Genetics and Biochem worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMTRNtoDR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so here's my situation. I've been a medic for 5 years and an RN for about 1 now, and have been working ever since I became a medic. I teach ACLS and CPR, got a reward for 1st in my RN class, and am applying in June for 2014. I work full time nights and barely have time to study. I started off my college career poorly but have brought my GPA all the way back up to about a 3.5, with all A's so far in the required prereqs which I'm taking at a state college. My question is how much will genetics and biochemistry help in getting into medical school in schools that only recommend it. I've looked at the schools I really want to go to and they don't require it. I'm sure they will help me on the MCAT and in medical school, but what I really want to know is how adcoms look at it. If I get a decent MCAT and have the GPA I have without taking those courses will it really make that big of a difference?
I also wanted to ask about volunteering. How much will it help given my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Biochem is becoming a requirement at a lot of schools, I think a few DO schools currently require it. KCUMB requires Genetics from what I understand though.

I understand that. I'm asking how much the courses will help in schools that only recommend them and don't require them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so here's my situation. I've been a medic for 5 years and an RN for about 1 now, and have been working ever since I became a medic. I teach ACLS and CPR, got a reward for 1st in my RN class, and am applying in June for 2014. I work full time nights and barely have time to study. I started off my college career poorly but have brought my GPA all the way back up to about a 3.5, with all A's so far in the required prereqs which I'm taking at a state college. My question is how much will genetics and biochemistry help in getting into medical school in schools that only recommend it. I've looked at the schools I really want to go to and they don't require it. I'm sure they will help me on the MCAT and in medical school, but what I really want to know is how adcoms look at it. If I get a decent MCAT and have the GPA I have without taking those courses will it really make that big of a difference?
I also wanted to ask about volunteering. How much will it help given my situation?
Few schools require biochem as a prereq. It might help in the mcat but I think you can learn some of these stuff that the mcat requires on your own. I think there is one DO school that requires genetics as a prereq and I think genetics will be much more helpful than biochem for the MCAT. It will look good in your transcript if you take them and ace them. If you get a good mcat score, I think adcoms will overlook the lack of upper division science classes.

I understand that. I'm asking how much the courses will help in schools that only recommend them and don't require them.

To answer your question, since Ive asked this to a number of students...yes, they help quite a bit. Those who have taken biochem especially are glad they did. This seems to be the class (aside from anatomy) that gives the MS-1's the biggest problems. So, having taken it previously, well, it can only help. :thumbup:

To answer your question, since Ive asked this to a number of students...yes, they help quite a bit. Those who have taken biochem especially are glad they did. This seems to be the class (aside from anatomy) that gives the MS-1's the biggest problems. So, having taken it previously, well, it can only help. :thumbup:
OP is asking if these classes will help in the admission process...He/She understands they will certainly help in medical school.

Thanks for your reply Temperature101. That's kind of what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure how much it would hurt my chances in my situation, having my bach in nursing and not many high level sciences.

OP is asking if these classes will help in the admission process...He/She understands they will certainly help in medical school.

Thanks for your reply Temperature101. That's kind of what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure how much it would hurt my chances in my situation, having my bach in nursing and not many high level sciences.

Was my answer confusing OP? Ill restate it: Ive asked this same question several times to various people. They say Yes. (yes, it helps to have it...not sure how you want someone to qualify the answer here...yes a lot? yes a little? ...the only real answer is yes, it helps. How much it helps depends on your GPA, the difficulty of your other classes taken, which school and adcom is reviewing your file...but in general, yes.)

Now, the second part of my answer clarified: Taking biochem will also help you in medshool. Id sure suggest it, but its up to you.

hopefully that was clearer. :thumb up:

***Maybe its just too late? :laugh:

in any case, good luck this cycle.

I see what you're saying now, and I'm sure it helps. I was wondering more in general if I have the numbers adcoms are looking for, and I've achieved those numbers without taking biochem or genetics, will it hurt my chances. I know they will help, there is no question about that. I'm trying to decide if I want to squeeze one of the classes in before I apply, and one the summer after I apply (before interviews). But this would be absolutely brutal. I don't have a life now as is. Taking my 8 credits and working full time. Winter Id have to take another 8 instead of 4 and work full time and study for the MCAT. So that's where the question is coming from.

I see what you're saying now, and I'm sure it helps. I was wondering more in general if I have the numbers adcoms are looking for, and I've achieved those numbers without taking biochem or genetics, will it hurt my chances. I know they will help, there is no question about that. I'm trying to decide if I want to squeeze one of the classes in before I apply, and one the summer after I apply (before interviews). But this would be absolutely brutal. I don't have a life now as is. Taking my 8 credits and working full time. Winter Id have to take another 8 instead of 4 and work full time and study for the MCAT. So that's where the question is coming from.

