Other OT-Related Information Getting OT-related experiences & working to make myself and stronger applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PositivOT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Main Questions:

1) I really don't want to have to take two gap-years, but since I have to retake some classes and take two more pre-reqs, I feel like I have no other choice and would need to apply for the 2020-2021 application cycle. Does anyone have advice on what I should be doing this year before I apply next year? I just feel like I would be rejected if I applied now with my current GPA and pre-req GPA. If you have experience applying with stats or an experience like mine, I'd love to hear about it!

2) I really love helping people and working with them 1-on-1, which is one of the things I enjoy most about being a rehab tech. What are some good ways of getting OT-related experience outside of general inpatient/outpatient settings? While observing is interesting to me, I also love being able to interact and talk with people during treatments and would really like to learn about different opportunities that are available to gain a wide-range of OT experiences.

3) With lower stats, I'm really worried about not being able to get into schools. I was incredibly involved during undergrad and I know that OTCAS likely will ask for my extracurriculars and I feel like I have a lot that I could have written down from undergrad but won't have much a year from now. What are some ways to get involved in fun, OT-relevant activities this year? Also, would it be appropriate to include my undergrad involvement on my application next year even though it'll be a year out since I will have last participated in them?

I apologize for writing so much, I've clearly been letting this all stir in my brain for a bit too long! I would love to get in touch with anyone who is applying or is currently in OT school to learn more about your experiences!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Background & Stats:

Hi everyone! I recently graduated with a B.S. in Exercise Science and I'm working as a rehab tech at a PT clinic. This clinic is primarily focused around PT but there is an OT working there as well, more specifically, a hand therapist. While I enjoy PT, I've become more and more interested in OT over the past few months. I just know that I want to go into rehab because of a personal experience that really opened my eyes to how life-changing it can be. I have around 240 hours of PT observation (~200 of these being in the clinic I spoke of earlier with an OT) and others being in both inpatient and university settings. I'm currently working on getting OT observation hours from the hospital in my town in both inpatient and outpatient settings but it has been taking a while to get things scheduled.

When it comes to my GPA, I'm definitely not in the best place, since I graduated with a 3.157 cumulative GPA. My GPA was dragged down by courses that I didn't need for my major but took because I thought I was interested in a different career path at the time (with my lowest grades being in both Organic Chemistry I & II). I'm retaking some classes this year at a community college because the closest 4-year university is about 90 minutes away so this is the best decision for me financially. I'm hoping to increase my GPA and pre-req GPA, including Biology I & II and Physics I (I received a C+ in each). I'm also taking two pre-reqs that I haven't taken yet, with Abnormal Psychology in the fall and Lifespan & Human Development in the spring. I'm also taking the GRE next week and have been preparing to the best of my ability all summer.

Main Questions:

1) I really don't want to have to take two gap-years, but since I have to retake some classes and take two more pre-reqs, I feel like I have no other choice and would need to apply for the 2020-2021 application cycle. Does anyone have advice on what I should be doing this year before I apply next year? I just feel like I would be rejected if I applied now with my current GPA and pre-req GPA. If you have experience applying with stats or an experience like mine, I'd love to hear about it!

2) I really love helping people and working with them 1-on-1, which is one of the things I enjoy most about being a rehab tech. What are some good ways of getting OT-related experience outside of general inpatient/outpatient settings? While observing is interesting to me, I also love being able to interact and talk with people during treatments and would really like to learn about different opportunities that are available to gain a wide-range of OT experiences.

3) With stats like mine, I'm really worried about not being able to get into schools. I was incredibly involved during undergrad, working as Resident Assistant for 3 years, a campus tour guide for 3 years, an Orientation Leader for 1 summer, and being in a co-ed community service fraternity during my senior year. I know that OTCAS likely will ask for my extracurriculars and I feel like I have a lot that I could have written down from undergrad but won't have much a year from now. What are some ways to get involved in fun, OT-relevant activities this year? Also, would it be appropriate to include my undergrad involvement on my application next year even though it'll be a year out since I will have last participated in them?

