George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chopsuey

miss independent
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received their secondary a week ago, but haven't gotten around to filling it out since it involves a typewriter. :rolleyes: i'm just nervous since there's only one copy and i'm not the most adept typewriter user ever. now, i know that there was an on-line version last year, but i haven't been able to find one for this year. does anyone have any clue if one exists somewhere? i tried searching, but of course the search function won't let me put in abbreviations that everyone uses, so that was really to no avail!

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ok, i hate being this anal, but do you think they care if we use the actual application they sent us or a scanned version? even as i'm writing this, i can just "hear" the comments i'm going to get back, but i think it's a legit question....

Originally posted by chopsuey
ok, i hate being this anal, but do you think they care if we use the actual application they sent us or a scanned version? even as i'm writing this, i can just "hear" the comments i'm going to get back, but i think it's a legit question....

m..u..s..t....control...urge....must...not...bite....oh dammnit:

admissions committee member 1 to admissions committee member 2

"OH MY GOD, look at this - a FAKE application form!"

Members don't see this ad :)
Chopsuey,

I have GW's secondary in PDF format, PM me your instant messenger screen name and I'll send it to you.

- Focus

oh, and for the "serious" record...of course they expect you to use the form they sent. But I really doubt they're gonna throw it in the trash if you do scan it, as long as it looks pretty much like the original.

I have photocopied it, hand written the responses, and will take it to someone that professionally types to have it filled out.

Originally posted by the boy wonder

m..u..s..t....control...urge....must...not...bite....oh dammnit:

admissions committee member 1 to admissions committee member 2

"OH MY GOD, look at this - a FAKE application form!"

:rolleyes: i know, i know, i was asking for it..... but at least i'm gonna type it myself!! :laugh:

:rolleyes: i know, i know, i was asking for it..... but at least i'm gonna type it myself!! :laugh:

:laugh: true, but if you've seen many of my posts you'll know why I'm not leaving it down to MY spelling/typing skills :laugh:

oh, and before Focus gets a million PM's looking for the PDF, you can find it on-line here

ok, now it's my turn to be anal. :laugh:

Is anybody taking the extra pain to print it on a cream colored paper to make it look JUST like the one they sent via snail mail?

:confused:
Please don't hurt me for asking this. :clap:

oh and another thing: that's the 2002 application. anybody know how to change it to 2003???

hi Tweetie, you can edit it if you have the regged version of Adobe Acrobat reader.

Let me know if you are able to or not, if not, gimme a msg and I'll fix it and send it to ya. But you'd have to tell me what to change, since I am not applying to GW..

- Focus

P.S. I'm leaving in a couple of hours.

sigh....nevermind, I figured it out. :clap:

But thanks for the offer anyway. :love:

Tweetie,

There's a button that has the letter "T" on it, on your tool bar for the "Touch up Text Tool"

It'll change your cursor into a vertical line.

From there, click on the text that you want to fix.

- Focus

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL
seems like we're online at the same time. Thanks so much for helping. I knew i had to use one of the Text tools, so after trying about 10 of them I finally hit the right one. LOL
Thanks!!! :clap:

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
ok, now it's my turn to be anal. :laugh:

Is anybody taking the extra pain to print it on a cream colored paper to make it look JUST like the one they sent via snail mail?

be glad that the boy wonder hasn't see this yet.... ;)

my answer: seriously, don't bother doing that. honestly, if you're not sending in the original form, then what's the point in faking it? if they actually do care that you didn't use the form they requested, do you think that they're going to be placated by cream colored paper?

btw, i swear I'm not trying to make fun of you!

good luck....

next question: how in the world do they expect us to write our interest in the school in four lines?? it's not that i don't know why i'm applying, but i can't make more than four coherent sentences in that space. <sigh> this is why tufts rocks...they only want an answer if you have a legit one.

anyone want to give an example (you can make up a school so people don't think i'm trying to steal reasons....)

sorry i'm in a such a bad mood today, but it's been silly secondaries all afternoon....

be glad that the boy wonder hasn't see this yet.... ;)

Hey!!! :laugh:

actually I had seen it, I just figured I'de upset enough people with ridicule today ;)

TWO POSTS IN ONE

Ok I have a question. On the course requirement section it says to list our grade. Do we do something like this: A/B+, or do we average the two semester grades together??? I just don't want to type it in and then be wrong and do the whole application over.

