Gay Pre-Med Students - UNITE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I worry if the lot of you are to be our nations' future healers, our "intellectuals."

The point of Gay Alliance clubs is not to say "We love penis" but to provide consolation and support to those who have to face people who abuse you simply because said stmnt happens to be an accurate reflection of your sexual preference. It's also a place to examine the different, and unique life issues homosexuals face, because, as a hetero-normative society, that type of sexual/personal guidance and enlightenment isn't as easy to come by.

You seem to be confusing these solidarity groups with pride parades-which are really no better than nationalistic parades anyways, so whereas you might say "Nobody is concerned about your sexual preference!" anyone w/in the LGBTQ community is just as justified in their retort of "We don't care that you come from Ireland/PuertoRico...etc."

Please stop masquerading your homophobia as seemingly benign impatience. Realize that we are all entitled the same rights and behave with tolerance and understanding if you truly wish to help others.
Thanks.

THIS, THIS, THIS!! You expressed everything I wanted to say much more eloquently and calmly than I could, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

IT's pretty freakin' hilarious when your teacher has a funny accent...

On one hand, I see the merit of what is essentially a socializing/support group, but on the other, it is hard to make an argument for segregational societies.

I guess if that is the type of humor you enjoy...I still think it is dumb. But whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess if that is the type of humor you enjoy...I still think it is dumb. But whatever.

My sister once had a class where the professor was trying to tell them that Americans were fat because of overconsumption of Coke (as in coca-cola).

Unfortunately, his strong accent changed the message a little, and I recieved a text from my sister asking if I was aware that

"Americans are fat due to overconsumption of cock"

If that's not funny, I don't know what is.

My sister once had a class where the professor was trying to tell them that Americans were fat because of overconsumption of Coke (as in coca-cola).

Unfortunately, his strong accent changed the message a little, and I recieved a text from my sister asking if I was aware that

"Americans are fat due to overconsumption of cock"

If that's not funny, I don't know what is.

That's funny... making fun of the HOMO and LUMO in O-chem is not.

That's funny... making fun of the HOMO and LUMO in O-chem is not.

I always joked that I was the one occupying the HOMO.

I'm gay and I've done a lot of activism, but sometimes you've just got to take it easy and laugh. It is sort of funny.

I always joked that I was the one occupying the HOMO.

I'm gay and I've done a lot of activism, but sometimes you've just got to take it easy and laugh. It is sort of funny.

We have probably had different experiences (if you are, in fact, from Minnesota). I live in Arizona... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Admittedly, the HOMO and LUMO is mildly amusing, but not when your classmates constantly laugh about it in class and outside of class and then gay bash because it's cool.

We have probably had different experiences (if you are, in fact, from Minnesota). I live in Arizona... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Admittedly, the HOMO and LUMO is mildly amusing, but not when your classmates constantly laugh about it in class and outside of class and then gay bash because it's cool.

I grew up in west Michigan and went to a conservative Christian school, so I get your point. It's just that over time I've come to the conclusion that the best way to combat harmful attitudes is to engage with people and have meaningful dialogue, which is a goal that is often blocked when we try to be the PC humor police. Treat the disease, not the symptoms, you know.

At the same time, I fully understand that it's difficult to be surrounded on all sides by heterosexist/homophobic attitudes and actions, and it is tough to just sit there and listen to the noise. Going to a Christian school as a gay non-Christian gave me plenty of that crap to deal with.

I don't really have a perfect solution outside my suggestion to lighten up a little, unfortunately. :( :laugh:

I grew up in west Michigan and went to a conservative Christian school, so I get your point. It's just that over time I've come to the conclusion that the best way to combat harmful attitudes is to engage with people and have meaningful dialogue, which is a goal that is often blocked when we try to be the PC humor police. Treat the disease, not the symptoms, you know.

At the same time, I fully understand that it's difficult to be surrounded on all sides by heterosexist/homophobic attitudes and actions, and it is tough to just sit there and listen to the noise. Going to a Christian school as a gay non-Christian gave me plenty of that crap to deal with.

I don't really have a perfect solution outside my suggestion to lighten up a little, unfortunately. :( :laugh:

Oh, I know. I've definitely gotten better over the years and I am not trying to be PC. I laugh @ gay jokes and have a few of my own teehee (there is just a difference between joking and gay bashing). I am all about meaningful dialogue and all that- I am a pro at it when I need to be. :)

One thing that I do find amusing is that in my biochem class, when my professor says phagocytes, he pronounces it "***ocytes". I find that a bit amusing because I don't think he realizes what he is saying. Amazingly, no one in my class giggles (like they did at HOMO and LUMO), but I smile inside :)

EDIT: Basically, you're right. I should lighten up a little

Last edited:
One thing that I do find amusing is that in my biochem class, when my professor says phagocytes, he pronounces it "***ocytes". I find that a bit amusing because I don't think he realizes what he is saying.