I think you can get in to medical school without it but I will agree that it helps in the process. I took genetics and a year of biochem just to help give an extra edge to my app. There are people out there who just do it because they know it will help.
In your case I can't really say it's necessary though especially since you have so much experience as an EMT and RN.
I guess weigh the pros and cons. Pros are that it will help your application and help you later in medical school especially if you do well in those classes. Cons, it sucks taking these classes; they're hard. Plus you said you're really busy.

If I were in your situation I would realistically say, what's more important? Taking genetics and biochem or focusing all of my attention on studying for the MCAT? The MCAT is a beast to study for and I think getting a good MCAT score weighs more on your app than those two classes.

Genetics is useful for medical school and board exams. It's worth taking. Mcat score is more important than gpa.

In a word, YES! Adcoms will like seeing upper level science classes, and they will both be helpful classes to have once you start school.

Members don't see this ad :)

The answer is still yes...we all have a back story, and it is relevant to your entire app, but, your question is if biochem and genetics are worth it. The answer is yes, for a number of reasons.

If you don't care what school you get into, and you get a decent MCAT, you'll most likely get in somewhere. If you want to be competitive and have some choices to decide from (multiple acceptances) then upper level classes are a must.

Gen, biochem, anatomy, physiology, molecular, micro, patho...if you dont have any of these classes, I think it would be noticed. Also, for me at least, genetics was a significant portion of my MCAT.

Good luck with your decisions.

Biochem > Genetics for MCAT.

You want to take them they will help out later in med school

I'm not sure if Genetics would be helpful. My UG Genetics class was pretty superficial and I regret not taking Pathology instead.

I'm not sure if Genetics would be helpful. My UG Genetics class was pretty superficial and I regret not taking Pathology instead.

At my medical school biochem was the make or break course for MS-1 and genetics was incorporated into the biochem class.

Biochem in medical school had the most remediating students of any class, more so than anatomy. Take it if you can.

At my medical school biochem was the make or break course for MS-1 and genetics was incorporated into the biochem class.

Biochem in medical school had the most remediating students of any class, more so than anatomy. Take it if you can.

:thumbup: I can see where that would be true.

at my medical school biochem was the make or break course for ms-1 and genetics was incorporated into the biochem class.

+1.

Will it help you get in to take them? No. Will they help you in medical school? Yes. At our school we wouldn't ding you for not having them, that's for sure. So, quit fussing and concentrate on the MCAT.

:thumbup: I can see where that would be true.

Precisely. Biochem is a course with a lot of remediation at any level of education. In my grad program those who hadn't taken it in undergrad really struggled with it, and a few had to retake it on top of our increasingly difficult courseload.

I always suggest taking it before medical school to avoid the Bio[chem]Shock.

Precisely. Biochem is a course with a lot of remediation at any level of education. In my grad program those who hadn't taken it in undergrad really struggled with it, and a few had to retake it on top of our increasingly difficult courseload.

I always suggest taking it before medical school to avoid the Bio[chem]Shock.

If I have the money for UNECOM I might take it online if I get accepted this cycle. The grade won't matter, so I can at least kind of relax even if I'm taking a hard class.

Disagree...molecular bio and genetics were by far more numerous. But they may be different tests.

MCAT genetics is so superficial that an entire semester is wasted on genetics.

MCAT genetics is so superficial that an entire semester is wasted on genetics.

To be honest an undergraduate course on genetics is going to be very superficial. However the course does a great job at refining your knowledge from intro biology and expanding on it a little bit.

When I took my MCAT the bio section was almost exclusively tough genetics questions, and I don't see you not getting into a medical school with your stellar EC's (assuming your GPA and MCAT score are good when you apply). However, I would not shy away from these classes because inevitably your going to have to learn about them in medical school and not having a good base to draw off of may hurt you in the long run.

I would definitely take genetics. I may take biochemistry my last semester, but we only have one professor that teaches it and she is notoriously hard, so I'm not sure about that.

I've heard over and over that people regret not taking biochem before they start med school. Which, of course, makes it more ridiculous that I never took it (I opted to spent my extra slots on stuff like pharmacology and microbiology/immunology)...

Will it help you get in to take them? No. Will they help you in medical school? Yes. At our school we wouldn't ding you for not having them, that's for sure. So, quit fussing and concentrate on the MCAT.

Which brings me to my next question for you. Your school's admission page (assuming I've correctly deduced which school you belong to :p) says 3 hours of biochem is required... if so, I have a semester of Orgo II from Mizzou. What are the odds this passes as a course substitution?