Georgia Applicants 2009 - MCG, Emory, Morehouse, Mercer, PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I find it interesting that of the 170 graduates of MCG there were 26 states and the District of Columbia represented in the match process. If you want more doctors to stay in Georgia there needs to be more resident spaces opened at the teaching hospitals. After medical school you are 26 plus years old and residency years are using some prime years for a doctor to settle into an area with marriage and children coming.

I think the residency programs would be a better place to capture additional doctors. Plus by this time they know if they are going to specialize and in what areas. JMO.

My daughter just graduated from MCG and she and 5 other MCG grads are heading to Wake. 6 doctors leaving the State of Georgia to do residency in North Carolina. It will be interesting to see how many come back to Georgia after residency.

From what they say at MCG they have about a 30% retention rate for graduates to stay in the state of Georgia. Once of the things that they are hoping to add soon are regional campuses that can support teaching residents. Columbus, Bainbridge, Gainesville are all sites that I have heard of that they are trying to get going for residency opportunities.

It's not just keeping the GA students in GA that would help... Getting out of state people here for their training would further the odds of having more physicians in the state.

Members don't see this ad.

From what they say at MCG they have about a 30% retention rate for graduates to stay in the state of Georgia. Once of the things that they are hoping to add soon are regional campuses that can support teaching residents. Columbus, Bainbridge, Gainesville are all sites that I have heard of that they are trying to get going for residency opportunities.

It's not just keeping the GA students in GA that would help... Getting out of state people here for their training would further the odds of having more physicians in the state.

:eek: Wow, I would have guessed over 50%, easy. That is horribly low! Do they list that kind of data in USNews or the MSAR?

I just checked, and that figure is right :eek:

What's more, Mercer's retention rate is 65%! :eek::eek: More than double MCG's.

Georgia should be funding Mercer's tuition, not MCG's!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked, and that figure is right :eek:

What's more, Mercer's retention rate is 65%! :eek::eek: More than double MCG's.

Georgia should be funding Mercer's tuition, not MCG's!

Where did you find that info?

actually, upon closer inspection, the data there suggests that 63% of those who have completed residency are practicing in Georgia. My bad. Anyone else?

I couldn't find the original figures that I posted about (will post them later if I can find) but comparable figures can be found here:

http://gbpw.georgia.gov/vgn/images/...8843Fact Sheet - GAs Medical Schools 2007.pdf

This seems to say that ~51% of MCG graduates stay in Georgia, so that is much better than the 30% estimate. Mercer still wins with 63% :D. I was actually surprised at the amount of Morehouse students stay in Georgia even though they don't have a state residency preference. And Emory is not very loyal, lol. But yeah it does seem that alot of people return to Georgia after residency.

actually, upon closer inspection, the data there suggests that 63% of those who have completed residency are practicing in Georgia. My bad. Anyone else?

It's like this...

1/3 of graduated physicians stay in the state they graduated.

2/3 of residents stay in the state they trained in.

Why? Who wants to train in say Oregon, after graduating from MCG and then move after 5-7 years, with their family, back to a new city after they are all set up? I don't.. That's why all the schools in the state are looking to have more residency spots in all fields of practice.

PS. I got my info from my interviews over the past two seasons.

MCG has broken it down as to where you do the residency as well. Say for instance, if you train in NC, TN, AL, and FL then you are more likely to return to the state. Maybe 1/3 of them return to GA... Can't remember the specifics. But, it was broken down into regions as well.

I especially like how the GA school applicant thread has moved to here, Georgia applicants 2009...

same players, different year

Mercer secondaries are in...sorta.

Did everyone get the email from mary?

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
In the same day I get secondarys and MCAT scores back. I think my app. process just went from 5 mph to 500 mph.

In the same day I get secondarys and MCAT scores back. I think my app. process just went from 5 mph to 500 mph.

Hopefully the MCAT went well for you. I know that's a fun day if you do well.

I would just like to say I am re-applying to Mercer as well for early decision, and I am familiar with the old thread, but I guess I'll join in on this new one now...good luck to everyone.

I wonder when both schools will start their EDP interviews? I'm guessing mid-August?

have any non EDP applicants received a secondary from MCG?

I went and took the "closer-look" tour at MCG on friday. It wasn't done very well. They constantly took us to a destination, we circled around, and they told us all about said destination; what was inside, hours, what the did there, blah blah, but they never took us in to see ANYTHING, so that was pretty gay. If anyone was thinking of taking this tour, just wait for an interview tour, its bound to be immensely better. But I liked the school overall:thumbup:

have any non EDP applicants received a secondary from MCG?

