gay rights

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d-reezy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a straight man who worked for a gay rights organization during a summer. it was definitely a meaningful experience but i am concerned about including it in my application since it can be a touchy subject and might draw negative attention from some adcoms. what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

negative attention

I wouldn't usually recommend advertising one's sexual preference in the EC :oops: but in this case, I think that it might be prudent. After you list the organization, contact person, etc. you can write in the text section that although you are not gay that this experience gave you insights into the situation of this minority group. There is some interesting literature about issues that gay patients have with insensitive health care providers. You can be sensitive to their issues even if you aren't gay yourself. I'd spin it that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also worked for a gay organization, but the name didn't imply homosexuality at all. I somehow managed to keep sexuality out of the description, never having to mention I was the only hetero in the office. I'd say keep it under wraps if you can, then broadcast it AFTER you get in.

A little off-topic... Did anyone hear this NPR story about this relatively secret group of homosexual (and hetero, actually) physchiatrists who worked to get homosexuality out of the DSM? It was by the daughter of one the physicians. It was really interesting.

-X

d-reezy said:
i am a straight man who worked for a gay rights organization during a summer. it was definitely a meaningful experience but i am concerned about including it in my application since it can be a touchy subject and might draw negative attention from some adcoms. what do you think?

d-reezy said:

Lets face it, with the exception of the show "Will and Grace" homosexuals do not have the most positive image in America. One reason might be that homosexual males are the #1 contributer to HIV. I am by no means suggesting my point of view here; that's merely a statistic I learned in a sociology. It was not meant to insult anyone's sexuality. That being said, regardless of how I feel, someone who is interviewing you could be homophobic. I know many people that feel that way and I would not take the chance of putting something on my application that could rub someone the wrong way. Does that make since? It's a gamble no mater how you look at it.

I completely and utterly disagree with the other posters on this thread. By all means, talk about your work with this gay rights organization. ADCOM's are looking for something that distinguishes applicants. If you want to look like every other cookie cutter pre-med applying to top programs, then by all means omit your experience working for this organization from your application. If you, however, want something that sets you apart and shows your dedication to equal treatment of all persons (and all future patients), then include it.

I did a great deal of work with gay rights groups at my school and in Houston. Many of my interviewers (even at some of the conservative schools) discussed my work with these groups and were very impressed with my willingness to take a stand on those issues in the interview room (even if they may have disagreed with my positions). While homophobia does exist at many schools and this may hinder your acceptance at some places like NYMC or RF, I can assure you that the top programs (HMS, JHU, WashU, Penn, Stanford, UCSF, etc.) will look favorably upon your work.

Just my opinion...

i think i would be more upset with myself if i didn't mention it than if i did. even if it does isolate me from a few people, i think it's more important that i represent my social conscience as fully as i can. besides, most of the schools i'm applying to are in blue states so the odds are in my favor. it's more of a question now of whether i should sneak in a line somehwere saying "although i am not gay....." to prevent any preconceived notions about my sexuality.

d-reezy said:
i think i would be more upset with myself if i didn't mention it than if i did. even if it does isolate me from a few people, i think it's more important that i represent my social conscience as fully as i can. besides, most of the schools i'm applying to are in blue states so the odds are in my favor. it's more of a question now of whether i should sneak in a line somehwere saying "although i am not gay....." to prevent any preconceived notions about my sexuality.

Sure, you can say that if you'd like... just make sure it doesn't seem like you're trying to distance yourself too much from your work. If you can show them through your word choice and tone that striving for equality for all sexual minorities is something about which you believe strongly, they will definitely appreciate it and it will greatly enhance your application.

LSU-Tech said:
Lets face it, with the exception of the show "Will and Grace" homosexuals do not have the most positive image in America. One reason might be that homosexual males are the #1 contributer to HIV. I am by no means suggesting my point of view here; that's merely a statistic I learned in a sociology. It was not meant to insult anyone's sexuality. That being said, regardless of how I feel, someone who is interviewing you could be homophobic. I know many people that feel that way and I would not take the chance of putting something on my application that could rub someone the wrong way. Does that make since? It's a gamble no mater how you look at it.

As a gay man, I couldn't let this one pass - gay men are the "#1 contributer to HIV??" I am not sure where this nonsense figure came from, but I should hope that if the poster is to be a physician some day that s/he learns better critical thinking skills, and learns to separate propaganda from fact. The fact of the matter is that the #1 "contributer" to HIV could be argued to be many things - poverty, low income, religious intolerance to condom use, lack of education, poor access to health care... the list goes on and on, but gay men are the #1 SUCCESS story when it comes to reduction of HIV transmission.

