Getting in trouble for following directions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just for the record - implying that someone has a learning disability for missing your convoluted point is rude. It also hampers your ability to communicate effectively. Just sayin'...

What is with you bustin my b---- on every post I make on here? I was personally referred to as an idiot, jackass, etc. before I implied someone had a learning disability for not being able to read and interpret a post at grade school level?? Seriously? Just sayin'...

Members don't see this ad.

What is with you bustin my b---- on every post I make on here? I was personally referred to as an idiot, jackass, etc. before I implied someone had a learning disability for not being able to read and interpret a post at grade school level?? Seriously? Just sayin'...

:smuggrin:

Don't feel bad.. buncha kids try to bust my chops all the time because they don't like what I write!

I am pretty sure I interpreted your post correctly. You said you had absolutly no regard for what the PIC wants in the pharmacies you float to. In fact you made it quite clear you do what ever the hell you want and could careless what the PIC says.

No one is harping on the Medguides. You started it by saying you throw them away and a PIC that makes you put them in the bag is a ego maniac, control freak pharmacist trying to alter the clinical decisions you make. I and several others have said following the law is not a "clinical" decision. You then back tracked and startred talking about the patient information sheets that print out.

As for this statement:

I get the global point of your posts. You feel it is fine to do whatever the hell you want and could careless what the PIC wants. My point is this, come into my pharmacy with that attitude and I have a big surprise for you. Respect goes both ways. You respect the PIC who is responsible for the operation of the pharmacy.

Point out exactly where I said I throw out the med guides. I tried to give you an out on this one in my last post. Quote the exact post, exact line. There was no backtracking. My very first post on this thread was post #28 where I specifically stated it is okay to throw out the worthless papers NOT INCLUDING THE MED GUIDES. How was that not clear? Literally 90% of your post between the med guides and new grad jab was based off of something I did not type. Hey, looks like you're finally ready to be captain of the debate team after all!

If you can't read and interpret a post or keep track of who posted what you should save some of the venom in your posts -- it makes you look like a complete *****, literally.

As far as having no respect for what the PIC wants, honestly in real life I'm not that hard to get along with, especially if I respect the person and they're not a total douchebag. On the other hand I will NEVER respect a PIC as a pharmacist or a person who writes a tech up for not stapling extra sheets (NOT INCLUDING MED GUIDES) to the bag when the PIC is not present (which was debated as to whether it was "clinical" decision by Old Timer who instead informed us that the extra non-med guide papers were "company policy" at CVS where he works). I extrapolated my point by implying that a PIC is a peer... I do not view them in the same light that I view a DOP or DM. Period. Sorry to hurt your feelings on that one.

Oh, and by the way, if your pharmacist/PIC abilities are anywhere near your reading comprehension abilities I'm not very surprised that you've had floaters through your store who have no respect for you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't feel bad.. buncha kids try to bust my chops all the time because they don't like what I write!

:laugh: Thanks Z, now I don't feel so alone out in the mean world of SDN...

Gawd, the levels of douchebaggery in this thread are approaching EPIC. It seems simple to me... the company OBVIOUSLY wants whatever is on those printed sheets of paper to be distributed to patients. Otherwise, why would they waste the paper/kill the trees? So why would someone knowingly refuse to comply? It's gotta be more effort to sort through them than to just put them in there.

And just b/c it's not "against the law" doesn't mean you don't have to do it. I mean, I absolutely HATE changing the receipt paper in the cash register so next time it runs out, I'm just gonna leave it. It may be company policy to give customers a receipt, but EFF THAT, I got better things to do, right?? :p

Gawd, the levels of douchebaggery in this thread are approaching EPIC. It seems simple to me... the company OBVIOUSLY wants whatever is on those printed sheets of paper to be distributed to patients. Otherwise, why would they waste the paper/kill the trees? So why would someone knowingly refuse to comply? It's gotta be more effort to sort through them than to just put them in there.

And just b/c it's not "against the law" doesn't mean you don't have to do it. I mean, I absolutely HATE changing the receipt paper in the cash register so next time it runs out, I'm just gonna leave it. It may be company policy to give customers a receipt, but EFF THAT, I got better things to do, right?? :p

Actually the aforementioned douchebaggery you mentioned revolves around a couple of apparently megalomaniacal PICs (Mountain/Old Timer) that can't read a post, interpret it, and respond to the actual information contained within it. It is like trying to have an argument with a couple of 5 yo kids.

The point of the post was to say the pharmacist on duty is responsible for everyone following the law and policies and procedures on his or her shift, right or wrong. If the DM has a problem, he or she can decide what to do with the pharmacist. Yeah I think the extra pages (non-med guide) are stupid -- so do the majority of pharmacists that work in retail. But that's not even the point.

The world is not black and white, I'm not sure what sector of pharmacy you work in, but you find me a retail pharmacist who never broke a policy or procedure knowingly and willingly, and I'll find you Atlantis.

Whatever happened to tht Epic guy? I miss him.

i heard he went looking for pink panther on a john deere... there were rumors of sighting of them thumb wrestling on mountain ranges of tibet.

Examples of warnings you might see on auxiliary labels:

• Call your doctor if you experience changes in mood, depression, or suicidal thoughts.
  • Do not take antacids within 2 hours of taking this medication.
  • Take this medication with plenty of water.
  • Herbal medications may reduce the effectiveness of this medication.
  • Consult your doctor before taking certain OTC products with this medication, as they may cause an adverse reaction.
  • May cause dizziness (or drowsiness)
  • Do not take this product with aspirin.

On my Celebrex, there was one that said "Do not lie down for at least 20 minutes after taking this medication." They did not put that one on the bottle. I was kind of pissed off about that, and called the RPh to let her know. I know I'm probably not going to die of a blood clot, but I would have liked to be informed about the risk. I try to be an informed patient, but from my experience, most patients aren't.

FYI, I believe the reason you're not supposed to lie down for at least 20 minutes after taking the medication is that it's very acidic and can irritate your esophagus. That's the reason why you're not supposed to lie down after taking Fosamax and all those osteoperosis meds. It's not a counseling point in Micromedex for Celebrex, but it does say it can cause stomach irritation.

