Gay Pre-Med Students - UNITE!

Started by iambatman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The gay population at Penn is like a school sponsored cult. They love gays there. The only problem I've had with it (I didn't go there, just know a lot of them) is that it's run by a few queens and if you don't "fall in line" they will make it hell for you.

What do you mean by "fall in line"?

And does this happen with a lot of gay organizations? That might not seem so inviting 🙁
 
Not sure what the rules are here..... So I'm not going to put my individual view on homosexuality..... (Fear of being banned)

Either way. What does being gay and being pre med have to do with anything? This is about as legitimate as someone who starts the "Pre-meds who Love Boobies" thread.....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure what the rules are here..... So I'm not going to put my individual view on homosexuality..... (Fear of being banned)

Either way. What does being gay and being pre med have to do with anything? This is about as legitimate as someone who starts the "Pre-meds who Love Boobies" thread.....

People with views of homosexuality like yours are not rare in medicine, so sometimes gay pre-meds/med students may wonder how open to be about their personal life with other students and instructors, as well as relevant work with the GLBT population. I don't think it's an unreasonable topic.
 
People with views of homosexuality like yours are not rare in medicine, so sometimes gay pre-meds/med students may wonder how open to be about their personal life with other students and instructors, as well as relevant work with the GLBT population. I don't think it's an unreasonable topic.

How about you put more focus on studying and being a good doctor, and less focus on how to display your sexual preferences in medical school.
 
How about you put more focus on studying and being a good doctor, and less focus on how to display your sexual preferences in medical school.

Don't worry, I'm not doing the latter at the expense of the former. I appreciate your concern, though.
 
You guys need more women in your life (good, mature women).
😕
I'm going into OBGYN. I think I'll be set.

The graduate versus undergraduate communities are very different at Penn. Correct, the undergrad is kind of drama city, but the graduate community is less tightly knit, but certainly more chill. Penn as a whole has a great LGBT center (oldest in the nation!) run by Bob Schoenberg who is great. They support a lot of programming and social things for gay grad students.

Now, as for LGBT support in med school, it definitely varies by school. Penn is head and shoulders above most (has a lecture on LGBT health, supports our group). We are, however, not identified as a "minority," and there could always be more done. When shopping around for med schools, usually there will be some mention on a handout for diversity, or student groups. Visibility is a proxy for a friendlier environment, so look for a mention of it somewhere. If you can't find anything, that might be a bad sign.

Ever since I came to med school, I've been out to my class. I chaired the LGBT med student group, so I was somewhat tokenized (ie every time there was a mention of gays or something in class, people would look at me), but I've never dealt with anyone being intolerant. It's just no acceptable in medicine these days.

On clerkships and rotations, my motto was that I would never lie about being a gay man. But in all honesty your personal life will so rarely come up with your residents or attendings, that few knew. I'm sure fewer cared. When asked if I had a girlfriend, I'd simply reply "no" - I didn't have a boyfriend at the time, so there was no explanation necessary.

It is important to find a school that has a student's back in general, or especially if homophobic concerns come up. I never had any issues, but if I did, I always knew that the administration at Penn would back me up. An older friend of mine had an issue with a team during a surgery rotation and they helped him switch teams and didn't allow the former team to evaluate him at all.
 
^^^ Thanks for the info 👍👍👍

Best of luck with your interviews!
 
Not sure what the rules are here..... So I'm not going to put my individual view on homosexuality..... (Fear of being banned)

Either way. What does being gay and being pre med have to do with anything? This is about as legitimate as someone who starts the "Pre-meds who Love Boobies" thread.....

How about you put more focus on studying and being a good doctor, and less focus on how to display your sexual preferences in medical school.

Remember how you were taught if you don't have anything nice to say, don't? Why would you even come on a post to comment?

The concerns of sexual minority medical students are as legitimate as say, a non-traditional applicant who is concerned that people like them will be welcome at a given medical school.