Continuing to use HIV as a means of discriminating against gay men is nothing more than a clever ploy designed to avoid the true cause of discrimination - irrational prejudices. The poster can not shield him/herself by stating that "I don't think it is true, but others think..." Sorry. Either stand up for what you believe, or sit down and shut up, but don't step up to the table of discussion with a bag full of other peoples opinions.

I'm not to a point where I"ve had personal experience applying for med school, but this is my personal philosophy: choose a side, for heaven's sakes. You will sometimes be wrong, you will sometimes be right, but fence-sitters and eggshell walkers are ALWAYS wrong.

If you believe in the work you did, are proud of it, broadcast it! Sometimes adcoms might disagree with you, be a little homophobic, but more likely they will be impressed that you are willing to be outspoken about such a touchy issue.

Also...if you want to hold any respect you might gain from disclosing this, do not, under any circumstances, use the phrase "although I'm not gay." That's sure to lose you serious points and it completely demolishes your credibility...makes you look like someone who talks behind others' backs. If you really feel it's necessary to assure them you're not a homosexual, there are much more tactful ways to go about it. ("Working for such and such organization was a valuable experience because it gave me an insider's view to a culture different from my own")

Just my humble (if somewhat loudmouthed) opinion.

Flopotomist said:
As a gay man, I couldn't let this one pass - gay men are the "#1 contributer to HIV??" I am not sure where this nonsense figure came from, but I should hope that if the poster is to be a physician some day that s/he learns better critical thinking skills, and learns to separate propaganda from fact. The fact of the matter is that the #1 "contributer" to HIV could be argued to be many things - poverty, low income, religious intolerance to condom use, lack of education, poor access to health care... the list goes on and on, but gay men are the #1 SUCCESS story when it comes to reduction of HIV transmission.

Continuing to use HIV as a means of discriminating against gay men is nothing more than a clever ploy designed to avoid the true cause of discrimination - irrational prejudices. The poster can not shield him/herself by stating that "I don't think it is true, but others think..." Sorry. Either stand up for what you believe, or sit down and shut up, but don't step up to the table of discussion with a bag full of other peoples opinions.

:thumbup: well put!

I can assure you that most physicians (and hence people on admissions committees) are not homophobes.

Anything that you put on your application that distinguishes you from the pack is worthwhile.

Many schools go out of their way to put in a gay people into each class to round out the diversity.

if you think that your work with the gays is moral, then your reluctance to be open about your moral stance is immoral. don't be a wimp, defend what you consider to be right (regardless of whether it actually is or not).

Members don't see this ad :)
Flopotomist said:

Care to explain:"B]gay men are the #1 SUCCESS story when it comes to reduction of HIV transmission[/B]"? Not trying to bash homosexuals, last time I checked, there was a high incidence of HIV/AIDS among gay men.

Well, personally I find gay emotions and behavior immoral (DON'T FLAME ME - I AM NOT INTERESTED IN ANOTHER FLAME WAR), but I think that if you think it's OK, and you apparently do, if you worked for an organization that has that component, then you should stand up for your views, and not be ashamed of what you think. If you really feel that you got a view of a "culture" different from your own, and that you grew from that, then say that, but if you are just trying to say that you are straight so that people won't dislike you, then that's somewhat weak.

Honestly, if a school did not accept me because of something like that, then it would be best I wouldn't go there anyways. On another thread, someone was stated that they didn't know if it would look good if they volunteered at Planned Parenthood and campaigning. Don't change yourself for "them".

If X school rejected you simply because you're pro-gay, would you really want to attend? :confused:

1. flopotomist - if that pic is you, then you are cute.
2. d-reezy: first of all, i applaud you in your work to stand up for other minorities' rights. it's huge. :love:
3. i agree with LizzyM - this would make an excellent PS topic or secondary essay topic. i think it's an amazing trait to have, especially as a physician, to truly want to help people who have problems - and people who are not like you. for real.
good luck :luck:

Flopotomist said:

In the united states and europe gay men have the highest percentage of HIV infection. A simple google search shows this. If you do a search on google and type in "percentage HIV" i believe one of the first few threads that shows up is all about how the high risk behavior has increased from 1998-2003(this is just one study from london) as well has as a slight increase of percentage with HIV. As I am typing this i have my other window opening and i am looking at more stats regarding this matter. I dont understand it though, i have a few gay friends and they all tell me how the gay community seems to be taking better precautions recently. I dunno maybe that will show up in the 2005-2009 study...

