to build on some of the things that we have done in the past.

Some things we've already done, that I plan on doing again:

LP Clinic - Lumbar punctures in the emergency department
Airway Clinic - airway management and pharmacology
Suture clinic
Residency program directors as guest speakers
ING Marathon medical support (with Emory EM faculty)

Some things I have already got the ball rolling on:
Grady ED volunteering (GREAT experience)
Emory EM physician shadowing program

Some things I'd like to do:
Regular journal article review - topics relevant to emergency medicine
Augusta half-ironman medical support (with MCG EM faculty, I believe)
EM Ultrasound clinic - FAST exams, etc. Although this might be tough to set up

Through some previous students, we already have a pretty good relationship with Emory EM faculty, and I am doing my best to further this. I spend one day a week (often Saturday nights) volunteering at Grady, and some of my classmates will be joining me soon.

I have also gotten the ball rolling for some formal shadowing of their EM faculty by our students. I have all the paperwork, and have already filled out mine. I am really going to push this experience on our EM club members next year.

These Emory docs are fantastic. Most of them are very friendly, and they love to teach. You could do a lot worse than going to medical school in Atlanta. There are a lot of great opportunities here. One student, who is part of our inaugural graduating class this year, just matched to Emory's EM program, so I am hoping that we'll be able to get some input on her estimation of the program, as her training progresses. Although all the residents I've spoken with there feel that they are being trained very well.

I should also add that one of our Neuroscience course directors is also on faculty as an EM professor at MCG. He is very high on their program, and it seems to be pretty good, so it is nice to have a presence out there. He is supposedly one of our biggest advocates in the medical community.

If anyone has any questions, suggestions, etc., feel free to contact me here on facebook. And anyone in the area who might be interested in getting started on some Grady volunteering a little early is also welcome to drop me a line, and I will tell you what you need to do.

Anyway, congratulations to all of you who have been accepted. We are excited about meeting you in the Fall, if not sooner!

And the facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=8009&uid=52783210165#/group.php?gid=52783210165

Join up! Get to know your future classmates.

Just paid the $2K deposit. Hope I get my binder soon lol. Look forward to starting things up a few months from now.

I spoke with Christy in Admissions at Philly yesterday to ensure that they had received my $2K deposit. They had, soI asked her about these fabled binders. She said that "now that you've paid the $2000," you'll get it in a week or two." Interesting. Contrary to previous claims, shipping the binder does seem to be tied to payment of the big deposit. I guess they want to be sure we're committed to attending GA-PCOM before wasting money on a binder. If anyone gets their binder, please publish the news!

I sent in everything I was suppose to and the school confirmed that they received everything except for the MPN. They mentioned that I first have to find a lender. I'm taking out both staff subs and unsubs and also grad plus loans. So... how do I go about doing this?? Is there a list of lenders that I can choose from? Which is the best and most reliable? Thanks guys.

I spoke with Christy in Admissions at Philly yesterday to ensure that they had received my $2K deposit. They had, soI asked her about these fabled binders. She said that "now that you've paid the $2000," you'll get it in a week or two." Interesting. Contrary to previous claims, shipping the binder does seem to be tied to payment of the big deposit. I guess they want to be sure we're committed to attending GA-PCOM before wasting money on a binder. If anyone gets their binder, please publish the news!

So, I just spoke to someone from student affairs at the Georgia campus and she said that the binders are being sent out in batches. One batch was sent out last Wednesday so some of us should be getting one by the end of this week latest. She said I was in this batch so I should get it and when I do, I'll let you all know. She also said that if you receive a binder, it means that you as the student have completed all the necessary forms and sent them in with the 2K deposit. It's finally coming!!

I received the binder today. It was shipped from Philly on April 9th via Media Mail. My deposit was paid via CC last Monday or Tuesday.
:thumbup:

nice! got my binder just now too. :D

Got mine, too! Looks like most of the meat of the information is found on Banner and Nucleus. Anyway, it's seeming more real everyday!

Hey everybody. Glad to hear we are all getting our binders and things appear to be moving quickly towards day one M1. I just got back from visiting the school and the area to look at a few places that I was interested in living in this upcoming year. I personally want to have roomates and wanted to share some info for anyone else who may want to have roomates this upcoming year. I visited a current second year's townhome located in Garrison Square (less than 0.5 miles from campus) and it was absolutely great in my opinion. It is a beautiful place...3 bedrooms 2.5 baths, newly built, bedrooms upstairs, kitchen, includes dishwasher, microwave, refrigerator, washer and dryer, storage facility, lots of space (both living and storage/closet). The master bedroom with its own bathroom is being rented for 525 a month and the two other bedrooms are being rented for 440 a month (these include water). It was in my opinion the best bang for the buck...new, well kept, safe, quiet, and close to the school...so I am going to jump on and let anyone else who may be potentially interested know about it. If you have any questions or want some picks or more info PM me and I will get you in contact with the current student. Good luck and cant wait to meet everyone.

On another note, I wanted to post something on the Ga-housing group but cannot seem to access it..has anyone got any solutions?

On another note, I wanted to post something on the Ga-housing group but cannot seem to access it..has anyone got any solutions?

You have to join the group before you can access it. In nucleus, click "Groups (top right)", "Groups Index (tab)", then search "ga-pcom". You should then see the Housing and Exchange groups.

You have to join the group before you can access it. In nucleus, click "Groups (top right)", "Groups Index (tab)", then search "ga-pcom". You should then see the Housing and Exchange groups.

Nice guys, glad to see ya'll finally got those things. I remember getting the binder and being real excited to get access to nucleus and email. Unfortunately all the emails you receive from now until class starts will be junk, but you should be able to look at the class of 2013 group and get a pretty good idea of how big the class is and post some messages to your classmates. Looks like you guys found the housing group too. That may be a good place to start when looking for a place to live. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys at orientation.

I am currently looking at buying a condo in Garrison Square- I won't know much until I find out from the USAF if I get the HPSP and will know more about what my finances are going to be... If I don't do HPSP then I will definitely be renting somewhere... I should know more in May!

I am also looking for roommates! Anybody interested lemme know!

I also got the binder yesterday!

-Jared Hyman

still... no... match list...