Gay Pre-Med Students - UNITE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes I will delete the evidence your post to avoid turning this into a can of worms. I will agree that researching into the topic is good. However making derogatory and horrible claims in the name of science is what makes so many people believe scientists are Nazi's.
Your claims did not make sense in light of much scientific development. Your claims also were heavy in logical mishaps primarily because of the fact that sexuality is something that is beyond complexity and is the reason for our whole biological drive. So to use simple Mendelian genetics to attempt to explain it was logically flawed. Following that you had other logical failures primarily in the failure of observing other mammals exhibiting homosexuality as well. I mean I can not personally go into this topic because there are PhD's in neuroscience who can not tell you the answer. So what I'm saying is you made more outrageous claims rather then hypothesis.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
nice one serenade.

All the eloquent posts have already been written.

All id say is i think some people in here are looking too eagerly to find problems with a gathering that discusses gay issues. It is harmless, its been said multiple times in this thread its an alliance welcoming gays and straights alike.

Lets take the opposite solution then, and say, gay people should not be allowed to create gatherings, and be forced to live a life like every other straight man, i think in the times were in now its quite clear that there will be some hardships that they would encounter that a straight man would not, and meeting up and talking about overcoming these problems, is an intelligent and healthy response to improving circumstances.

edit: i think you should keep your quotation in as it is quite enjoyable to see ignorance beeing bashed so utterly by knowledge.

Haha did someone just say that the Y chromosome isn't active in 'gays'?

Bio 101 Fail.

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way I am just curious on this one. How did you manage to pass biology without understanding why humans are female by default. :laugh:

Because that's a subjective way of looking at it. I do not see XX's or X0 as being default, but rather statistically in line.

Well, that's a bit simplistic. Clearly around ~48% of time, the process doesn't result in female offspring, so it's not much of a 'default'.

Nobody made that claim. I made an hypothesis that one of the proteins responsible for regulating human sexual response in males is suppressed. And I made specific claims claiming that that particular protein directly acts on a protein on x chromosome which ultimately is responsible signal transduction.

Which protein?

nice one serenade.

All the eloquent posts have already been written.

All id say is i think some people in here are looking too eagerly to find problems with a gathering that discusses gay issues. It is harmless, its been said multiple times in this thread its an alliance welcoming gays and straights alike.

Lets take the opposite solution then, and say, gay people should not be allowed to create gatherings, and be forced to live a life like every other straight man, i think in the times were in now its quite clear that there will be some hardships that they would encounter that a straight man would not, and meeting up and talking about overcoming these problems, is an intelligent and healthy response to improving circumstances.

edit: i think you should keep your quotation in as it is quite enjoyable to see ignorance beeing bashed so utterly by knowledge.

I swear that post made me slightly crazy. It was just.. so much fail in one place at one time. It reminded me of Donny Darko which was too much crazy in one place at one time :laugh:.

It is not going to be one gene. For example, for every older brother you have (biological, not adopted), you increase your chance of being gay by a double digit factor. Thus cannot be [solely] genetic - there must be some other components in terms of gene/hormone interaction or something else.

Gay gene belief huh?!?!? Why would evolution work to create a gay gene which results in 0 fitness?

Actually, it might be beneficial at a species/community level, if not at the level of the individual (e.g, bonding, etc). It could also be linked to gene(s) that provide some other benefit (for example, like the classic malaria - sickle cell case). Also, some people are bisexual, which would not necessarily affect their ability to create offspring.

It is not going to be one gene. For example, for every older brother you have (biological, not adopted), you increase your chance of being gay by a double digit factor. Thus cannot be [solely] genetic - there must be some other components in terms of gene/hormone interaction or something else.

And that forms a class of popular theories of which make sense ( developmental biology does play a role in this though identical twins do boast a 59% chance of being gay if the other is gay). Also when I look at theories like this they get complicated in the whole subjectivity of the matter. Then add bi-sexuality into the soup and you reach the point where you start thinking sexuality isn't something you want to study.

Then you add in bisexuality.. and comparing it to sickle cell heterozygous state is interesting. As heterozygous have the higher survival rate ( heterozygous advantage).

All wrong. If there was a gay gene, it would be hereditary.

Yes, Einstein, I understand that a gene is hereditary.

However, that's not how development works. There are processes which decide what gets expressed and what doesn't. Just because you have a gene, doesn't mean it will be expressed fully, or that another gene(s)/conditions won't be there to counteract it.

Members don't see this ad :)
All wrong. If there was a gay gene, it would be hereditary. Moreover, all gays claim to be gay from birth. So error probably happens while they are developing in womb.

Support this claim. Again you use mean words. Please do not refer to people as errors.
Bi-sexuality could be a heterozygous advantage. Thus meaning that bisexuals have higher fitness making the straights and gays both constant in existence.

Anyways I'm going to bed. Please refrain from being too much of a douchebag.

Yes, Einstein, I understand that a gene is hereditary.

