Gamer DO's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone obsessed enough that they are getting ME3 at midnight tonight? I would if I didn't have to work tomorrow morning..

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely fit in this category, I am probably more of a gamer than is ideal for medical school. I am resolved to reducing my gaming habits when I get in but I know a few medical students who still find some time for games. I've recently gotten back into TF2, its ultra-nerdy but I get in Skype conferences with my friends and we play a couple times a week. My weakness is the RPG like games with addictive elements that suck your time away, I recently recovered from a Skyrim binge. I have the Diablo 3 beta and I am looking forward to its release in April so hopefully I can get that out of my system before school starts. Also Civilization V is getting an expansion that looks pretty good.
I think in medical school if I have time to game I will be looking for games that are fun but don't have that incentive to play all day like RPG's often do, I have no problem putting down Left 4 Dead or TF2 after an hour or so. I think it is important to keep up the hobbies you love in medical school, but moderation becomes much more important.

I definitely fit in this category, I am probably more of a gamer than is ideal for medical school. I am resolved to reducing my gaming habits when I get in but I know a few medical students who still find some time for games. I've recently gotten back into TF2, its ultra-nerdy but I get in Skype conferences with my friends and we play a couple times a week. My weakness is the RPG like games with addictive elements that suck your time away, I recently recovered from a Skyrim binge. I have the Diablo 3 beta and I am looking forward to its release in April so hopefully I can get that out of my system before school starts. Also Civilization V is getting an expansion that looks pretty good.
I think in medical school if I have time to game I will be looking for games that are fun but don't have that incentive to play all day like RPG's often do, I have no problem putting down Left 4 Dead or TF2 after an hour or so. I think it is important to keep up the hobbies you love in medical school, but moderation becomes much more important.

If you wanna play tf2 sometime, give me a holla' holla'. Usually FPS games are easy to put down after a while. I guess an hour of being engaged in something so intensely gets tiring after a while, hah. I'm probably going to continue gaming a bit during medschool. I'm leaving all my game consoles at home though... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just sitting pretty till Diablo 3 finally comes out. I pulled many all nighters do cow runs/MF runs back in the day.

If you wanna play tf2 sometime, give me a holla' holla'. Usually FPS games are easy to put down after a while. I guess an hour of being engaged in something so intensely gets tiring after a while, hah. I'm probably going to continue gaming a bit during medschool. I'm leaving all my game consoles at home though... :(

If I go to DMU which is looking more likely these days, I will have to compare notes on games with you. I get a console just so my fiancee doesn't get too bored while I am in school.

I am pretty excited for XCOM: Enemy Unknown (not the crappy shooter remake one, the legit one), I played the original back in the day and it was one of my favorites. There was a video posted for the new one today and its looking pretty good so far.

If anyone has Mass Effect 3 and wants to play some multiplayer on Xbox Live shoot me a friend request: Outlier765.

If anyone has Mass Effect 3 and wants to play some multiplayer on Xbox Live shoot me a friend request: Outlier765.

You got it! I'm getting my copy tomorrow. Is the multiplayer the same as the campaign? How is it different?

You got it! I'm getting my copy tomorrow. Is the multiplayer the same as the campaign? How is it different?

Nice!!! The multiplayer is a survival/horde mode, playing it increases your war assets/readiness for the final mission in the campaign from what I have read. I am not too far into the campaign so I am not sure how much it helps, but it is fun to play with friends.

Is anyone obsessed enough that they are getting ME3 at midnight tonight? I would if I didn't have to work tomorrow morning..

I got the game on release night and finished it today. I honestly have to say that while I loved ME3 and the series in its entirety, the endings just left a horrible taste in my mouth. I mean I have unreasonably high standards when it comes to movies, games, books, etc... and I even actively tried to lower them for ME3 but Jesus Christ man. The game-play, the storyline, the dialogue, all great and then it just turned to **** in what was supposed to be the climax of an otherwise great story. The best way I can describe the feeling, is to have you imagine that Da Vinci had painted 90% of the Mona Lisa and then didn't draw on her face or Michelangelo only drew the outline for the Sistine Chapel and then said, "yep that's good enough." I mean we were given the outline for what could have been a great, fluid arc of a story, but instead we got the ending(s) we did. They turned me off so bad that I don't even want to do another play through and I usually am good for at least three per game.

Other than my previously stated feelings toward the ending, I will give it this, the ending credit song is amazing. At least the developers could make one thing right.

TL;DR game was great until then end, then it turned to **** and I'm mad I spent $50 on this game + all the money on the 2 games before it.

wonder if anyone got a ps vita and has any impressions. it seems like the perfect gadget for gamers to bring to med school when they move this upcoming fall

Man, one of the first games I'm going to touch right after boards is definitely CS:GO...that and Bioshock Infinite, assuming they're both out by then. :xf:

Edit: Ugh, just looked up Infinite has an October 2012 release date set.

Last edited:
Haven't read through this thread yet. But I just made a horrible/awesome life decision. Just bought Civ 4 and all of the expansions on steam....little brother also just made me borderlands 2 to play with him.

Didn't want to get Civ 5, looked like they simplified it too much to try to get new players interested. Civ 4 is going to take up way too much of my time....

