Gap year abroad?

Started by alt91119
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alt91119

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it possible to live abroad (14 hour plane flight away) during a gap year? I would love to do so, and I personally think it would be a much more enriching experience than just sitting in the same town I went to college in and working as a lab tech, CNA, etc.

My concern, however, is that it would be essentially impossible to do so due to the immense costs and inconvenience that interviews would cause. Has anybody lived abroad during a gap year, and if so, how do the logistics work?

Thank you!
 
I'm also interested in doing this, but I have been looking at programs where you can do some sort of volunteering or working in exchange for money or living with a host and working for them in exchange for food/shelter.