However, that's not how development works. There are processes which decide what gets expressed and what doesn't. Just because you have a gene, doesn't mean it will be expressed fully, or that another gene(s)/conditions won't be there to counteract it.

And that's what we call a carrier.

There is NO evolutionary advantage of being gay. There is NO such thing as heterozygous advantage for bisexual. There is NO gay gene. And NO it is not suppressed in most people. STOP making BS up.

Support this claim! Honestly unless you can bring data to support this with proper statistics and a high confidence interval. Then all you're doing is moving your mouth or in this case your hands. So please either come with data or stfu. Because honestly you're contradicting hundreads of scientists whom have PhD's in molecular biology, neuroscience and psychology.

Dude man there is nothing to prove. It is using common sense. There is no such thing as community advantage **** you were making up.
And there this argument ends. Thankfully, science doesn't go by your definition of common sense - read the article I posted or others like it if you feel like peeking out of your ignorance. Good night.

Thanks for cheering me up, guys.

I was feeling guilty about procrastinating on studying for my medical genetics course, but seeing how utterly clueless some of you are, I suddenly feel a lot better :laugh:

what the f*#@ are you all afraid of? why is this even an argument? how can anyone be against a group (discriminated against the way the gays are) gathering in the name of "please stop discriminating against us?"

All you ignorant people should really just ask yourselves- why are you, if you are as smart as you think you are, still letting the disgustingly prejudice teachings of the christian religion, or any religion for that matter, dictate the way you perceive this situation.

If I heard one dumb ass get on here, having an introspective nature enough to admit he is completely controlled by his religion, and proceed to state that he is not against homosexuality, but rather sexual promiscuity (because that seems to be the logical basis for all the catholic [the original christian] teachings ), then we might have a real argument going here. But until then STFU

Think for your selves you jackasses.

There is no such thing as community advantage **** you were making up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_selection

Please see:
http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100709/full/news.2010.344.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/magazine/04animals-t.html
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v445/n7124/full/445158b.html

There is NO evolutionary advantage of being gay. There is NO such thing as heterozygous advantage for bisexual. There is NO gay gene. And NO it is not suppressed in most people. STOP making BS up.
I don't really want to comment on the topic itself, but I must say that I think your attitude as a scientist is terrible. Audacious, unsupported claims = :(

no offense (I have tons of gay friends) but... why do you need to be so "loud" about whether you prefer penis or vagina?

it's just sickening

What would you think if a straight man comes at you yelling, "I am straight and I love women. Give me lots of it"
It's the same ****.

Those "gay friends" of yours should get rid of you.

i apparently wrote in this thread a year ago..i'm bisexual and half-way out of the closet, hello to everyone else....:confused:

Question about the gay gene topic: What about twins (identical, not fraternal), where one of them is gay and the other isn't, when both are supposed to have identical genes?

Just saw a documentary on this, I guess I'm just curious.

God this thread is soooooo ga-.....

That was a close one

Question about the gay gene topic: What about twins (identical, not fraternal), where one of them is gay and the other isn't, when both are supposed to have identical genes?

Just saw a documentary on this, I guess I'm just curious.

I have not seen the documentary, nor do I know the specifics... but in general attributes than are supposedly inherited but that are not conserved between monozygotic twins are thought to be due to epigenetics.

I'm assuming that a lot of you guys will go into urology? Maybe GI docs for the annual colonoscopies?

I'm assuming that a lot of you guys will go into urology? Maybe GI docs for the annual colonoscopies?

Right, because straight dudes and lesbians totally go into ob/gyn for the vaginas. :lame:

^ I've always kind of wondered what does draw males to gyn. I'm not joking either, I get the appeal for women - you get to deal with lots of womens health issues and maybe your passionate about that sort of thing - but I guess I just don't see why a man would want to go into that. I mean nothing against them, I'm just curious.

^ Thanks, sorry to hijack the thread. Ok everyone now you can get back to arguing over .....over....... I have no idea.

^ I've always kind of wondered what does draw males to gyn. I'm not joking either, I get the appeal for women - you get to deal with lots of womens health issues and maybe your passionate about that sort of thing - but I guess I just don't see why a man would want to go into that. I mean nothing against them, I'm just curious.

I don't see why anyone would want to go into pediatrics, but people find different areas of medicine rewarding I guess.

Oh and gays :thumbup:. To keepz on topicz.

Hi :)
Gay male, out of the closet and married :D Cheers! Unite!

Wow, for years great people fought against the "separate but equal" lie of segregation. Diversity isn't about self-segregation. Join the rest of humanity instead of stri"ating yourselves ad society.

Self-segregation is just segregation played in the other direction. Too bad we can't just be identified as good individuals and let sexuality, no matter where it falls, just be another aspect of our person and not be a tool used for the separation from everyone else.

