General Chemistry 1 doesn't seem that intuitive

Started by FallsZero
Tags Tags
genchem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FallsZero

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I find gen chem 1 pretty easy, but like it doesn't seem that intuitive. I'm doing well right now because I'm just thinking of everything in terms of mathematical relationships, I assume this is what you do?
 
Just think of it as math in gen chem. They throw all these laws at you that have no relation to each other. They only become useful when you apply them using physics biology or high level chemistry.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well if you think about it chemistry is the study of interactions between atoms and molecules, and those interactions are really the result of physics. Physics is just applied mathematics. There's a lot of crossing over between the sciences but classes like general chemistry are taught as a weed out class, and of your university teaches it "right," a third of your class should drop out by the end of the semester.
 
Just think of it as math in gen chem. They throw all these laws at you that have no relation to each other. They only become useful when you apply them using physics biology or high level chemistry.

Thats what I thought dude, I'm just treating it as learning a new language and not trying to figure out the intuition behind everything
 
I find gen chem 1 pretty easy, but like it doesn't seem that intuitive. I'm doing well right now because I'm just thinking of everything in terms of mathematical relationships, I assume this is what you do?

Lol as long as you're doing well it really doesn't matter. The problem is Gen Chem 1/2 lectures tend to be as you describe them, and the focus of the labs is on boring stuff like solubility and titrations, boring stuff that doesn't put you in danger of blowing yourself up. (I mean, I find titrations boring but if you're one of the 1% that love them then more power to you)

You really don't develop a love of chemistry until Organic Chem lab or Inorganic Chem. That's real chemistry. Gen Chem is all about establishing the ground rules, and the upper-level classes are where you learn why that stuff works the way it does. And then there's Biochem too, and there's so much depth in all of these different subfields!

I help lead a Gen Chem discussion class and I have lots of students who get frustrated that we "just want them to memorize stuff". For example, gas-forming reactions. Student was having difficulty, and I told him he just needed to memorize the cases. But then I showed him the mechanism by which, e.g. a carbonate or bicarb reacts with a strong acid to produce water + carbon dioxide + salt. He loved the visual explanation, but of course he didn't fully understand it b/c he doesn't yet have a strong grasp on solubility, or covalent bonding, or thermodynamics, or equilibria, or nucleophilicity/electrophilicity.

So trust your instructors in that you have to slog through the hodge podge of introductory stuff before you get to the interesting material. Just feel satisfied that you're doing well, Gen Chem can be a real struggle for many smart students.