I went and took the "closer-look" tour at MCG on friday. It wasn't done very well. They constantly took us to a destination, we circled around, and they told us all about said destination; what was inside, hours, what the did there, blah blah, but they never took us in to see ANYTHING, so that was pretty gay. If anyone was thinking of taking this tour, just wait for an interview tour, its bound to be immensely better. But I liked the school overall:thumbup:

say what, homeboy? The interview tour was exactly the same. I even had the exact same guy do my interview tour. Not many med students do the closer look tour. It is mainly nursing students and their parents. Any tour you have at MCG is probably going to be slapped together, they just don't care much about appearances. They have other selling points (low tuition), so I can kind-of see why.

say what, homeboy? The interview tour was exactly the same. I even had the exact same guy do my interview tour. Not many med students do the closer look tour. It is mainly nursing students and their parents. Any tour you have at MCG is probably going to be slapped together, they just don't care much about appearances. They have other selling points (low tuition), so I can kind-of see why.
I've always found tours of universities a little silly. A classroom is a classroom, a lab a lab. Often turns into a battle of who does better landscaping...which, if you ask me, are funds better spent lowering tuitions.

I got my MCAT back today. 30Q 12 PS 11 BS 7 VR:scared:

Anyone know if this verbal score is going to hurt me at Mercer? Thanks.

Last edited:
I got my MCAT back today. 30Q 12 PS 11 BS 7 VR:scared:

Anyone know if this verbal score is going to hurt me at Mercer? Thanks.
Hey Dr. D

Great scores in ps and bs, congrats. I think GA doc knows more about this, i can't remember if the cutoff for mercer was 7 or 8, but with an overall of 30 it seems you should be well over the mark? Well over their average?

Last edited:
my roomate scored a 7 in PS and our premed advisor here at UGA (who has been advising students/watching the outcomes for 20 years here) advised him to go ahead with an EDP to Mercer instead of MCG and to not feel like he had to take the MCAT again unless he just wanted to. Based his massive knowledge and experience in the area I'd say he wouldnt advise my roomate without knowing a 7 can cut it in a section at mercer. :thumbup:

I got a 30R (virtually the same score) with a verbal of 8. I am also worried about the verbal, but we are fairly strong in the sciences and the writing so I guess it shouldn't be an issue.

I got in with an 8 in verbal (regular admission). They did not even mention it in my interviews (Mercer, MCG, UT-Memphis), so I think it is safe to say that you will be okay. I had a 28O so being two points higher I am sure will more than compensate for the lower verbal. BTW congrats to both of ya'll on the great scores.

Thanks. I guess I am just a nervous premed (aren't we all?). Going to call Mercer tomorrow to make sure there isnt a cutoff.:thumbup:

Thanks Whatayear for the confidence. It just seems as if nothing is good enough to get into medical school sometimes

I just checked over the MDapplicants website and Doctor D and I are the only ones that are applying to Mercer EDP. I know there are many more but none of them seem to use MDapplicants.

Hey Dr. D

Great scores in ps and bs, congrats. I think GA doc knows more about this, i can't remember if the cutoff for mercer was 7 or 8, but with an overall of 30 it seems you should be well over the mark? Well over their average?

If Mercer follows the trend from years past, they'll probably make the first calls for EDP interviews towards the end of July. I wouldn't even think about it before then - just focus on getting everything submitted and CALLING to make sure they have everything you need. Med schools (yes, even Mercer) are notorious for just "not getting" your stuff and then not bothering to tell you about it.

As far as MCAT...congrats to the two of you with 30s. I don't think your VR sections will be a liability (and with an overall score of 30 I can gurantee your interviewer won't either though you should be prepared for him/her to act like it is). Obviously, if English is your second language you will probably not have to explain much. If you are asked, just be ready to give a short (non-whinny) explanation.

The rumor is that Mercer is upping the cut-off on MCAT this year. That may be true, they don't tell the students things like that. I've heard MCAT scores such as a minimum of 24 for consideration being thrown around. For what its worth, I heard the same thing the three times I applied. I applied EDP all three times and was granted an interview all three times. My MCATs were (in chrono order): 24, 22, 27. As I've mentioned, one guy in my class got in via EDP with a 21. I don't say that to give false hope, just to let you know that you can't always believe what you hear (though it may very well be true). I would also suggest that the number of applicants to medical school hasn't drastically increased between last year and this year but the number of seats in Mercer's class has increased by 30 (Savannah Campus)...so why would they need a stricter cut-off? Just my thought.

