Getting into medical school after having a rough time in college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CEPF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've wanted to be a doctor my entire life and I am really starting to think that no medical is going to want anything to do with me.
Basically my current situation is I'm at a decently ranked 4-year-instituation and getting good grades.
However, I am having an incredibly rough time. I was not ready for this transition and I didn't help myself by choosing a school that was a poor fit.
I've had some mental health problems in the past (severe anxiety, depression, and some eating issues) but been in denial about their severity and they're becoming BAD.
I'm struggling my way through first semester but after this I just need some time to pull my head together. So I'm setting up to transfer to a two-year institution and move back home. Once I've gained some stablilty, I want return to a four year insitution.
So will transferring from a four-year to a two-year and then back to a four-year mean I will never get into medical school?
Honestly, I'm trying to stay at my original school, but it's terrible and the only thing that's stopping me from actually becoming suicidal is the knowlege that I only have to make it through December.

Members don't see this ad.

Your health is always the number one priority. Can you withdraw from classes to keep your GPA from tanking? It will be fine if your withdraw from your first semester of college, get the mental healthcare you need, and start fresh in your two-year to four-year transfer plan. While you will need to report transcripts for every college you have attended, you can explain why you needed to withdraw from classes for your first college term ever.

It will look fine if you can do well after your initial withdraw.

Do what you need to do to take care of your mental health first. Transfer, take time off, whatever it takes. See your doctor, see a psychiatrist, see a therapist, talk to someone or ANYONE.

As someone who's dealt with some really disgusting depression and suicidal ideation (and still working on it honestly), I want to make it clear that your own mental health is your #1 priority. Period. It's advice I wish someone had given me a lot earlier on.

Don't even worry about medical school for now, you'll do fine once you get back into a healthy enough place to do well in school. For now though, take care of yourself.

Reactions: 1 user