MPH Gap Year Suggestions

Started by taylaure
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

taylaure

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!

I am planning on applying to epidemiology programs after graduating from undergrad this year; however, I will be taking at least one gap year before starting my masters degree. I was just curios as to what programs or jobs that others have participated in during their year off and if anyone has any suggestions for me. Would be pursuing a research assistant position or something more applicable to public health be the best? If it matters, I will be graduating with a degree in Biology, Health and Society with a focus in Cellular and Molecular Biology.

Thanks for all the help!
 
Hey are you looking to do more applied/field epi or research based epi? Either way I believe that most public health graduate programs appreciate any type of experience whether it's research or field work. You should look into the CDC's PHAP program which is 2 years (the application opens up beginning of 2020). You could also look into AmeriCorps. For more research based opportunities I suggest going on the CDC ORISE website and looking up their fellowships. The ORISE website usually posts tons of opportunities throughout the year.