To the OP, if you felt you really gained from this experience then put it.

SpeedRacer said:
1. flopotomist - if that pic is you, then you are cute.

yes, flopotomist, you are a cutie...definitely :love:
i agree with speedracer on all counts

grab the interviewer's butt (if he's a guy) when you leave.

My frustration at some of these responses is only mitigated by the flattery from a few posters lol. Do a simple google search on HIV trends of infection, and you will find that in the late 1990's, the overall incidence of new HIV infection among gay men DECREASED while INCREASING for other groups such as women, and heterosexual people of color. I stand by my earlier statements, and here is a link with a little proof. (Hmm.. now there is an interesting word...proof)

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jun98/nci-16.htm

Flopotomist said:
My frustration at some of these responses is only mitigated by the flattery from a few posters lol. Do a simple google search on HIV trends of infection, and you will find that in the late 1990's, the overall incidence of new HIV infection among gay men DECREASED while INCREASING for other groups such as women, and heterosexual people of color. I stand by my earlier statements, and here is a link with a little proof. (Hmm.. now there is an interesting word...proof)

Interesting article, but the study was from 1988 to 1993. Also, anal penetration, sharing needles are the highest risk activites for transmitting AIDS. The highest HIV/AIDS category is currently black homosexuals. But I do agree with you, gays do spread aids, but then again so do heterosexuals.

Flopotomist said:

Amen!!! :thumbup:

d-reezy said:

i have to agree with those on here that said to include it. If your passionate about something and have dedicated your time to, then by all means ad it. I applaud your work! Not many straight men are willing to do those things. My fiance gets sooo creeped out when my best friend Stephen, who is a gay male, comes over. Stephen messes with him by telling him that he has a nice butt...LOLOLOL...cracks me up. OK that was kind of off subject....

Anyways, go for it! best of luck!!!

:)

I thought that the title was "gay-fights" and thought it would be funny to watch..like those streetbum-fights...sorry. ;)

d-reezy said:

Flopotomist said:

Proof? Haha...get with the program. That article simply explains the limitations of various studies without explicity stating any conclusions regarding the point you are trying to "prove." Stop trying to be a victim. No one cares about your sexuality. You guys are so obsessed with the fact that you are gay. To me, it's a preference like any other so I don't dwell on things like that.

Flopotomist said:

Look dude, Thats what my sociology professor said in class. What does she know? She only has a Phd in Sociology. She's only up all night and all day looking at statistics governing society. She only help write the book we used in the class.

Just because the virus decreased in males and increased in females does not mean anything. From what I understand gay males out numbered all groups by a long shot. They are still the leaders.

I mean, where do you get off using a web site as proof. That's not proof. Why do you think most professors do not allow their students to use web sites when they assign research papers? The reason is because half of them are not accurate! Anyone can make a website. If I make one right now that says what I'm telling you is true would you believe me then? At least I have a Phd that agrees with me. What do you got besides dreams and wishes? But your not going to wish the virus away from you and your people no matter how much you want opinions to be true. But hey, if you have a problem with the HIV virus you could just make sure you don't have any sores in your mouth the next time you give head and make sure your partner wears a condom. That's the only advice I can give you Tex.

VPDcurt said:
Proof? Haha...get with the program. That article simply explains the limitations of various studies without explicity stating any conclusions regarding the point you are trying to "prove." Stop trying to be a victim. No one cares about your sexuality. You guys are so obsessed with the fact that you are gay. To me, it's a preference like any other so I don't dwell on things like that.

stfu - unfortunately we live in a world where people do care about your sexuality. nobody is obsessed with being gay; there's nothing wrong about being obsessed with gay rights though.

LSU-Tech said:
Look dude, Thats what my sociology professor said in class. What does she know? She only has a Phd in Sociology. She's only up all night and all day looking at statistics governing society. She only help write the book we used in the class.

Just because the virus decreased in males and increased in females does not mean anything. From what I understand gay males out numbered all groups by a long shot. They are still the leaders.

