Gap Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

satdixon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I applied this cycle, got 1 interview, but didn't get in anywhere. I am thinking of taking a gap year because nothing significant has changed in my application since applying last June. Do you guys think its a good idea to pursue a master's along with a clinical job and some volunteering? My MCAT is 512 and my cgpa is 3.8

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I applied this cycle, got 1 interview, but didn't get in anywhere. I am thinking of taking a gap year because nothing significant has changed in my application since applying last June. Do you guys think its a good idea to pursue a master's along with a clinical job and some volunteering? My MCAT is 512 and my cgpa is 3.8
Master's during a gap year are for people who didn't do great in undergraduate and are trying to prove to medical school admissions committees that they can handle the rigors of graduate coursework. I don't think you need a masters degree with your stats but clinical job and volunteering is always a good idea! You'll get more personal advice though if you provide more information on your application because honestly 3.8 512 is enough to get in somewhere so either your school list was too top heavy or you have a big weakness in your application.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure you need a masters based on the info provided. Obviously it won't hurt anything.

I wonder how effectively you presented yourself via your application, how well you chose where to apply, and how many schools you applied to. I also wonder when you submitted. All these are important elements in a successful application, and they won't be changed by your pursuing an masters.

First step toward a successful re-application is analyzing what went wrong the last time. I'm not sure you've done that. Then you can determine how best to transform your gap year in to a growth year... and whether you need or just want a masters.

Best,
Linda Abraham

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to ride off of someone's post but I'm hoping to get some advice/response

I graduated in May 2020 and am applying to medical school this upcoming cycle in summer 2021. I took a gap year and have done crisis text line volunteering for 15 hours/week since last April and serving on an events board for a domestic violence shelter (2 hr/week). In the meantime, I've also been studying for the MCAT.

I'm worried because I've been interviewing for clinical jobs but wasn't able to secure a full-time job as a medical assistant until now cuz of the COVID hiring freezes and I didn't want to work in a patient-facing job until after the vaccine was available and I knew that it would be safe for my grandparents who I live with.

Will this look bad to medical schools and what do I do to fix it?

Sorry to ride off of someone's post but I'm hoping to get some advice/response

I graduated in May 2020 and am applying to medical school this upcoming cycle in summer 2021. I took a gap year and have done crisis text line volunteering for 15 hours/week since last April and serving on an events board for a domestic violence shelter (2 hr/week). In the meantime, I've also been studying for the MCAT.

I'm worried because I've been interviewing for clinical jobs but wasn't able to secure a full-time job as a medical assistant until now cuz of the COVID hiring freezes and I didn't want to work in a patient-facing job until after the vaccine was available and I knew that it would be safe for my grandparents who I live with.

Will this look bad to medical schools and what do I do to fix it?
Have your grandparents been vaccinated? Can you get the clinical job now?

GPA is not the issue, probably MCAT, ECs or essays or school list.

Yes I can work now. I recently got an offer
Congratulations! Working in a clinical role now in combination with crisis text line volunteering since April should really help you. The former gives you the clinical exposure that med schools really want to see. The latter shows not only that you got valuable experience, but that you took the initiative to work with people in need despite the difficulties in doing so. The board position also show leadership.

Obviously you still need to choose the right schools and present yourself effectively, but you're on the right path. Good luck!

Last edited: