General surgery+fellowship or integrated vascular

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

could anyone shed some light on the differences? I am thinking more of academic programs (so both will have the extra two research years).

What is the difference in employement possibilities? Licensing? Will I be expected to do more general surgery procedures after being hired post fellowship? Is there a difference in income if you are licensed in both?

Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to play the field or get into a committed relationship right off the bat? Because that's essentially the difference between the two plus or minus other major points.

If you do a google scholar search you'll see a paper about how the employment prospects aren't different between the two groups. No difference in licensing since you don't need general surgery boards anymore to sit for your vascular surgery one. If you wanna do general surgery after fellowship that's your prerogative. And being licensed in both will probably not make a large difference in your income. It will make a difference in the kind of stuff you get consulted for, and buddy just you wait; if you want to get consulted for both general surgery issues and vascular ones, there's a special kind of pain that awaits you. I could go on but this should get things stared. There's also a search function that has answered this question many times over. Cheers.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you want to play the field or get into a committed relationship right off the bat? Because that's essentially the difference between the two plus or minus other major points.

If you do a google scholar search you'll see a paper about how the employment prospects aren't different between the two groups. No difference in licensing since you don't need general surgery boards anymore to sit for your vascular surgery one. If you wanna do general surgery after fellowship that's your prerogative. And being licensed in both will probably not make a large difference in your income. It will make a difference in the kind of stuff you get consulted for, and buddy just you wait; if you want to get consulted for both general surgery issues and vascular ones, there's a special kind of pain that awaits you. I could go on but this should get things stared. There's also a search function that has answered this question many times over. Cheers.

Thanks for the response! I didn't think about the consult part. I guess it could get pretty overwhelming if I want to do both.

I did find the other thread regarding this topic right after I posted. Thank you for still responding though!