Georgia Applicants 2009 - MCG, Emory, Morehouse, Mercer, PCOM

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by fahimaz7, Jun 22, 2008.

1. fahimaz7

Attending Physician
    So, it's time to make a new thread for this year. If you're like me and reapplying, or you are fresh meat, this is the place to ask about these schools. Sticky this sucker up and lets see where it goes.

PS. I'm in for EDP at MCG this year and submitted/verified this week. No secondary yet.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. futuredrcrawfor

Pre-Medical
    I am applying to MCG, Emory, and Mercer- I have submitted my stuff waiting to be verified

My MCAT though isn't til Aug 5th so I will be a bit late there- I have injured my rotator cuff and am on meds so I had to delay the MCAT :(

4. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman

Medical Student
    So are we ditching the old thread? Or is this one specifically for the 9ers?

5. fahimaz7

Attending Physician
    It's for the 2009 year. You guys will be in school shortly and we need a new thread.

6. Scean

Scean whats a goon to a goblin?

Medical Student
    I'm in, regular applicant to Emory and MCG, YEA!

7. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman

Medical Student
    oh, so you're ditching us. I see how it is. :smuggrin:

8. BlackDr2b

BlackDr2b JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!

Medical Student
    I am from Cali but I will be applying to Morehouse. :thumbup:

9. riceman04

Medical Student
    I am applying to Emory for sure...finishing up the essay questions for them tonight!

However, I was having second thoughts about Morehouse b/c they give soooooooooo much preference to Georgia residents

10. fahimaz7

Attending Physician
    Well if this is all the EDP applicants I'm looking good.. :) But seriously, where are all the SDN-addicted EDP applicants?

Lol

11. glamqueen

Medical Student
    EDP to Mercer...anyone know what their secondary is? I would like to get a headstart on it....

Any other EDP'ers to Mercer out there? I definitely match with their mission. I like PBL (I am pretty sure it will work great with how I learn, at least), and I like the smaller size of the school. I'm excited and hopeful!

12. fahimaz7

Attending Physician
    If you call Mercer they will send you a secondary so you can get a head start on it. At least, that is what they said they would do for me if I was to of applied EDP this year.

13. futuredrcrawfor

Pre-Medical
    On the website it says they require a chronological list of ec's, addresses, etc since 9th grade and then that form from the county to verify residency- so i guess you could start thinking way back to high school!

14. rowerlauren

Pre-Medical
    Emory sent out an e-mail today saying that their secondary will be out in late July... thanks Emory

15. futuredrcrawfor

Pre-Medical
    well since my MCAT got delayed to Aug 5th- that makes me really happy!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Doctor D

Medical Student
    I am also EDP to Mercer. I am hoping that my interest in primary care and volunteering in rural GA with migrant farmworkers put in line with their mission. It should!! Anxiously awaiting my MCAT score.

18. GAdoc

GAdoc GAdoc

Resident [Any Field]
    Those of you who frequent the other Georgia school posts will be rolling your eyes for sure....for those of you who haven't had the pleasure, I'm a rising
    2nd year at Mercer. A quick background:

Graduated from Mercer undergrad in 2005. I applied early decision to Mercer for the 2005, 2006, and 2007 cycles. I was finally accepted for the entering class of 2007. I would certainly be willing to expound on all of the reasons I didn't get in the first two times and why I think I finally did the last time if anyone is interested.

Anway, I enjoyed being a resource for this last year's application cycle and I would love to be involved in answering any questions you guys might have as far as the admission process in general or concerning Mercer. Obviously, my expertise is with Mercer but along my "journey" of three application cycles I have also had run ins with Ross, St. George, GA-PCOM, Morehouse, MCG, and USUHS. I was interviewed at all of those schools and accepted at Ross, St. George, and GA-PCOM.

Good luck!

19. Doctor D

Medical Student
    *jumps at chance to interrogate*

What makes Mercer special, it seems like everyone knows them as the school "where everyone is unusually nice". Care to shed some light? Also anyone else notice that for Mercers class size (60 macon + 30? savannah), Mercer seems overrepresented on SDN. I have seen few people from emory or mcg. Maybe they just like repping Mercer because their school is better :D

20. glamqueen

Medical Student
    Best of luck to you Doctor D - I hope we both have luck EDP this cycle. :)

21. Doctor D

Medical Student
    GL to you also glamqueen. I think we both know how crazy this process is!