Everyone "displays" their sexuality - a straight couple walking hand in hand is "outing" themselves as straight, as does a doctor with pictures of their spouse in their office.

Finally, homophobia, like racism, is just not acceptable in modern medicine. Checkout the AMA website for their stances on different issues (including gay marriage). And heed my words you will have lesbian, gay, and bisexual patients, and you will be expected to serve them with the same compassionate care you give all of your patients.
 
Remember how you were taught if you don't have anything nice to say, don't? Why would you even come on a post to comment?

The concerns of sexual minority medical students are as legitimate as say, a non-traditional applicant who is concerned that people like them will be welcome at a given medical school.

Everyone "displays" their sexuality - a straight couple walking hand in hand is "outing" themselves as straight, as does a doctor with pictures of their spouse in their office.

Finally, homophobia, like racism, is just not acceptable in modern medicine. Checkout the AMA website for their stances on different issues (including gay marriage). And heed my words you will have lesbian, gay, and bisexual patients, and you will be expected to serve them with the same compassionate care you give all of your patients.


No one is being homophobic. I need to read the rules here first before arguing any further.

Could someone direct me? I did ctrl+f on the first page and searched already.
 
Last edited:
No one is being homophobic. I need to read the rules here first before arguing any further.

Iceman, I saw your previous post before you deleted it, and I would certainly characterize those views as homophobic. That said, regardless of the forum rules, no one really cares about your personal views here. Welcome to SDN. :hello:
 
Iceman, I saw your previous post before you deleted it, and I would certainly characterize those views as homophobic. That said, regardless of the forum rules, no one really cares about your personal views here. Welcome to SDN. :hello:

How were my views homophobic? I have no fear of it, I just know THE ACTS are wrong. Just like I premarital sex or masturbation is wrong .... through reason.

Again, I need some rules if someone could provide.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How were my views homophobic? I have no fear of it, I just know THE ACTS are wrong. Just like I think premarital sex or masturbation is wrong .... through reason.

Again, I need some rules if someone could provide.


Uhuh....
you're going to be a horrible doctor :laugh:.
 
How were my views homophobic? I have no fear of it, I just know THE ACTS are wrong. Just like I think premarital sex or masturbation is wrong .... through reason.

Again, I need some rules if someone could provide.

This thread has some good information for gay pre-meds and has the potential to be a good resource in the future as well. Lowering the level of discourse to discussing the ethics of masturbation really doesn't have any place in this thread and only disrupts what can be a helpful thread for some. If you really want to discuss these topics, try the sociopolitical forum in the lounge -- I'm sure they will be happy to entertain your ideas.
 
There's no point trying to change anyone's mind on their personal moral code. So let's just drop it. We're also not going to change his mind either, so don't all jump on Iceman.

Let me use a different example. Iceman, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you are pro-life? This is a minority position at a lot of medical schools. I imagine you might feel the need to ask around to see which medical programs are more accepting of your personal belief? Or maybe ones that have a pro-life club? I've even seen threads on it here on SDN.
 
What do you mean by "fall in line"?

And does this happen with a lot of gay organizations? That might not seem so inviting 🙁

I was being overly dramatic. There is a post further down that says it more succinctly. What I mean is that the gay life at Penn is very centered around just a few people who like to have a hand in everything gay that goes on there. If they don't like you there are rumors spread, they will ignore you, make you feel unwelcome. They actually started a rumor about one of the kids I volunteer with saying he used to be a hustler.

But the gay grad students there I know aren't involved in this for the most part. I just know that Penn is very supportive of the LGBT community.
 
This thread has some good information for gay pre-meds and has the potential to be a good resource in the future as well. Lowering the level of discourse to discussing the ethics of masturbation really doesn't have any place in this thread and only disrupts what can be a helpful thread for some. If you really want to discuss these topics, try the sociopolitical forum in the lounge -- I'm sure they will be happy to entertain your ideas.