That always cracks me up. Always.

Members don't see this ad :)
IT's pretty freakin' hilarious when your teacher has a funny accent...

On one hand, I see the merit of what is essentially a socializing/support group, but on the other, it is hard to make an argument for segregational societies.

This is another common misconception. Gay Alliances are not exclusionists, they gladly welcome LGBTQs in need of support and those who can provide said support, regardless of the supporter's sexuality. You can be straight and still aid the cause of increased social and personal understanding of homosexual culture. If anything, Gay Alliance clubs are more inclusionistic.

Correct, LGBTQ clubs are not supposed to be exclusive. I was the president of my high schools gay straight alliance and I was a straight guy. Although honestly, even I'd question a thread titled "Gay Pre-Med Students - UNITE!" Really? is that necessary. Also, the 5 year later bump was unnecessary. If you have a point, state it.

Is it PC to join a gay school club? I am interested in joining but I dont want to insult or disrespect anyone.

This is another common misconception. Gay Alliances are not exclusionists, they gladly welcome LGBTQs in need of support and those who can provide said support, regardless of the supporter's sexuality. You can be straight and still aid the cause of increased social and personal understanding of homosexual culture. If anything, Gay Alliance clubs are more inclusionistic.
I am a straight member of our campus QSU...

Is it PC to join a gay school club? I am interested in joining but I dont want to insult or disrespect anyone.

Join up! I always appreciated straights helping out. "Gay clubs" are typically gay-straight alliances, which are all about bringing gay and straight students together for dialogue/activism.

Don't forget, gays are are a pretty small minority (2-10%), so we can't get things done on our own. We really appreciate the support of open-minded straight people.

Correct, LGBTQ clubs are not supposed to be exclusive. I was the president of my high schools gay straight alliance and I was a straight guy. Although honestly, even I'd question a thread titled "Gay Pre-Med Students - UNITE!" Really? is that necessary. Also, the 5 year later bump was unnecessary. If you have a point, state it.

The point, I think, is that it can be lonely and smothering feeling like the only gay person, and some people can get a little overexcited in their attempts to meet other people and throw those feelings off.

Well if you hired male strippers, that would leave out my favorite kind of gay people i.e lesbians :laugh:

If someone wants to celebrate their differences with a club, they should go for it! And everyone should support them.

Wow, for years great people fought against the "separate but equal" lie of segregation. Diversity isn't about self-segregation. Join the rest of humanity instead of striating yourselves ad society.

Self-segregation is just segregation played in the other direction. Too bad we can't just be identified as good individuals and let sexuality, no matter where it falls, just be another aspect of our person and not be a tool used for the separation from everyone else.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

this

People who are in the majority can not relate to the sad realities that many minorities (sexually or racially) face so they would not understand how comforting it is to be able to discuss this with each other. Since those in the majority cannot relate, they claim these minorities are being separatists. That is fine...it's your opinion. However, minorities will always have these groups in order to stick together and if you can't handle that, it's your problem. Racism/sexism sucks, but it's a reality that minorities have to deal with and always will have to deal with. The same goes for people in the majority feeling it is unfair that minorities have these groups or that they can't form a "majority" group because it would be racist. It's a reality, so deal with it.

People who are in the majority can not relate to the sad realities that many minorities (sexually or racially) face so they would not understand how comforting it is to be able to discuss this with each other. Since those in the majority cannot relate, they claim these minorities are being separatists. That is fine...it's your opinion. However, minorities will always have these groups in order to stick together and if you can't handle that, it's your problem. Racism/sexism sucks, but it's a reality that minorities have to deal with and always will have to deal with. The same goes for people in the majority feeling it is unfair that minorities have these groups or that they can't form a "majority" group because it would be racist. It's a reality, so deal with it.

+1

Banding together to support one another and pool resources is not the same as segregation.

+1

It's also not segregation if straight people can join. Until gays are treated with the same respect and freedoms that straights are, there is no reason why there shouldn't be a group focused on rallying for tolerance.

It WOULD be segregation, however, if it was anything like my undergrad's handling of the women engineer/minority group. This is off topic, but I think it is a better illustration of what truly is unfair. I was not an engineer, but my roommate was, and he brought me to the crappiest study area with wooden tables and chairs and no windows. On our way out, I noticed a really nice lounge with new computers, comfy-looking couches, and non-fluorescent lighting. When I asked my roomie why we weren't in the better lounge the whole time, he told me that access is only granted to women and minorities (their student ID gets activated at the beginning of the term if you fall into either group). So, although everyone can use the crappy lounge, Asian and Caucasian males have no choice. It's totally backward and I consider myself very liberal, socially. This is off topic, but I think it is a better illustration of what truly could be considered unfair. If you don't like a gay group, don't join it.