It's the pharmacists' discretion what labels to put on, but some are more useful than others. Four print out with each of our Rx labels, and I like putting them on because it reminds me on points to counsel on. Levaquin increases your sensitivity of sunlight and shouldn't be taken with antacids or calcium... For cipro, it's the same but it's an even larger window to avoid the antacids... Plus, pointing them out makes it more likely they'll be used by the patient.

Last edited:
The point of the post was to say the pharmacist on duty is responsible for everyone following the law and policies and procedures on his or her shift, right or wrong. If the DM has a problem, he or she can decide what to do with the pharmacist. Yeah I think the extra pages (non-med guide) are stupid -- so do the majority of pharmacists that work in retail. But that's not even the point.

No, the responsibility does not flow from "pharmacist on duty" to DM. It's "pharmacist on duty" --> PIC --> DM so if the PIC wants the extra pages included, they should be included. The PIC is responsible for everything that happens in the pharmacy, whether he or she is on duty or not.

The world is not black and white, I'm not sure what sector of pharmacy you work in, but you find me a retail pharmacist who never broke a policy or procedure knowingly and willingly, and I'll find you Atlantis.

I work for the VA and before that for two different retail chains. Never as a pharmacist, as I'm still a student. The "everyone does it" excuse is beside the point. The OP of this thread asked whether he should follow the directions he's getting from his PIC. I agree with those who are saying that the OP should follow his PIC's instructions and let the "pharmacist on duty" sort it out with the PIC b/c the PIC is ultimately responsible.

No, the responsibility does not flow from "pharmacist on duty" to DM. It's "pharmacist on duty" --> PIC --> DM so if the PIC wants the extra pages included, they should be included. The PIC is responsible for everything that happens in the pharmacy, whether he or she is on duty or not.

I work for the VA and before that for two different retail chains. Never as a pharmacist, as I'm still a student. The "everyone does it" excuse is beside the point. The OP of this thread asked whether he should follow the directions he's getting from his PIC. I agree with those who are saying that the OP should follow his PIC's instructions and let the "pharmacist on duty" sort it out with the PIC b/c the PIC is ultimately responsible.

Oh really? So if your "pharmacist on duty" --> PIC --> DM hypothesis holds true then these three things must hold true as well:
1. The PIC is the one who hires the other pharmacist on duty at his/her store?
2. The PIC solely conducts the annual/biannual review and determines the subsequent salary raise for the other pharmacist on duty?
3. The PIC can fire the other pharmacist on duty at will?

The "everyone's doin' it" sentiment was not meant as an excuse but rather as a "people in glass houses..." statement.

As for the OP, all I can say is I feel sorry for them because the PIC they work under is a prime douchebag.

Last edited:
Oh really? So if your "pharmacist on duty" --> PIC --> DM hypothesis holds true then these three things must hold true as well:
2. The PIC solely conducts the annual/biannual review and determines the subsequent salary raise for the other pharmacist on duty?

Yes, really. Hiring policies and practices aside, my point (and the point others have been making) is that the PIC is LEGALLY responsible for everything that goes on in the pharmacy, including the actions of ALL staff members. Therefore, the PIC is charged with determining how the pharmacy is run, enforcing company policy, etc. Maybe it's different in your state, but that's how it works here.

Supreme douchebaggery would be a "pharmacist on duty" who says to the PIC, "You can't fire me or give me a raise (or whatever) so I don't have to do what you say, even though YOUR license is on the line for everything that happens in this pharmacy, including my actions." Yeah... that's the kind of pharmacist I'd want for my partner, whether or not I was the PIC or just a "pharmacist on duty." :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
The chain of command doesn't need to have anything to do with those. Your lead tech isn't in charge of the other techs in those ways either.

Sure both a PIC and all other rph report to the DM and are hired/fired by the DM, but the PIC is in charge of everything that goes on in a particular pharmacy. If by some convoluted logic you believe that the other rph doesn't fall under the jurisdiction of "everything that goes on" in the pharmacy, I believe you're beyond help.

The "everyone's doin' it" sentiment was not meant as an excuse but rather as a "people in glass houses..." statement.

As for the OP, all I can say is I feel sorry for them because the PIC they work under is a prime douchebag.

This shows how little you know about corporate retail management. All companies are different in their hiring, promotion and raise policies. Lets take a look at the company I work for. A recruiter hires all the pharmacists. Using your logic the recruiter then is a higher form of authority than the PIC or the pharmacy supervisor because they make the hiring decisions.
As the PIC I do the annual evaluations on my pharmacists and technicians. It does not have anything to do with their raise because raises are set by corporate and universally apply to everyone based on your position.
No one can universally fire anyone at a big corporation. Human resources takes the lead here. There are also policies and procedures that govern this. You bet your ass that I have a big say in it. I may not be able to fire you on the spot but If you are in my pharmacy ****ing up I can start the process that gets you fired. So using your logic human resources is a higher authority than the PIC and pharmacy supervisor since they ultimately are the ones who approve someone’s termination.
Your logic is extremely flawed. You are so green and inexperienced its laughable. The only one to feel sorry for in this whole thread is you. You don’t have a clue.

i heard he went looking for pink panther on a john deere... there were rumors of sighting of them thumb wrestling on mountain ranges of tibet.

I thought he was driving around in a motor home, looking for Walmarts to park in.

Hi all, OP here. We had a mini-meeting at work yesterday to clarify what needs to be included.

PIC reminded ALL of us that the federally mandated medication guides, (eg for estrogen-based products, isotretinoin-based products, benzodiazepines, etc) MUST be included. (AP had been tossing those as well)

And that's what my biggest question was. What are the penalties (if any) for omitting the federally-mandated medication guides, and WHO gets in trouble if that hammer ever drops? Hopefully, that situation will no longer happen, because it's been made clear now what needs to be included. Any deviation by AP now is just a blatant disregard of a direct order; AP can no longer claim ignorance.

From my experience of working with him, PIC is a really nice guy, a very competent RPh, and not a control freak or a jerk in any way. He's all about "Do things right to protect your license" not, "Do things this way because I SAID SO."

Also, our DM is EXTREMELY strict, and PIC is doing what he can to protect AP from ever incurring his wrath, which, I understand, can be brutal.

