Getting in by "connections"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh, and I did not mean to stoke the fires of any AA/legacy flame war.

Personally, I did not feel any ill-will towards those who got in ahead of me. Might that have changed had I not been lucky? ;) Good thing I never had to find out...

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by skiracer123

Ask the ER doctor you volunteer next to if he wants to have lunch some time.
[/B]

Haha, yeah right. The docs in the ER I volunteered in barely acknowledged my existence when I said hello to them each day. I was lucky to get a nod or half smile. Anyway, just thought that was funny.

Well, I am a 4th year med student about to graduate. I have been through 2 major application cycles...first for med school and then for residency. I can tell you all, without any doubt, that connections become more and more important the further you get in your education.

There are a number of students in ym class whose parents went to med school here. Coincidence? Maybe.

And when you get to residency selection... jeezus. Connection city. Some people in my class were doing research with docs from day one. Without exception, these were the students who did the best in the match as far as matching at great programs. They went to national meetings and met all the right people, maintained their contacts. One of my buddies went in to neurosurgery (which is a very small field and HIGHLY competitve). He was an average student, but became great friends with the neurosurg dept. He was told about 1 month before the match results came out where he was going to be. THe chairman called him one afternoon and asked him if he was okay with a certain program (a pretty good one), and my friend said....um....yes. That was it. Ask your friends who are residents or 4th year students how important connections are. All it takes is one phone call from one important doctor to another, and your fate is sealed. That can cut both ways though so try not to piss anyone off.

My advice is to cultivate connections any way you can. They are KEY. You will find that your connections and your reputation will be two of the most important things that you will have as a practicing physician. As for med school admission... Yep, connections help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the whole ?wonderful personality and charisma? issue is addressed adequately and correctly by the LOR criteria.

No, legacy should not be a criterion. If your dad is an alum of HMS and yet you couldn?t make the grade with all of the advantages you had in life (big house, good school, good nutrition, etc), then you shouldn?t get another <b>unmeritorious</b> advantage through legacy. It promotes a self-perpetuating aristocracy. Class fluidity through merit is what makes America great. Legacy is a disgusting tool against class fluidity and merit.

All criteria for admissions should be open group, defined, achievable and relevant. Nepotism fails to achieve these standards.

I said this before, but I think some of you won?t be happy until the admissions process is as corrupt as a typical 80?s fly by night Latin American dictatorship and as ill-defined and fluffy as a Ms. America contest.

Originally posted by kam730
Haha, yeah right. The docs in the ER I volunteered in barely acknowledged my existence when I said hello to them each day. I was lucky to get a nod or half smile. Anyway, just thought that was funny.

That's what I was saying. Most people can't make connections well. Most people are 'lucky to get a nod or a half smile' from the doctors they work with. On the other hand, if you are someone who can get a conversation, a lunch or an LOR from the doctors you work with, that definitely shows something positive about you. If you have the charisma to get a doctor you work with to go to bat for you during the admissions process, I think that shows you have a pretty valuable skill, perhaps as valuable as a high MCAT or GPA.

On the other hand, if you are someone who can get a conversation, a lunch or an LOR from the doctors you work with, that definitely shows something positive about you. If you have the charisma to get a doctor you work with to go to bat for you during the admissions process, I think that shows you have a pretty valuable skill, perhaps as valuable as a high MCAT or GPA.

or perhaps you may actually be working with a nice doctor who cares about the people he/she is working with!

Originally posted by tms

That's a great statement in an ideal world...but why don't we ask those in the "No Acceptances Yet" thread if they would be fulfilled if they could get in via a connection.:D [/B]

I'm working it as best I can, that's for sure. As much as I would love to get in solely on my numbers (definitely fulfilling! :)), I'm doing all I can to make sure the adcoms know my qualifications - and that includes having/making connections that can report that I can do it. Making connections is a little hard for me, since I'm pretty shy. But, being queen wait-list, I'm doing all I can to give them a reason to let me in. Not that I'm having any luck yet (thus, my NAY status), but hopefully that'll change soon! :)
But I'm never going to play golf. Except for putt-putt. Not to offend any golfers. ;)

Originally posted by manta
Making connections is a little hard for me, since I'm pretty shy.

Yes, we introverts have it rough in this world where networking and interviewing is oh-so important.

Good luck on those waitlists.