Anyway, good luck.

The rumor is that Mercer is upping the cut-off on MCAT this year. That may be true, they don't tell the students things like that. I've heard MCAT scores such as a minimum of 24 for consideration being thrown around. For what its worth, I heard the same thing the three times I applied. I applied EDP all three times and was granted an interview all three times. My MCATs were (in chrono order): 24, 22, 27. As I've mentioned, one guy in my class got in via EDP with a 21. I don't say that to give false hope, just to let you know that you can't always believe what you hear (though it may very well be true). I would also suggest that the number of applicants to medical school hasn't drastically increased between last year and this year but the number of seats in Mercer's class has increased by 30 (Savannah Campus)...so why would they need a stricter cut-off? Just my thought.

Not to contradict you GAdoc, because you know I think your cool :cool:, but I spoke to Mary Putnam about the MCAT cutoff and she said it would be at minimum 24, possibly 25. At the time they had not decided but I confirm through her that the minimum last cycle was indeed 24. She did not mention any section requirement, like at least an 8 on all three, so I would not worry about that. However I feel that as long as you make the cut off the MCAT is not that big of a deal. Especially at Mercer. They really look at the whole applicant and evaluate in that manner. I really think the MCAT is one of those hoops that as long as you make it through you will be just fine.

Last edited:
Not to contradict you GAdoc, because you know I think your cool :cool:, but I spoke to Mary Putnam about the MCAT cutoff and she said it would be at minimum 24, possibly 25. At the time they had not decided but I confirm through her that the minimum last cycle was indeed 24. She did not mention any section requirement, like at least an 8 on all three, so I would not worry about that. However I feel that as long as you make the cut off the MCAT is not that big of a deal. Especially at Mercer. They really look at the whole applicant and evaluate in that manner. I really think the MCAT is one of those hoops that as long as you make it through you will be just fine.

I stand corrected. Maybe the rumors I heard during my application cycles finally came to fruition. Though, for the life of me I can't figure out why Mercer would do this. In all honesty, even limiting the MCAT to >24 or 25 means they are making a trade-off between numbers and the "whole applicant". While must of us can't even fathom being admitted with an MCAT of 24 there are some great doctors and current medical students who would not be where they are if some school didn't consider them. As I've repeatedly mentioned on this and other forums, I have a friend in my class who's doing great and got accepted with a 21. I have a friend who will be a 4th year this year who got in with a 24 and scored in the 99th percentile on step I of the boards.

I'll be honest, it's tough on me as well to hear that people are admitted with scores like 21 knowing I was rejected for two years with scores of 24 and 22. But, the bottom line is (as you'll soon find out) the MCAT will NOT predict your success in med school. Do you know how many of my classmates have even asked for my MCAT score? None. In fact, some of the most embarrased people were a few of my classmates who went into last year bragging about their 30+ MCATs only to fail or do poorly on the first exam.

I write this not so much as a reply to Whatayear but just a general caution that the world of the pre-med counts for nothing on your first day of medical school! At your whitecoat ceremony it feels as if someone's fixing to hand you a scalpal and send you to the OR. But oh the fun that awaits you the next day...."it was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

Skymastre, this may sound like a random question but it says that you are from Boston. Did you go to school in GA?
Hey there,

Yea, I went to school and live in Atlanta. I'm doing a bit of consulting work in boston while working for the cdc, so have found myself back and for a lot.

a while back I had an argument on here w/ someone (silly I know) about all people deserving an equal chance at succeeding in life, regardless of what SES they were born into. As petty as it was, I decided to use the location of boston to help drive home the point-Romney or Obama, sanity is what really counts.

I know, weak. I couldn't resist the troller. I should change back to ga one of these days

Hey there,

Yea, I went to school and live in Atlanta. I'm doing a bit of consulting work in boston while working for the cdc, so have found myself back and for a lot.

a while back I had an argument on here w/ someone (silly I know) about all people deserving an equal chance at succeeding in life, regardless of what SES they were born into. As petty as it was, I decided to use the location of boston to help drive home the point-Romney or Obama, sanity is what really counts.

I know, weak. I couldn't resist the troller. I should change back to ga one of these days

Yeah I figured you lived in Georgia because of how strict Mercer is with instate policies. Boston is a real nice place though.

While I am thinking about it, I know people have gotten the email from Mary Putnam telling us what the essays are going to be, but when is the actual secondary supposed to come in? Has anyone gotten it by any chance?