I apologize for writing so much, I've clearly been letting this all stir in my brain for a bit too long! I would love to get in touch with anyone who is applying or is currently in OT school to learn more about your experiences!

Thanks in advance!
Hi There! I was in your shoes a year ago, and I am happy to say that starting next week I will be starting in a MSOT at Sacred Heart University. As far as the low pre-req's go, I earned a C+ in Anatomy my freshman year and I was so worried about how that was going to impact my application because anatomy is one of the key classes you have to know. So just know that you can still get in with some low grades in pre-req's. My internship experience was amazing. I interned at a care center for adults with special needs, and it was set up as a school setting. There was different rooms and the students would come M-F from 9-4. Everyday I was there I was in a classroom for that day, so my day was spent interacting and spending time with the people in my room. I learned so much about adults with special needs and how OT can be used for so many different impairments. As far as your undergrad involvement I don't think there is any harm in putting that on your application. I definitely think you should put the community service involvement because that can be important to some schools. If you have anymore questions just let me know! I hope I helped you out in some way though! Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi There! I was in your shoes a year ago, and I am happy to say that starting next week I will be starting in a MSOT at Sacred Heart University. As far as the low pre-req's go, I earned a C+ in Anatomy my freshman year and I was so worried about how that was going to impact my application because anatomy is one of the key classes you have to know. So just know that you can still get in with some low grades in pre-req's. My internship experience was amazing. I interned at a care center for adults with special needs, and it was set up as a school setting. There was different rooms and the students would come M-F from 9-4. Everyday I was there I was in a classroom for that day, so my day was spent interacting and spending time with the people in my room. I learned so much about adults with special needs and how OT can be used for so many different impairments. As far as your undergrad involvement I don't think there is any harm in putting that on your application. I definitely think you should put the community service involvement because that can be important to some schools. If you have anymore questions just let me know! I hope I helped you out in some way though! Good luck!!
Thank you so much for responding and congratulations on being accepted to a MSOT program! This was super helpful! It sounds like such a great opportunity and I feel like it would be something that I would really enjoy! I definitely need to look into whether or not there are care centers like this nearby that I can work or volunteer at over the next year or two. Thank you again and best of luck with your first year of OT school!

Members don't see this ad :)

Sacred Heart is one of my top choices! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Sacred Heart is one of my top choices! Would you mind sharing your stats?
Sure!
University: Lasell College
Major: Health Science
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.64
Pre-Req GPA: 3.42(I know this isn't the best so I was really worried about that bringing my application down)
GRE: Verbal: 155 Q: 157 AW:4.0
Volunteer hours: 60 Hours at geriatric in-patient care facility. 150 Hours at Charles River care center, which is the care center for adults with special needs that I described in my earlier post.
Extracurricular/Volunteer: Played basketball for my college all 4 years. I was treasurer of Health Science club my junior year and then elected to be president of that same club for my senior year. The head of my department asked me to represent the health science major and speak at the trustees and board of overseers meeting. During every summer home from college I volunteered at a local high school to help students in the summer school math class, this added up to roughly 250 hours of volunteer work.
I also applied to D'youville(denied), MCPHS(waitlisted), Emory and Henry(denied), and University of the Sciences-Philadelphia(accepted)

As far as when you hear back from SHU, I submitted my application late September, was emailed in December saying I was invited for an interview, January 15th was the interview, and they emailed me the next day saying I got in. So the turn around rate after the interview is very quick. If you have any other questions about SHU or the admission process let me know!

Background & Stats:

Hi everyone! I recently graduated with a B.S. in Exercise Science and I'm working as a rehab tech at a PT clinic. This clinic is primarily focused around PT but there is an OT working there as well, more specifically, a hand therapist. While I enjoy PT, I've become more and more interested in OT over the past few months. I just know that I want to go into rehab because of a personal experience that really opened my eyes to how life-changing it can be. I have around 240 hours of PT observation (~200 of these being in the clinic I spoke of earlier with an OT) and others being in both inpatient and university settings. I'm currently working on getting OT observation hours from the hospital in my town in both inpatient and outpatient settings but it has been taking a while to get things scheduled.

