Getting licensed in California (frustrated and confused)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

countingpillsby5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am trying to figure this out and it's been confusing...or rather complete mess. If anyone has been through this process, please give me some advice. I got a job offer in California and I am graduating this May (Texas school). Has anyone ever applied for an intern license in California? The CA BOP requires paperwork (fingerprinting, passport photo, letter from the dean and TSBP). I already emailed TSBP by submitting an online form through open records and I haven't heard back.
Q: It's been 12 days and I haven't heard back from TSBP, has anyone experienced the same problem. Usually how long does it take? Is it the proper way to submit a request online or should I mail in the paper to TSBP for them to send it back to me?
Q: Assuming if this does go through, does anyone know if having an intern license in California speeds up the process of getting a pharmacist license?
Q: Should I choose Texas or California as primary state for licensing purposes? Are there pros and cons? There is always that little possibility of me moving back to Texas.
I am really trying to figure out the quickest way to do this. Thanks for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I am trying to figure this out and it's been confusing...or rather complete mess. If anyone has been through this process, please give me some advice. I got a job offer in California and I am graduating this May (Texas school). Has anyone ever applied for an intern license in California? The CA BOP requires paperwork (fingerprinting, passport photo, letter from the dean and TSBP). I already emailed TSBP by submitting an online form through open records and I haven't heard back.
Q: It's been 12 days and I haven't heard back from TSBP, has anyone experienced the same problem. Usually how long does it take? Is it the proper way to submit a request online or should I mail in the paper to TSBP for them to send it back to me?
Q: Assuming if this does go through, does anyone know if having an intern license in California speeds up the process of getting a pharmacist license?
Q: Should I choose Texas or California as primary state for licensing purposes? Are there pros and cons? There is always that little possibility of me moving back to Texas.
I am really trying to figure out the quickest way to do this. Thanks for all your help.
1) maybe the TSBP is just slow. you'll find out how slow the CA SBOP is soon too. I can't remember how long it took to get the letter from my state BOP (not Texas). If I was going to guess I'd say 2-3 weeks.
2) I don't think so. I heard you can get your ATT faster if you're from an in-state school though
3) If you want a faster ATT, put Texas as your primary state. You'll also get your results faster through Texas (3 business days, available online) vs California (up to a month, through snail mail)

From which state did you transfer from to California? If I decide to pick Texas, can I switch to California as my primary state after I am licensed in both states? Is this something that could be done? Someone told me in order for your secondary license to be active, you must keep your primary license active too? Is that true? Thanks for your response.

There is no upside to reciprocity unless you don't feel like taking NAPLEX again years from now. If you are taking NAPLEX as a new student you should get original licenses for both states and California does not allow licensure by reciprocity anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
From which state did you transfer from to California? If I decide to pick Texas, can I switch to California as my primary state after I am licensed in both states? Is this something that could be done? Someone told me in order for your secondary license to be active, you must keep your primary license active too? Is that true? Thanks for your response.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If you signed up for naplex and take it in Texas first, that is your primary state. You can transfer the score to CA and then take the law. I believe you can change to CA as the primary state. I took my naplex in CA and transfer score to another state, nabp has provided me option to change or stay with my primary state. I believe if you want your license to be active, make sure you renew it and comply with the CE requirements. Honestly if you're decided And went through all the hassle to be licensed in two states, why not keep it active.

Reactions: 1 user

SERIOUSLY READ MY NOTE ON THE BOTTOM AFTER THE ANSWERS FOR YOUR QUESTIONS!!!!

Q1: I'm thinking that the TSBP is just taking their time to submit their letter. I had to get MA BOP to submit one for me and it took 3 weeks (if I recall correctly).

Q2. I believe having an intern license doesn't make a difference. I have a friend who did not get his intern license when he moved back to CA and it was still the same wait time to get his RPh license after passing the NAPLEX and CPJE.

Q3. Not sure how to answer this one in terms of choosing a primary state. Regardless, pass the NAPLEX first and then score transfer and get licensed in both states individually. I wouldn't waste time doing reciprocity especially since others have mentioned that California doesn't do reiprocity.

NOTE:

Tl;dr: My understanding is that:
Apply for CA intern license before graduation = 1 year expiration
Apply for CA intern license after graduation = 2 year expiration

I honestly think you're applying for an intern license way too early unless you're ok with a 1 year expiration and believe you'll pass the NAPLEX and CPJE within that year. I had applied for a CA intern license before graduating and they only gave me a 1 year expiration. Unfortunately, due to financial and personal matters I wasn't able to become licensed (still not licensed yet, wish me luck on CPJE next week) within that year. CA BOP also refuses to allow me to renew my license or extend it because I've already completed my intern hours and because I haven't actually failed either exam 4 times yet. The consequence of this was less hours given to me at work and less income coming in. :(

If you're wondering why I think this, I found this part in CA Pharmacy law and it's also part of the intern renewal application for CA and the above is how I interpret it.