So I'm applying to medical school this year (Mercer, MCG, and MAYBE Emory). My application is pretty strong minus my MCAT score. In fact, I feel the biggest reason I wouldn't get into medical school is because of my MCAT score (25N). Hopefully, the rest of my application will out shine my horrid little mcat score. Anyway, in case I don't get accepted this year, do any of you have suggestions on what I should do during my year off besides post-bac? What would be the best way to strengthen my application further during that time? I'd really like to get some clinical experience abroad, but I know it's really expensive and I'm not sure if I'd have enough time to do it while I'm reapplying to med schools. What do you guys think?

So I'm applying to medical school this year (Mercer, MCG, and MAYBE Emory). My application is pretty strong minus my MCAT score. In fact, I feel the biggest reason I wouldn't get into medical school is because of my MCAT score (25N). Hopefully, the rest of my application will out shine my horrid little mcat score. Anyway, in case I don't get accepted this year, do any of you have suggestions on what I should do during my year off besides post-bac? What would be the best way to strengthen my application further during that time? I'd really like to get some clinical experience abroad, but I know it's really expensive and I'm not sure if I'd have enough time to do it while I'm reapplying to med schools. What do you guys think?
Some type of service that you are passionate about.

You really need to read the last few years of posts and follow those of us that have applied several times. A 25? Don't bother with MCG and Especially Emory - your score is below the cutoff (I heard 27 for MCG last year - does anyone know someone that got in with a lower score?). I know two people last year that had a 32 and a 37 (the 32 got into MCG off of the wait list) - the 37 did not get an interview. Scores are an unpredictable indicator of the applicant as a 'whole'. I had a 27 and did not get into Mercer (regular decision). Last year the competitive pool at all the schools was hovering around the 30 range. (Emory's average is 33 I think).

This year I am applying EDP with much better MCAT scores. Good luck.

I know someone who got in this year(Mercer) with a 22 so they might be blowing smoke.

Last edited:
You really need to read the last few years of posts and follow those of us that have applied several times. A 25? Don't bother with MCG and Especially Emory - your score is below the cutoff (I heard 27 for MCG last year - does anyone know someone that got in with a lower score?). I know two people last year that had a 32 and a 37 (the 32 got into MCG off of the wait list) - the 37 did not get an interview. Scores are an unpredictable indicator of the applicant as a 'whole'. I had a 27 and did not get into Mercer (regular decision). Last year the competitive pool at all the schools was hovering around the 30 range. (Emory's average is 33 I think).

This year I am applying EDP with much better MCAT scores. Good luck.

I actually called the admissions office of both MCG and Mercer concerning my mcat score and neither told me of any cut off score. In fact, the person I talked to at MCG said there was no cut off score. It even says it on the admissions website. He told me that it all depended on your application as a whole, not just your scores, so I should try any way and see what happens. The lady I talked to at Mercer (Mary Putnam) told me just about the same thing. She said everything else about my application seems very competitive so there should not be any reason why I shouldn't try. Applying to medical school seems like one big gamble to me. You could have the best mcat score or gpa out there and still not get in. Randy (the guy I talked to from MCG) said that there were a few people who scored in the 40's last year that applied and didn't get accepted. Even my Kaplan instructor who scored in the 90th percentile didn't get accepted to any school he applied to. Sooo..I guess it's all really just about selling yourself and showing your true colors through ways other than numbers. But I'm not gonna lie...having a better score would definitely help.

Anybody know when to expect action if you are an EDP for Mercer (after secondaries go live)? As in - when should we expect interview invites, earliest acceptances etc? I'm just curious how this process goes timewise when you are an EDP. You know, so I can sit and agonize and nailbite even more...:)

Does anyone know when we are supposed to get Mercer's actual secondary application? August 1st is just a couple of weeks away...

Hola everyone. I'm doing EDP for MCG. First off, I want to wish everyone the absolute best of luck for this cycle. Secondly, please don't let a poor MCAT score discourage you. These schools are looking for future physicians and one number doesn't say anything about a person's aptitude for the profession. If all they wanted were numbers, then personal statements, ECs, letters of recommendation, and all the rest of that jazz wouldn't play a part in the process. But in reality they all do. They are all part of a very big and complicated puzzle. That's why more times than not, a med school won't come out and say they have certain cutoffs. So many things are taken into consideration. Have faith that you have put in the effort to paint as vivid of a picture of yourself to adcoms, and they'll see you for you, regardless of any numbers.

