Getting an MPH degree from USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2BeDentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about USC in regards to it's MPH program? Any experiences, insights, etc?

It is a CEPH accredited program, although it does not have it's own School of Public Health - but it's affiliated with its School of Medicine instead.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually IN the USC MPH program (combined degree for undergrad). I've taken 1 class from their program so far.
It's not that the program is not very great. Most faculties are really nice people. Class size could be small (the one I'm currently in only has like 14 people in the class so you can really get to know the prof very well).
It doesn't have its own PH school, but it offers a number of track concentrations. The program's usually prtty flexible so I know a lot of students switch tracks after getting into the program.
The program itself is ranked around 12 or 13 in year 2002 or 2003 (sorry i forgot :p).
However, I think if you aim to work for some large organization later on, perhaps a MPH from an acc. school will be better because that's the requirement for some jobs.
Many students intern during semesters too.
Let me know if you have other questions. I'll try...

Is it hard to get in to USC? I'm thinking of applying to Cal State Northridge. It will be easier and cheaper. What do you think? Thanks

I'm actually IN the USC MPH program (combined degree for undergrad). I've taken 1 class from their program so far.
It's not that the program is not very great. Most faculties are really nice people. Class size could be small (the one I'm currently in only has like 14 people in the class so you can really get to know the prof very well).
It doesn't have its own PH school, but it offers a number of track concentrations. The program's usually prtty flexible so I know a lot of students switch tracks after getting into the program.
The program itself is ranked around 12 or 13 in year 2002 or 2003 (sorry i forgot :p).
However, I think if you aim to work for some large organization later on, perhaps a MPH from an acc. school will be better because that's the requirement for some jobs.
Many students intern during semesters too.
Let me know if you have other questions. I'll try...

Members don't see this ad :)
Chibpan, actually the USC program IS accreddited. I checked ASPH website before I applied overhtere. :D

yes u are right. what i meant is it doesn't have a school of public health. I'm not exactly sure whether it matters when it comes to job applications either (i mean, whether it's program-accredited or school-accredited)

It's my concern too, I plan to apply to USC. Is there anybody have experience about getting a job in public health can tell us? Any idea will be appreciated.
Chibipan, could you please tell me more about the process to apply to USC.
Thanks

yes u are right. what i meant is it doesn't have a school of public health. I'm not exactly sure whether it matters when it comes to job applications either (i mean, whether it's program-accredited or school-accredited)

Is the USC program a 1 or 2 year program?

Are they still accepting applications?

Thanks.

Personally, I am not too hung up about getting into the topmost Public Health program in the country... I honestly think it shouldn't make a difference which program you attended as long as: 1.) the program is accreddited 2.) the school is well known.

IMHO, what ultimately matters is what you do when you're in a MPH program. Are you getting experience outside of the lecture? Are you part of any public health clubs? Any leadership positions you've held? Did you really put yourself out there when you are enrolled? I mean, think about it - when you've gotten your graduate degree, what will look more impressionable to an employer or even a pHD admission officer? A graduate student who's done a whole lot and has shown great commitment and passion towards public health, or someone who just went to Yale's School of Public Health, attended classes, did well enough to pass, and nothing else?

As far as I'm concerned, the USC program is good enough. So what if they don't have an actual school of public health? It is still an accredited two-year program at one of the most prestigious private institutions in the nation. That's good for me. :)

As for application, it's a very straight-forward application. Just go to the site posted above, and follow and submit information. It's a very straight forward application website.

Hope this helps.

It's my concern too, I plan to apply to USC. Is there anybody have experience about getting a job in public health can tell us? Any idea will be appreciated.
Chibipan, could you please tell me more about the process to apply to USC.
Thanks

I mean, think about it - when you've gotten your graduate degree, what will look more impressionable to an employer or even a pHD admission officer? A graduate student who's done a whole lot and has shown great commitment and passion towards public health, or someone who just went to Yale's School of Public Health, attended classes, did well enough to pass, and nothing else?

Hi,

Congrats on making your choice for USC. You'll have a great time down there, a couple of my friends were down there for undergrad and really had a great time.
Although what you say is true about commitment and passion towards public health studies, in respect to a PhD adcomm member, and knowing a couple personally myself (I work with two), where you come from definetly matters. Its the sad truth but this is what's already known throughout academia as there is a hierarchy of who goes where and to which PhD program. Granted, there will be many PhD programs that will take students, but those who are gunning for the top programs in the country (Harvard, JHU, UNC, UW, UMich, etc..) find that they will be in competition with the best and the brightest from all walks of life and all different schools...the truth of the matter is, acceptance into a good PhD program is as difficult as getting into a good medical school.

If an adcom has the choice between 2 students lets say one from "Prestigeous School A" and "Good School B"...the winner will mostly likely (and in the far majority) be the student who went to Prestigeous School A. This is just how academia works as most of those adcoms, if you look at their CV, have degrees from the prestigeous schools. I've done my share of looking and have found that I seem to ALWAYS be running into MPH/PhDs from the top 5 public health schools holding the majority of positions at Public Health schools.

The reality of the matter is, when applying to a PhD program, most students come into the application cycle at near even par with their competitors as most students have the same mindset of "getting out there, doing lots of community service, etc" but the only thing that will differentiate those students ultimatly comes down to empirical stats and where they went to school.

I'm not saying that USC is not a very good school. USC is very unique in it's service reach and the location. Some of the top hospitals in the country are in the region and some of the largest health disparities find their home on Southern California. You'll get to see things that other won't get to see on a day-to-day basis and you'll have a head start in many different aspects of PH studies while there.

Congrats and good luck!

Hi,

Congrats on making your choice for USC. You'll have a great time down there, a couple of my friends were down there for undergrad and really had a great time.
Although what you say is true about commitment and passion towards public health studies, in respect to a PhD adcomm member, and knowing a couple personally myself (I work with two), where you come from definetly matters. Its the sad truth but this is what's already known throughout academia as there is a hierarchy of who goes where and to which PhD program. Granted, there will be many PhD programs that will take students, but those who are gunning for the top programs in the country (Harvard, JHU, UNC, UW, UMich, etc..) find that they will be in competition with the best and the brightest from all walks of life and all different schools...the truth of the matter is, acceptance into a good PhD program is as difficult as getting into a good medical school.

If an adcom has the choice between 2 students lets say one from "Prestigeous School A" and "Good School B"...the winner will mostly likely (and in the far majority) be the student who went to Prestigeous School A. This is just how academia works as most of those adcoms, if you look at their CV, have degrees from the prestigeous schools. I've done my share of looking and have found that I seem to ALWAYS be running into MPH/PhDs from the top 5 public health schools holding the majority of positions at Public Health schools.

The reality of the matter is, when applying to a PhD program, most students come into the application cycle at near even par with their competitors as most students have the same mindset of "getting out there, doing lots of community service, etc" but the only thing that will differentiate those students ultimatly comes down to empirical stats and where they went to school.

I'm not saying that USC is not a very good school. USC is very unique in it's service reach and the location. Some of the top hospitals in the country are in the region and some of the largest health disparities find their home on Southern California. You'll get to see things that other won't get to see on a day-to-day basis and you'll have a head start in many different aspects of PH studies while there.

Congrats and good luck!

It's pretty sad but I couldn't agree more. However, don't discount the variation in quality of individual concentrations at SPH, there are some schools in the B category whose MPH concentrations are far better funded than those schools in category A. Still, for PhD programs in PH I think this is a very accurate assessment.