This shows how little you know about corporate retail management. All companies are different in their hiring, promotion and raise policies. Lets take a look at the company I work for. A recruiter hires all the pharmacists. Using your logic the recruiter then is a higher form of authority than the PIC or the pharmacy supervisor because they make the hiring decisions.
As the PIC I do the annual evaluations on my pharmacists and technicians. It does not have anything to do with their raise because raises are set by corporate and universally apply to everyone based on your position.
No one can universally fire anyone at a big corporation. Human resources takes the lead here. There are also policies and procedures that govern this. You bet your ass that I have a big say in it. I may not be able to fire you on the spot but If you are in my pharmacy ****ing up I can start the process that gets you fired. So using your logic human resources is a higher authority than the PIC and pharmacy supervisor since they ultimately are the ones who approve someone’s termination.
Your logic is extremely flawed. You are so green and inexperienced its laughable. The only one to feel sorry for in this whole thread is you. You don’t have a clue.

Okay, this post has drug on long enough. So final reply (barring any ridiculous responses):

1. Mountain/Old Timer (who I think bowed out) -- neither of you ever pointed out where exactly I backtracked as I reference in post #54. I have a difficult time taking you seriously if you can't partake in a logical debate involving actual quotations made after calling someone out and trying to talk down to them like a little kid. I personally think it makes you look silly. Whatever, I won't lose sleep over it.

2. I was not aware that recruiters/HR actually HIRED (read: made the actual decision to take someone into the company or not -- I know they may find and/or process the rph from applicant into an employee). Obviously at the height of the shortage employers would take anyone presented to them by recruiters/HR/PIC/etc. When the name of the game was promising sign-ons and vehicles and whatnot, the DM's consent was implied. Now that things have tightened I would assume the DM makes the final selection at the majority of companies. Barring an extreme incident (sexual harrassment / substance abuse / theft and beyond) I would highly doubt that a PIC could lobby HR to fire a pharmacist AGAINST the DM's wishes (for something like not stapling extra non-med guide papers to a label). I'm pretty sure a DM can fire an rph on the spot or through a series of writeups at most retail companies. Maybe your company is different, I don't know.

3. All4 (and Ackj) -- I really have to disagree with your assertion that a PIC is responsible legally for everything the pharmacist on duty (no quotes here for that POD!) does when the PIC is not present. We can nitpick details or hypothetical situations, but honestly I gotta think if you sit and think about it, or even comb the BOP discipline archives, you'd see the fallacy of that statement (think -- hypothetically every discipline would come in pairs)... and that logic is especially flawed with something as trivial as discussed in this post. But then again, the law was not even the point of the post as everyone agreed the med guides are necessary -- the real argument was the extra sheets which are just p&p. And if you stillllllllll disagree, again, whatever, it's cool.

4. Finally, I think everyone on both sides has had experiences with floaters or PICs, that make it difficult to separate and look at the situation objectively from an unbiased point of view. Maybe the type of pharmacist who told you they didn't care about your paper stapling policy, also happened to have a lot of other undesirable characteristics (and of course the corollary to that involving overbearing PICs) -- that's the vibe I get at least. In real life, I gotta think everyone involved in the post is mature enough to know which battles to pick when it comes down to it.

If you have something intelligent to add, cool, if you want to flame the post more, well... whatever...

Okay, let's take your arguments and destroy them one at a time.

1. Mountain/Old Timer (who I think bowed out) -- neither of you ever pointed out where exactly I backtracked as I reference in post #54. I have a difficult time taking you seriously if you can't partake in a logical debate involving actual quotations made after calling someone out and trying to talk down to them like a little kid. I personally think it makes you look silly. Whatever, I won't lose sleep over it.
I think a person who prides himself on reading comprehension, you certainly did not read the original post where the OP said the AP did not want them to give out:
"Drug information monographs print out and sometimes carry over to a 2nd page." This would be a corporate requirement.
"Also, a 3rd page sometimes prints, like "Important things you need to know about" [drug name] along with warnings and information." This is a description of the med guide and this is a legal requirement.

So basically there is NO GOOD reason for the AP to ask the tech do something that contravenes the order of the store manager. No clinical justification, no legal justification. There is NO reason that this material should not be dispensed and the tech should not assist the AP in violating the law and company policy. If the AP doesn't want to give the out, she can throw them away herself.

2. I was not aware that recruiters/HR actuallyA HIRED (read: made the actual decision to take someone into the company or not -- I know they may find and/or process the rph from applicant into an employee). Obviously at the height of the shortage employers would take anyone presented to them by recruiters/HR/PIC/etc. When the name of the game was promising sign-ons and vehicles and whatnot, the DM's consent was implied. Now that things have tightened I would assume the DM makes the final selection at the majority of companies. Barring an extreme incident (sexual harrassment / substance abuse / theft and beyond) I would highly doubt that a PIC could lobby HR to fire a pharmacist AGAINST the DM's wishes (for something like not stapling extra non-med guide papers to a label). I'm pretty sure a DM can fire an rph on the spot or through a series of writeups at most retail companies. Maybe your company is different, I don't know.

Every company has their own corporate structure. For the most part the district manager or pharmacy supervisor hires the pharmacists and places them in the store. Where you go off the rails is your lack of understanding of how the world works. Once the techs tell the PIC that what you are doing, the PIC will chat with you. If you insist on this, the PIC will be speaking to the Supe or the DM and sooner or later you will be transferred. After you get kicked out of a couple of places, the Supe/DM will send you to work overnights where you rarely get to interact with other humans. But sooner or later your I am the God of pharmacy and I don't have to follow the rules attitude will catch up to you and the boss will realize you are not worth the aggravation and then one of 10 bazillion people looking for a job will have yours. I have seen it happen many many times. The attitude you have is born of the time when they would higher anybody with a license (pulse was optional). Now there are many people hungry to have your job and for $50+ dollars per hour will gladly give out whatever paper the company wants.

