Gap year after bad freshman year advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jep12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN... I'm finishing up my freshman year and will end up in a pretty bad spot (around a 2.5 gpa). Came in as a business major, ended up becoming very ill at the end of the semester and ended that with a 2.3. Started Bio major second semester, will probably end up with a 2.5-3.0.

I know that's salvageable, however, I don't think I'm in a good mental state to continue my studies currently. I've struggled with some pretty bad anxiety and depression (something that has never came up until this year), not to mention that I took out a humongous private loan (13k at 12% interest) to come to state school my first year, which I realize now was an awful decision. Throughout high school, I was an above average student with very high test scores and a decent gpa, but didn't really gain any scholarships. I have no financial backing currently... pay my own rent and tuition (on loans this year).

It's always been my dream to attend a great medical school, but going from high school to the "real world" without the help of my parents was really a shock to me - I've struggled. What I'm now planning on doing is a gap year to work full time, pay off these loans, and get as much shadow and volunteer experience as possible. My current environment isn't very good for me... I live in a huge party house, living paycheck to paycheck, struggling in school, etc. After that I want to restart my pre-medical studies at a cc, and go from there. I guess my question is does this sound like a good idea? Is taking a gap year right now and restarting college a better idea than just transferring to the cc this upcoming fall semester? Should I make getting rid of this loan debt a priority now, or just put it off until later? Any and all advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear of your woes.

Get a job, any job, and start saving money, and paying off your debts. You can volunteer in the mean times as well.

Then go back to school stronger and better.

Med schools aren't going anywhere and there will be at least ten-fourteen new ones (DO + MD) by the time you finish college.

After that I want to restart my pre-medical studies at a cc, and go from there. I guess my question is does this sound like a good idea? Is taking a gap year right now and restarting college a better idea than just transferring to the cc this upcoming fall semester? Should I make getting rid of this loan debt a priority now, or just put it off until later? Any and all advice is appreciated!

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to hear of your woes.

Get a job, any job, and start saving money, and paying off your debts. You can volunteer in the mean times as well.

Then go back to school stronger and better.

Med schools aren't going anywhere and there will be at least ten-fourteen new ones (DO + MD) by the time you finish college.

As a faculty member, Goro's advice should be strongly heeded. There's nothing wrong with taking a gap year.

That being said, Be Very Careful.

Depending on what happens next year, it can be easy to become comfortable or, more accurately, complacent. Leaving school for one year can turn into leaving school for 2, 5, 10 years, or indefinitely. I speak from experience. I graduated 2.5 years ago and am still on a gap.

While there's nothing wrong with not finishing college or having a regular job with a comfortable lifestyle, etc., you face the possibility of strongly regretting not going back to school (or doing so sooner) for the rest of your life--if you do end up wanting to get into medicine at some point.

After (or during) this gap year that you're using to get yourself together and determine whether or not a career in medicine is a good idea for you, you can keep that education going. If you don't, getting back into the swing of school can be extraordinarily hard once you are out for a while. I recommend taking free classes online (edX / Coursera / etc.) while you're on your year off to keep the habit of academic interest going.

As far as finances are concerned, if you don't have a scholarship and you want to go to medical school one day, then the best thing you can do to save money and graduate from a 4-year institution is: (1) get your associates degree at a CC after two years and (2) transfer into a university in-state for your bachelor's.

Transferring in from a CC is a great deal to save money, and, after that, graduating from the best state school you can gain access to is vastly important, for the connections you make at an undergraduate institution are invaluable for the rest of your life. The better the state school you go to, the better the connections, (generally) the better the people writing your letters, and the better odds you have at getting into med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
But this is fine! Coming into the med school app process as, say a 27 year old, makes you a better candidate because you have a work history, plus more wisdom and maturity.

Believe me, having a good work ethic related to a job is a good thing, because residency directors are noticing that PGY1's nowadays literally have no job experience, and it shows on the job.

Depending on what happens next year, it can be easy to become comfortable or, more accurately, complacent. Leaving school for one year can turn into leaving school for 2, 5, 10 years, or indefinitely. I speak from experience. I graduated 2.5 years ago and am still on a gap.

While there's nothing wrong with not finishing college or having a regular job with a comfortable lifestyle, etc., you face the possibility of strongly regretting not going back to school (or doing so sooner) for the rest of your life--if you do end up wanting to get into medicine at some point.

