Getting a C in a science course in first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sshung

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year UCSD student and I got straight A's in my first quarter. Second quarter, however, I got a C in lower division biology(Evolution and Ecology) and B+ in general chemistry. Because of that, my current GPA dropped from 4.0 to 3.25. Did any one get a C in a science course their first year and end up getting accepted to top medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a 4.0 first semester then 2 C's second semester.... had one more C before I graduated and I am in med school now- stay positive and study hard! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i got a C+ in neurobiology (sophomore) and a C+ freshman year in a gov class (first term), and did just fine. just gotta be able to explain it.

Your future is here!
map_caribbean.gif

.... No, you're really fine. Just try and do your best from here on out. A C won't kill you.

No, it has never happened in the history of people applying to med school. Of course it has happened. You will be fine.

See my signature for further detail.

Is it worthy to retake that class? I am thinking about retaking it just because I think I should do a lot better. The subject itself wasnt that hard at all instead I had problem with the teaching style of the professor.

It's not worth it to retake a class you got a C in because even if you do get an A it will average out to a B. Your better off doing really well in the next quarter of the series. At this point its important to understand what went wrong and how you went from a 4.0 to a 3.25. I'm a second year UCSD student and I'm just wondering what class did you get the C in?

It's not worth it to retake a class you got a C in because even if you do get an A it will average out to a B. Your better off doing really well in the next quarter of the series. At this point its important to understand what went wrong and how you went from a 4.0 to a 3.25. I'm a second year UCSD student and I'm just wondering what class did you get the C in?

I got a C in bild3 and also a B+ in chem6b cuz I effed up the final. I didn't count the 2 other classes I took this quarter cuz those grades are not up yet. So far out of the 5 graded classes my gpa is 3.25. (I took 3 graded classes last quarter and got straight A's).

But isn't an average of B still better than a C if I retake it?

I got a C in bild3 and also a B+ in chem6b cuz I effed up the final. I didn't count the 2 other classes I took this quarter cuz those grades are not up yet. So far out of the 5 graded classes my gpa is 3.25. (I took 3 graded classes last quarter and got straight A's).

But isn't an average of B still better than a C if I retake it?

Yes it is. But this is only your second quarter. I think you have more to lose than to gain, if you don't get an A it will only make it look worse. And assuming your a bio major, you will have plenty of chances to redeem yourself through upper-div classes.

Yes it is. But this is only your second quarter. I think you have more to lose than to gain, if you don't get an A it will only make it look worse. And assuming your a bio major, you will have plenty of chances to redeem yourself through upper-div classes.

Yea I am a Human Bio major. So does medical schools actually count both letter grades from same class? Would UCSD count the second letter grade into my overall GPA or ignore it?

Yea I am a Human Bio major. So does medical schools actually count both letter grades from same class? Would UCSD count the second letter grade into my overall GPA or ignore it?

I've never had to retake a course but I believe UCSD replaces the grade while I know for sure that medical schools will average out both grades.

You will be Ok OP. It is amazing how one bad grade can drop your GPA. I got my first C+ ever last quarter in clalc. At any rate, just recognize your mistakes and figure out what you need to do better.