Georgetown's Reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ebolahunter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is Georgetown's SOM reputation? NOT MSAR stats, but as a whole.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

rejection factory? :smuggrin:

other than that...it's a very traditional school...jesuit...leans more towards clinical than research, but seems to be more research-oriented than the other jesuit schools. definitely gave me a cold vibe in all their correspondence...i've never visited the campus, though, so if anyone has more info or corrections, fire away.

jbrice1639 said:
rejection factory? :smuggrin:

other than that...it's a very traditional school...jesuit...leans more towards clinical than research, but seems to be more research-oriented than the other jesuit schools. definitely gave me a cold vibe in all their correspondence...i've never visited the campus, though, so if anyone has more info or corrections, fire away.

Talked to a current student- they're really big on social justice. Search around on their website for more on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't like it that much. Probably showed.

I thought the environment was really warm when I went to the school actually. The admissions staff was extremely nice and they really make a big effort to make sure their students fit well with the school.

I just finished my masters at the G'Town med school, and I may be attending as a med student in 2006, so I am a bit biased. But I can tell you about their reputation somewhat objectively, as I have had my doubts about Georgetown in the past.

Georgetown has, and has always had, a fantastic reputation. The faculty is top-notch, and they graduate lots of students into their specialties of choice. It is a very orthopaedic surgery-heavy school...for instance, last year I think 19 people went to ortho residencies. Apparently one year there were 25 or so. I don't know if this is a measure of how "good" the school is, but obviously they are graduating a lot of people into competitive residencies. It is a private, Jesuit school, but as both a student and interviewee, I didn't feel like they were trying to push a catholic agenda. They do, however, take professionalism and spirituality very seriously, which is, for me, at least, a definite plus.

That being said, the facilities are not as "shiny" as at many of the other schools I have visited. The medical school is older, as is the hospital. This is a potential drawback to Georgetown. It may not make much of a difference in the first couple of years, but if you are planning on training at state-of-the-art facilities in years 3 and 4, I don't know if Georgetown is on par with other institutions. However, you should probably ask a student who is in their later years about this if it has been a concern/problem. It seems to me, that if students are being placed into competitive residencies, they are adequately trained during med school.

Overall, the students seemed very happy to be there. There are research opportunities (as I said, the faculty is top-notch!), service projects, and just about any other experiece that you would find at a "top 10" medical school. And the Georgetown reputation, as I said before, is fantastic. Just ask your average Joe Schmoe on the street, "what do you think of Georgetown Medical School?" and see what kind of response you get. And think about it...these are the people who are going to be picking your name out of the Kaiser Permanente directory in 7+ years....who do you think they will be more apt to select? The doctor with "Georgetown Med" associated with their name, or "The University of Lesser-known school"? (I'm not knocking other schools or saying that they are necessarily worse, I'm just saying that there is going to be some advantage to name recognition.)

I hope this helps. I loved Georgetown as a graduate student, and I would be very happy having the Georgetown reputation backing my application to residencies in another 4 years.

i was a SMPer there last year and loved it...its my top choice for med school because they really take care of the students and make all the material readily available. i thought the faculty was fantastic and the school and surrounding area is very nice. two thumbs up from me! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hey gintien...just think, another round of endocrinology with Dr. Lumpkin!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i have to say that amongst the medical community, georgetown is not highly regarded. it is a good school, yeah its name is pretty big, but frankly georgetown as an institution is known for its law and public policy programs, NOT for its sciences. i know of someone who goes there and is miserable, says the facilities are old and wishes he had gone somewhere else (but didn't get in anywhere else).

yeah, georgetown has a big name to any patient or whatever who doesn't know much about medical schools, but if i had a choice to attend another school, i would definitely not attend georgetown.

besides, if im a patient who is looking through a kaiser diretory or whatever, i wouldn't go strictly based on what school they graduated from. i'd definitely bank more on the reputation of the physician through word of mouth or referrals from other doctors.

oh, yeah i think the best thing about georgetown is that it is in georgetown/D.C. it's one amazing city

dc is ok, but it's definitely overrated.

ablumoon said:
i have to say that amongst the medical community, georgetown is not highly regarded. it is a good school, yeah its name is pretty big, but frankly georgetown as an institution is known for its law and public policy programs, NOT for its sciences. i know of someone who goes there and is miserable, says the facilities are old and wishes he had gone somewhere else (but didn't get in anywhere else).

yeah, georgetown has a big name to any patient or whatever who doesn't know much about medical schools, but if i had a choice to attend another school, i would definitely not attend georgetown.

besides, if im a patient who is looking through a kaiser diretory or whatever, i wouldn't go strictly based on what school they graduated from. i'd definitely bank more on the reputation of the physician through word of mouth or referrals from other doctors.

oh, yeah i think the best thing about georgetown is that it is in georgetown/D.C. it's one amazing city

hahaha! do remember him saying "true to my nature, the final has 69 questions"

LadyWolverine said:
Hey gintien...just think, another round of endocrinology with Dr. Lumpkin!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ablumoon said:

yes... well, this is what a friend of mine recently emailed me (a student at georgetown):
honestly, I'm not as happy as I could be here. in
some ways it sucks. the curriculum is no good, but i
hear that will change in a few years (maybe not in
time to affect you, unfortunately). we have a ton of
class hours, few exams (which means the ones we have
count extra, and cover extra). also the grading
system encourages competition among the student body;
we're graded on a strict curve.

I loved Georgetown's idea of social justice - typified in this example (for the cynical among us):

G'town Doc: We are open to treating the disadvantaged from all walks of life, especially the homeless and the drug addicted.
Q: So, do you actually treat the homeless and the drug addicts at this hospital [in reference to the G'town campus hospital]?
G'town Doc: Well....our affiliates do...

But, agreeing with the above posts, G'town is an incredible school for clinical 'hands on' stuff - at least the interview day convinced me of that. It seemed like you got to do a lot, right away, and would keep doing a lot for the duration of your stay there.