Gap Year or two?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

automobile_la

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pre-pharmacy graduating senior. I still have 2-3 prerequisite classes I need to take before applying for pharm school. I was originally planning on taking just one gap year, but I realized I may not be a competitive candidate.

--I have no research experience
--I haven't taken the PCAT (not required for CA schools), but still considering on taking it
--I am planning to get my pharm tech license and apply to a pharmacy during my gap year
--Also planning on doing some volunteer work
-- I still need letters of rec

Since applications for the next school year start this summer, now I am unsure whether I can complete the application and make myself look like a competitive candidate in time. But I'm scared waiting until next summer to apply (2 gap years) is too long?

Any advice? I would like to hear from someone who took one or two gap years and tell me about their experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I took a gap year I felt it was not worth it made me feel like I wasted a whole year. I decided that I needed a year off during December of 2013 so I still had time to change my mind. During this year I have been working two Jobs, volunteering at a hospital pharmacy on and off, took the pcat , and signed up for a class. Since you already passed the cycle coming up your gap year is inevitable so do everything during then but you will feel like you wasted a year. The only thing that was good for my gap year is that I got a job using my chemistry degree and of course saved a few so I'm lessening my loan distribution.

I have a gap year. Looking forward to it lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated in May 2013 and applied last fall. I was accepted this year to multiple schools but due to back surgery I am deferring until 2016. As stated above, the break between schools are nice to save some more money as undergrad expenses basically ate up all of my money from my job in college. I was also able to gain some extra volunteer time/shadowing. SHADOWING/WORKING in a pharmacy is HUGE. A big reason I liked my break is it gave me a chance to take the PCAT more than once and I was able to improve significantly w/o all of the studying of regular classes. Improvements in my PCAT were a specific reason of some of the interviews I was granted (UC Denver, UGA; the staff stated this specifically).
Speak with your professors before you graduate for letters of rec. Since I knew I was applying after graduation I spoke with my Ochem professor in the summer following graduation about the LOR and kept in touch with him.

I don't see any reason to have 2 gap years. All you would be doing is working as a tech. You could easily gain 6 months of tech experience before the application cycle with just 1 gap year. The PCAT only takes 2-3 weeks of studying. Research isn't that important if you have tech experience so just skip that. Volunteer work may be worth it, maybe set it up to volunteer every Sunday for the summer.

Most importantly ace the 2-3 classes you have left, nail the PCAT, and get a tech job.