Genetics lab required for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kyan447

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm about ready to apply to medical school with one last semester left, until I need to get my application materials together. I do have one question, I will be taking my genetics course this coming semester however neither my major nor university require that I take the lab. I am currently a resident in Texas, and from the research I have done Texas medical schools DO NOT require the genetics lab either. I like to keep my options open, and have not ruled out applying to medical schools outside of Texas; in turn, I was wondering if anyone had information as to medical schools in other states and their requirements of a genetics lab course to be taken prior to application. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I'm about ready to apply to medical school with one last semester left, until I need to get my application materials together. I do have one question, I will be taking my genetics course this coming semester however neither my major nor university require that I take the lab. I am currently a resident in Texas, and from the research I have done Texas medical schools DO NOT require the genetics lab either. I like to keep my options open, and have not ruled out applying to medical schools outside of Texas; in turn, I was wondering if anyone had information as to medical schools in other states and their requirements of a genetics lab course to be taken prior to application. Thank you in advance.

This should probably be in the pre-allo forum.

But to answer your question, I personally have never seen a med school that requires a genetics lab. HOWEVER, it would be good for you to do research (if you know what schools you'll be applying to) to check their websites and just make sure. You'd hate to find out that your dream school requires it when you could have easily taken it.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, of course not. Genetics isn't even a pre-req at any school that I know of. How would this even work for someone that isn't a natural science major?

Same way genchem/ochem/physics works for non-science majors?

Those are intro level courses, though. Genetics is usually an upper-level biology course requiring biochemistry or something of the like.

Oh I see. My school only requires Bio1, but you make a good point :)