Georgetown SMP, BU or Ros Frank Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
imrep1972 said:
Ok, another question... (too much time on my hands :) )

There is a thread on the pre-med forum about gunners and animals. It got me to thinking. In your experience, are the students in the SMP at G-town gunners?

Personally, I am someone who enjoys studying hard (guess I would qual as an animal) but I am VERY interested in working *with* my classmates to make sure that as many of us as possible do well and achieve our goals. Do you think that is something that will be realistically possible there, or would I be wasting my time, generally speaking?

While not the object of your question, I will take a stab at it.

As over half of the classes are med school classes....you need to understand how the grading goes.

The 180 med students take the test, same time smp's do. The med students establish a curve--10-15% get honors.

Poof, those grad students that score in that range (be it 2% or 42%) get A's. Therefore, with the exception of applying to GUSOM, the smp's are competing against the MSI students' curve.

The grad school classes, yes technically you are competing but more than a Bell curve's worth of students get A's.

Hope this helps, and maybe premed will help if I am in error.

jackb

Members don't see this ad.

imrep1972 said:
Ok, another question... (too much time on my hands :) )

There is a thread on the pre-med forum about gunners and animals. It got me to thinking. In your experience, are the students in the SMP at G-town gunners?

Personally, I am someone who enjoys studying hard (guess I would qual as an animal) but I am VERY interested in working *with* my classmates to make sure that as many of us as possible do well and achieve our goals. Do you think that is something that will be realistically possible there, or would I be wasting my time, generally speaking?

there will always be gunner types because, unfortunately, some people are just like that by nature. i don't think you will feel that smp is a very competitive environment at all. while competition - albeit uneccessary competition - does rear its head, there are plenty of students who realize that there's no reason to compete with fellow physios. and, with that, there will be plenty of students to study with in groups. i know a lot of people choose to study with fellow physios. i have from time to time and it's been very helpful. about the grad classes, jackbnimble gave a good explanation. i wouldn't worry about them at all. best of luck.

dynx said:
Are you talking about USC/LL/Stanford or a UC? The advice to leave it off is aimed specifically at the UCs. I'm not sure if the relationship between the SMP and the UCs has changed but in the past, the UCs pretty much didn't take applicant from the SMP since they wanted to see the whole years grades and frankly, they have plenty of applicants they want. In that regard, it was a good idea to leave it off your apps in the past if you really had your heart set on a UC. The SMP directors don't really mention this till you get to DC and they are there to sell the program so if you really want to know, look at the list of SMP alumni and where they are now, talk to Dr. Meyer's and see how many people have gotten into UCs this year (to see if for some reason the UCs have changed thier process). No harm in asking and making the best decision possible. I wish someone had helped me make the decision to do this while I was at the SMP.

This makes no sense to me. The implication here is that UCs regard SMPs in a negative light. I see no possible reason why doing an SMP would be a bad thing. It may not boost your application to these schools but how in the world could it hurt you?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not that the SMP hurts you. It definitely helps. It's just that the UC's prefer that you apply after you have already finished the program (with a year's worth of grades) and will not really take a serious look at your app. unless you already have good stats to begin with (in which case you wouldn't need an SMP at all).

Found out about Georgetown last week...will most likely attend, unless a waitlist works out.
Good luck everyone!

I just got accepted to BU.
3.4 overall
3.2. science
3.7 overall for the past 2.5 years
3.6 science for the past 2.5 years
1300 GRE

I just got the e-mail today. I'm accepted at Georgetown's SMP! :)

It's a far cry from a medical school acceptance, but at least it's something from a school that started with "We are delighted to inform you..." instead of "We regret to inform you...".

tacrum43 said:

It's a far cry from a medical school acceptance, but at least it's something from a school that started with "We are delighted to inform you..." instead of "We regret to inform you...".

yeah, you almost think that you're imagining things. . . haha

now the question remains .... where and WHO am I going to live with ...

I'm still accepting suggestions :idea: cuz I have NOT found a place/person to live with!

tacrum43 said:

Tacrum, congratulations!! I knew you would make it...

For you and all other CA residents going to G-town:

Will you apply to any UC schools this next year? Is it worth the $$$ given the UC prejudice against *current* SMP'ers?

imrep1972 said:
Tacrum, congratulations!! I knew you would make it...

For you and all other CA residents going to G-town:

Will you apply to any UC schools this next year? Is it worth the $$$ given the UC prejudice against *current* SMP'ers?

I've been told not to mention SMP on the AMCAS app and only to mention it elsewhere ... but you make your own destiny so dont quote me on it. I'm still deciding on that one ....

-Jonathan

jkherson said:
I've been told not to mention SMP on the AMCAS app and only to mention it elsewhere ... but you make your own destiny so dont quote me on it. I'm still deciding on that one ....