What you said makes sense, but for me and maybe others who feel the same way, the whole idea that a single aspect of your overall person makes you a majority/minority is ridiculous. Fact is we are all human beings and by emphasizing our differences, which we all have and are majorities in some respects and minorities in others, we are promoting segregation.

What you said makes sense, but for me and maybe others who feel the same way, the whole idea that a single aspect of your overall person makes you a majority/minority is ridiculous. Fact is we are all human beings and by emphasizing our differences, which we all have and are majorities in some respects and minorities in others, we are promoting segregation.

If we didn't have organizations like these, civil rights won't get any better. Don't get upset if you aren't a minority.

If we didn't have organizations like these, civil rights won't get any better. Don't get upset if you aren't a minority.

What organizations are we talking about? I was more commenting on the existence of things such as this thread. This thread isn't helping with civil rights, it's only being divisive.

No one's a minority. We are all human beings, as I said in my last post. That's my point.

What organizations are we talking about? I was more commenting on the existence of things such as this thread. This thread isn't helping with civil rights, it's only being divisive.

No one's a minority. We are all human beings, as I said in my last post. That's my point.

Are you sure about that? :confused::confused:

If you are, I think that "opinion" would place you in a minority group ;).

Minority isn't a label in itself, it's a reference to certain characteristics. Gay people are sexual minorities and Latinos in mostly White areas are racial minorities.

Are you sure about that? :confused::confused:

If you are, I think that "opinion" would place you in a minority group ;).

Minority isn't a label in itself, it's a reference to certain characteristics. Gay people are sexual minorities and Latinos in mostly White areas are racial minorities.

I'm going to disagree there. I think the word minority is used as a label.

If it is being used as an intrinsic label devoid of any relativistic criteria, then it is being used incorrectly.

I absolutely agree with that, and that's why I disagree with these types of things that dissociate people into different groups as if they are fundamentally different from everyone else.

It's nice that you see each individual as being equal regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, ableness, etc. but the truth of the matter is that discrimination still exists (sometimes "legally") against minorities in each category. Groups like Gay-Straight Alliance or LGBTQIA or Association of Black Students don't exist to shut people out or to fence people in, but rather to create a safe space for dialogue and discussion. Just look at this thread. If a gay student had tried to talk to half of the people who had posted here, do you think he or she would have been able to comfortably voice his or her opinions on what it feels like to be a gay student/individual in a predominantly straight/heteronormative campus/world, without fear of being mocked or dismissed as being "too loud about his or her gayness"?

Groups like the ones I mentioned above exist so that minorities and open-minded non-minorities can talk about the issues of discrimination that are still very real in society today so that they can work to improve conditions. /rant

I absolutely agree with that, and that's why I disagree with these types of things that dissociate people into different groups as if they are fundamentally different from everyone else.

In an ideal world it wouldn't be needed. However, sometimes people of different races and sexual orientations have unique concerns that are best understood by others of the same "label", if you will. Others above me put it more eloquently than I could. But if you've struggled with, say, being gay in an intolerant Christian family, wouldn't you want gay alliances to exist so that you could get the support you need? There's nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure gay premeds have unique concerns that make the forming of a group appropriate. Talking about things like how to handle interviews and how open to be with other students, mentors, or any other people, would be useful I would think.

Pretending that there is no problem doesn't make the problem go away.

I like your way of thinking, but until it's universal, there is need for groups like GSAs.

Last edited:
Yeah niblet it is a great thing that you have that perspective, but there are many people who don't, so we stick together for support. I, not even in the least, do not hold it against you for not understanding. It is just something you have not experienced, thus cannot relate to. This is why sexual and racial diversity is so helpful in the medical profession...so people who do not understand will gain a perspective they may have never thought about. I don't complain when women clutch their purses when walking by me because I am a black male, or when I'm followed in stores (happens ALL the time). I won't complain despite the fact that I will have to be better than every white/asian/indian physician in order to gain the same respect in this profession. Although I am not homosexual, my best friend is. We hang out all the time, so by default, people assume I am gay because I am with him. I don't care because I don't care what people, who aren't close friends/family, think about me. I don't complain if we hear homophobic remarks because I know that person is ignorant. If things get out of hand, I will say something, but that is not the point. My point is...if I can deal with all of that, I don't feel I am being a separatist because I want to be a part of a group full of people who can directly relate to my situation. I think these groups as far as homosexuality goes are great because seeing what my best friend goes through with his mother and society in general, it is horrible. So to have some support is a great thing.

