This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NGMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 20 year old URM male at a Top 20 undergrad institution. I plan on applying in next years cycle but because of my low GPA, i have been considering taking a gap year to improve my stats. Im currently sitting at a 3.4 cGPA and and 3.3sGPA, no grades under a B- just a whole lot of B's. Im taking the MCAT early next year and currently have been scoring consistently >515. I originally considered applying for an SMP but my parents would be unable to support me and I wont be able to afford it on my own.
I recently got a job at an EMR company and Im really considering taking it but I feel like I should be using my gap year to improve my grades even though the money they are offering could really help me relieve a lot of my current debt, and my pre-med advisor told me to take it as my GPA may be to low for a US MD anyway.
I honestly just need any advice on how to proceed with my future.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you an URM? If not you there's a couple good options. Do a masters or something and get a good GPA (3.7+) or apply to both MD and DO schools. Both options would require a good MCAT so kill it.

Are you an URM? If not you there's a couple good options. Do a masters or something and get a good GPA (3.7+) or apply to both MD and DO schools. Both options would require a good MCAT so kill it.
Yes I am

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you get a 508+ on the MCAT and are URM and apply broadly to mid-low tier MD schools you'll get some II's and acceptances. Apply the first day you can to 20-30 schools.

Reactions: 1 users
you can look up acceptance statistics by race and see where you stand.

Reactions: 1 user
Invest in MSAR. being a URM will be a big advantage. Also, if your MCAT score is as high as you are scoring on practice exams, I think you will be more than fine!

Reactions: 1 user