Originally posted by lil pook
What does race have to do with being a doc anyway?? I just dont get it. We are all equally important anyway. Do you think if your Asian an Asian doc will treat you better than a white one or black one will?? Does anyone else see the ridiculousness of this??

i'll give you the color of a persons skin or the race of a person may not have much to do with being a doctor. but, going on your comment it seems like you must have only been in contact with people of various races who are pretty americanized - african americans who act like white people, asians who act like white people and so forth. or, they may not act like whites but be able to communicate effectively with them. but, that's not always the case. there can be huge cultural differences that without the proper education can lead to medical misunderstandings. a patient may feel less comfortable with a doctor who grew up worlds apart then themselves and may feel like they can't trust that doctor as readily. this hinders communication and the doctor patient relationship. this may not be as vital in some specialities such as surgery but it can be incredibly important in primary care.

i firmly believe that it is imperitive to have minority physicians because it's benificial to patients. i'm not saying that white doctors aren't good doctors to patients with different cultural backrounds then themselves. but, i am saying that a person who came from a similar background could make a better doctor.

i didn't used to think that how/where one grew up made any difference in the making of a physician. i didn't think that race played any important role in treating people. but it does - i see it every day in a family practice clinic.

i've had the opportunity to work in a very diverse city, serving a very diverse patient population. the better you are at understanding your patients the better chance you have at communication and treatment. i feel like you can't argue that someone who lived a cultural experience knows much more about it then someone who only studied about it or is sensitive to it.

Segregation.

Black doctors for black patients. Segregation for the benefit of blacks instead of segregation for the benefit of whites.

What an ironic and perverse twist of the civil rights movement.

Dancer--actually I have been to many different countries and the people I have seen/met don't act "white" (whatever that means). I can see that you are obviously still hung up on the idea that different races need doctors of their own "kind". I guess I just view the world with a deeper perspective--its just a shame that more people don't....and as long as this outdated and narrow minded view exists, we will never overcome racism.

Right??? Maybe all you "socially gifted" types should reconsider careers and pursue politics instead.:rolleyes:

this is what i hate about message boards. i obviously think that medicine is scientific and that doctors need to be intelligent in the sciences. that goes without saying and i didn't realize that i would need to actually go back to such a dumb and obvious point.:rolleyes:

however, it's not only about science. in many specialities physicians need to be good communicators as well as good scientists. i also do not believe that whites need to go to white docs, etc. but, if a patient is more comfortable and better understood with a doctor that understands their life experiences then they could receive better treatment. this is why we need all types of physicians.

Originally posted by dancer7
this is what i hate about message boards. i obviously think that medicine is scientific and that doctors need to be intelligent in the sciences. that goes without saying and i didn't realize that i would need to actually go back to such a dumb and obvious point.:rolleyes:

however, it's not only about science. in many specialities physicians need to be good communicators as well as good scientists. i also do not believe that whites need to go to white docs, etc. but, if a patient is more comfortable and better understood with a doctor that understands their life experiences then they could receive better treatment. this is why we need all types of physicians.

Maybe you could specify what you mean when you say "understands life experiences". Does medicine and science not transcend race? Isn't a disease a disease no matter if your'e black, white, red, or whatever? I can fully understand a patient perhaps feeling more comfortable with their own kind--that is just an unfortunate fact in society today...a view and way of thinking that we are in fact perpetuating with this whole notion of med school classes mirroring the diversity of the population. But I just dont get this whole experience thing. I mean, my doctor is black and do you think I feel hesitant to tell him about a problem because he might not have had the same experiences as I have and therefore might not "understand"? Sorry but that is pretty ridiculous.

Damn, I'm gonna get flamed...

Falmity flame flame flame :D

No you make a good point, that charisma is important. However the number of contacts you have doesn't necessarily directly relate to your charisma (goodness I sound like a D&D instruction manual, ahem). Some people are born with connections, and some people, albeit charismatic, have chosen the connections they want intentionally rather than in the spirit of good friendship.

The best judge of charisma is probably, unfortunately, in the 45 minutes the interview committee talks to you.

Originally posted by lil pook
Does medicine and science not transcend race? Isn't a disease a disease no matter if your'e black, white, red, or whatever?
Not quite. Being able to understand a patient's cultural background and how that may be affecting their health and life choices may help greatly in their treatment. For example, perhaps people from a certain region do not eat a certain food for religious purposes. If you were aware of that fact, then you might be better able to diagnose something that may be caused by a nutrient deficiency. If you were not familiar with that culture, it may take you much longer to realize what may be the problem.

Originally posted by truth617
Not quite. Being able to understand a patient's cultural background and how that may be affecting their health and life choices may help greatly in their treatment. For example, perhaps people from a certain region do not eat a certain food for religious purposes. If you were aware of that fact, then you might be better able to diagnose something that may be caused by a nutrient deficiency. If you were not familiar with that culture, it may take you much longer to realize what may be the problem.

Or perhaps if you're competant enough you would read up on your patient's culture or even better, just talk to them...amazing what a few minutes of discussion can do. Isn' that your job as a doctor anyway? I hardly think its necessary to share a similar backround with your patient in order to properly diagnose and treat them. I guess my black doctor just won't do should I ever get a white man's disease. gimme a break