Generalized responses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my story. I applied to 3 schools, 2 instate (interviewed w/ them) and 1 out of state. I didn't receive anything from the out of state school so I questioned them and was sent the following email.

Your application has been evaluated and at this time it will not
receive further consideration for admission. Despite your other positive qualities revealed in the application, your application is not competitive from either an academic standpoint in prepharmacy core science courses or in terms of overall application score with the large number of other individuals who applied this year.

Now, my question is do schools put thought behind the letters/email they send out or they just send a generalized email to everyone? It states that I am not competitive from an academic standpoint. How is a 3.86 science GPA not competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

Can I ask what school that was from? Gosh- just reading that made my stomach queasy.

It was from Purdue. I applied to UCSF and UOP also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Purdue is an out of state school. They generally prefer in state students and I am not sure how they feel about diversity. I know that I did everything possible to be a competitive applicant. I have pharmacy experience, leadership skills, extracurriculur activities so who knows what they were looking for.

sounds competitive to me. maybe it was a mistake?

I think most colleges send out form rejection letters, with a few variations (i.e. waiting list vs. rejection). They probably don't have time to individually explain the reasons why each person didn't get accepted. When I got waitlisted at the U of U, I called the admissions coordinator to find out why, because I got a form letter too. But all she could tell me was the avg GPA /PCAT scores of those accepted.
I've heard not-so-great things about Purdue from certain people out here. Seems like they need to revise their rejection letter to sound not so harsh. From what you've said, you sound like a very competitive applicant for ANY school. I would definitely call them to find out what their deal is! :confused:

Good luck! :thumbup:

Congrats on a UOP and UCSF interview. Why in the world would you go from California to Indiana?? Just seems like an odd choice to me, not that thats bad! I love West Lafyette!

My husband got his masters from Purdue. I mainly applied because he wanted to move back there. Oh well. :)

I got the same message from purdue. First they lost my application. Then this lady named brenda stevens reviewed my application the same day when she found it. First off i thought it was BS that i wasnt reviewed my the admissions panel. Then i find out she just plain out denies me...then she says i should get a letter soon....4 or 5 weeks pass...i recieve no letter...then i email her back and i get the same damn response shal recieve...what kinda damn institution is this?..i really think someone is not doing there job there...and you know what the sad part it????????!?!?!!?!?!?
read the message shal posted above.....and look at my gpa...i freakin perfect 4.0....i kid u not..i have yet to get a B in my college career..and i hear that response..its like what more do i have to do...i do voulnteer..work at hosiptal..and i cant even get an interview at purdue..but i got one at san fransico???..what a disgrace.....i think it was a waste of application fees to pharmcas and purdue..

I feel the same way. I should have just saved my money! They didn't even send out interview invitations to in state residents until the week before the interviews. I thought that was very strange. But, they clearly do state that they prefer in state residents so maybe this is what our application was lacking.

Originally posted by chitown23
read the message shal posted above.....and look at my gpa...i freakin perfect 4.0....i kid u not..i have yet to get a B in my college career..and i hear that response..its like what more do i have to do...i do voulnteer..work at hosiptal..and i cant even get an interview at purdue..but i got one at san fransico???..

Just out of curiosity, where did you do your undergrad? University of Michigan has a policy to essentially reject anyone who comes from a commiunity college because they feel that it doesn't prepare the student well enough, and that it's not fair competition with 4-year students who might have a slightly lower GPA. Purdue might feel the same way... or maybe they just like to take people's money. ;)

I did my undergrad at a four year school and have a BS degree. I have been doing pre-pharmacy coursework for the past 2 years so essentially I have spent 6 years in college.

Originally posted by shal
I did my undergrad at a four year school and have a BS degree. I have been doing pre-pharmacy coursework for the past 2 years so essentially I have spent 6 years in college.
And you never had a B and they still won't even talk to you!? Holy...! That is really crazy.

Edit: (oops, I mixed up two members! sorry!)

Members don't see this ad :)
i did mine at the university of illinois..its not a bad school..pretty hard actually...

Man, after reading, I feel like I need to bust my ass even more. 4.0 GPA and can't even get an interview? At least I'm not applying to Purdue this fall.

jdpharmd, I haven't gotten a B either in the past two years. The only B I have in a science class is one I took during my undergrad.

Originally posted by shal
jdpharmd, I haven't gotten a B either in the past two years. The only B I have in a science class is one I took during my undergrad.

Oh. Well that's good too! :D You'll get into plenty of schools!

If you come from California of any big city, you don't want to go to Purdue. West Lafayette is in the middle of nowhere, and it takes 30 minutes of driving to the nearest highway.
By the way, i'm in the same boat too, I applied to Purdue and haven't gotten any interview invitation yet. I guess it will never come since they will have the interview on March 1st and March 5th for out of state.
I'm pretty annoyed...but hey I won't go there anyway even if I get accepted

Purdue University school of pharmacy gives priority to their undergraduate students.

Do schools list on their websites whether or not they give priority to their own undergrads?

Yes, some schools do... but I am aware of that because my sister goes to Purdue University.

Originally posted by suga0016
By the way, i'm in the same boat too, I applied to Purdue and haven't gotten any interview invitation yet. I guess it will never come since they will have the interview on March 1st and March 5th for out of state.
I'm pretty annoyed...but hey I won't go there anyway even if I get accepted

I doubt that Purdue is even interviewing out of state students. Since they have already held interviews for in state students, I find it less likely that out of state students will have a fair chance. I just wish I had known this about them sooner and applied to another school instead. Its so unprofessional of them to not even let us know what our status is without questioning them.

My sister attends Purdue for grad school and she knows an undergrad that lives in her same building who got accepted to Purdue Pharmacy School with barely a 3.00.

Originally posted by michelleca4
My sister attends Purdue for grad school and she this undergrad that lives in her same building got accepted to Purdue Pharmacy School with barely a 3.00.

That's interesting!

If your from California, Purdue is totally different. Lets just say my sister is not going to finish her Ph D and just get a masters degree because she isn't happy with the atmosphere.

I got into Purdue from out of state. I have a 3.8 GPA and scored in the 99th percentile on the PCAT (which they don't even look at). I guess I just lucked out getting in.

Purdue gave me the same response. I live in Texas.

The worst generalized response that I recieved was from Albany College of Pharmacy :

"...The selection process is competitive and the Admissions Committee must turn away many students. If you are currently enrolled as a student, we encourage you to contact your academic advisor to identify alternate academic and or career goals"

How's that for discouraging! Way to encourage people to enter the field... and what makes them think they are the only school to which I applied?????

Originally posted by Leah27
The worst generalized response that I recieved was from Albany College of Pharmacy :

"...The selection process is competitive and the Admissions Committee must turn away many students. If you are currently enrolled as a student, we encourage you to contact your academic advisor to identify alternate academic and or career goals"

How's that for discouraging! Way to encourage people to enter the field... and what makes them think they are the only school to which I applied?????

That is awful! Like we don't know that its competitive.. obviously we are trying our best to get in.

Originally posted by anotherminute
I got into Purdue from out of state. I have a 3.8 GPA and scored in the 99th percentile on the PCAT (which they don't even look at). I guess I just lucked out getting in.

Congratulations! I guess my gpa was too low for their standards. Do you have a BS?

If you want to go to an institution that cares about students and not about money, don't go to Albany, because that's all they're about. They denied me admission after I got into their 3 year program, stating that my deposit money did not get there, even though I had like a month to send it in. They had no right to deny me admission on that basis.... Just that letter was enough for me to realize how disrespectful Albany was and that it was a waste of time applying there..

Best of luck in your application process..