When it comes to my GPA, I'm definitely not in the best place, since I graduated with a 3.157 cumulative GPA. My GPA was dragged down by courses that I didn't need for my major but took because I thought I was interested in a different career path at the time (with my lowest grades being in both Organic Chemistry I & II). I'm retaking some classes this year at a community college because the closest 4-year university is about 90 minutes away so this is the best decision for me financially. I'm hoping to increase my GPA and pre-req GPA, including Biology I & II and Physics I (I received a C+ in each). I'm also taking two pre-reqs that I haven't taken yet, with Abnormal Psychology in the fall and Lifespan & Human Development in the spring. I'm also taking the GRE next week and have been preparing to the best of my ability all summer.

Main Questions:

3) With stats like mine, I'm really worried about not being able to get into schools. I was incredibly involved during undergrad, working as Resident Assistant for 3 years, a campus tour guide for 3 years, an Orientation Leader for 1 summer, and being in a co-ed community service fraternity during my senior year. I know that OTCAS likely will ask for my extracurriculars and I feel like I have a lot that I could have written down from undergrad but won't have much a year from now. What are some ways to get involved in fun, OT-relevant activities this year? Also, would it be appropriate to include my undergrad involvement on my application next year even though it'll be a year out since I will have last participated in them?

Thanks in advance!

1) I was going through almost the exact same thing 3-4 years ago! I had already had a 2 year gap when I decided I was ready to apply for OT programs, unfortunately I was rejected. I decided to retake some pre-reqs to improve my GPA at a local community college (plus some were expiring) and continue working as a tech until I reapplied. I had to retake anatomy + phys, stats, and I took an abnormal psych class.

2) I was a rehab tech full time during the application process, but I had also reached out to school districts and local outpatient clinics to get different exposure. By the time I reapplied I had over 1000 hours including my rehab tech experience, shadowing a school OT, and a neuro OT and PT team.

3) Schools know it is difficult getting observation hours nowadays. However, at your community college (or even alma mater) they should have adapted physics education classes for students with disabilities. They are always in need of TA or trainers to help keep them safe and maybe even modify exercises for them. Definitely something you can check out. I also volunteered for the Special Olympics (First Aid), not exactly OT related, but it does give you first hand experience on outside perspectives of families with special needs. Definitely appropriate to include your undergrad extra curricular involvement.

Hoped this helped! Good luck!

Background & Stats:

Main Questions:

Thanks in advance!

Hello there! With regards to your 1st question on what to do in the year before applying next cycle: Provided you have the necessary prereqs taken already, I honestly think it can't hurt to apply now for the 2019-2020 cycle and at the same time take a few courses at a local community college to continue to raise your GPA. If this cycle results in no acceptances, by this time next year you should have a few extra courses to raise your GPA in time to reapply for the 2020-2021 cycle.

Which also links to your 3rd question: Not all schools focus solely on grades. While grades are definitely important, they also take into consideration other parts of your application: extracurriculars, life experience, a powerful personal statement - so if anything, maybe put some focus on your personal statement if you feel your grades may not be where you want them to be.

Hope this helps & good luck!

1) I was going through almost the exact same thing 3-4 years ago! I had already had a 2 year gap when I decided I was ready to apply for OT programs, unfortunately I was rejected. I decided to retake some pre-reqs to improve my GPA at a local community college (plus some were expiring) and continue working as a tech until I reapplied. I had to retake anatomy + phys, stats, and I took an abnormal psych class.

2) I was a rehab tech full time during the application process, but I had also reached out to school districts and local outpatient clinics to get different exposure. By the time I reapplied I had over 1000 hours including my rehab tech experience, shadowing a school OT, and a neuro OT and PT team.

