Getting Nervous... Should I even worry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nuitsansetoiles

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't want this to seem neurotic/troll-ish, but I'm just a bit confused.

So far, I have received 3 interview invites, but they were all from the end of August/early September. Now it's nearing mid-October and I haven't heard anything more from any schools: no interview invites, no rejections, just silence.

I have a 3.9/37 (though the MCAT was a retake), with decent though rather typical EC's. I was complete almost everywhere by August, and I feel like I applied to a good range of schools.

Maybe schools are just being bogged down with applications that were complete in August or I'm a very borderline applicant. I'm just getting increasingly nervous, and I'm wondering if there is any reason I should even be concerned?

Thanks for your patience.
 
Last edited:
I don't want this to seem neurotic/troll-ish, but I'm just a bit confused.

So far, I have received 3 interview invites, but they were all from the end of August/early September. Now it's nearing mid-October and I haven't heard anything more from any schools: no interview invites, no rejections, just silence.

I have a 3.9/37 (though the MCAT was a retake), with decent though rather typical EC's. I was complete almost everywhere by August, and I feel like I applied to a good range of schools.

Maybe schools are just being bogged down with applications that were complete in August or I'm a very borderline applicant. I'm just getting increasingly nervous, and I'm wondering if there is anything reason I should even be concerned?

Thanks for your patience.

More info is needed, i.e., number of schools applied to, name of schools, etc. to assess what's going on
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
More info is needed, i.e., number of schools applied to, name of schools, etc. to assess what's going on

I applied to 19:
Einstein
Columbia
Mount Sinai
NYMC
NYU
Weill Cornell (Interview)
UF (Interview)
UM
BU
Tufts
Harvard
Jefferson
UPenn
USC
GWU
Georgetown
Dartmouth
Baylor
Case Western (Interview)

I'm a Florida resident, btw.
 
I was kidding.

...Somewhat.

Remember that some schools interview later than others... and some schools never really tell you anything until they reject you... August of next year.
 
Actually, I am Asian, but I'm a girl.

But that can't seriously be the reason... right?

No, it cant. Your numbers are great, but you mentioned that your ECs are run-of-the mill. Numbers aside, does anything jump out and make you INTERESTING? With a school list like that, you do need something to really stand out at a lot of the schools you applied to if you want to get whisked up immediately. I am surprised you only applied to UF considering that you are a Florida resident... not that it matters, just surprising.

I am confident you will get in this year with numbers like that assuming you aren't "socially ******ed" or arrogant, but its likely you got the first pass-over simply for the reason that you weren't memorable. Admissions is about a lot more than numbers apparently. I am a re-applicant and my exit interviews basically said that my application was totally solid with numbers around the national average for accepted students in every category... just not memorable.

Again you have a much better chance of getting in than I do... so yeah, you'll be fine. Stop worrying. It wont help because there is nothing you can do about it. Send letters of interest if it will help you sleep at night. Will it make a big difference? no... but it wont hurt.


Alex
 
I applied to 19:
Einstein (?)
Columbia <-- highly competitive
Mount Sinai (?)
NYMC <---- tons of applications
NYU (?)
Weill Cornell (Interview)
UF (Interview)
UM <--- if UMass requires state ties
BU <--- tons of applications. No rejection yet is positive from BU though
Tufts (?)
Harvard <--- highly competitive
Jefferson <--- didnt get back to me last year
UPenn <-- highly competitive
USC <-- if south carolina requires state ties
GWU <---- tons of applications
Georgetown <-- highly competitive & really like to see initiative taken by applicants to communicate with the school from what I hear. Send letter of interest.
Dartmouth<--- highly competitive
Baylor <-- highly competitive
Case Western (Interview)

I'm a Florida resident, btw.

Im just saying, despite your numbers it makes sense due to your list. You will probably get in somewhere though. Again med school admissions is a black box no one really knows whats going on inside. Hope my annotations gave a little insight.
 
Can't speak for a lot of the other schools but as far as Baylor goes, their class is composed of 70% in-state applicants so being a Florida resident works against you there.
 
