Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Genetics

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Magus, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Magus

Medical Student
    Hey,

I heard from various advisors that genetics is recommended by many med schools? I have only verified this by looking at U-M (michigan) Medical School's website (some genetics is recommended). What do you guys think? Helpful on the MCAT/in med school? required by any med schools? Thanks for any info.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. baylormed

baylormed On the Search

Post Doc
    There is a Genetics component to the MCAT. Depending on the version you get the day of the test, your test might be very heavy in Genetics (mine was!).

It is a very interesting class and I would recommend taking it. Don't take the lab if you don't have to, though...but I just say that because most labs are time consuming and sort of a waste of time anyway.

4. zippa

Medical Student
    Its not required by medical schools, but I found the class helpful and interesting. Plus it should make the genetics on the MCAT easy.

5. HumbleMD

HumbleMD hmmmm...

Resident [Any Field]
    It's never explicity requried, but an upper Bio course is (you'll need 2 semesters of bio for almost all schools). Might as well kill 2 birds with one stone and make that upper bio a genetics course...

6. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit

Medical Student
    Ditto

And... double ditto. I took molecular genetics and I'd definitely recommend it if you can fit it in. :thumbup:

7. HumbleMD

HumbleMD hmmmm...

Resident [Any Field]
    It's a good class, but the blatant lies they teach you about replication, translation, and transcription, as well as the trite Lac Operon are somewhat frustrating if you're a biochemist...

8. NickRiviera

NickRiviera MS-Never

I was hoping this thread was about giving up the path of medicine to be a genetic counselor. No such luck.

9. scrubsaresexy

Pre-Medical
    Its part of the bio sequence at my school. Freshman year is Principles of Biology I and II and sophomore year is Genetics and Ecology and Evolution. I would think it would be a good class to take regardless, though, so you probably should just go ahead and take it.

10. pennybridge

pennybridge Banned
    Banned

me too :(

11. Tired Pigeon

Resident [Any Field]
    I found it helpful for both the MCAT and med school genetics. FWIW, I understand genetics is gradually taking on a more prominent role on the MCAT at the expense of organic chemistry.

12. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes!!!!! Genetic Counseling Rocks!!! :D long live Genetics! (may he rest in pieces, er ... I mean peace)

13. Tired

Tired Fading away

Boy OP, you really know how to reopen old wounds, don't you?

I still miss the little guy . . .

14. Vano

Resident [Any Field]
    If you're a bio major then you probably have to take it anyway, if not I still suggest you take it--an interesting class and helpful on MCAT, I've heard from multiple sources genetics becomes more and more prominent on MCAT these days, the one and only I took last yr had couple of gen. passages if I remember correctly. and take genetics lab it's fun, and not such a demanding class, at least it wasn't in my school.