22. glamqueen

Medical Student
    GAdoc - I would appreciate any of your advice with Mercer, btw. I'm so incredibly excited to be applying EDP - I'm really excited about the school, but I realize the value of insight of a student and veteran in this game too. Any suggestions, what not to dos etc.?

23. Skymastre

Medical Student
    Nice to see Fahimaz and GADoc; Fam good luck with the EDP at MCG. I'm sure you were disappointed with the decision from Mercer's front-frankly from how you described the situation I'm surprised by the resolution...

I'm EDP to Mercer, and Godchaser is out there someplace as well. He is EDP to Mercer.

My Amcas was submitted and verified a week ago, but the messed my grades up and now I am frantically trying to get them fixed.

Question: How many of the EDPs to Mercer are second time applicants?

#21 Skymastre, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  24. GAdoc

GAdoc GAdoc

Resident [Any Field]

What makes Mercer special? Hmmm...let me try to sum up what I think makes it special and if you have specific questions I'll answer them.

First, the small class size means you never feel lost. The student body is truly cohesive and supportive. Of course there are always a few gunners, but they are the minority...not you. The faculty see you more as a colleage than as a subordinate. Instead of lecture, we have "group" of 7 or 8 students plus one faculty "tutor" who's job is not to teach - just to facilitate discussion.

Be prepared to work hard. Let me tell you were Mercer sets itself apart: they take students at the low end of what most med schools would consider acceptable and in two years turn them into students who for the last few years have outscored Emory on Step 1 of the USMLE. You can find the MCAT and GPA stats for the last few year's classes on Mercer's web-site. Compare that with the match list for this past year...that should answer some questions about why Mercer is so special!

25. GAdoc

GAdoc GAdoc

Resident [Any Field]
    Any specific questions, or just in general?

26. fahimaz7

Attending Physician
    Here's some older Mercer stuff that I have pulled together from the years of applying...

-"10-24-2004, 04:17 PM #6
    Lonestar

Mercer is a good school. Dean is telling the truth. I am a Mercer grad, so I can say that yeah we had good scores (Avg 227 on Step 1 for class of 2004). If you do well on boards and clinical grades, you can go anywhere for anything (there are always exceptions). If you want competitive residencies such as Radiology, Ophthamology, Anesthesiology, Dermatology, Ortho pedic surgery, Urology, etc. you had better have execellent board scores and clinical grades. Currently doing Anesthesiology residency (with transitional intern year.)"

-
    SDN Moderator SDN Benefactor

My school (Mercer) had a 229 step I average the last I heard. That was with 3 or 4 student scores still unreported. Not sure what the average is now.

Nearly all the students I've spoken with have had scores above average. I'm only aware of one student who took the test and scored below average.

-Unhappy student

I know for a fact our average board scores were 212 this year. First time pass rate: 89%. I think that might be lower than average for Mercer.
    I'll also tell you that I was absolutely miserable the first two years. It was like a 2 year panic attack for me. I felt like the basic scientists resented us. There were a few who acted very unprofessionally to me (talked about my grades with random staff members not involved with students whatsover, verbally assaulted me during an oral exam.) If my situation had been different, as far as family, etc., I would not have come to this school. I can't say that even half of my classmates have stories like these, but a lot do. I can think of at least 14 or 15 (out of 65) classmates with whom I've conversations that do feel this way. Even graduates I've talked to almost started to cry when they talked about their first two years.

-Mercer Match list 2006

Baptist Health System Alabama 2 Internal Medicine
    University of Alabama-Birmingham Alabama 1 Anesthesiology
    Alabama 1 Ob/Gyn
    Alabama 2 Pediatrics
    U. Alabama School of Med.-Tuscaloosa Alabama 1 Internal Medicine
    Alabama 1 Family Medicine

St. Vincent's Medical Center Connecticutt 1 Radiology

University of Florida - Shands Florida 1 Psychiatry
    Florida 1 Surgery

Atlanta Medical Center Georgia 1 General Surgery
    Emory University Georgia 2 Internal Medicine
    Georgia 1 Radiology
    Georgia 1 Psychiatry
    Floyd Medical Center Georgia 2 Family Practice
    Medical Center of Central GA Georgia 3 General Surgery
    Georgia 4 Pediatrics
    Georgia 1 Ob/Gyn
    Memorial Health University Med. Center Georgia 1 Ob/Gyn
    Georgia 1 Internal Medicine
    Mercer University School of Medicine Georgia 3 General Surgery
    Georgia 4 Pediatrics
    Georgia 1 Ob/Gyn