3. All4 (and Ackj) -- I really have to disagree with your assertion that a PIC is responsible legally for everything the pharmacist on duty (no quotes here for that POD!) does when the PIC is not present. We can nitpick details or hypothetical situations, but honestly I gotta think if you sit and think about it, or even comb the BOP discipline archives, you'd see the fallacy of that statement (think -- hypothetically every discipline would come in pairs)... and that logic is especially flawed with something as trivial as discussed in this post. But then again, the law was not even the point of the post as everyone agreed the med guides are necessary -- the real argument was the extra sheets which are just p&p. And if you stillllllllll disagree, again, whatever, it's cool.
Again, having been around longer than you, I have seen a Pharmacy Manager get cited and fined by the board for actions taken by an employee pharmacist. In PA, it is required to place the exp of the drug on the label if the exp date is less than one year from the dispensing date. We had an RPh who did not want to do this and so we failed a routine inspection and had 30 days to fix the violations. Same thing on the re-inspection. So the PIC got cited as well as the RPh. I won't give out names, but don't tell what will or will not happen when you do not have sufficient experience to back up your claims. And the thing with the med guides is extremely serious since it will never be a primary offense. They will find something else and then go looking for more. Then they will go through the waiting bin and find 200 violations for not giving out the med guides.

4. Finally, I think everyone on both sides has had experiences with floaters or PICs, that make it difficult to separate and look at the situation objectively from an unbiased point of view. Maybe the type of pharmacist who told you they didn't care about your paper stapling policy, also happened to have a lot of other undesirable characteristics (and of course the corollary to that involving overbearing PICs) -- that's the vibe I get at least. In real life, I gotta think everyone involved in the post is mature enough to know which battles to pick when it comes down to it.
This is the only rational point you make in this entire screed. Yes, there are overbearing PIC's. But in that case, the AP should do what the PIC wants and keep the techs out of the middle and address the issues directly with the PIC, like an adult and a professional. If the AP still has a problem, he should address them with Supe or the DM. Putting the tech in the middle of a pissing contest is wrong. It's bad for the tech, bad for the store and reflects poorly on anyone who would do it. I have been working in drug stores since 1976 and I have been a pharmacist since 1982. having worked, LTC, retail independent, retail chain and PBM. I have been a staff pharmacist, a floater and a PIC. I have seen pretty much everything there is to see in a retail pharmacy and I am pretty unbiased. I can tell you what just about everybody else on this thread is trying to tell you. Your attitude is not conducive to the smooth running of a pharmacy or any business for that matter. In the current environment, keep it at your own peril.

Okay, let's take your arguments and destroy them one at a time.

I think a person who prides himself on reading comprehension, you certainly did not read the original post where the OP said the AP did not want them to give out:
"Drug information monographs print out and sometimes carry over to a 2nd page." This would be a corporate requirement.
"Also, a 3rd page sometimes prints, like "Important things you need to know about" [drug name] along with warnings and information." This is a description of the med guide and this is a legal requirement.

So basically there is NO GOOD reason for the AP to ask the tech do something that contravenes the order of the store manager. No clinical justification, no legal justification. There is NO reason that this material should not be dispensed and the tech should not assist the AP in violating the law and company policy. If the AP doesn't want to give the out, she can throw them away herself.

Every company has their own corporate structure. For the most part the district manager or pharmacy supervisor hires the pharmacists and places them in the store. Where you go off the rails is your lack of understanding of how the world works. Once the techs tell the PIC that what you are doing, the PIC will chat with you. If you insist on this, the PIC will be speaking to the Supe or the DM and sooner or later you will be transferred. After you get kicked out of a couple of places, the Supe/DM will send you to work overnights where you rarely get to interact with other humans. But sooner or later your I am the God of pharmacy and I don't have to follow the rules attitude will catch up to you and the boss will realize you are not worth the aggravation and then one of 10 bazillion people looking for a job will have yours. I have seen it happen many many times. The attitude you have is born of the time when they would higher anybody with a license (pulse was optional). Now there are many people hungry to have your job and for $50+ dollars per hour will gladly give out whatever paper the company wants.

Again, having been around longer than you, I have seen a Pharmacy Manager get cited and fined by the board for actions taken by an employee pharmacist. In PA, it is required to place the exp of the drug on the label if the exp date is less than one year from the dispensing date. We had an RPh who did not want to do this and so we failed a routine inspection and had 30 days to fix the violations. Same thing on the re-inspection. So the PIC got cited as well as the RPh. I won't give out names, but don't tell what will or will not happen when you do not have sufficient experience to back up your claims. And the thing with the med guides is extremely serious since it will never be a primary offense. They will find something else and then go looking for more. Then they will go through the waiting bin and find 200 violations for not giving out the med guides.

This is the only rational point you make in this entire screed. Yes, there are overbearing PIC's. But in that case, the AP should do what the PIC wants and keep the techs out of the middle and address the issues directly with the PIC, like an adult and a professional. If the AP still has a problem, he should address them with Supe or the DM. Putting the tech in the middle of a pissing contest is wrong. It's bad for the tech, bad for the store and reflects poorly on anyone who would do it. I have been working in drug stores since 1976 and I have been a pharmacist since 1982. having worked, LTC, retail independent, retail chain and PBM. I have been a staff pharmacist, a floater and a PIC. I have seen pretty much everything there is to see in a retail pharmacy and I am pretty unbiased. I can tell you what just about everybody else on this thread is trying to tell you. Your attitude is not conducive to the smooth running of a pharmacy or any business for that matter. In the current environment, keep it at your own peril.

There he goes again... I'm going to have to crush your weak semblance of an argument one more time -- one point at a time. Unreal.

1. I explicitly stated since my first post that the med guides need to be included by law. You continue to ignore my request to provide documentation for the backtracking accusation. Furthermore, the blatant logical fallacy you endorse assumes my argument is congruous with the AP's and that I endorse the full extent of his behavior and breaking the law through not including the med guides. Not the case, read more carefully next time.