I mean, where do you get off using a web site as proof. That's not proof. Why do you think most professors do not allow their students to use web sites when they assign research papers? The reason is because half of them are not accurate! Anyone can make a website. If I make one right now that says what I'm telling you is true would you believe me then? At least I have a Phd that agrees with me. What do you got besides dreams and wishes? But your not going to wish the virus away from you and your people no matter how much you want opinions to be true. But hey, if you have a problem with the HIV virus you could just make sure you don't have any sores in your mouth the next time you give head and make sure your partner wears a condom. That's the only advice I can give you Tex.

that attitude of "you and your people" is really not welcome in the medical field. soon this will be your problem whether you like it or not.

Yes, let's all bash gays since it's already the official pastime of SDN members :rolleyes:

Flopotomist, you are really hott :love: PM me sometime if only to annoy the breeders! ;)

VPDcurt said:

I'll stop "playing the victim" the next time a state calls a constitutional convention to debate whether or not you and your heterosexual partner should be able to visit each other in the hospital, have inheritance rights, or adopt children... until then, I'll continue to fight for my civil rights by any means necessary.

Also, PLEASE stop trolling the gay threads -- it truly is tiresome, friend.

getunconcsious said:
Yes, let's all bash gays since it's already the official pastime of SDN members :rolleyes:

Flopotomist, you are really hott :love: PM me sometime if only to annoy the breeders! ;)

I thought we were exclusive, Patty! You, bitch!

Meh, what're you gonna do... another promiscuous ***. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kidding! i :love: getunconcsious!

Mateodaspy said:
Also, PLEASE stop trolling the gay threads -- it truly is tiresome, friend.

HAHA tooo true! VPDCurt, why are you always on the gay threads? Is there something we don't know about you? ;) I think he's into bunnies though which would make him a sexual deviant even worse than us :eek:

Mateodaspy said:
I thought we were exclusive, Patty! You, bitch!

Meh, what're you gonna do... another promiscuous ***. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kidding! i :love: getunconcsious!

And all this time I thought we were famous for hating each other :laugh:

But yeah u know I :love: ya. You're sooo lucky for getting out of Texas!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn... :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Bottom line: don't be afraid to let others know you support gays, if that's how you feel.

Will someone clear this up for me...I'm really not trying to sound like a smart*ss, but why have i seen soooooo many people say "Yawn...." and then type their reply...or just simply put "yawn" and nothing else??

Besides it being rude (IN MY OPINION) I know if i werent at all interested in a subject i would either a.) not click on the thread in the first place or b.) hit my back arrow as soon as i read it and was bored.

Am i just the much of a freak about wasting time?? Just dosent make sense to me...

MD1Day said:
Will someone clear this up for me...I'm really not trying to sound like a smart*ss, but why have i seen soooooo many people say "Yawn...." and then type their reply...or just simply put "yawn" and nothing else??

Besides it being rude (IN MY OPINION) I know if i werent at all interested in a subject i would either a.) not click on the thread in the first place or b.) hit my back arrow as soon as i read it and was bored.

Am i just the much of a freak about wasting time?? Just dosent make sense to me...

meh don't worry about him. just another uninformed, right wing nut job trolling the gay threads.

Mateodaspy said:
meh don't worry about him. just another uninformed, right wing nut job trolling the gay threads.

Typical uninformed left-wing nutjob. I'm not even mildly right-wing. A lot he knows...

LSU-Tech said:

I am definately not trying to take sides here, and we all know that data and/or studies can be manipulated to fit any one's agenda. However, just in the hope of educating some people, many of whom are stating opinion as fact, and talking this study/this professor etc- Here is an excerpt from the AIDS Epidemic Update December 2004 (published and realeased by UNAIDS and the WHO)0 sorry I can't cite it better, but the ISBN number is 92 9173390 3:
[referring to North America, Western and Central Europe] "Sex between men and, to a lesser extent, injecting drug use remain prominent factors in the epidemics in these countries, but the patterns of HIV transmission are changing. New sections of populations are being affected, with an increasing proportion of people becoming infected through unprotected heterosexual intercourse.
In the United States of America the epidemic has altered demonstrably during the past decade. An estimated 40 000 people have been infected each year in the United States in the last ten years, but the epidemic is now disproportionately lodged among African Americans and is affecting much greater numbers of women.
[...]
The majority of people living with HIV in the United States of America are men who have sex with men. Evidence in recent years of increasing cases of syphilis and other sexually transmitted infections among men who have sex with men triggered concerns that risk behaviour was on the rise and that a new wave of HIV infections could follow. Studies in Los ANgeles and San Fransisco found dramatic increases in the number of syphilis cases (from 4 to 260 in Los Angeles county in 1998-2000 and from 67 to 299 in San Francisco in the same period). However, new resaerch suggests that those increases have not had a substantial impact on HIV incidence, which stayed steady in 1999-2002 among men who have sex with men (Centers for Disease Control and PRevention, 2004a). In addition, a new, 16 state study indicates that HIV-positive men who have sex with men have been taking precautionary measures (including condom use, abstinence or staying faithful to one partner) to prevent further HIV transmission. The study urges. though. that more intensive prevention efforts should reach the small number of HIV-positive men who still practice unsafe sex with other men (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2004c)"