BTW, I just went to Kinko's and copied the secondary on the exact same colored paper and even double-sided the copy. Then I had their folding machine crease it for me perfectly. Hope this helps when youre typing it up.

I was really surprised about this last year when I applied. I ended up messing up an original form (which was printed on GREEN paper) when I fed it through the printer. It was all lined up perfectly, I had tested it with photocopies and all, but when I put the real thing through, the text ran directly through the lines, and ..... you get the picture.

I had made extra copies of the original form just in case, and so I printed it (lined up perfectly *this* time!), and sent in the application, which was now on regular WHITE paper.

A few weeks later, which felt like an eternity on the rolling admissions game, I got a package back from the school saying that I hadn't used their paper, and it wasn't acceptable. They returned my application and my check and said they would send a blank copy of another green form.

I would say: Don't underestimate admissions committees wanting things done *just* the way they like it. Being a little anal and trying to follow directions to a T from the start can save you time and headaches later.

This process can be a pain at times, no doubt. Don't forget to keep laughing about it and try to get through it as fast as possible and with as little hand wringing as possible.

Originally posted by jonquille

I was really surprised about this last year when I applied. I ended up messing up an original form (which was printed on GREEN paper) when I fed it through the printer. It was all lined up perfectly, I had tested it with photocopies and all, but when I put the real thing through, the text ran directly through the lines, and ..... you get the picture.

I had made extra copies of the original form just in case, and so I printed it (lined up perfectly *this* time!), and sent in the application, which was now on regular WHITE paper.

A few weeks later, which felt like an eternity on the rolling admissions game, I got a package back from the school saying that I hadn't used their paper, and it wasn't acceptable. They returned my application and my check and said they would send a blank copy of another green form.

I would say: Don't underestimate admissions committees wanting things done *just* the way they like it. Being a little anal and trying to follow directions to a T from the start can save you time and headaches later.

This process can be a pain at times, no doubt. Don't forget to keep laughing about it and try to get through it as fast as possible and with as little hand wringing as possible.

is this for real??

oh and another thing: that's the 2002 application. anybody know how to change it to 2003???

anyways, its pointless...because this online secondary has some different questions on it. oh well...guess i have to go get a typewriter

Originally posted by jonquille

See, and THIS is the reason why we poor premeds get so ANAL. I am going to save this message for future reference to show those people that think I'm a bit NUTSO...it's not ME, it's the schools!

oh my lord... i've actually had thoughts about this happening with the dartmouth application! it's a nice green form, but i'm afraid i'll screw it up when i try to print it out. luckily you can do it online as well, so they won't care if it's on white paper. i seriously doubt most schools will care if it's on green or white paper!

I didn't have any of these problems last year when I applied to GW...

I typed my responses, printed them out onregular white paper (and made the font the appropriate size for the given amount of space), and cut and pasted them on a photcopy of the application. I then photocopied the application in a second time and sent it in. The admissions committee had no problem with me not sending in the original (and I'm going there in the Fall)

is this for real??

If I had a scanner, I would put it the letter up for y'all. I was *shocked* (and annoyed) when I got my application returned to me. I couldn't believe that adcoms would be that particular, but they can be.

The reason it was such a bummer too was that it ended up delaying my application by almost a month. I submitted it, thinking everything was fine, then after a while, my app was returned. Unfortunately, they forgot to enclose a fresh green form in the package with my returned white app, so I had to call them for a green app. So by the time all this mail silliness etc was done, it was about 4 weeks later. It made me feel nervous that all that time had passed (rolling admissions!) just due to silly paper color.

I can't say every school is this way. Probably it's worth calling the admissions office for schools that you might do anything slightly different from their process just to confirm that they don't care. I bet some care, and some don't.

And the identity of the school that is really attached to their green paper is: Penn State! Dartmouth might not give a hoot about their green paper (good to check though) -- but green IS the official color of Dartmouth!!! ;)

Obviously, if the secondary is now online, your secondary will be on white paper (unless you want to make yourself look really special and use fuschia-colored paper), so who cares. It seems like more schools than last year are using online secondaries, which helps make your life tremendously easier.