2. Thank you. You prove my point exactly. The PIC still must go through the DM/Supe to have anything changed which is completely contrary to the "Staff Rph --> PIC --> DM" hypothesis. But complaining to the DM works both ways. Now, since you've been around the game so long, you should know / have seen this scenario -- if the AP can handle volume and is good with customers and the PIC wants to start a pissing contest over nitpicking company policies and procedures (like the extra sheets for example) AND the PIC wants to go whining to the DM/Supe about trivial issues like this -- one too many times and the PIC may be the one headed for different pastures. Especially in this day, it is basic risk management. Better hope the PIC has his or her chops up. This scenario is especially true for a company like you work for that, face it, is notorious for only caring about their bottom line. You make the error of assuming that because a pharmacist "cuts corners" while still within the law that he or she lacks the other traits desired by his or her employer. On the flip side you make the error of assuming that because the PIC is the Joe Friday of pharmacy that he or she contains all of the desired traits of his or her employer. I have seen plenty of anal-retentive PIC's from the days of past that winded up on overnights/floating because they couldn't hack it (read: keep up and/or know which battles to pick) and I'm sure you have too.

3. Again there will always be cases that are outliers. Any statistical analysis of a large group of cases would produce the same result. Without review of the case you cite, I cannot argue it as there are many unknowns (did the PIC also not change the dates, was it a system error that was not addressed, did the PIC document educating the other employees, etc. etc.). Regardless, even if that was the case beyond a shadow of a doubt which it very easily could be, this was not my argument as we all know the PIC is responsible for some, but not all things of the legal nature when he or she is not present -- which makes the point you were trying to prove with that example a moot point. However, if you read back, the phrase "responsible for everything" was used and THAT phrase is what I responded to. Clearly this is not the case. FURTHERMORE, if that is not enough, the topic of the law should have never been breached as support for the med guide inclusion has so far been 100% on this thread on both sides of the argument(s).

4. Your phrase "putting the tech in the middle of a pissing contest is wrong. It's bad for the tech, bad for the store and reflects poorly on anyone who would do it" -- is the entire crux of my argument. Thank you again. Now since you never explicitly stated it, do you agree with the PIC writing up the tech? Through basic interpretation of your exact quoted statement above and deductive logic (bad to put tech in middle, PIC puts tech in middle, therefore PIC behaves badly), it is apparent that you do not agree with the PIC's actions, as clearly the PIC falls under the category of "anyone". I'm glad we finally agree (sarcasm).

There he goes again... I'm going to have to crush your weak semblance of an argument one more time -- one point at a time. Unreal.

Blah blah blah....*snip*

You know... you're right. You are absolutely correct on ALL your points and everyone else in this thread is WRONG. Good job, dude! :smuggrin::thumbup::laugh:

StevePerry said:
we all know the PIC is responsible for some, but not all things of the legal nature when he or she is not present -- which makes the point you were trying to prove with that example a moot point. However, if you read back, the phrase "responsible for everything" was used and THAT phrase is what I responded to. Clearly this is not the case.

Citation please. Could you please produce a list of the things the PIC is responsible for and NOT responsible for? Please provide lists for all 50 states, DC and the territories, since there will be variations.

As I stated before, in my state the PIC is responsible for every part of the pharmacy operation, which is everything that goes on in the pharmacy. This means that he or she CAN be held liable for the actions of all pharmacy employees, including the other pharmacists. This does NOT mean that ALL discipline would occur in pairs, and I'd explain that to you, but I'm starting to think that you are either unable or unwilling to really read and understand because you are taking points that people are making to refute your arguments and claiming that they actually support your viewpoint. It's weird. :confused:

You know... you're right. You are absolutely correct on ALL your points and everyone else in this thread is WRONG. Good job, dude! :smuggrin::thumbup::laugh:

Citation please. Could you please produce a list of the things the PIC is responsible for and NOT responsible for? Please provide lists for all 50 states, DC and the territories, since there will be variations.

As I stated before, in my state the PIC is responsible for every part of the pharmacy operation, which is everything that goes on in the pharmacy. This means that he or she CAN be held liable for the actions of all pharmacy employees, including the other pharmacists. This does NOT mean that ALL discipline would occur in pairs, and I'd explain that to you, but I'm starting to think that you are either unable or unwilling to really read and understand because you are taking points that people are making to refute your arguments and claiming that they actually support your viewpoint. It's weird. :confused:

Face it, you can't address all the points I made in detail and refute them, so you fall back on blanket sarcasm in your opening remark. Although it is frustrating, I won't stoop to questioning your intelligence as everyone on here made it / is in the process of making it through professional school and are obviously not *****s. However, for whatever reason it is apparent you aren't reading closely or putting much thought into it -- which is fine (it IS just a freaking message board after all) -- but if you can't put some level of thought into it, I don't even know why you bother responding. At least Old Timer, although I may disagree with him on this issue, intersperses some level of thought and intelligence in his responses on a point by point (although not all point) basis between his jackass sarcasm/insults, which at least makes for a mildly stimulating debate.

Although it has nothing whatsoever to do with my point as I reference below and have said numerous times throughout this thread -- I'll indulge you on this one for s---- and giggles. I'm not sure what state you are in, but are you telling me a PIC can be held responsible for another pharmacist's reckless dispensing error (pharmacist puts wrong pills in bottle, verifies BID instead of QD, etc.) that said PIC had zero involvement with? Regardless of legal language in the statutes, was there a case in your state that set this precedent of interpretation? If so, care to cite it? If the answer to those questions is no, right there goes your EVERYTHING argument. On the flip side, how many cases identical to the aforementioned in your state resulted in no PIC discipline? You gotta be careful when you use words like "always", "everything", "never", etc.

What really gets me though is you can't even read the rest of the paragraph, i.e. the next sentence -- you know I'm not sure if you remember, but it was the part that said "blah blah...blah." Oh yeah in reality it said:

"FURTHERMORE, if that is not enough, the topic of the law should have never been breached as support for the med guide inclusion has so far been 100% on this thread on both sides of the argument(s)."

