MPH Gap Year Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylaure

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am planning on applying to epidemiology programs after graduating from undergrad this year; however, I will be taking at least one gap year before starting my masters degree. I was just curios as to what programs or jobs that others have participated in during their year off and if anyone has any suggestions for me. Would be pursuing a research assistant position or something more applicable to public health be the best? If it matters, I will be graduating with a degree in Biology, Health and Society with a focus in Cellular and Molecular Biology.

Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey are you looking to do more applied/field epi or research based epi? Either way I believe that most public health graduate programs appreciate any type of experience whether it's research or field work. You should look into the CDC's PHAP program which is 2 years (the application opens up beginning of 2020). You could also look into AmeriCorps. For more research based opportunities I suggest going on the CDC ORISE website and looking up their fellowships. The ORISE website usually posts tons of opportunities throughout the year.