George Washington GCATS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroScot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am wondering if anyone is applying for the Fall of 2016 for the GW GCATS program. I know it isn't a "true" SMP, but I am very interested in the small class size, professors that are worked with, and the classes offered. Let me know, I'm hoping to get my app in as soon as possible in January.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It definitely looks interesting and I would apply if interested but two things make me hesitate. One : they have a linkage agreement with GW SOM but the details are not revealed until you enroll. Two:GCATS is expensive for a non-masters granting program. You'll also be living in a high COL area.

Hello, I am wondering if anyone is applying for the Fall of 2016 for the GW GCATS program. I know it isn't a "true" SMP, but I am very interested in the small class size, professors that are worked with, and the classes offered. Let me know, I'm hoping to get my app in as soon as possible in January.

Hi! Did you end up applying??

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the process of applying right now, just waiting on recommendation letters. I was originally going to wait and apply with an MCAT score even though it isn't required, but my date got cancelled due to the weather so I am applying without a score.

I'm in the process of applying right now, just waiting on recommendation letters. I was originally going to wait and apply with an MCAT score even though it isn't required, but my date got cancelled due to the weather so I am applying without a score.

Oh okay! Good Luck!! I think I might apply as well!

I just applied! I'm really looking to boost my sGPA. Good luck to everyone else applying!

Im applying as well! anyone else not applying with scores and would like to share stats?

Im applying as well! anyone else not applying with scores and would like to share stats?

I'm applying with around a 3.3 GPA which I realize is low. I do have a strong upward trend though so I'm hoping that'll have an effect!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm applying with around a 3.3 GPA which I realize is low. I do have a strong upward trend though so I'm hoping that'll have an effect!

I am applying with a 3.34 as well and have a strong upward trend but did not take the mcat or the GRE. Did you? BTW good luck to you :)

I am applying with a 3.34 as well and have a strong upward trend but did not take the mcat or the GRE. Did you? BTW good luck to you :)

Yup I took the 2015 MCAT and got a 499 mainly because i had a particularly low score in the biochem section because I hadn't taken biochem at that time. So I took biochem last semester and got an A so I know I could do better next time I take the exam! Good luck to you as well :)

Hello - is this for the post-bacc in Ashburn, or at the actual GWU in D.C.?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many people are actually offered the M.D. Linkage? Thx

There isn't a specific number. You have to be nominated to be eligible for the linkage, which includes a minimum undergraduate GPA required, along with a minimum MCAT score, and you also need to do well in your interview in order to be offered admission.

There isn't a specific number. You have to be nominated to be eligible for the linkage, which includes a minimum undergraduate GPA required, along with a minimum MCAT score, and you also need to do well in your interview in order to be offered admission.
Is this for the career changer track?

Is this for the career changer track?
I'm honestly not sure. I was a science major and most of the classes are upper class science levels (histology, embryo, gross anatomy, vertebrate anatomy) so I'd double check with the director.

I'm honestly not sure. I was a science major and most of the classes are upper class science levels (histology, embryo, gross anatomy, vertebrate anatomy) so I'd double check with the director.

Do you mind sharing more about the program? I am very interested and in the process of applying. How do you feel about the program overall? I know its a very broad question, I just feel like there's very minimal information about the program on their page.

Current student, a few things you may want to note (as of 2015-2016 year, unsure if/what changes will be made for 2016-2017 year):

1. Linkage is dependent on entrance statistics. Namely, science GPA, overall GPA, college major, and you can NOT have taken the MCAT more than once (this includes voided attempts).

2. The GCATS and MATS programs do have small sizes, however, the classes are shared with undergraduate students (and a very few number of other graduate students). This essentially negates the benefit of small class sizes.

That being said, there are some really great professors and some good opportunities to get involved in research. If you can manage your time and are self-motivated, there is ample time to study for the MCAT.

I am applying this cycle. Application was deemed complete a few days ago.
I plan to submit this weekend, just making final touches to my personal statement. Do you mind me asking what you're hoping to get out of the program?

I plan to submit this weekend, just making final touches to my personal statement. Do you mind me asking what you're hoping to get out of the program?
Well I am applying for the MATS program. The 2-year masters, so I'm hoping to raise my science GPA and get some research experience in regenerative medicine.

Well I am applying for the MATS program. The 2-year masters, so I'm hoping to raise my science GPA and get some research experience in regenerative medicine.
Let me know when you hear back from Dr Hirshfield or whomever else. I'm curious to see who long the turn around is after the application is processed and forwarded to the admissions committee.

Let me know when you hear back from Dr Hirshfield or whomever else. I'm curious to see who long the turn around is after the application is processed and forwarded to the admissions committee.
I got invited by Dr. Hirshfield to interview last week. I'm just worried about the timing because I have already received acceptances from other programs. Hopefully they are pretty quick after the interview.

I got invited by Dr. Hirshfield to interview last week. I'm just worried about the timing because I have already received acceptances from other programs. Hopefully they are pretty quick after the interview.
Congrats! I was offered an interview as well. I imagine the turn around is fairly quick but who knows. When is your interview, and will you do it in person or on skype?

I
Congrats! I was offered an interview as well. I imagine the turn around is fairly quick but who knows. When is your interview, and will you do it in person or on skype?
I have been accepted! Yes the turn around was very quick. And I did a phone interview Im OOS (Texas)

Current student, a few things you may want to note (as of 2015-2016 year, unsure if/what changes will be made for 2016-2017 year):

1. Linkage is dependent on entrance statistics. Namely, science GPA, overall GPA, college major, and you can NOT have taken the MCAT more than once (this includes voided attempts).

2. The GCATS and MATS programs do have small sizes, however, the classes are shared with undergraduate students (and a very few number of other graduate students). This essentially negates the benefit of small class sizes.

That being said, there are some really great professors and some good opportunities to get involved in research. If you can manage your time and are self-motivated, there is ample time to study for the MCAT.
Hi i was wondering if you could please share what your entering stats were and if you ended up getting accepted into medical school? Or had a good number of interview offers?

Hi! I was wondering if you got in with the stats that you had??

Hi!

I was wondering if you got in with the stats that you had?

Hi!

I was wondering if you were able to share your stats??

cgpd 3.3 sgpa3.2 biochem major. minors: leadership studies, bio. graduated in 3yrs. african american. no research exp. a lot of community service/public health exp. I declined my acceptance though, got into a program close to home.

cgpd 3.3 sgpa3.2 biochem major. minors: leadership studies, bio. graduated in 3yrs. african american. no research exp. a lot of community service/public health exp. I declined my acceptance though, got into a program close to home.

Thank you! How early did you submit your application? I'm aiming to enter for the fall 2018 session. I'm not sure how early to apply or when the application is available.

Thank you! How early did you submit your application? I'm aiming to enter for the fall 2018 session. I'm not sure how early to apply or when the application is available.
I applied in February I believe. I'm not sure when the application opens but if you submit by January you will be early in the application process which is good.