I also wanted to add that I tired to type this up exactly as it appears in the printed report, so please excuse any typos, since I dont have an electronic copy- just the report in front of me. (Even the bold is not added by me; appears in the report like this). I also wanted to add that there are regional differences and I only showed what was said about the US, and didnt include all the other regions (according to this same report) . Also the issue about HIV prevalence and homosexuals, is not relevant on a global scale; open your eyes and you see that out of the 39.4 million poeple living with HIV today, 47% are women, and the main mode of transmission is heterosexual sex! (from the same WHO/UNAIDS report).

This is all relatively useless to the OP's question but related in way since fighting for gay rights is also about dispelling public perceptions that are not necessarily true, and are in many cases prejudiced based on those misconceptions.... :)

First off, this is not a gay thread. This is simply a thread about someone asking whether an extracurricular activity would be appropriate to include in their CV or not.

As for the OP, if you felt strongly enough to do the work on behalf of this organization, then clearly the homosexual affiliation does not bother you. If you are confident enough to do work with the organization and it was meaningful to you, then chances are you will want to go to a school that can be open-minded about the variety of experiences you have had and will respect that you were able to become involved in a community with preferences different from your own.

In the end, you have to question the social environment of a campus that would decline to interview you based on the fact that you did work for a gay rights organization. Medical school reputations are built on a foundation of both academics and social environment. Apply where you feel your best fit will be, knowing that if this experience was meaningful for you, the school will see it as such as well.

:luck:

hasn't anyone heard that the fastest growing group of people with HIV/AIDS is heterosexual women? that's because straight people seem to think that HIV is the exclusive domain of gay men...ignorance is such a huge risk factor :(
and before someone flames me over semantics....i realize that some of you have not used the word exclusive, but this misconception seems to definitely exist.

in case you don't believe me: "In the United States, women comprise the fastest growing population of persons with AIDS. In recent years in the United States, a significant trend in adult women has been the increased acquisition of HIV through heterosexual contact and the decreased acquisition of the virus through intravenous (IV) drug use."
SOURCE: http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite.jsp?page=kb-03-01-12

the responses to this thread make me want to puke.

OP: be proud about your work. if they don't want you, they're not good enough for you anyway.

all of my sdn-buddies already said all of the stuff i would have said anyway. to the OP, if it was important, it deserves to go in your application. if certain med schools hold prejudices because of it (which they most likely won't) then you probably wouldn't have wanted to go there anyway. you don't have to qualify anything with "i'm not gay but..." just be yourself. one little tidbit of an extra-curric on your app is not going to be the deciding factor for whether you get in or not.
where's tony when we need him? and i'm sure psycho is on his way... :)

getunconcsious said:

I just like bashing you. :D

(I think it's fine to list a gay rights activity on your application - as long as you actually did something etc).

mercaptovizadeh said:
Typical uninformed left-wing nutjob. I'm not even mildly right-wing. A lot he knows...

I'm sorry, mercapto, but saying that you "personally find gay emotions and behavior immoral" is definitely edging on right wing nut job. It's akin to saying that you find interracial relationships "immoral"... IMO, either statement shows not only a complete disdain for compassion and an understanding of science, but also a degree of ignorance that makes you unfit to be a physician.

Reading this thread makes me wish I HAD mentioned something in my app about my being gay (and no, I didn't mention it - so no BS about "playing the victim card").

The reason I say this is because I see now what the next generation of gay patients will have to deal with when choosing a health care provider, and I am sad to say that it is scary. For that matter, it is scary to think of what will happen when a patient that is different in ANY way comes to many of the posters on here looking for care. I hope that by being from a marginalized group, I will be able to connect with my future patients better, and be able to foster a positive dynamic that will be conducive to better health care.

Yikes - some of these people on here scare me.