John's Hopkins Maryland 1 Anesthesiology

Pitt County North Carolina 1 Emergency Med.
    Wake Forest North Carolina 1 Internal Medicine

Greenville Hospital South Carolina 3 Internal Medicine
    South Carolina 2 Pediatrics
    Medical University of South Carolina South Carolina 1 Radiology
    Palmetto Health South Carolina 1 Ob/Gyn
    South Carolina 1 Emergency Med.
    Spartanburg Regional Care South Carolina 1 Family Medicine
    Trident Medical Center South Carolina 1 Transitional-MUSC

Baptist Memorial Tennessee 1 Radiology-Diagnostic
    East Tennessee State Tennessee 1 Surgery
    University of Tennessee-Memphis Tennessee 1 Ob/Gyn
    Tennessee 1 Medicine-Preliminary
    Tennessee 1 General Surgery
    University of Tennessee-Chattanooga Tennessee 3 Surgery-Preliminary
    Tennessee 1 Pediatrics
    Vanderbilt University Tennessee 1 Anesthesiology
    Tennessee 1 Pediatrics

Eastern VA Medical School Virginia 1 Pediatrics
    Virginia 1 Otolarnyngology
    University of Virginia Virginia 1 Internal Medicine
    Virginia Commonwealth Virginia 1 Orthopaedic Surgery

So that's what I know about Mercer in a nut shell.

27. Doctor D

Medical Student
    Anyone know how many people apply EDP to Mercer? I am thinking if there are 4 on SDN there must 400 in real life :eek:

28. DEdm

Medical Student

#26 DEdm, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  29. godchaser1016

godchaser1016 godchaser1016

I too applied to Mercer EDP. I am a reapplicant who is currently waitlisted at Mercer. I just submitted my AMCAS yesterday. It seems like Mercer attracted a lot of qualified applicants this year. Good luck to everybody!!!

30. fahimaz7

Attending Physician
    Or, a lot of people that were under qualified last year! Jk.. But seriously, I think they get 100 EDP applications and take a good 40+

Best of luck. God knows I'm one that has been wait-listed before.

31. glamqueen

Medical Student
    Gadoctor - general info! Whatever you think we should know!

And you guys with the EDP chatter - you are scaring me! I really hope there aren't a million people applying EDP. *grimacing in fear*

32. Ty Webb

Ty Webb I like you Betty...

Medical Student
    Add me to the Mercer waitlisted in 2008/applying EDP in 2009 group

Last year they took 27 out of 57 EDP applicants...

Good luck everyone :thumbup:

#30 Ty Webb, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  33. DEdm

Medical Student

#31 DEdm, Jun 29, 2008
  34. GAdoc

GAdoc GAdoc

Resident [Any Field]

First, before I forget. Savannah campus will continue to admit only 30 students for the next few year. The problem is that the hospital is used to only about 20 students. They'll have to expand their clinical rotations program.

General info:

EDP is a double edged sword (as I found out). I would generally recommend it to any student UNLESS there is important information which will be added to your file during the period between applying EDP and finding out (usually August 1 - October 1). The reason is that the admission committee will rate your file for early decision. Should you not make the cut, your file will be rolled into the regular decision pool. Only problem is if you get new MCAT scores, new grades, new LOR, new shadowing, etc...they will NOT update your original rating. When I applied EDP my 2nd year, they were looking at my best MCAT to date (24N) when they rejected me. That was October 1...a wekk later, my new MCAT scores came in: 27P. It made no difference and I didn't get accepted.

Don't overdo the whole "serve the underserved" thing. You have to figure that the people who interview you are smart enough to know that YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW Mercer's mission. You won't score any extra points by telling your interviewer a sob story about how growing up in your 12,000 square foot Dunwoody home has given you an appreciation for the underserved. Based on the demographics of my class and the previous classes, it doesn't seem to hurt that you're from the metro area or from any urban area in Georgia. Now, if your file is equal in every other way to another applicant and he's from rural Ga and you're not, then yes, it might matter. This is a problem for those of you who really do have a heart for the underserved (and of course I'd hope all of you truly do since this is Mercer). What you'll have to do is figure out a unique way to get your point across.

When you write your practice vision statement for Mercer's secondary application, do so with caution. Again, you don't want to act like your goal in life has always been to become a general internist who works 120 hours a week at poverty level in Jerkwater, GA (unless that is your goal). Nor do you need to act that way. Your interviewer could just as easily be one of the two cardiothoracic surgeons on staff. Do you think they care? On the other hand, watch out about saying you've always wanted to be a dermatologist. Unless you can spin it as "the underserved town that I'm from desperately needs a dermatologist because we have primary care physicians coming out our ears" I'd be cautious.