When you make a thread like this you have to expect some sort of backlash. People will give their 2 cents on a public forum. All I am doing is giving my personal opinion.... I respect yours and hopefully you will respect mine.

There's no point trying to change anyone's mind on their personal moral code. So let's just drop it. We're also not going to change his mind either, so don't all jump on Iceman.

Let me use a different example. Iceman, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you are pro-life? This is a minority position at a lot of medical schools. I imagine you might feel the need to ask around to see which medical programs are more accepting of your personal belief? Or maybe ones that have a pro-life club? I've even seen threads on it here on SDN.

I think that you can change a person's mind if both people are open to logic. If the people here have a good enough explanation or reasoning I may change my mind on how the ACTS of homosexuality are valid.

Yes, I am pro-life. I may have to check some of these threads out. Thank you.

Do you wear glasses?
Nope, 20/20 last time I checked.
 
Yes, I am pro-life. I may have to check some of these threads out. Thank you.

This was HumbleMD's point; I'm sure all the pro-life people on SDN would enjoy being able to discuss their specific concerns w/r/t medical schools without having the "abortion debate" blowing up on every page of it. It detracts from the purpose of the thread.
 
This was HumbleMD's point; I'm sure all the pro-life people on SDN would enjoy being able to discuss their specific concerns w/r/t medical schools without having the "abortion debate" blowing up on every page of it.

I would welcome this type of debate ... But I see your point and I will bow out since I don't want to seem like a troll. (I saw some debate going on so I wasn't sre)
 
I think that you can change a person's mind if both people are open to logic. If the people here have a good enough explanation or reasoning I may change my mind on how the ACTS of homosexuality are valid.

This is a thread for networking and advice among LGBT applicants. The point is not to debate the "validity" of homosexuality.

Regardless, the debate is irrelevant anyways. No one on an internet forum is going to have a civil and adult discussion about this. The point is, in medicine, and the world, there is a diversity of views. You will be working with people with different religions, races, sexes, and sexual identities. As a physician, your views on them are irrelevant. You just serve your pateint and address their medical needs.
 
How were my views homophobic? I have no fear of it, I just know THE ACTS are wrong. Just like I premarital sex or masturbation is wrong .... through reason.

Again, I need some rules if someone could provide.

Being a doctor for you is going to be really hard unless you decide to limit yourself to a few choice states and even fewer patients (nuns and some priests). You will have gay patients who aren't going to tolerate your judgment. You also are going to have patients who have premarital sex and masturbate. They really won't like it when you tell them they shouldn't do that.
 
Being a doctor for you is going to be really hard unless you decide to limit yourself to a few choice states and even fewer patients (nuns and some priests). You will have gay patients who aren't going to tolerate your judgment. You also are going to have patients who have premarital sex and masturbate. They really won't like it when you tell them they shouldn't do that.

Being a doctor means you have to be a moral coach? I've never ONCE talked about my sexuality to ANY doctor of mine.
 
Being a doctor means you have to be a moral coach? I've never ONCE talked about my sexuality to ANY doctor of mine.

That's because heterosexuality is assumed. I've never come out to my doctor nor do I see any reason to, but there are health concerns that can present that will give a patients sexual orientation away. If it ever does I have no desire for the doctor to do a double take or lecture me that, while homosexuality is forgivable, having sex with men is a unnatural.

If you meant never talked to him about sex/masturbation that is just strange. It's something every GP asks their patients at a certain age.

As for your other post. There really is no way to prove the naturalness of an act. I'm a natural being and the people I have sex with are natural beings. Also in nature other species engage in the acts you speak of (even homosexuality). Would this be natural?

If you are using the bible as your basis for argument that these acts aren't natural there really can't be a debate then.
 
Being a doctor means you have to be a moral coach? I've never ONCE talked about my sexuality to ANY doctor of mine.