Finally, and honestly I'm not trying to be an ass about it, but if you are confused by techniques such as disproving a hypothesis or deductive reasoning or you think those techniques are "weird", all I can say is read them again, I'm sure you're smart enough to understand the concepts, trust me. Although in your defense, because I am responding on some level to 3 different people throughout the thread, I can see how it could get confusing to the casual observer if you just browsed the previous posts...

this whole argument could be null, If CVS's computer system wasn't so f'in horrible. Its a simple fix to have the extra pt information to print out on the back side of the label. They already print out the hippa info on the back side for a new pt, so its definitely possible. Basically they just have to add this SIMPLE fix to their software. Then if it is a new pt print the HIPPA info on the back and have an extra sheet for the pt information. Not only can CVS then call themselves GREEN but we can argue about something else. The people CVS hires to make their systems are f'in ******ed.
There is no reason for a pharmacy system to be so slow and f up so much. :thumbdown:

It's not an issue of comprehension for me and GOOD JOB not "stooping to question my intelligence." You didn't make it out of the paragraph without insulting me. :laugh: I didn't bother to refute all your points because Old Timer already did a fantastic job. You didn't seem to get his explanation, so I'm not going to waste my time.

In my state (Kentucky) the PIC is responsible for all pharmacy operations. Here's the relevant law: http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/201/002/205.htm My interpretation of what the law means comes from my pharmacy law professor, who is a PharmD/JD.

The PIC is responsible for all pharmacy operations. That means everything that goes on in the pharmacy. That's what being in charge means. Does that mean that the PIC would automatically face discipline for every incident that might occur? No, it's not the same thing. But the POTENTIAL for liability is there. It would depend on the facts of the situation. Of course there are examples we could dream up where the PIC would not be liable for someone's conduct. But there are equally as many where the PIC would be liable, particularly if the error was caused by a problem in pharmacy operations or policy or if the PIC knew that a pharmacist was violating the law/regulations/company policy and failed to correct it. Old Timer provided a good example above, but maybe you didn't believe it or didn't find it credible. I can provide more examples, but not if you aren't going to even give them objective evaluation.

At this point, I don't think you are even OPEN to alternative viewpoints, so why bother?

You're doing a terrible job of not being an ass. When almost everyone in the thread (including several pharmacists with YEARS of experience) are disagreeing with you, the problem is YOU and not THEM.

Face it, you can't address all the points I made in detail and refute them, so you fall back on blanket sarcasm in your opening remark. Although it is frustrating, I won't stoop to questioning your intelligence as everyone on here made it / is in the process of making it through professional school and are obviously not *****s. However, for whatever reason it is apparent you aren't reading closely or putting much thought into it -- which is fine (it IS just a freaking message board after all) -- but if you can't put some level of thought into it, I don't even know why you bother responding. At least Old Timer, although I may disagree with him on this issue, intersperses some level of thought and intelligence in his responses on a point by point (although not all point) basis between his jackass sarcasm/insults, which at least makes for a mildly stimulating debate.

Although it has nothing whatsoever to do with my point as I reference below and have said numerous times throughout this thread -- I'll indulge you on this one for s---- and giggles. I'm not sure what state you are in, but are you telling me a PIC can be held responsible for another pharmacist's reckless dispensing error (pharmacist puts wrong pills in bottle, verifies BID instead of QD, etc.) that said PIC had zero involvement with? Regardless of legal language in the statutes, was there a case in your state that set this precedent of interpretation? If so, care to cite it? If the answer to those questions is no, right there goes your EVERYTHING argument. On the flip side, how many cases identical to the aforementioned in your state resulted in no PIC discipline? You gotta be careful when you use words like "always", "everything", "never", etc.

What really gets me though is you can't even read the rest of the paragraph, i.e. the next sentence -- you know I'm not sure if you remember, but it was the part that said "blah blah...blah." Oh yeah in reality it said:

"FURTHERMORE, if that is not enough, the topic of the law should have never been breached as support for the med guide inclusion has so far been 100% on this thread on both sides of the argument(s)."

Finally, and honestly I'm not trying to be an ass about it, but if you are confused by techniques such as disproving a hypothesis or deductive reasoning or you think those techniques are "weird", all I can say is read them again, I'm sure you're smart enough to understand the concepts, trust me. Although in your defense, because I am responding on some level to 3 different people throughout the thread, I can see how it could get confusing to the casual observer if you just browsed the previous posts...

Listen Steve:

I have been a pharmacist a lot longer than you. Just because the PIC can't fire you does not mean he/she has no authority over you.

If the PIC tells a tech to do A and you countermand the PIC's instructions, you are causing problems in the pharmacy. Despite the PIC's instructions being fully compliant with company policy. In fact, you would tell the PIC to
to shove the extra papers up his/her ---

This is, of course, highly professional behavior. Not that I expect anything else from you as your attitude has been clearly demonstrated for all to all see.

You have obviously had experience with PIC's who fail to appreciate the wisdom and professionalism you bring to the job. Can't say I'm shocked at that either.

In short the OP is concerned because the AP can't get the job done and is willing to cut corners and violate the law and company policy and you blame this on the A_hole PIC who can get the job done while giving out all of the required paper work. He must be a real douche bag.

Listening to you is like being in Alice in Wonderland. Up is down and down is up.

While you never advocated not giving out med guides, if you read the OP, the main issue is speed and the AP certainly doesn't want the tech taking the time to separate the Med Guides from the other papers as it would take too long.

You are trying to create a power issue when none exists. This is not the A-hole anal-retentive PIC making unreasonable demands becuase he has a Napoleonic complex. He trains his techs to follow the law and company policy to the letter so when he is not there everything functions smoothly.

Unless the techs violate the law or company policy, you should not be telling them to disregard the orders of the PIC.

As far as im concerned, The PIC is responsible for everything related to the practice of pharmacy whether he is present or not...This is our state law...and it was in NY also..These threads are way too long to read....jeez...

As far as im concerned, The PIC is responsible for everything related to the practice of pharmacy whether he is present or not...This is our state law...and it was in NY also..These threads are way too long to read....jeez...

How long would someone last at Dr. M's pharmacy if they decided to tell the techs to not follow instructions you had given the tech?

Listen Steve:

I have been a pharmacist a lot longer than you. Just because the PIC can't fire you does not mean he/she has no authority over you.

If the PIC tells a tech to do A and you countermand the PIC's instructions, you are causing problems in the pharmacy. Despite the PIC's instructions being fully compliant with company policy. In fact, you would tell the PIC to

This is, of course, highly professional behavior. Not that I expect anything else from you as your attitude has been clearly demonstrated for all to all see.

