Gap year suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highhopes92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like planning ahead, and I figured that this might be useful for people who are in a situation like me, where they are still in the process of applying and still have hope but since it is almost January it is time to start planning for the worse just in case.

Now most will say just do something you would like to do during gap year, but I thought it be nice to get a list going of possible medicine-related things you can do during your year off.

I have looked into scribing but there is no scribe agency in a place near me that I have seen yet. I was wondering if there is anything similar to this.

Also, I have looked at the NIH IRTA post-bacc program, and it seems interesting but I have heard very little about it.

What suggestions do you have for a gap year?

Members don't see this ad.

First, if there is anything in your application that is possibly preventing you from getting any IIs, address it. Low GPA? Take extra courses or consider graduate study. Low MCAT? Retake. If your GPA is so low that it would take more than 2ish terms to bring it up, consider an SMP.

If you don't need to fix your numbers, there are plenty of medical activities you can do. You can work in a nearby hospital as a PCA, transporter, etc. You can look for 1-year research positions. You can become certified as an EMT. You can continue volunteering if money isn't an issue.

Americorps may be another feasible option, allowing you to so something service-oriented while making a tiny, tiny amount of money. There are a good number of health oriented positions available.

NIH or other government-based research programs are also an option, but those deadlines are probably coming up very soon.

I like planning ahead, and I figured that this might be useful for people who are in a situation like me, where they are still in the process of applying and still have hope but since it is almost January it is time to start planning for the worse just in case.

Now most will say just do something you would like to do during gap year, but I thought it be nice to get a list going of possible medicine-related things you can do during your year off.

I have looked into scribing but there is no scribe agency in a place near me that I have seen yet. I was wondering if there is anything similar to this.

Also, I have looked at the NIH IRTA post-bacc program, and it seems interesting but I have heard very little about it.

What suggestions do you have for a gap year?

I'm doing the NIH IRTA post-bacc program, very convenient and a great way to get some research experience. It can be very time-intensive, but most PIs are very understanding about letting you take time off for interviews and stuff. Your experience will depend almost wholly on the lab you get into, but it's a great opportunity.

Last edited: