Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I heard from various advisors that genetics is recommended by many med schools? I have only verified this by looking at U-M (michigan) Medical School's website (some genetics is recommended). What do you guys think? Helpful on the MCAT/in med school? required by any med schools? Thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a Genetics component to the MCAT. Depending on the version you get the day of the test, your test might be very heavy in Genetics (mine was!).

It is a very interesting class and I would recommend taking it. Don't take the lab if you don't have to, though...but I just say that because most labs are time consuming and sort of a waste of time anyway.

Its not required by medical schools, but I found the class helpful and interesting. Plus it should make the genetics on the MCAT easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's never explicity requried, but an upper Bio course is (you'll need 2 semesters of bio for almost all schools). Might as well kill 2 birds with one stone and make that upper bio a genetics course...

There is a Genetics component to the MCAT. Depending on the version you get the day of the test, your test might be very heavy in Genetics (mine was!).

Ditto

It is a very interesting class and I would recommend taking it. Don't take the lab if you don't have to, though...but I just say that because most labs are time consuming and sort of a waste of time anyway.

And... double ditto. I took molecular genetics and I'd definitely recommend it if you can fit it in. :thumbup:

Ditto

And... double ditto. I took molecular genetics and I'd definitely recommend it if you can fit it in. :thumbup:

It's a good class, but the blatant lies they teach you about replication, translation, and transcription, as well as the trite Lac Operon are somewhat frustrating if you're a biochemist...

I was hoping this thread was about giving up the path of medicine to be a genetic counselor. No such luck.

Its part of the bio sequence at my school. Freshman year is Principles of Biology I and II and sophomore year is Genetics and Ecology and Evolution. I would think it would be a good class to take regardless, though, so you probably should just go ahead and take it.

I found it helpful for both the MCAT and med school genetics. FWIW, I understand genetics is gradually taking on a more prominent role on the MCAT at the expense of organic chemistry.

Boy OP, you really know how to reopen old wounds, don't you?

I still miss the little guy . . .

If you're a bio major then you probably have to take it anyway, if not I still suggest you take it--an interesting class and helpful on MCAT, I've heard from multiple sources genetics becomes more and more prominent on MCAT these days, the one and only I took last yr had couple of gen. passages if I remember correctly. and take genetics lab it's fun, and not such a demanding class, at least it wasn't in my school.