You have obviously had experience with PIC's who fail to appreciate the wisdom and professionalism you bring to the job. Can't say I'm shocked at that either.

In short the OP is concerned because the AP can't get the job done and is willing to cut corners and violate the law and company policy and you blame this on the A_hole PIC who can get the job done while giving out all of the required paper work. He must be a real douche bag.

Listening to you is like being in Alice in Wonderland. Up is down and down is up.

While you never advocated not giving out med guides, if you read the OP, the main issue is speed and the AP certainly doesn't want the tech taking the time to separate the Med Guides from the other papers as it would take too long.

You are trying to create a power issue when none exists. This is not the A-hole anal-retentive PIC making unreasonable demands becuase he has a Napoleonic complex. He trains his techs to follow the law and company policy to the letter so when he is not there everything functions smoothly.

Unless the techs violate the law or company policy, you should not be telling them to disregard the orders of the PIC.

1. Nice, you finally addressed that astonishingly false accusation of backtracking (all the while ignoring the fact my views are not congruous with the AP's -- but it the most progress you may ever make, so I'll take it!). Thank you!

2. If you think in reality on the job I (or practically anyone else) am going to tell another pharmacist to shove the extra papers up his/her ass, you obviously take everything typed on here a tad too literally (take a day off from the big C for crying out loud). The statement was meant figuratively and for emphasis due to the ridiculousness of the PIC's behavior. Although if you're as big of an A-hole in real life as you are on here, I wouldn't be surprised if another coworker has broken down at some point and told you to shove something.

3. You still have not directly addressed why you blatantly stated it is bad to trap a tech in the middle, but what, it is okay if a PIC does it? You start training technicians they don't have to listen to the pharmacist on duty, and you think that's kosher? Here is a hypothetical yet perfectly reasonable scenario -- say a PIC threatens writeup on a tech if they don't complete the pulling of expired meds (or insert other housekeeping project) on a AP/floater/whatever's shift. Pharmacy gets busy and pharmacist on duty tells tech to stop and wait on customers. According to you the tech can just ignore the pharmacist on duty. The professional present should be respected and made to deal with the consequences of his or her actions good or bad. If the PIC has a problem with the pharmacist on duty, take it to him or her first and then to the DM who has the authority AND more importantly power to do something about it if they so choose. Unless it is a case where the PIC is judge, jury, executionioner, errr I mean PIC, DM (someday maybe?), and owner like our main man Dr M.

4. Although hideously off-target in usage, I will award you 2 points for working an Alice in Wonderland reference into this board.

In summary... You can get fired for making shortcuts. Why not follow the policies and prodecures of the company? If something were to happen, you can bet the company will not back you up. "I'm sorry, but StevePerry knows our policy is to attach the papers to the bag."

P.S. I think I last saw Epic on an episode of Jersey Shore. Wasn't he the guy who punched Snooki in the face?

P.S. I think I last saw Epic on an episode of Jersey Shore. Wasn't he the guy who punched Snooki in the face?

He doesn't hit girls...

And his hair is much longer than the dood who punched Snooki..

It's not an issue of comprehension for me and GOOD JOB not "stooping to question my intelligence." You didn't make it out of the paragraph without insulting me. :laugh: I didn't bother to refute all your points because Old Timer already did a fantastic job. You didn't seem to get his explanation, so I'm not going to waste my time.

In my state (Kentucky) the PIC is responsible for all pharmacy operations. Here's the relevant law: http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/201/002/205.htm My interpretation of what the law means comes from my pharmacy law professor, who is a PharmD/JD.

The PIC is responsible for all pharmacy operations. That means everything that goes on in the pharmacy. That's what being in charge means. Does that mean that the PIC would automatically face discipline for every incident that might occur? No, it's not the same thing. But the POTENTIAL for liability is there. It would depend on the facts of the situation. Of course there are examples we could dream up where the PIC would not be liable for someone's conduct. But there are equally as many where the PIC would be liable, particularly if the error was caused by a problem in pharmacy operations or policy or if the PIC knew that a pharmacist was violating the law/regulations/company policy and failed to correct it. Old Timer provided a good example above, but maybe you didn't believe it or didn't find it credible. I can provide more examples, but not if you aren't going to even give them objective evaluation.

At this point, I don't think you are even OPEN to alternative viewpoints, so why bother?

You're doing a terrible job of not being an ass. When almost everyone in the thread (including several pharmacists with YEARS of experience) are disagreeing with you, the problem is YOU and not THEM.

Believe me, I can be A LOT more caustic than I was in my last reply to you. I'm assuming you are trying to bait me? Not sure though...

First of all as I've said multiple times. I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE "LAW DEBATE" -- it was brought up erroneously. I'll drop that however as you backed down from your "liable for everything" statement.

As far as not being open to alternative viewpoints because I don't agree with your viewpoint -- seriously if you label me with that, you might want to go ahead and label yourself too. It is extremely annoying to get responses off the bat that have nothing to do with your point/post/etc. and call you out for things you never said or responses like your previous one that show you obviously didn't even TRY to understand my post (deductive reasoning is "weird", I mean c'mon!). It's like being stuck on the Bill O'Reilly/Keith Olbermann/Sarah Palin/whatever show incessantly where for whatever reason your opponent has nothing but framed talking points with no deviation -- so please understand my frustration.

In summary... You can get fired for making shortcuts. Why not follow the policies and prodecures of the company? If something were to happen, you can bet the company will not back you up. "I'm sorry, but StevePerry knows our policy is to attach the papers to the bag."

I can agree with most of that, but in case you ever want an alternative read to War and Peace (wouldn't recommend it), this thread was about more than that.

Wow this dude is taking pig headeness to a whole new level.

Hey Sparda.....Throw up one of your animated gif's of someone banging thier head against a wall.

I think I understand your frustration. It seems like you are frustrated that no matter how caustic you are, and no matter how rudely you act, you can't convince people of your INCORRECT viewpoint. I think you are just going to have to be frustrated about that. :shrug:

I haven't backed down one bit from my original assertion that the PIC is responsible for everything in the pharmacy and gets to make the decision about what papers are given to the patient along with their medication, which was the original point of this thread. What I am going to do is bow out of debating that point with you. Pretty much everyone else in this thread including our more experienced posters, has told you that you're wrong so we'll just leave it at that.

