This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FluffyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any information about this program? Know anyone who has completed the program or is currently enrolled?
biology.gsu.edu/masters-biology-medical-science-mbms-concentration/

I already applied but I’m having to decide between this and a few other programs.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I know this probably won’t help you at this point, but I'm replying for anyone else who might stumble across this post like I did. I am currently a student in this program. I can 100% say that it is THE BEST option for a program like this. Here's why:

1. One of the directors of the program, Dr. Eilertson, is a phenomenal resource for students trying to get into med school. She teaches at a level just below that of med schools, but well above that of undergraduate, nursing, or graduate work. She has specifically designed her courses to emulate med school classes and content; the content she teaches is well beyond what your competitors will have taken. Her classes are HARD, we're talking one of her classes is the same amount of work as a full course load hard. I have taken all 4 of her classes and I learned more from them than the rest of my education combined. She teaches applied medical physiology, surgical (human cadaver!!!) anatomy, orthopedic trauma, and pathophysiology. Those last three are med school classes your competitors will not have had access to. You can talk about them in your essays and interviews, and they will make you stand out. To give you an example, I taught 3rd year med students some of the things I learned in her classes while I was shadowing. Even they hadn’t covered the material yet. The attending was impressed

From her classes I have learned how to read: X-rays, CTs, MRIs, blood and metabolic panels, antibody panels, spirometry, EKGs, urinalysis, a little bit of ultrasound, and the list goes on. I also learned to conduct and interpret physical and neurological exams. Beyond that, I have learned which tests to order at appropriate times based on patient symptoms, and how to DIAGNOSE PATIENTS with those tests. All of her courses and exams are case based, so you have to actively practice and apply what you’ve learned in order to do well. You will know after taking Dr. E’s classes if you actually want to go to medical school, and if you can handle medical school.

2. The other course offerings are all medically based, so they teach useful and interesting information. They will make you stand out from students coming out of undergrad with their basic sciences and a few electives. They show that you want to be there, and that you know what you’re getting into.

3. There are two clinical internships offered if you do well in Dr. E’s classes. One, you go spend two weeks shadowing in hospitals in Greece. You do rotations in different specialties, and you get to watch and SCRUB IN to surgeries. It’s basically the Atlantis program but better. The other, is taught at Atlanta Medical Center, and is a similar concept but it’s a semester long. Either of those will count as your capstone, so no research or paper required. As well, you get clinical hours and experiences to talk about.

4. They are very good about finding TA positions that will cover your tuition.

5. GSU is a fantastic research university that strongly encourages student involvement. If you need or want research experience, you will be able to find it.

6. Because the teaching is so extensive and in-depth, you will be far better prepared for med school than your peers. It will help you in med school once you get there.

Sorry this got long, but I hope it helps anyone who is interested in our program!

TLDR; We have medical teaching and clinical opportunities well beyond what medical schools will be used to seeing from applicants, even from this type of program.

I took courses along-side people in Dr. E's program and it looked miserable. I was a non-science major and had to do a postbacc to get into medical school, so I took a few of Dr. E's courses and they are hard. Medical schools don't care that you've mastered phys or pathophys before medical school. Yea the information is nice to know and it will help once you're IN medschool, but it will not help you actually GET INTO medschool. All medical schools care about is that you can get good grades, which is very hard to do in her program.

I was referred to her as a postbac premed and she was very non-supportive regarding my application to medical school. Dr.E stated that if I was trying to get into medschool without doing her "pReMeD mAsTeRs PrOgRaM" that I was never going to get into medschool and was wasting her time by trying to get advising. I said "screw that!!!" and laid out my own postbacc schedule that included some of her classes without the BS... Long story short, I was able to repair my GPA and get accepted into medical school with just postbacc classes (no masters necessary), while some of my classmates in her masters program were stuck taking very hard classes that would NOT help them on the MCAT or help their GPA... alas, most of them didn't make it to medical school when they could have had they not entered her program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took courses along-side people in Dr. E's program and it looked miserable. I was a non-science major and had to do a postbacc to get into medical school, so I took a few of Dr. E's courses and they are hard. Medical schools don't care that you've mastered phys or pathophys before medical school. Yea the information is nice to know and it will help once you're IN medschool, but it will not help you actually GET INTO medschool. All medical schools care about is that you can get good grades, which is very hard to do in her program.

