Genetics PhD: Non-Academia Based Careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frankthetank727

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am strongly considering embarking on a PhD program at University of Chicago in either the Human Genetics or Genetics, Genomics, and systems biology fields. My interests lie in research related to genetics and diseases in some way shape or form.

I was wondering if anyone here has known anyone (or they themselves) in a genetics field that has worked in a non-academic position,research or other, and what options there might be with a PhD in this field that are not academic positions. I enjoy research very much but I do not have much of a passion for teaching as a full time profession.

I am open to any sorts of input and comments on the topic. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry this reply is almost a year late, but in case it is helpful to the OP or someone else thinking similarly I thought I'd reply. Clinical laboratory genetics was a revelation to me when I discovered its existence in grad school. You basically train to learn how to run a clinical laboratory to give results back to patients. It was an incredible opportunity to learn about genetic causes of human disease, and also to do what felt like very meaningful work outside of academia. Although some who go this route still do end up in academic positions, I'd say the majority work for genetic testing companies. Here is a link to the website, and feel free to PM me if you have questions. Training Options | ABMGG