Gap Year Experience before MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inquirer89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sup guys, I am interested in healthcare administration and consulting and had applied to a few top MPH programs for the 2014 cycle (for either a generalist or management/policy focus). I got deferred at two but ultimately did not get accepted. No biggie, and I definitely intend on reapplying for 2015. My academic stats are decent but will write the GRE again to improve my score. I also have over 5 years of clinical experience as a part-time hospital pharm tech while in school full time (graduating this summer), but nothing in relation to public health and administration, and I cite this as one of the main reasons for my non-acceptance.

Of course, AdComs don't tell you the specific factors in why they turned you down, but they all gave me the general advice of getting more public health experience to compliment my clinical pharm tech background. But since I am reapplying with SOPHAS opening again in September, I don't think I should commit to a new full time public health position if I will potentially be leaving for a MPH program in a year. What are some short-term public health experiences that could benefit as a gap year? Especially interested in the non-clinical perspectives like administration, systems delivery, and policy. PeaceCorps and most hospital administration fellowships tend to be two years or more, but AmeriCorps can be less than a year and I know the WHO has global health internships lasting only a few months. Any other ideas for internships, fellowships, etc? Or alternatively would volunteering at a local public health clinic suffice, while I work full time at my current pharmacy job as I gear up for reapplication?

Would like to hear from successful matriculates if possible. Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should consider a full-time public health/healthcare administration position and apply the year after so to get 2 years of experience before applying. It'll help you get into a way better school & scholarship $$, and most importantly, you'll have a better chance in the recruitment cycle during grad school. MPH, like an MBA, is a professional degree and unless you plan on going into the research/science route of the MPH, you absolutely need work experience to get the most out of grad school and recruitment.