get media involved about AMCAS difficulties--media contacts inside

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jmejia1, Jun 26, 2001.

1. jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

you can go to the following site:http://www.mediawhoresonline.com/contactinfo.htm
    there you can link up to major news papers and other forms of media. be honest about your experiences and concerns.

2. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

my boyfriend is a med student and has a subscription to 'new physician' through AMSA. he got his latest issue yesterday and there was actually a little blurb about the difficulties with the new application, but it said that as of press time, there were NO glitches with the software!! i was like, WHAT?! when has there ever been a point where there was absolutely nothing wrong with the app?

3. OP
    OP
    jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

4. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

talk about biased journalism!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jennifer Zeigler

Jennifer Zeigler New Member

It's great to see everyone is getting so involved in this discussion about the AMCAS application. It certainly is an important topic at an important time.

Just to clarify a point made earlier: At the time The New Physician article was written in the beginning of May, the early problems with downloading the application had been worked out, according to AMCAS and verified by a student who had previously encountered difficulties. Because the magazine works with a six-week lead-time, the article was unfortunately on press by the time the submission glitches began appearing. Given this new development, we may be following up on this story in a future issue, so if anyone on the list is interested in being a source for it, please feel free to contact me at [email protected] I?d love to hear your stories about the application process.

Thanks so much and keep up the great discussion.

6. Spang

Spang SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

I don't know of any "dowloading" required for this year's application or how this supposed problem was fixed. I would be "interested" in the AMSA doing something to help us, in addition to writing about it.

Spang

7. caseyvib

caseyvib New Member

Every year people complain about how much the application proceedure sucks. I think this year is going to go down in history. But listen to this: My latest problem is I have a rather complicated but specific question that I need AMCAS to answer. I called yesterday and when I finally got through, the woman said she couldn't answer my question because she was a TEMP, and WE (yes she said we)have only worked there TWO DAYS! So she put me through to a supervisor. The supervisor's voice mail came on and said he would be out for the week and to leave a message. Then a recorded voice came on and said the voice mail box was full. I tried calling back today, and waited TWO HOURS when I finally hung up.
    What I would like to see is a letter from a group of applicants to JAMA, or another publication that people on the admissions committees will see, profiling the incompetence of the application this year and the frustration of the applicants. I don't believe that they will completely fix the bugs in the program, and I imagine that medical schools are having problems as well. The regular media has no idea what the application entails, but the medical media does.