Cheers!

Believe me, I can be A LOT more caustic than I was in my last reply to you. I'm assuming you are trying to bait me? Not sure though...

First of all as I've said multiple times. I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE "LAW DEBATE" -- it was brought up erroneously. I'll drop that however as you backed down from your "liable for everything" statement.

As far as not being open to alternative viewpoints because I don't agree with your viewpoint -- seriously if you label me with that, you might want to go ahead and label yourself too. It is extremely annoying to get responses off the bat that have nothing to do with your point/post/etc. and call you out for things you never said or responses like your previous one that show you obviously didn't even TRY to understand my post (deductive reasoning is "weird", I mean c'mon!). It's like being stuck on the Bill O'Reilly/Keith Olbermann/Sarah Palin/whatever show incessantly where for whatever reason your opponent has nothing but framed talking points with no deviation -- so please understand my frustration.

Do you mean this guy:
http://www.motifake.com/demotivational-poster/0803/epic-fail-sports-fail-epic-forehead-weak-******-demotivational-poster-1206344902.jpg

Listen Guys:

I say we ignore this guy. I think we have all expressed our views and we will never convince him of anything. So I suggest we just go the ignore route. He has proved who and what he is and stands there for all the world to see. The ignore button works well for me..

I wonder if that hurt..

Do you mean this guy:
http://www.motifake.com/demotivational-poster/0803/epic-fail-sports-fail-epic-forehead-weak-******-demotivational-poster-1206344902.jpg

Wow this dude is taking pig headeness to a whole new level.

Hey Sparda.....Throw up one of your animated gif's of someone banging thier head against a wall.

I guess "pig-headedness" doesn't involve you not being able to substantiate your backtracking claim, or Old Timer not being able to justify his "not cool for anyone to trap a tech in the middle, but 'anyone' doesn't include PIC" statement, eh?

All4 -- I would take your opinion of my viewpoint being "incorrect" more seriously if you were more of one mind within your own viewpoints:

Post 64 -- "the PIC is LEGALLY responsible for everything"

Post 75 -- "Of course there are examples we could dream up where the PIC would not be liable for someone's conduct. But there are equally as many where the PIC would be liable" <--- even OJ's defense team coupled with Bill Clinton's mastery of the English language couldn't have reconciled these two statements (I'm just messing with you, don't take it so seriously)

I, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, could really care less about this ultra-trivial topic or anyone's opinion of it in the grand scheme of things -- I just think it is funny that a few select people, regardless of who is right or wrong, that are so sure of their opinions and so condescending in their replies provide such weak arguments chock-full of gaping holes. It is unbelievable how someone, again regardless of who is right or wrong, can be completely devoid of the capacity to respond on anything but a global level. So yeah, not really trying to convince anyone of anything -- just mainly arguing for argument's sake b/c I found some of the reasoning in the replies marginally lame at best.

Nice chatting with ya, it has been just wonderful, and cheerios right back atcha (All4, at least)! (Do we really not have a smiley face raising a glass of beer with all these freaking icons??)

I guess "pig-headedness" doesn't involve you not being able to substantiate your backtracking claim, or Old Timer not being able to justify his "not cool for anyone to trap a tech in the middle, but 'anyone' doesn't include PIC" statement, eh?

All4 -- I would take your opinion of my viewpoint being "incorrect" more seriously if you were more of one mind within your own viewpoints:

Post 64 -- "the PIC is LEGALLY responsible for everything"

Post 75 -- "Of course there are examples we could dream up where the PIC would not be liable for someone's conduct. But there are equally as many where the PIC would be liable" <--- even OJ's defense team coupled with Bill Clinton's mastery of the English language couldn't have reconciled these two statements (I'm just messing with you, don't take it so seriously)

I, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, could really care less about this ultra-trivial topic or anyone's opinion of it in the grand scheme of things -- I just think it is funny that a few select people, regardless of who is right or wrong, that are so sure of their opinions and so condescending in their replies provide such weak arguments chock-full of gaping holes. It is unbelievable how someone, again regardless of who is right or wrong, can be completely devoid of the capacity to respond on anything but a global level. So yeah, not really trying to convince anyone of anything -- just mainly arguing for argument's sake b/c I found some of the reasoning in the replies marginally lame at best.

Nice chatting with ya, it has been just wonderful, and cheerios right back atcha (All4, at least)! (Do we really not have a smiley face raising a glass of beer with all these freaking icons??)

Thanks OldTimer. The perfect picture to sum up this thread and StevePerry.

To you StevePerry this is all I have to say.....

Do you mean this guy:

Thanks OldTimer. The perfect picture to sum up this thread and StevePerry.

To you StevePerry this is all I have to say.....

Sorry bro, but you got busted on this thread -- and what do you know, we have a graphic representation!

douchebusters.jpg

Keep on lookin' for that phantom "backtrack" you braintrust you!

Listen Guys:

I say we ignore this guy. I think we have all expressed our views and we will never convince him of anything. So I suggest we just go the ignore route. He has proved who and what he is and stands there for all the world to see. The ignore button works well for me..

When OT gets tired of squaring someone away, you know it was some kind of special trainwreck...

When OT gets tired of squaring someone away, you know it was some kind of special trainwreck...

I agree with Old Timer. We should all just ignore this guy. He's been shown to be wrong over and over and yet still insists he's right. It's sad and not fun anymore. You can't save everyone, lol... :smuggrin:

LOL, OT is used to missing the tongue-in-cheek aspect of a comment from someone and tearing it apart like it is a national security issue or engaging some novice that can't debate at all and instead backs down. Regardless of who is right or wrong regarding the OP's initial issue or even any of the subsequent issues, OT and All4 can't directly explain their blatant contradictions as I point out earlier (bowing out instead) and Mountain just ignores the fact he made a direct non-opinion claim that he can't substantiate, instead resorting to his usual neanderthalian tactics post after post. These are the issues that kept the thread going, not trying to convince or "save" anyone. The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Page 3

This is a stupid thread...and not very interesting...and y'all fighting over dumbest goofy chit.