After (or during) this gap year that you're using to get yourself together and determine whether or not a career in medicine is a good idea for you, you can keep that education going. If you don't, getting back into the swing of school can be extraordinarily hard once you are out for a while. I recommend taking free classes online (edX / Coursera / etc.) while you're on your year off to keep the habit of academic interest going.

As far as finances are concerned, if you don't have a scholarship and you want to go to medical school one day, then the best thing you can do to save money and graduate from a 4-year institution is: (1) get your associates degree at a CC after two years and (2) transfer into a university in-state for your bachelor's.

Transferring in from a CC is a great deal to save money, and, after that, graduating from the best state school you can gain access to is vastly important, for the connections you make at an undergraduate institution are invaluable for the rest of your life. The better the state school you go to, the better the connections, (generally) the better the people writing your letters, and the better odds you have at getting into med school.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the responses! That's refreshing to hear. Being 18, and coming from a prestigious private high school, I got caught up in the idea that I needed to be just like everyone else (Move to college, join a fraternity, be in med school in 4 years). It's refreshing to hear someone say that a gap year is probably a very good idea in my situation.

I plan on spending the next year gaining more work experience as well as shadowing and volunteering to decide whether or not pursuing a medical career is right for me - although I really think it is. That's one thing I'm worried about though, is a gap year turning into a 2 or 3 year gap year. As long as I stay focused on my end goal, however, I think it'll be a really good thing.

Is there any other advice you guys could offer as to what kinds of experiences I should pursue during the year? I'm planning on working full time (already have a couple of great jobs), volunteering and shadowing at some local offices and hospitals (have a few connections), as well as getting some outside volunteer experience - perhaps a service trip or something of the sort. I've already been on a couple, and they were great experiences. Anything else I should try and do / accomplish or fill my time with?

All great advice so far --

But 13K at 12%? Holy Moly! Pay that off as quickly as possible, so couch surf if you can / move back home / live in your car -- anything to get that debt behind you and make it go away. Where did you even find a student loan that awful? If it takes you 2-3 years, so be it. You will learn a lot paying off that kind of debt. Consider looking for a living situation where you live rent-free in the home of someone who needs some assistance -- elderly or disabled. You'll be able to save a lot of money/clear your debts and ALSO build up some valuable experiences that will help you become a better applicant. Not a whole lot of fun, but the antidote to a party house.

Then yeah, CC, state school, med school. However long it takes --

All great advice so far --

But 13K at 12%? Holy Moly! Pay that off as quickly as possible, so couch surf if you can / move back home / live in your car -- anything to get that debt behind you and make it go away. Where did you even find a student loan that awful? If it takes you 2-3 years, so be it. You will learn a lot paying off that kind of debt. Consider looking for a living situation where you live rent-free in the home of someone who needs some assistance -- elderly or disabled. You'll be able to save a lot of money/clear your debts and ALSO build up some valuable experiences that will help you become a better applicant. Not a whole lot of fun, but the antidote to a party house.

Then yeah, CC, state school, med school. However long it takes --

Lol, trust me, I know. Very bad decision. Realistically I should be able to pay it off in 2 or 3 years. Shouldn't be too big of a problem... have already started making payments. Also already signed a lease for next year, but my rent is relatively low, and I'll be living with a quiet roommate, so I think it is a very good move.

Additionally, would it be a bad idea to withdraw from my current classes this semester? I'm struggling, and after reevaluating, there's just as good of a chance that I could end of failing them. I'm in Gen Chem 1 and Bio 1 and one other joke of a class (Human sex... have an A) ... I was doing great in chem and bio until the depression and anxiety problems started to creep up on me. I know I'm just too far behind to make it up at this point, and it will further kill my GPA. Withdrawal deadline is coming up... I'm ok with chalking this year up as a loss, but would that be ok to withdrawal this semester, assuming I come back strong after my gap year? (I plan on starting from scratch at the cc anyways).

Jep, listen to Goro. S/he knows way more than I do.

If you're going to drop those classes, they're going to show up as such on your transcript. Do you get a refund if you withdraw? If so, go ahead.. you can explain that to schools later. If not, get your money's worth.

I would also like to add that, if you do the math, going to a state school with loans is fine so long as you get a good paying job afterwards. You can pay off debt with a graduate's salary; it takes a lot longer to pay off debt with a cashier's wage.