General GPA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliCPhT

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking some online classes this summer. The university I'm going to utilizes the +/- grading system. This will be my first experience with +/- courses. How does getting an A- affect the GPA versus an A, or a B+.

Sorry if this sounds really basic, I'm new to all this! :)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Im not sure if its the same in all schools but my school has grade equivalence points. For an A or A+ it counts as a 4.0, A- = 3.7, B+ = 3.3, B=3.0, B-= 2.7, C+=2.3, C-=2.0 and so on.

To find your GPA first, multiply the numerical equivalent of the grade earned in each course by the number of credits each course is worth. The result is known as "quality points." For example, a 3-credit course with a grade of C+ would give you 6.9 quality points (3 X 2.3 = 6.9).

Then, add all the quality points together, and divide the total by the number of credits taken. The result is the Grade Point Average.

Hope this helps :D

Darn, I made a double post.:oops: How can you delete your posts? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking some online classes this summer. The university I'm going to utilizes the +/- grading system. This will be my first experience with +/- courses. How does getting an A- affect the GPA versus an A, or a B+.

Sorry if this sounds really basic, I'm new to all this! :)

Thanks!

If you are thinking ahead to how the plusses and minuses affect your GPA and you are going to apply to pharmacy school, I wouldn't worry about it. Most schools now use the Pharmcas system to calculate undergraduate GPA. Therefore, any plusses or minuses are disregarded and only the letter grade is used to calculate the GPA. In other words, a B- is the same as a B which is the same as a B+.

The plus/minus system will only be used by your undergraduate institution.

Are you sure about this? They don't use GPA +/-'s at all? I don't remember that...but then again the application was a year ago.

Now that would be interesting, but I think the pharm school's still see the +/-'s.

Edit: well I was going to check on pharmcas...but pharmcas doesn't exist at the moment (tried www.pharmcas.org, and came up blank).

As I remember, that's how it works - however I could very well be wrong.

PharmCas does use the + and - in their grading calculations. It is as a previous poster listed.

what if your school doesnt use the +/- and its only letter grades on ur transcript? pharmcas has to use only the letter then right?

Pharmcas will use what is on your official school transcript sent to them.

PharmCas does use the + and - in their grading calculations. It is as a previous poster listed.

Are you sure? Like I said, I could be wrong (and probably am) but on my transcripts on the pharmcas site, whenever I typed in "A" or "B" it would list "A/A+" or "B/B+".

Thanks everyone for your help. It looks like I have A- in 2 of my 3 classes so far (but we're only 2 weeks into the semester). My 3rd class hasn't started yet. it's an accelerated 6 week course! :scared: what was I thinking!!! I work full time, have a 2 year old, and a husband. It's psychology, so it should be interesting. I'm just nervous about it all.