genetics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bito42

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm soooo confused...should I take genetics now in hopes that it will help me for MCAT/Med School or should I save myself the stress and hassle?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't sweat it. There's no reason for you to take it unless it fills some elective credit or you're a Biology major. There's very little genetics that could show up on the MCAT (there was none on mine) and med schools only expect you to have the basic Biology down before you enter. It's better to have a "diverse" undergraduate experience, since medical school and beyond will teach you all the Biology you will need to know.

I disagree with Neuronix on this one.

Genetics is an invaluable course. You do not need to take it before the MCAT, however a sound knowledge of genetics is critical for the changing face of medicine. As medicine becomes increasingly molecular, genetics is becoming indispensible.

Will you get Genetics in med school? Yes, of course. But, unlike other courses (e.g. anatomy), you'll cover it in greater detail in college.

Don't take Genetics to get a leg up on med school, because in the grand scheme of things, it'll be a small component of your premedical coursework. Take it because it will undoubtedly shape your career over the next few decades.

Get a liberal education, but don't miss out on Genetics.

Cheers,
doepug

Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't they changing the MCAT so that the BIO section will definitely have genetics on every form starting next year? I think they are, so it would probably make it easier on yourself if you took a genetics course.

If you are taking the April MCAT in 03 or later, they are adding more genetics question in and taking some organic out. If I had the chance to take it or find time, even though I'm taking it right now, I would take it just to solidify the genetics stuff you learned in basic bio. I think in basic bio, we just went over the genetics part (Mendel stuff, biotech, DNA) very broadly, so taking the class wouldn't hurt.

Take genetics. It'll be on the MCAT and it's just good stuff to know anyways. :)

genetics, grrrrrr:mad: ,
please lets refrain from using the word genetics on this forum. it should be considered a cuss word.

as a math major, i enjoyed genetics. i was just wondering how bio and other majors view genetics. is the frustration of pbehzad shared by most and is it due to the mathematics involved in the course? thanks for your replies :)

take it...not only will you likely have a passage on it, but questions in otehr passages can sometimes be answered using genetics knowledge.

nero

Take it. Its not easy, but it'll expand your understanding of biology.