Gap year after master's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

URMfemaleMPH

issa
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I feel like it depends on your financial situation. If you can afford it, doing part time clinical work while continuing research seems like the best move as far as your application is concerned. You're also gonna want to show off that altruism and volunteer a little for the next 6 months before you apply, which might be hard if you work full time.

I wouldn't relax until you get accepted somewhere. I also went straight into master's after UG and felt the burn out....but there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you'll get there as long as you put your app before everything else.

Straight after my master I took a gap year as a medical assistant and I loved it. I may have been lucky in my case, but I got to see all aspects in a small clinic setting working with a family doc. I worked front desk, did insurance calls, roomed patients, took vitals, got a little of their chief complaints and history, drew blood, ran lab tests, and some days the doctor would have me scribe and shadow her.

Coming into med school, it’s great to see so many applications to what I was doing at work. If you want to take a break from topics within your master, do it. It’s what ever suits you best. I would definitely say do something that you enjoy before starting. I know I gave myself a month trip to Ecuador from some of the money I saved up working before I started school.