I was referred to her as a postbac premed and she was very non-supportive regarding my application to medical school. Dr.E stated that if I was trying to get into medschool without doing her "pReMeD mAsTeRs PrOgRaM" that I was never going to get into medschool and was wasting her time by trying to get advising. I said "screw that!!!" and laid out my own postbacc schedule that included some of her classes without the BS... Long story short, I was able to repair my GPA and get accepted into medical school with just postbacc classes (no masters necessary), while some of my classmates in her masters program were stuck taking very hard classes that would NOT help them on the MCAT or help their GPA... alas, most of them didn't make it to medical school when they could have had they not entered her program.
The GSU MBMS program is an Academic Enhancement Program. This means the curriculum is designed to prepare you for medical school and make your application stand out. It is NOT an MCAT preparation program. The current data from the first 6 MBMS cohorts show a 91% acceptance rate into medical schools. That means that 91% of the MBMS graduates who applied to medical/PA/DO schools have been accepted. This is double the national average. Your review is inaccurate because you do not have the capability to tabulate the data and track student outcomes. Furthermore, I only advise students in the MBMS program and not students outside the program because GSU has a formal advisement office for premeds. To advise 2000 students single-handedly would be impossible, so I dedicate my time advising 30 students each semester. Unfortunately, post bacs (not GSU undergrads or grads) tend to be without any advisement support due to their short term status at our university. Many of the postbacs like yourself are career changers and just need the basic intro AMCAS required courses. GSU and CASA are trying to remedy the postbacc advisement for students like yourself. I question your parapharasing of my advice to you, if in fact this forum is real, because I treat all premed students in my classes with respect. I have been doing this for 20+ years and am proud of all the students who have matriculated into professional programs. So if you did take my classes and did get into medical school, I would call that a success!! Congratulations! Dr. E

Last edited:
I know this probably won’t help you at this point, but I'm replying for anyone else who might stumble across this post like I did. I am currently a student in this program. I can 100% say that it is THE BEST option for a program like this. Here's why:

1. One of the directors of the program, Dr. Eilertson, is a phenomenal resource for students trying to get into med school. She teaches at a level just below that of med schools, but well above that of undergraduate, nursing, or graduate work. She has specifically designed her courses to emulate med school classes and content; the content she teaches is well beyond what your competitors will have taken. Her classes are HARD, we're talking one of her classes is the same amount of work as a full course load hard. I have taken all 4 of her classes and I learned more from them than the rest of my education combined. She teaches applied medical physiology, surgical (human cadaver!!!) anatomy, orthopedic trauma, and pathophysiology. Those last three are med school classes your competitors will not have had access to. You can talk about them in your essays and interviews, and they will make you stand out. To give you an example, I taught 3rd year med students some of the things I learned in her classes while I was shadowing. Even they hadn’t covered the material yet. The attending was impressed

From her classes I have learned how to read: X-rays, CTs, MRIs, blood and metabolic panels, antibody panels, spirometry, EKGs, urinalysis, a little bit of ultrasound, and the list goes on. I also learned to conduct and interpret physical and neurological exams. Beyond that, I have learned which tests to order at appropriate times based on patient symptoms, and how to DIAGNOSE PATIENTS with those tests. All of her courses and exams are case based, so you have to actively practice and apply what you’ve learned in order to do well. You will know after taking Dr. E’s classes if you actually want to go to medical school, and if you can handle medical school.

2. The other course offerings are all medically based, so they teach useful and interesting information. They will make you stand out from students coming out of undergrad with their basic sciences and a few electives. They show that you want to be there, and that you know what you’re getting into.

3. There are two clinical internships offered if you do well in Dr. E’s classes. One, you go spend two weeks shadowing in hospitals in Greece. You do rotations in different specialties, and you get to watch and SCRUB IN to surgeries. It’s basically the Atlantis program but better. The other, is taught at Atlanta Medical Center, and is a similar concept but it’s a semester long. Either of those will count as your capstone, so no research or paper required. As well, you get clinical hours and experiences to talk about.

4. They are very good about finding TA positions that will cover your tuition.

5. GSU is a fantastic research university that strongly encourages student involvement. If you need or want research experience, you will be able to find it.

6. Because the teaching is so extensive and in-depth, you will be far better prepared for med school than your peers. It will help you in med school once you get there.

Sorry this got long, but I hope it helps anyone who is interested in our program!

TLDR; We have medical teaching and clinical opportunities well beyond what medical schools will be used to seeing from applicants, even from this type of program.
Thank you for the detailed review! Dr.E.

Anyone have any information about this program? Know anyone who has completed the program or is currently enrolled?
biology.gsu.edu/masters-biology-medical-science-mbms-concentration/

I already applied but I’m having to decide between this and a few other programs.

Thank you in advance!
This may not be very helpful since I haven’t done the program. But, I know someone who did it and she’s about to start medical school in the fall.

Reactions: 1 user