Let me pause here to reiterate that I'm intentionally trying to be general. I'd hate to be accused of misleading anyone. If you have very specific questions, please PM me and I'll give you MY OPINION. I remember how it felt to be a pre-med. For two years I clung to every shred of hope I could get. I don't want to give anyone false hope.

When it does come interview time we can have a more detailed discussion on what to expect. I'll even re-extend last year's offer to meet with you before your interview to talk face to face about any questions you might have.

For now, the most pertinent thing is to know the ins and outs of the school you're applying to. Here are some key words to be thinking about:

-problem based learning
    -cases
    -study guide
    -BMP (biomedical problems)
    -phase
    -group
    -tutor
    -big sib
    -resources
    -MDE (multi-discipline exam)
    -SOCA (student oral case analysis)
    -pass-fail

If you are unfamiliar with any of these, please ask and I'll go into greater detail. I just don't want to write a novel about Mercer in one post. However, it is important that you understand how Mercer is different from every other medical school.

35. TheVerve

Pre-Medical
    applying to MCG and emory.. I am so glad that MCG doesn't ask for money on for their secondaries.... does anyone know what the essays were last year for MCG?

36. Whatayear

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree with GAdoc, don't be something your not. Believe it or not you can actually get into Mercer without saying all these things and being honest. For example I said in my practice vision statement that I was leaning toward becoming an pediatric intensivist. It was the main point of my statment and I went into several deatails about my experiences in the PICU. Granted I am still not sure if that is where I will end up, I may fall in love with rural county primary care and go in that direction. But by saying this in my statement it did not prevent me from being accepted. I will say thatI also said in my statement I was open to primary care in a rural area, so that may have softened the blow although it did come up in my interview, but my interviewer said it was not as big a deal anymore, they are more looking for people to stay in Georgia and that is the bottom line.

37. Whatayear

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh btw I'm an M1 (can I say that yet, lol) at Mercer in Savannah. Technically I am in limbo though because classes have not started yet but I am still going to say I am an M1 :cool:, lol. BTW GAdoc is awesome, he is extremely helpful and was a life saver on last year's thread and helped me personally through this crazy application process. Anyway just wanted to introduce myself to those that don't know me from the other thread. Good luck everyone.

38. Doctor D

Medical Student
    If you could please touch on the ones with thumbs up :D

39. GAdoc

GAdoc GAdoc

Resident [Any Field]
    -BMP (biomedical problems) = PBL?

Yes. The BMP, in a more broad sense is what we call the basic sciences of the first two years. It needs a name other than "basic sciences" because it runs in conjunction with two other programs, both unique to Mercer. One is Clinical Skills, the other is Community Medicine. Neither are as important as the BMP, but you are assessed in both. It may be important to know about both programs, so if you want a better description, we can discuss that in greater detail later.

-phase brief outline of phases pls

The BMP is divided into 12 "phases" spread over your first two years (6 first year, 6 second year). At a traditional lecture based school like MCG, the first semester of your first year might consist of 18 weeks of classes in Gross Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, etc. (not sure what all they take). At Mercer, every basic science phase is divided up and split over the 12 phases. Thus, even at the end of your second year you're still seeing biochemistry. Because the phases are geared towards a particular topic some are more heavily devoted to one, but all appear throughout your first two years. This has its ups and downs. Some argue that they'd rather learn 3 or 4 disciplines really well at one time rather than learn 10 or 11 in small chunks. I like it because when I get ready to review for boards I'm still seeing material that most students haven't seen in a year and a half.

-MDE (multi-discipline exam) *exams for PBL?

Exactly. Each phase consists of 9 or 10 disciplines. All will be tested. For example, Phase A (your first phase) will consist of biochemistry, cell biology, histology, pathology, physiology, pharmacology, genetics, microbiology, virology, and maybe a couple others. At any medical school, the amount rather than the inherent difficulty of the information is what's going to make or break you. At Mercer, the amount of material in any one discipline per phase is never that great but there are so man disciplines in which you must learn some about. Take your fourth phase, Hematology, for instance. Based on the name of the phase you can imagine how much you'll learn about blood, hematopoiesis, the cell bio and histology of blood cells, etc. Just about the time you realize you're starting to get all that, you realize that for path you need to know ALL of the leukemias and lymphomas. I'm talking age and incidence, predisposed populations, presenting symptoms, grading/staging, prognosis, how to recognize on Wright stain, and genetics/cell markers (for example, you'll need to know that Burkitt lymphoma is associated with an 8;14 chromosomal translocation).