3) Schools know it is difficult getting observation hours nowadays. However, at your community college (or even alma mater) they should have adapted physics education classes for students with disabilities. They are always in need of TA or trainers to help keep them safe and maybe even modify exercises for them. Definitely something you can check out. I also volunteered for the Special Olympics (First Aid), not exactly OT related, but it does give you first hand experience on outside perspectives of families with special needs. Definitely appropriate to include your undergrad extra curricular involvement.

Hoped this helped! Good luck!
Thank you so much for the reply! I apologize for taking so long to get back to you! I've been shadowing a ton, working, and just started taking classes at my community college. I actually have around 280-ish hours so far of rehab tech work as well as about 20 hours of OT observation hours (a mix of inpatient and outpatient) from the last two weeks and I'm planning to keep that going over the next few months. One good thing is that I absolutely love it and I'm really feeling like OT is the right career for me (I've been between OT and PT for a while now so this is great).

I definitely think I should reach out to school districts over the next couple of weeks to see if I can get some OT exposure there too! That's one thing I haven't looked into at all yet so I feel like that could be very beneficial to broadening my OT experiences. I've been super busy between working, taking classes, and shadowing but I really think I would love to get more experience whenever I can!

Your post was incredibly helpful! Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Hello there! With regards to your 1st question on what to do in the year before applying next cycle: Provided you have the necessary prereqs taken already, I honestly think it can't hurt to apply now for the 2019-2020 cycle and at the same time take a few courses at a local community college to continue to raise your GPA. If this cycle results in no acceptances, by this time next year you should have a few extra courses to raise your GPA in time to reapply for the 2020-2021 cycle.

Which also links to your 3rd question: Not all schools focus solely on grades. While grades are definitely important, they also take into consideration other parts of your application: extracurriculars, life experience, a powerful personal statement - so if anything, maybe put some focus on your personal statement if you feel your grades may not be where you want them to be.

Hope this helps & good luck!
Thank you so much for the advice! I was considering applying this cycle but since I wasn't 100% sure if OT was the right path for me until recently, so I pushed it off. I also had an advisor tell me that I shouldn't apply until after I retake some pre-reqs, which is a big part of why I didn't even consider it. I definitely think my personal experience and extracurriculars are things that I can use to help my applications. Though I've never had to go to an OT myself, a family member had to go through intense PT/OT after a tragedy out whole family experienced and watching their whole life make a 180 turn and go from completely dependent on me and others in our family to completely independent is really why I want to do it. As for my extracurriculars, I'm a big go-getter who loves to take advantage of every opportunity that I feel can enrich my life and the lives of others, if it's studying abroad, working in mobile clinics, or holding 3 jobs and multiple leadership positions on campus at the same time. I feel like I would be able to share my passion and personality in an interview but I'm just worried that I won't get the chance if my GPA isn't better.

Thank you so much for the advice! I was considering applying this cycle but since I wasn't 100% sure if OT was the right path for me until recently, so I pushed it off. I also had an advisor tell me that I shouldn't apply until after I retake some pre-reqs, which is a big part of why I didn't even consider it. I definitely think my personal experience and extracurriculars are things that I can use to help my applications. Though I've never had to go to an OT myself, a family member had to go through intense PT/OT after a tragedy out whole family experienced and watching their whole life make a 180 turn and go from completely dependent on me and others in our family to completely independent is really why I want to do it. As for my extracurriculars, I'm a big go-getter who loves to take advantage of every opportunity that I feel can enrich my life and the lives of others, if it's studying abroad, working in mobile clinics, or holding 3 jobs and multiple leadership positions on campus at the same time. I feel like I would be able to share my passion and personality in an interview but I'm just worried that I won't get the chance if my GPA isn't better.

Totally, I hear you and I could see how that would make for a better application if you wait until next cycle. On the plus side, one year seems far away, but it really does go so quickly, so at least there's that!

Status
Not open for further replies.