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some schools do take their time. You can always call to confirm that your application is complete.
 
hi op, i have a 3.6/37 and it's like that for me too. i have a similar school list, also asian and i received 4 interviews and 1 rejection in august. i haven't heard back from the other schools since then. i don't think that there is anything you can do about it besides send letters of interest or updates about what you have been doing since applying. just gotta be patient i suppose.
 
OP, You are well above average, scores wise. I could see that UF interview working out to an acceptance. What you need to do is take the initiative and be aggressive, not annoying, towards your programs of interest. When you have grades come in at the end of the semester, send them an update and restate your interest based on something very unique about the program. Also try to ask a question, this usually induces the reader to reply to you in some way other than thanks for the update it has been added to your file, also it acts as a psychological que that reminds the reader about you. Schools get tons of apps, they need to know why you, they need to be reminded you still exist and are very interested in the program and that interest is the real deal. Keep in mind not to over do it though, wait for ques or points in the app cycle that prompt you to respond. Good times to remind school you exist is when you get new grades, are put on hold (sometimes), you get an interview within the proximity of one of your schools ( Let them know you will be around and for how long, at least look around the campus and see if you can shake a few hands), 4 to 6 weeks after an interview ( thank your interviewer and remind them of your interest), or 4 to 6 weeks after you get waitlisted. Remember to follow the rules each school has for applicants. ( Some schools don't like updates) While it may feel quiet and slow on this side of the app table on the other side it is very busy and destracting. Be thankful you have what you have and don't worry, when the opportunity comes up to update a school, get up and do it. Good luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seriously, relax.
First of all, interview invites go out for quite a while; some schools take longer to process apps than others and some stagger who they offer interviews to first, etc.
Second of all, your scores are high and should give you a shot at any medical school (as someone mentioned above, as long as you aren't socially incompetent... it is entirely possible to talk yourself out of admittance even with high scores).
Third of all, three interviews so far is not a low amount. Anyway, you can't hear back from schools until after Oct. 17th (yes, it's the 15th, but that's a weekend this year) per AAMC rules. If you interview well, 3 interviews is plenty to get at least one acceptance.
 
I agree with what has been said. Almost all schools will get back to you so the fact that you have only heard from three, and that these three were interview invites, means that you have more invitations coming. (If you had gotten 3 invites and 10 rejections that might be a different story.) Some schools, especially some of the more selective ones, may send you an invite towards the later part of the interview season. This will hold even more if your ECs were "pretty average" since schools tend to invite their most interesting applicants first. This doesn't mean you should worry though. There were plenty of classmates of mine who interviewed as late as March and even a few who interviewed in April. And finally, three interviews isn't shabby at all. One or more of those could very well result in an acceptance. All you need is one... So don't worry, you're in good shape.
 
I don't want this to seem neurotic/troll-ish, but I'm just a bit confused.

So far, I have received 3 interview invites, but they were all from the end of August/early September. Now it's nearing mid-October and I haven't heard anything more from any schools: no interview invites, no rejections, just silence.

I have a 3.9/37 (though the MCAT was a retake), with decent though rather typical EC's. I was complete almost everywhere by August, and I feel like I applied to a good range of schools.

Maybe schools are just being bogged down with applications that were complete in August or I'm a very borderline applicant. I'm just getting increasingly nervous, and I'm wondering if there is any reason I should even be concerned?

Thanks for your patience.

Maybe you should worry less and thank God (or whoever you want) that you actually have invites (3 even). Some people would KILL to get interviews, and some people with similar stats don't get in anywhere (yes, I know a few). At some schools, LOR and ECs play a big role with II.

Whine less, be grateful moar...
 
Two years ago I hadn't even sent my primary application in at this juncture and I was accepted...so yeah...I think you're fine.
 
Better start practicing those osteopathic manipulation techniques OP...

In all seriousness, your school list is way too top heavy. It's like you picked the hardest schools of all to get into and nothing else. Should have added some some schools where you have better chances.