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the game on release night and finished it today. I honestly have to say that while I loved ME3 and the series in its entirety, the endings just left a horrible taste in my mouth. I mean I have unreasonably high standards when it comes to movies, games, books, etc... and I even actively tried to lower them for ME3 but Jesus Christ man. The game-play, the storyline, the dialogue, all great and then it just turned to **** in what was supposed to be the climax of an otherwise great story. The best way I can describe the feeling, is to have you imagine that Da Vinci had painted 90% of the Mona Lisa and then didn't draw on her face or Michelangelo only drew the outline for the Sistine Chapel and then said, "yep that's good enough." I mean we were given the outline for what could have been a great, fluid arc of a story, but instead we got the ending(s) we did. They turned me off so bad that I don't even want to do another play through and I usually am good for at least three per game.

Other than my previously stated feelings toward the ending, I will give it this, the ending credit song is amazing. At least the developers could make one thing right.

TL;DR game was great until then end, then it turned to **** and I'm mad I spent $50 on this game + all the money on the 2 games before it.

So I finally finished the campaign, it took me a while bc I have been addicted to the MP. I also thought the game was great until the ending, I chose the red (destroy) ending and although it seems like that is the best ending, it was still very dissatisfying. I am quite as upset as you are though I love this series and will probably do another playthrough on insanity once they release the extended cut. I will also continue tearing up the MP.

Kotaku wrote an excellent article I encourage you to read on why the ending disrespected it's most loyal fan base:

http://kotaku.com/5898743/mass-effect-3s-ending-disrespects-its-most-invested-players

PCS50: I beat the game last week, we need to play some more MP again soon! I've been working overtime at the hospital but when I get an extra hour or two, you better be on! :thumbup:

Yeah that article is solid, I am definitely game to join up again for some more MP. Have you unlocked any of the new characters yet? The Geth Engineer and Asari Justicar Adept are amazing!

So glad Diablo III comes out May 15...

not. I just need to think about how great it will be to reward myself come July 7th...

Anyone else think it's a little weird that the game comes out in 3 days and not a single review has been posted? Trade embargo much? Usually when game companies withhold the media from publishing reviews until release, it means the game is usually not that good. Same thing happens with movies (rotten tomatoes, anyone?). Then again, Blizzard has an impressive track record, and I doubt they'd publish a dud.

I guess I just want someone to say, "ehh, it's not that good."

Anyone else think it's a little weird that the game comes out in 3 days and not a single review has been posted? Trade embargo much? Usually when game companies withhold the media from publishing reviews until release, it means the game is usually not that good. Same thing happens with movies (rotten tomatoes, anyone?). Then again, Blizzard has an impressive track record, and I doubt they'd publish a dud.

Hey... Play DrawSomething... It's your turn.

Alright, there. Good luck, i sucked on that one.

The viral marketing for D3 has been pretty minimal... kind of surprising. I expected cryptic ads all over the place. Then again, without monthly revenue stream on the horizon they might be playing it safe.

I think they're going to make a fortune on the real money transaction auction house though. Can you imagine trying to explain to an accountant that you made $6,000 selling digital weapons on a game?

Im a bit behind the times. Im finishing up Dragon Age 2 (which kind of sucks, but I want to finish it), neverwinter nights mask of the betrayer, and Witcher.

Anyone play halo reach? If you do PM me your gt and we'll DO it up (see what I did there)

Anyone play halo reach? If you do PM me your gt and we'll DO it up (see what I did there)

by far the worst of the halos. i played two games and couldn't tolerate it anymore.

Wow! Just found this post and it made me day! :) Glad to see there will be other "gamer D.O.s" at DMU. RPG and strategy fanatic here (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim, Civ, Europa Universalis). Completing Mass Effect before school starts is my goal right now

Any game made by Bethesda is great. Fallout and Elder scrolls are my favorites.

Started the Diablo 3 beta last night. Not sure it was a good idea.

so busy with school i missed playing BF3....I can't play max payne 3 my all time favorite, and so many other games...

Well after my abysmal score on my first post-content review full length I am going to need my boyfriend to put the Diablo 3 on lockdown. :scared:

My xbox just contracted the red lights of death...if I believed in signs, I'd say it's a sign. FML If they come out with a better Star Wars game (The old republic on PC doesn't count as I don't do pc games) I might have to get a new xbox.Till then, withdraws =(

Just learned this weekend that the Program Director for our Family Practice program is a hard core gamer. Two Words...Black Ops.

BLACK OPSSS :D .... at a point last summer i was playing that game about 6 hrs everyday :$ .. dont judge

I finished Mass Effect 3 last month and then and bought Halo 3 and ODST used at bargain-basement prices. I never noticed it in the first 2 Halo games (which I played the crap out of in college), but man, the player animations when the characters are talking are so cartoonish in Halo compared to Mass Effect. Was this always the case? I'm afraid of tarnishing the good ol' memories of Halo and Halo 2.

I finished Mass Effect 3 last month and then and bought Halo 3 and ODST used at bargain-basement prices. I never noticed it in the first 2 Halo games (which I played the crap out of in college), but man, the player animations when the characters are talking are so cartoonish in Halo compared to Mass Effect. Was this always the case? I'm afraid of tarnishing the good ol' memories of Halo and Halo 2.

I really dont know how you can stand ODST, I found it to be just plainly terrible.