Paz,
Alex

Is this just me who thinks Mercer's essay questions are pretty hard?
It really makes me think. But, I think it's better than the vision statement though because it gives more ideas about each applicant.

In a couple of weeks, we (MERCER EDPers) should be done, except intervievw. Take a deep breath and smile everyeon.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. Maybe the rumors I heard during my application cycles finally came to fruition. Though, for the life of me I can't figure out why Mercer would do this. In all honesty, even limiting the MCAT to >24 or 25 means they are making a trade-off between numbers and the "whole applicant". While must of us can't even fathom being admitted with an MCAT of 24 there are some great doctors and current medical students who would not be where they are if some school didn't consider them. As I've repeatedly mentioned on this and other forums, I have a friend in my class who's doing great and got accepted with a 21. I have a friend who will be a 4th year this year who got in with a 24 and scored in the 99th percentile on step I of the boards.

I'll be honest, it's tough on me as well to hear that people are admitted with scores like 21 knowing I was rejected for two years with scores of 24 and 22. But, the bottom line is (as you'll soon find out) the MCAT will NOT predict your success in med school. Do you know how many of my classmates have even asked for my MCAT score? None. In fact, some of the most embarrased people were a few of my classmates who went into last year bragging about their 30+ MCATs only to fail or do poorly on the first exam.

I write this not so much as a reply to Whatayear but just a general caution that the world of the pre-med counts for nothing on your first day of medical school! At your whitecoat ceremony it feels as if someone's fixing to hand you a scalpal and send you to the OR. But oh the fun that awaits you the next day...."it was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

While it was not directed at me, I just want to clear up that I hate the MCAT. I do not feel anyone should be judged by their MCAT score and feel it is a biased and a somewhat unfair assessment of the applicant. I know so many people who will make great doctors but they just need to clear this one hurdle. It is a shame to see these people struggle when they have great ECs, great GPA, and really have their heart in the right place. Anyway I just wanted to make sure I was not mistaken for someone who thinks the MCAT is a good judge of med school success because I don’t. I plan on attempting to forget my score and pretend the whole thing did not happen, lol. I agree GAdoc about Mercer looking at the “whole applicant.” It is a great thing for a med school to do and should be the norm. This attitude was one of the reasons I picked Mercer over MCG. I can tell you though going through the cycle with the 24 cutoff at Mercer, their heart is still in the same place; they still look at the whole applicant. Why they raised the limit I don't know, perhaps they have begun receiving a lot more applications and need a smaller pool to work with. I think (and feel my application/interview experiences support this) the MCAT can only harm you not help. You do not get in because you reached a "golden score" Maybe if you get a 45, but come on that is not going to happen, lol. It is just a hoop to jump thorugh, a box to check off. It has to been done successfully of course, but in the end a med school will not accept you based solely on your MCAT. They are looking for good compassionate doctors IMO. Not computers who can churn out massive amounts of knowledge. I honestly think that if a applicant with a 38 applied to Mercer, it would raise more flags than one who applied with a 25 (or depending on the cutoff 26).

I know someone who got in this year(Mercer) with a 22 so they might be blowing smoke.

Perhaps, but it was Mary Putnam who said this to me. I do not doubt your story, maybe an exception was made? I feel pretty confident that this is Mercer's new MCAT standard because I asked her in the context of a friend's decision to apply to Mercer. I don’t see her lying to me when a friend’s application is at stake. I also personally know a guy who attended Mercer, had one of the highest GPAs in the biology department and was not even looked at because he scored a 24. Like I said it is not that I doubt your story at all, but I was just stating what I had been told.

BTW I am pretty sure that MCG does not have an MCAT cutoff. I know of at least one person that was accepted with a 26.

Anybody know when to expect action if you are an EDP for Mercer (after secondaries go live)? As in - when should we expect interview invites, earliest acceptances etc? I'm just curious how this process goes timewise when you are an EDP. You know, so I can sit and agonize and nailbite even more...:)

Things have changed with the MCAT and probably with the format of the secondary application since I last applied to Mercer. However, they'll more than likely start making phone calls to schedule interviews during the first couple weeks of August. The first interview group will likely be the very end of August or first of september. Interviews are scheduled for Tuesdays and Thursdays (at least they have been in the past).

I was notified of my acceptance via phone call on September 14. But, that's not typical. The school legally has to let you know by October 1 (or post-mark your rejection by that date).

Word of advice: be sure the phone number on your AMCAS is the one where you can be reached because Mercer communicates more by phone than by any other means. If you have a cell that you keep with you, I'd call Mary and give her that number.