40. GAdoc

GAdoc GAdoc

Resident [Any Field]

Oh yeah:

1. your "big sib" is the second year student you will be paired with to help you out in your first year. We give advice, but more imporatantly, notes which helped us. We can advise you on which resources to attend, which books to buy/not buy, and which disciplines need more and less time during a given phase.

2. SOCA: our exams for each phase are broken into two days. For you guys (first years) your MDE will be on Thursday. Your SOCA will be on Friday. For SOCA, you'll be assigned a time to show up at the school (sometime between 7:30 and 12:00). You're time group will consist of about 8 students. You'll go into a room and be given a case (similar to the cases you analyze during the phase). You'll have 45 minutes to write a presentation of the case (in SOAP format which you'll learn about). You'll then have 20 minutes to present your case to one faculty member. It's nerve-wracking and being required to dress up and wear your white coat doesn't make it any better. But, fortunately, a few years ago the LCME told Mercer they can not use the SOCA as part of the student's actual grade because it is too subjective. So, if you fail, all that happes is you have to watch the tape of your SOCA with the faculty who was grading you. My advice: dont' get too worked up over SOCA. If you've studied enough to pass the MDE, you'll probably not have to study much for SOCA.

41. gtdavis10

Pre-Medical
    Okay...so I have applied EDP to MCG, and now I'm trying to fill out my secondary. I'm stuck on the essay questions, and am trying to figure out how to answer them. As far as, how in depth do the answers need to be, how long it should be, etc. If I simply answer the questions, I'm looking at maybe a long paragraph for each. Is that enough? Anybody have any experience?

42. DEdm

Medical Student

#40 DEdm, Jun 30, 2008
  43. ruralmd

Resident [Any Field]
    I believe your response has to fill the space provided. You need to provide information in your secondary that you didn't give in the primary. I feel that a long paragraph will not suffice in this instance. My response was over half a page single spaced and it all fit with 12 point font (I may have used 11).

I too thought a well thought out long paragraph would be enough, but was advised by a number of individuals (professors and advisors) that more needed to be said. It got me an interview and my primary was in on Oct 30:scared: with the MCG secondary in two weeks later:scared::scared::scared:. Still got an interview.

Oh, and make sure you sign the last page and have in with the rest of the paperwork (I did this and my app wasn't looked at until Jan).

44. futuredrcrawfor

Pre-Medical
    gtdavis- would you mind sharing what the essays are for those of us applying regular decision who would like to start brainstorming?

45. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman

Medical Student
    my essays were handwritten, about a paragraph, and I would be willing to bet that they weren't read, other than a passing glance by my interviewers. That said, I did this because I was at MCG and I was trying to get my app in before a committee meeting. If I had even an extra day, you bet I'd spend a couple hours more typing and going into more depth. It seems tiresome and dull to fill out secondaries now, but if you do a shoddy job, you will have 3-5+ months of endless waiting to wonder over and over why you didn't spend that extra hour or two.

(but it probably won't matter :D)

46. Vihsadas

Vihsadas No summer
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    :hello:

MCG and Emory here, GA res!

47. dd128

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd fill in the space if you can, but don't just put in filler because you want to make it look like you had something to say. Do they have the 4 essays again? I believe I filled in the majority of the space of each essayexcept the one asking the locale where I see myself practicing in 10 years. I just couldn't think of that much to say for it. Overall each section had 2-4 medium sized paragraphs.

Bodonid is probably they'll only care about those essays if they are really good or really bad, other than that most people will be somewhere in the middle with them not contributing greatly to your app.

48. glamqueen

Medical Student
    Anybody received Mercer's secondary yet?

49. sunshine8i8

Pre-Medical
    whoa...! there really are lots of people applying to mercer
    any for emory? what do/did people think of secondaries/interviews? i heard they are group interviews? not sure what to think about that

50. DEdm

Medical Student

#48 DEdm, Jul 1, 2008
  51. sunshine8i8

Pre-Medical
    yeah... i'm kinda iffy on that one =x there are so amazing people out there. it's hard to work the group-interview dynamic, how to be a nice/sociable/humble person while knowing that you are being compared to the others in the group.

52. Doctor D

Medical Student
    I havent received it yet either. Does it come by mail? I am thinking about calling their office today to ask.