No one said doctors need to be life coaches and judge your behaviors in a pseudo-objective light. However, different groups have different medical needs, your medical needs as a 18-22 year old are a lot different than the medical needs of a middle aged person in many regards. So having your doctor know details about your personal life is important...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks to both humble and others who chimed in about the LGBT community at Penn.

I prefer a community with people who are laid back and just enjoy life. I don't like the "queens" or "Heathers" and those who associate themselves with these groups because all they bring in is drama. So I stay away from them.

Iceman, your ignorance is blinding.

People always asks me why is there a need for gay pride festival/ parade, and why isn't there a "straight" parade, I always tell them unless you lose your basic rights because of your sexuality/ orientation, bullied/ killed because of who you are, being told you that your existence is a sin, being seen as unequal, than you can have a parade.

I lived through/ seen all these hate being implement on my community and I will not stand back and act as if "I'm the same" as everyone else because I'm not. I'm proud to be gay.
 
No one said doctors need to be life coaches and argue about your behaviors. However, different groups have different medical needs, your medical needs as a 18-22 year old is a lot different than the medical needs of a middle aged person in many regards. So having your doctor know details about your personal life is important...

And i I know these details I would give a homosexual worse treatment than a heterosexual? What kind of ridiculous logic is that?

I think the ACTS of homosexuality are wrong. That does not mean I think the person should be treated as a lesser human being.

I would give the same treatment to a rapist, drug dealer, mass murderer as I would a boy scout. I don't understand the logic here.
 
And i I know these details I would give a homosexual worse treatment than a heterosexual? What kind of ridiculous logic is that?

I think the ACTS of homosexuality are wrong. That does not mean I think the person should be treated as a lesser human being.

I would give the same treatment to a rapist, drug dealer, mass murderer as I would a boy scout. I don't understand the logic here.

Your premise of not judging others and giving equal treatment is all that we ask for, that and respect. But god, your supporting argument tells me that you have no intention of doing this and really have a bad opinion of gays.
 
Kids, take it outside, or at least to a different thread. This has nothing to do with LGBT students applying to allopathic medical schools and the questions/concerns they may have.
 
Oh god, I just can't help myself.... Iceman you don't seem to be going away, so maybe your opinion on the following will illustrate how your views are unnecessarily judgmental against gay people.

Iceman: Is it better for a gay man to be a lifelong celibate or to marry a woman? Which would you recommend to me, as a gay man?
 
Kids, take it outside, or at least to a different thread. This has nothing to do with LGBT students applying to allopathic medical schools and the questions/concerns they may have.

Agreed, It is my fault for thinking this was a discussion.

If anyone would like to debate at all feel free to pm me.
 
Oh god, I just can't help myself.... Iceman you don't seem to be going away, so maybe your opinion on the following will illustrate how your views are unnecessarily judgmental against gay people.

Iceman: Is it better for a gay man to be a lifelong celibate or to marry a woman? Which would you recommend to me, as a gay man?

Feel free to PM me if you would like to continue this. I really wouldn't mind.
 
Does anyone know of any schools that are not friendly or inviting to members of the LGBT community?
 
Does anyone know of any schools that are not friendly or inviting to members of the LGBT community?

SGU, ROSS........, Linda Loma.... :meanie:

But yah, what many people don't realize is that there are buggery laws ( Punish homosexual behaviors) in a lot of the Carib islands.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://www.campusclimateindex.org/search/default.aspx

This site give you rating of schools that are LGBT-friendly including med school 🙂 Surprisingly a lot of the schools in the south, well the big name ones are rather friendly 😀

The schools may be but I think the towns would be different stories.

Is the gay friendliness of the city important for you? I really wouldn't want to end up anyway without a "gayborhood"
 
My husband's brother goes to Emory and he loves it! 😀 He said it was really surprising to find a school down south that was supportive of LGBT.

Another school (not in the south) Pritzker I believe is very supportive too. They have a page on about diversity etc. You may want to ask someone who goes there.

You can't go wrong with places like New York.