Edit: I also asked some colleagues of mine and they all have 2 year expiration dates because they applied for an intern license after graduation.

Business and Professions Code section 4208. Intern Pharmacist License (a) At the discretion of the board, an intern pharmacist license may be issued for a period of: (1) One to six years to a person who is currently enrolled in a school of pharmacy recognized by the board. (2) Two years to a person who is a graduate of a school of pharmacy recognized by the board and who has applied to become licensed as a pharmacist in California. (3) Two years to a foreign graduate who has met educational requirements described in paragraphs (1) and (2) of subdivision (a) of Section 4200. (4) One year to a person who has failed the pharmacist licensure examination four times and has reenrolled in a school of pharmacy to satisfy the requirements of Section 4200.1. (b) The board may issue an intern pharmacist license to an individual for the period of time specified in a decision of reinstatement adopted by the board. (c) An intern pharmacist shall notify the board within 30 days of any change of address. (d) An intern pharmacist whose license has been issued pursuant to paragraph (1) or (4) of subdivision (a) shall return his or her license, by registered mail, within 30 days of no longer being enrolled in a school of pharmacy. The intern pharmacist license shall be canceled by the board. Notwithstanding subdivision (c), an intern pharmacist license may be reinstated if the student reenrolls in a school of pharmacy recognized by the board to fulfill the education requirements of paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 4200. (e) A person who has not completed the experience requirements necessary to be eligible for the licensure examination may have his or her intern license extended for a period of up to two years at the discretion of the board if he or she is able to demonstrate his or her inability to exercise the privileges of the intern license during the initial license period.

Hi;
What is "the letter" that you are talking about? I didn't see it mentioned in the application. Thanks.

Hi;
What is "the letter" that you are talking about? I didn't see it mentioned in the application. Thanks.

We're referring to "the letter" that your state's board of pharmacy sends to the California Board of Pharmacy (assuming you accumulated intern hours outside of CA) and that you're applying from out of state (again out of state referring to the fact that you accumulated intern hours from outside of CA).

For example, for me, I graduated and accumulated intern hours in MA and had to have the MA BOP send a letter to verify my intern hours with CA BOP. So I basically sent the MA BOP form 17A-16 of the CA intern application and a typed letter with my signature explaining that I needed them to verify my internship hours with the CA BOP and for them to send their "letter" back to me at my address. I forgot if payment was involved so you may need to check with your state's BOP.

I believe if you are graduating from an accredited school after Jan 2016, you don't need to send the hours verification form anymore, just a stamp from your school and an official transcript.

I believe if you are graduating from an accredited school after Jan 2016, you don't need to send the hours verification form anymore, just a stamp from your school and an official transcript.

You may want to double check that. I believe on the application, you are required to submit a letter from your state's board of pharmacy validating you're an intern.

yeah, I was confused about that at first. But on the application info also states
"PHARMACY INTERN HOURS: You must qualify under A or B.
A. Graduated January 1, 2016 or After: Effective January 1, 2016, an applicant for the pharmacist
examination who has graduated on or after January 1, 2016 from an ACPE accredited college of
pharmacy or school of pharmacy recognized by the board shall be deemed to have satisfied the
pharmacy practice experience requirements and is not required to submit pharmacy intern affidavits
documenting the 1,500 intern hours."
So, if you are from an accredited school, you have your 1500 hrs.

yeah, I was confused about that at first. But on the application info also states
"PHARMACY INTERN HOURS: You must qualify under A or B.
A. Graduated January 1, 2016 or After: Effective January 1, 2016, an applicant for the pharmacist
examination who has graduated on or after January 1, 2016 from an ACPE accredited college of
pharmacy or school of pharmacy recognized by the board shall be deemed to have satisfied the
pharmacy practice experience requirements and is not required to submit pharmacy intern affidavits
documenting the 1,500 intern hours."
So, if you are from an accredited school, you have your 1500 hrs.

It was part of the checklist: "VERIFICATION OF LICENSE IN ANOTHER STATE If you currently hold or held a previous license in another state as a pharmacist, intern pharmacist, pharmacy technician and/or other health care professional, you must request each state agency to verify your license by completing the required Verification of License in Another State (form 17A-16). You need to submit only one form 17A-16 per state." This is the page 9 on the intern application. I assumed I had to get a letter from the Texas Board of Pharmacy.

Reciprocity is just away for them to get an extra $500 from you since you don't have to take the naplex. I think most states give you about 2 years to transfer the score