Gap year options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medbunny56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I recommend 12-16 hours of additional Biology coursework, specifically upper-level graduate coursework. Research is also recommended. Try reaching out to a physician at your institution and humbly ask for experience. Your institution should have some sort of directory to look up research physicians, if not then ask your pre-health advisor. Also, try shadowing a primary care physician for a week or two and reflect on the patient-doctor relationship. Again, use a directory to look up these physicians, go to urgent care clinics in your area and ask for shadowing opportunities, or ask your pre-health advisor. Perform some sort of weekly community service as part of an organization (ex. Salvation Army etc.) Lastly, take the MCAT if you haven't already.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend 12-16 hours of additional Biology coursework, specifically upper-level graduate coursework. Research is also recommended. Try reaching out to a physician at your institution and humbly ask for experience. Your institution should have some sort of directory to look up research physicians, if not then ask your pre-health advisor. Also, try shadowing a primary care physician for a week or two and reflect on the patient-doctor relationship. Again, use a directory to look up these physicians, go to urgent care clinics in your area and ask for shadowing opportunities, or ask your pre-health advisor. Perform some sort of weekly community service as part of an organization (ex. Salvation Army etc.) Lastly, take the MCAT if you haven't already.

Okay I will challenge myself and go for the upper level courses and keep med schools updated on those grades

My current research is pretty solid, I've submitted one first author manuscript for review and have another first author in preparation which will be submitted soon, I will send updates letters to schools upon their acceptance

Reactions: 1 user