This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlw7cc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've read a lot of posts on here but never posted one myself. I'm hoping some of you will be able to give me some insight on my current situation. I just graduated with a BS in Biology. I decided to take a gap year last summer because I had no research experience at the time. I was able to get into a lab and research throughout the entire school year (~15-20 hrs/week). I gave 3 presentations but have no publications. Right now I'm trying to decide what to do this upcoming year. I was accepted into City Year through Americorps where I would serve as a mentor/tutor to kids in underserved schools throughout the year. The big drawbacks to this is that, from what I understand, most days members work ~10 hours and there is limited time off for interviews. I am also considering continuing to research in the same lab, but I wouldn't be paid (at least initially) due to lack of funding, so I would have to pick up a part-time job--maybe tutoring. Lastly, I've thought about scribing to get more clinical experience, as I could use more shadowing hours.
Here are my stats: I graduated with a 4.00 and got a 515 on my MCAT. 66 shadowing hours (no matter what I end up primarily doing, I am already planning on getting in a lot of shadowing to hopefully help this), 452 clinical volunteering hours, 352 nonclinical volunteering hours. I was also an RA, vice-president of a club, and involved in dorm government as my major leadership experiences.
Any input you have would be super appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I'm also doing City Year during my gap year/this year--I'm so excited! I'm also worried about limited time for interviews also but we get 10-12 days off so if you anticipate getting >4-5 interviews that would definitely be a drawback, but I don't really foresee myself getting more than that (though that would be nice and would create a problem).

I also considered working in my lab this year instead of City Year but City Year is just such an amazing opportunity to give back. I want to do research for the rest of my life (I'm applying MD/PhD though, but I have a significant amount of research and getting more research hours is not my priority) so I wanted this year to be something different and new. Again, this was why I chose City Year over research and may be different for you (I have significantly less volunteering experience than you.)

In terms of scribing, I know a good amount of people who did scribing in their gap year and were successful in getting into MD or DO schools.

Good luck!

With your stats and ECs, you have a strong chance of admission somewhere. Your gap year job will do nothing for you- pick the one you enjoy. In your case, you don't need your gap year job to save your application and boost your chances.

You don't need more shadowing our with the amount of clinical hours you have. Many accepted applicants have zero shadowing.