Hey guys, I actually did a pretty large scale project with my premed advisor at my institution in which we surveyed all US, Canadian, and Puerto Rican medical schools about their policies and practices toward the LGBT community (i.e. specific LGBT medical school group, support services, partner benefits, courses devoted to LGBT issues, status positive admissions factor, etc)

The survey was made to be used as a resource at my institution for LGBT premeds looking for schools that may be more gay-friendly.

We got about a 50% response rate, and most of the "top 50" med schools responded. If any of your are curious about the results, I might be able to email you the documents. Just PM me or something.

I can tell you that the top LGBT friendly schools are: UPenn, UChicago, Vanderbilt, Duke, Hopkins, and Stanford; but there are many other schools that are very welcoming and open to LGBT students.

The osteopathic schools didnt respond very well to our survey and didnt actually seem to be very forthcoming with information. Canadian schools were excellent, as it is almost a non-issue in Canada and gay marriage is legal. Very little response from Puerto Rico and it wasnt very positive.

Lol... it took a WHOLE year before anyone responded to this thread, and now 5 years later, it takes off... hmmmm...

Do you think I'm more likely to be accepted if I "came out" during an interview?

Lol... it took a WHOLE year before anyone responded to this thread, and now 5 years later, it takes off... hmmmm...

Do you think I'm more likely to be accepted if I "came out" during an interview?

Doubt it. If it's not germane to an experience (e.g., "I worked with AIDS patients because I felt an obligation to my community blahblahblah"), you'll come across as the newly-hatched baby gay who feels the need to come out to everything with a pulse. To an interviewer who's gay or an ally, this will look immature - to one who's not, it'll be a subjective strike against you. Either way, lose-lose.

It might seem a little cowardly for me to advise you to "pass" in this situation, but here's the deal - you want your interview to be all about what an awesome doctor you'll make and what a great fit you'll be for the school. If you bring up sexual orientation, you'll be running the risk of becoming "that gay kid I interviewed" if the interviewer locks onto that fact. There's plenty of time to be out and proud after the interview, but during, it's best to keep things that might be strikes against you close to your chest.

Now, this doesn't mean that I think you should puff out your chest and try to act straight, either. Be yourself, even if your typical mannerisms are gayer than a picnic in bonny springtime. Just don't go out of your way to mention things that aren't really relevant. You may be assumed straight, but better that than the scenario described above.

Last edited:
Doubt it. If it's not germane to an experience (e.g., "I worked with AIDS patients because I felt an obligation to my community blahblahblah"), you'll come across as the newly-hatched baby gay who feels the need to come out to everything with a pulse. To an interviewer who's gay or an ally, this will look immature - to one who's not, it'll be a subjective strike against you. Either way, lose-lose.

It might seem a little cowardly for me to advise you to "pass" in this situation, but here's the deal - you want your interview to be all about what an awesome doctor you'll make and what a great fit you'll be for the school. If you bring up sexual orientation, you'll be running the risk of becoming "that gay kid I interviewed" if the interviewer locks onto that fact. There's plenty of time to be out and proud after the interview, but during, it's best to keep things that might be strikes against you close to your chest.

Now, this doesn't mean that I think you should puff out your chest and try to act straight, either. Be yourself, even if your typical mannerisms are gayer than a picnic in bonny springtime. Just don't go out of your way to mention things that aren't really relevant. You may be assumed straight, but better that than the scenario described above.

I somewhat disagree with this. Some schools even specifically send out flyers to students letting them know that the interview room is a safe place to talk about your sexuality (Stanford comes to mind). I never really mentioned it unless an interviewer asked something about my application...like....oh, I was a LGBQT society leader? Hmmm....why would I do that? LOL.

I talked about it in some diversity essays...mainly mentioning all the work I've done with patients who were gay and how I can uniquely relate to them being as I put it "also a member of that community" and contribute to discussions on these issues at a medical students. Believe me, though, there is no dearth in gay medical school applicants. Maybe a dearth in out ones though.

Last edited:

Last edited:
What if I started a thread about the exclusive experiences of white, heterosexual pre-meds?

You mean you want to start a thread about living in normal society?

Yea, sure...there's already a support group for that: it's called life in America.

Totally support the LGBT stuff - there's definitely a lot of discrimination still in the medical (and all other) professions. It's not out in the open anymore, making it just much more insidious.

One thing that I do find amusing is that in my biochem class, when my professor says phagocytes, he pronounces it "***ocytes".
Not to detract from this lovely discussion (I am also a "member of that community"), but "***ocyte" IS how you pronounce it. See pronunciation at http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/phagocyte

It's also how everyone says it where I work (in an immunology lab). :)