Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Getting off waitlist after starting at another school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by docbee18, 05.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. docbee18

docbee18 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I currently hold an acceptance at one school, and I was recently waitlisted at my top choice. However, this is what I'm worried about: the school where I was accepted starts classes three weeks earlier than my top choice school, and it is possible that I could get off the waitlist up until their orientation (after I will have already started class at the other school). Can you still get accepted off a waitlist if you have already matriculated somewhere else? I know this is not allowed with MD schools but does anyone know what the rule is for DO schools? Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. chizledfrmstone

chizledfrmstone MSIII SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think you can do that.

4. abolt18

abolt18 Turkey can never beat cow 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't see why not. It'd be a unique situation, but maybe? As long as they will not charge you your tuition you could do it.

5. bionerd89

bionerd89 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Don't you have to pay for tuition before class starts?

6. docbee18

docbee18 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah it's technically due by registration. They do mention a late payment fee though, so as long as I could be absolutely sure that they wouldn't kick me out for not paying on time, I'd probably just pay the late fee and hold out for that waitlist for a week or two. I actually just found an older thread mentioning that a couple people did change schools after getting off a waitlist, so I guess it's not impossible.

7. medickdb

medickdb 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Some schools will refund 100% of your tuition paid if you leave the school within the first week.

Hakuna Matata likes this.
  8. Hakuna Matata

Hakuna Matata 2+ Year Member

This is true of several schools, so check your specific one docbee.

9. Oo Cipher oO

Oo Cipher oO Clever Sir 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Navy
    It happened to one of my classmates. He got off the wait list at our school 3 days after class already started. Definitely look at the school policy but I know it has happened before. 3 days is way different than 3 weeks...

10. docbee18

docbee18 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'll be sure to check with the school about their specific policies. Thanks for the responses!

11. WhyDoWeFall

WhyDoWeFall 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know for a fact that LECOM will get you a refund if you bail out after the first week to go to another school. My friend did this, you just have to talk to the Dean

12. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that my school has lost some students on day 1-2 of the first semester when those kids got accepted into an MD school.

13. WesternRedCedar

WesternRedCedar

Pre-Medical
    That would be such a hassle to have to relocate...give up any potential lease's for housing etc.

r0703 likes this.

About the ads