-Jonathan

How ironic, I was given the EXACT opposite advice :)

Of course, I am not too sold on applying to a UC... I am just trying to get a feel for what others are doing, so I know if I am wasting my $$$ or not.

imrep1972 said:
How ironic, I was given the EXACT opposite advice :)

Of course, I am not too sold on applying to a UC... I am just trying to get a feel for what others are doing, so I know if I am wasting my $$$ or not.

*POSTED BY PREMED*

I agree with IMREP. Why wouldn't you want to mention that you're getting a master's degree in Physiology and Biophysics? I mentioned it. If you are from California, I would also recommend applying to the UC's...give it a shot!

Members don't see this ad :)
gintien said:
*POSTED BY PREMED*

I agree with IMREP. Why wouldn't you want to mention that you're getting a master's degree in Physiology and Biophysics? I mentioned it. If you are from California, I would also recommend applying to the UC's...give it a shot!

Sorry I keep posting on my friend's SN in accident.

i dont know how helpful this is.. but

i've been hearing a LOAD of replies (whether you're accepted or not) should be coming in within the next couple weeks. :eek:

Hey all!!!

Just found out today that I got into georgetown's smp!!! I'm as fired up as a school girl ankle deep in orange soda! FYI...i had like a 2.64 cum and a 31 MCAT so there is hope for us <3.0 kiddies! Good luck to all and i hope people are going to share more good news in the coming days.

Tooth

TiggidyTooth said:
Hey all!!!

Just found out today that I got into georgetown's smp!!! I'm as fired up as a school girl ankle deep in orange soda! FYI...i had like a 2.64 cum and a 31 MCAT so there is hope for us <3.0 kiddies! Good luck to all and i hope people are going to share more good news in the coming days.

Tooth

I was not aware that school girls got fired up being ankle deep in orange soda :)

Congrats on getting in! We'll see you there.

TiggidyTooth said:
Hey all!!!

Tooth

Congrats Tooth! I got accepted to RFUMS today. I'm on hold at Georgetown. Tell them to let me in!

calbear15 said:
Congrats Tooth! I got accepted to RFUMS today. I'm on hold at Georgetown. Tell them to let me in!

Where would you rather go, RFU or Georgetown? RFU does have a pretty sweet link, and all you need is a 3.0? Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. I'm still waiting on RFU cause they misplaced a transcript so hopefully i will hear something soon. I'm also waitlisted at EVMS. That freakin bad ass you got into RFU bro!

Tooth

kylahs said:
Im a lil confused. Georgetown's SMP website (http://biomedgrad.georgetown.edu/admsummps.html) says a GRE score is required. it made no mention of MCAT scores. but from this thread i get the impression that they accept MCAT scores?

"Selection of candidates for acceptance to the Special Masters Program in Physiology and Biophysics is based on overall undergraduate college performance and MCAT scores. Applicants usually have an overall GPA of at least 3.0 and total MCAT scores of at least 27." link

TiggidyTooth said:
Where would you rather go, RFU or Georgetown? RFU does have a pretty sweet link, and all you need is a 3.0? Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. I'm still waiting on RFU cause they misplaced a transcript so hopefully i will hear something soon. I'm also waitlisted at EVMS. That freakin bad ass you got into RFU bro!

Tooth

Before I started this process, I was desperate to get into ANY med school by 2006, so RFU would've been a good choice for me. So is EVMS. But now I don't know anymore. I've talked to a lot of wiser older people and they don't seem to think that I should be in a hurry. They think that I should try to get into the best school possible and one extra year is nothing. A lot of doctors are pushing me to go to BU.

I'm gonna have to think about it a little bit. If I get in, G-town would definitely open more doors. I don't know what your numbers are but I think if you don't mind the risk of waiting an extra year, then go to G-town over RFUMS.

p.s. thanks for calling me a badass tooth. I think I'm gonna go pick a fight with some med school students now

for those that applied to multiple SMPs that required recommendation letters, did your pre-med office send composite letters to the schools? my school only sends to professional-degree programs, which IMO is BS.

kylahs said:
for those that applied to multiple SMPs that required recommendation letters, did your pre-med office send composite letters to the schools? my school only sends to professional-degree programs, which IMO is BS.

My school has a letter service that sends them to any program you request. That is a tremendous incoveniance. What are you supposed to do in that situation, have you letter writers send the letters out themselves?

TOoth

TiggidyTooth said:
My school has a letter service that sends them to any program you request. That is a tremendous incoveniance. What are you supposed to do in that situation, have you letter writers send the letters out themselves?
TOoth

Yep. Although most deadlines have passed, I'm gonna send a complaint.

just got into GU SMP yesterday. happy i wont be living at hooome.

anyway, i was wondering what are some reasons to pick GU over RFU (still waiting on them)???

good luck peoples.

info:
gpa3.4, mcat32R, b.s. in civil engineering

go bears! die usc!

im done.