Mateodaspy said:
I'm sorry, mercapto, but saying that you "personally find gay emotions and behavior immoral" is definitely edging on right wing nut job. It's akin to saying that you find interracial relationships "immoral"... IMO, either statement shows not only a complete disdain for compassion and an understanding of science, but also a degree of ignorance that makes you unfit to be a physician.

No. Your problem is that you are lumping all people who do not have the same views on gays as you do, into one group. To you, they are "the other," and you have repeatedly characterized us as misogynists, racists, anti-science, militarists, etc. You are ignoring the fact that we come from many different backgrounds and do not represent a monolithic "other" and may in fact differ on other issues.

On some issues, I hold decidedly "left-wing" views: pro social services (including free daycare, medicine, education, etc.), pro strict gun control, anti war (strict pacifist), anti capital punishment, etc.

On the other hand, I hold some "right-wing" views: opposed to homosexuality, abortion, embyronic stem cell research, cloning, "humanitarian" wars, creationist, anti mental illness (don't believe it exists), etc.

And let me say that you are weaking your argument with your ad hominem attacks on us "lunatics." If you plan to do public health, you are going to have to engage the majority of the population, not spit on it and alienate it, even though you probably consider us uneducated "fascists" anyway.

mercaptovizadeh said:
anti mental illness (don't believe it exists), etc.

I try not to hijack threads but this one looks like it could use a little hijacking (to the OP - I tend to agree with those saying that if you felt strongly enough to get involved, then by all means don't leave the experience out. It will distinguish /diversify you compared with other applicants).

Merc - where would you put conditions like schizophrenia?

Handle said:
I try not to hijack threads but this one looks like it could use a little hijacking (to the OP - I tend to agree with those saying that if you felt strongly enough to get involved, then by all means don't leave the experience out. It will distinguish /diversify you compared with other applicants).

Merc - where would you put conditions like schizophrenia?

Principally, I believe there are essentially two types:

1.) Extremes of emotion or behavior. The ADD kid or depressed person. I believe these are emotional/behavioral extremes that are a result of life circumstances/influences, and that they can be fixed without medication or even psychotherapy. People with these problems need to have the source of the problem fixed or have to learn how to deal in a way that is not incapacitating.

I advocate reality therapy for this. William Glasser sets this forth, and I agree completely.

Another luminary on this subject is Thomas Szasz. He is excellent in his debunking of the psycho- professions and culture.

2.) For more serious conditions like manic depression, schizophrenia, etc. I think it is spiritual, i.e. demonic influence, oppression, or possession. Every person whom I've seen with one of these conditions has struck me as being in a state of spiritual (as opposed to mental) turmoil.

mercaptovizadeh said:
Principally, I believe there are essentially two types:

1.) Extremes of emotion or behavior. The ADD kid or depressed person. I believe these are emotional/behavioral extremes that are a result of life circumstances/influences, and that they can be fixed without medication or even psychotherapy. People with these problems need to have the source of the problem fixed or have to learn how to deal in a way that is not incapacitating.

I advocate reality therapy for this. William Glasser sets this forth, and I agree completely.

Another luminary on this subject is Thomas Szasz. He is excellent in his debunking of the psycho- professions and culture.

2.) For more serious conditions like manic depression, schizophrenia, etc. I think it is spiritual, i.e. demonic influence, oppression, or possession. Every person whom I've seen with one of these conditions has struck me as being in a state of spiritual (as opposed to mental) turmoil.

Type 1:

I don't necessarily disagree with what you said, as I do think that tossing pills at people and doing nothing else is a bad call. However, medication does have a place - specifically, when combined with x, y, or z cognitive/talk therapy. There is a lot of research that indicates combining meds and therapy is the best route to go with a number of conditions (depression, various anxiety disorders, etc).

However, all this doesn't address the issue - you said you don't believe in mental illness. I take that to mean that you don't believe it exists. If it doesn't exist than why are we discussing its treatment?

Type 2:

Again, my first thought is that if you don't believe mental illness exists, then I am wondering why you are referring to specific labels.

Secondly, I hope you are kidding. You do realize that schizophrenia and bipolar disorder have a substantial genetic component (around .5 for schizophrenia, a bit less for bipolar), right? Do you think demonic possession runs in families? Any evidence to suggest that schizos are schizos because of supernatural influence? Cause there is a lot to suggest it is a very organic condition.

What do you recommend for treatment? Exorcism? Seriously, I've never heard this theory before.

Status
Not open for further replies.