That's an opinion that comes from someone who's never been discriminated against. Following your argument, lets also abolish sports clubs and interest clubs in general. Why do they need to have a separate club? We should unite our humanity and just join one "CLUB."

What's a vagina?

first time i saw a vagina irl was on the anatomy cadaver i'm currently dissecting

i didn't want it to be like this, so i kept asking my female friends if i could look at theirs before i moved away to med school, but they all said no :rolleyes:

but yeah. vags are nasty and i would never go into obgyn for a multitude of reasons, including that. and bigoted *******s like Mcatz1188 are the reason i won't be going into Urology either, even though it's one of the specialties I'm genuinely interested in

but yeah. vags are nasty and i would never go into obgyn for a multitude of reasons, including that. and bigoted *******s like Mcatz1188 are the reason i won't be going into Urology either, even though it's one of the specialties I'm genuinely interested in

Do it anyway if it interests you. Patients who go to you will know you didn't specialize for a penis fetish, just like they know their podiatrist isn't there to fulfill a foot fetish.

Hey kids. Wanted to pop in. Gay man and out, and in my last year. Soon to hit the residency interview trail for ... OBGYN.

Yes, I did it because I like to operate as well as manage some outpatient issues (probably going into Onc). It's a field that's very accepting of the "teh gayz" because it's filled with mostly progressive folks (also a plus). Finally, the line I always use is - it's VERY easy to separate work from pleasure.

Suncrusher, I was strongly considering Urology. It is indeed one the last bastions of "old boys clubs" -even moreso than ortho - but getting better. It's a great field with neat surgeries, and I wouldn't let that stop you. Just don't come to Penn for a rotation - it's a bit of a homophobic frat in the urology dept. Other programs are great and accepting though.

Don't know if it had come up, but don't worry at all about the pedophilia thing and peds and being LGBT. Second to psych, it's actually one of the more gay friendly, and popular professions for gay men.

Also, as for outness, I wasn't out on my MD application - I wasn't very out in undergrad so didn't really have anything that outed me on my CV. I'm VERY out on my CV now. Regardless, I don't have a boyfriend or partner, so it probably won't come up in interviews, and no one in a med school or residency interviews would or should ask you about your sexuality.

Finally, mark your calendars for the 3rd annual LGBT medical student conference in Chicago, April 20-22 2012. I went to last year's here in Philly and it was great. You can start checking the GLMA website for details later.

I'd be happy to help with any questions you may have about sexuality issues and the application process, or med school in general.

Last edited:
I feel that most of the people who comment negatively on here are just jealous that they don't have a real diversity issue to mention in their secondaries. Any commitment they claim to have towards encouraging it though is a complete lie if they are going to come on here and troll.

I can't wait for the day we are actually considered URM.

Hey kids. Wanted to pop in. Gay man and out, and in my last year. Soon to hit the residency interview trail for ... OBGYN.

Yes, I did it because I like to operate as well as manage some outpatient issues (probably going into Onc). It's a field that's very accepting of the "teh gayz" because it's filled with mostly progressive folks (also a plus). Finally, the line I always use is - it's VERY easy to separate work from pleasure.

Suncrusher, I was strongly considering Urology. It is indeed one the last bastions of "old boys clubs" -even moreso than ortho - but getting better. It's a great field with neat surgeries, and I wouldn't let that stop you. Just don't come to Penn for a rotation - it's a bit of a homophobic frat in the urology dept. Other programs are great and accepting though.

Don't know if it had come up, but don't worry at all about the pedophilia thing and peds and being LGBT. Second to psych, it's actually one of the more gay friendly, and popular professions for gay men.

Also, as for outness, I wasn't out on my MD application - I wasn't very out in undergrad so didn't really have anything that outed me on my CV. I'm VERY out on my CV now. Regardless, I don't have a boyfriend or partner, so it probably won't come up in interviews, and no one in a med school or residency interviews would or should ask you about your sexuality.

Finally, mark your calendars for the 3rd annual LGBT medical student conference in Chicago, April 20-22 2012. I went to last year's here in Philly and it was great. You can start checking the GLMA website for details later.

I'd be happy to help with any questions you may have about sexuality issues and the application process, or med school in general.

How LGBT friendly is UPENN? According to campus pride, they are ranked 5 star for LGBT support and community achieves. UPENN is outta my reach but I'd love to go if given the chance :)

Great post HumbleMD. Can you expand on how you're "very out" on your CV and the reactions people have had to it, if any?

Also, how "out" were you to your fellow students and on clinical rotations? Did you ever have any problems with anyone because of it? If you were single during this time I guess the subject probably wouldn't come up much anyway.

How LGBT friendly is UPENN? According to campus pride, they are ranked 5 star for LGBT support and community achieves. UPENN is outta my reach but I'd love to go if given the chance :)

The gay population at Penn is like a school sponsored cult. They love gays there. The only problem I've had with it (I didn't go there, just know a lot of them) is that it's run by a few queens and if you don't "fall in line" they will make it hell for you.