If I had a scanner, I would put it the letter up for y'all. I was *shocked* (and annoyed) when I got my application returned to me. I couldn't believe that adcoms would be that particular, but they can be.

wow.....hey, the boy wonder....this one's for you, courtesy of me and (i'm going out on a limb here) Tweetie: :p :p :p :p

:laugh: all right, i'm done being immature for tonight

i liked someone's post about a typing service - that is, a professional typist who will type in your secondary responses.

how do you find one? :confused:

Yes, well, I've been rejected from TWO schools now because I don't have a bachelor's degree (I skipped the bachelor's and have a doctorate instead). So I believe that a school would indeed reject someone for not using their paper.

wow.....hey, the boy wonder....this one's for you, courtesy of me and (i'm going out on a limb here) Tweetie: :p :p :p :p

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ok, I'm a big enough guy to admit when I'm wrong. But you know how this nonsense occurs don't you? It's because some of those hyper-anal pre-meds are NOW fully fledged Drs on ad-coms. I say "this is madness, I tell you, madness!"

...but just you wait chopsuey...I'm watching you now! :laugh:

jeebus some you people are so anal!
it's a friggin 3 page app with 4 lines at most per question. there is no need to play app form 007 and copy the thing with the same color paper and machine fold it and OMFG! i find this to be disturbing; unhealthy.

:rolleyes:

see, there is this thing, it's called a typewriter. it's used to type stuff out on paper. so like when someone asks to you type on a piece of paper, next time, think "typewriter" instead of "copy as pdf/photocopy/line up text just right/go to kinkos/find same color paper/print/machine fold/cross fingers adcoms won't notice"

w0rd.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
jeebus some you people are so anal!
it's a friggin 3 page app with 4 lines at most per question. there is no need to play app form 007 and copy the thing with the same color paper and machine fold it and OMFG! i find this to be disturbing; unhealthy.

:rolleyes:

see, there is this thing, it's called a typewriter. it's used to type stuff out on paper. so like when someone asks to you type on a piece of paper, next time, think "typewriter" instead of "copy as pdf/photocopy/line up text just right/go to kinkos/find same color paper/print/machine fold/cross fingers adcoms won't notice"

w0rd.

LOL!! :laugh:

Okay okay I know I am an idiot and I got what I asked for, but I still need to vent.

So this weekend, I went to the library to use the typewriter for the GW app. But for some reason, I couldnt bring myself to use it. I don't know why. The thing scared me!
So i say to myself, I'm just gonna go home, type it on word, print out tons of test sheets, line it up blah blah blah.
Did it for the first page - worked like a charm. It was breathtaking really.
I go on to the second page. Type it up, print on test sheets, adjust on my screen yadda yadda. It looks perfect right? Wrong. I put the real form in, go to the kitchen, get some food, and then come back to see that it didn't feed right and my text was wayyyy off.

Oh well, guess i will be calling them up tomorrow for a new app. How lame am i??
In light of what Jonquille said, i really dont want to do it on white photocopies.

Okay, I did the GW application long before I discovered SDN, and when I saw the form I just filled it in, as neatly as possible, by hand. I'm interviewing there next week, so it can't mean instant death. But very impressive for those who are managing to type everything in.

katem

I tried the whole type it up on word, print some test sheets, and send the real app through the printer thing too and man did it go wrong ... big time. I got to the third page of the GW secondary and my printer took the app in crooked and then printed my answers all over the page over the instructions on it. I was flipping out, seriously. But I emailed them and told them the copy I got in the mail was in bad shape (from an evil mailman!) and they gave me a website to dowload the app as a PDF! I wish they would have us know that from the start so we wouldn't stress about getting the damn information to line up properly.

mind giving us the website address. thanks

I can't believe they didn't give us this to start with. I even broke down and used a typewriter to fill out their application. Those bastards. :)

Bounty,

You're wonderful--thanks for the link to the pdf secondary! I thought I was worrying unnecessarily about these forms... but I seem to be in good company. :)

Originally posted by candiedapple01
Bounty,

You're wonderful--thanks for the link to the pdf secondary! I thought I was worrying unnecessarily about these forms... but I seem to be in good company. :)

No problem! Glad I could help. :)

Do med schools look favorably upon handwritten applications? My handwriting is pretty neat but I just assumed they wanted typed responses, being cleaner....